B&W Research Thread

CPU:

I just tested this and the answer is no to your question.

No other attack to my knowledge has an extra effect that causes an untargeted Pokemon to suffer an effect at the same time the attack is used.

I know it was tested that Transform no longer copies catch rate, I wasn't sure if anyone had tested if it copied EXP yeild.

I sent out an Audino against a level 63 Ditto in Giant Chasm and allowed Ditto to transform into it.
When my Victini defeated it it gained ~2000 EXP (with a lucky egg)
I then faced a level 53 Audino with Victini, after defeating it I gained close to 6000 EXP.

Victini was level 59, so if Tranform copied te yield then Ditto should have given much more than a level 53 Audino, proving that it no longer has this effect.

Sorry if this has been discovered already.

Slightly:

A Pokemon's species is not copied with Transform, even though its user takes on the opponent's appearance. Thus, a Pokemon's base experience and catch rate will not be copied either, since both are derived from the Pokemon's species. However, the opponent's weight will be copied.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Slightly:

A Pokemon's species is not copied with Transform, even though its user takes on the opponent's appearance. Thus, a Pokemon's base experience and catch rate will not be copied either, since both are derived from the Pokemon's species. However, the opponent's weight will be copied.
If a Pokemon's species is not copied, that would seem to imply that Metal Powder and Quick Powder would still give Ditto their boosts after Transform is used. Is that now the case?

I don't think this has been tested yet, but Clear Smog's effect does not work through Substitute. My Gurdurr Bulked Up 6 times behind a Substitute, and after a Clear Smog, still had the message that its Attack and Defence couldn't go any higher.

If a Pokemon's species is not copied, that would seem to imply that Metal Powder and Quick Powder would still give Ditto their boosts after Transform is used. Is that now the case?
I was always curious about that. Maybe Transform only copies battle parameters, like Species, moveset, weight, etc? Perhaps catch rate is left out when copied.

Demo-Kun, TheMaskedNitpicker:

I may in fact be mistaken when I stated that the species isn't copied. However, it is probably the case that things that check a Pokemon's catch rate, experience, and so on use the Pokemon's original species, not its current (copied) species. Quick Powder loses its Speed boost after Ditto uses Transform; this may imply that the check whether Quick Powder applies uses its holder's current (copied) species.

Update:

In fact, Quick Powder and Metal Powder not only check whether the Pokemon is a Ditto, but also whether the Pokemon has transformed. A Pokemon under the effect of Transform is still its original species; thus, things that check catch rate, experience, and so on use only the Pokemon's original species. This can explain why those two items lose their effects while a Ditto has transformed, without having Transform copy the other Pokemon's species.

Few months late, but the OP is finally up to date.
I've also added several game mechanic questions that still need to be answered.

This is to be expected. Wonder Skin changes the accuracy of non-damaging attacks against its bearer to 50 (before other accuracy-modifying effects.) This is unlike most other effects that modify accuracy, such as evasiveness and BrightPowder. In this way, for example, Leer and Heal Block, which both have an accuracy of 100, will have an accuracy of 50 instead. As another example, Hypnosis, which has an accuracy of 60, will have an accuracy of 50 (not 30) instead.
Did you test Attract, Charm, Captivate, Charm, Confuse Ray, Cotton Spore, Disable, Embargo, Encore, Entrainment, Fake Tears, Flash, Flatter, Gastro Acid, Growl, Memento, Quash, Roar, Sand Attack, Simple Beam, Smokescreen, Soak, Spite, Spore, Sweet Scent, Switcheroo, Tail Whip, Taunt, Teeter Dance, Tickle, Torment, Trick, Whirlwind and Worry Seed(and several others)? Or have you reached this conclusion from testing Sing, Heal block, Hypnosis and Leer alone?

When the effect of Wish ends at the end of the second round, the Pokémon
at the position the user occupied when Wish was used will be healed,

The chance that Harvest will restore a Berry in a condition other
than sunlight is 50%.

I brought this up in IRC all excited but nobody is sure of the results: does Phione benefit from the defense boosts of Eviolite? The general consensus is no, since it doesn't evolve, but the Phione/Manaphy evolutionary chain is complex enough so that the boosts might apply.

I would test this myself, but I am severely lacking in the stuff needed (a Manaphy/Phione and two DS systems to transfer it over).

The Pokemon Pimp:

For the purpose of Eviolite, Phione doesn't have a higher evolutionary form; thus it doesn't receive the Defense boosts from Eviolite.

In my belief, the confusion lies in the egg generation process with Manaphy. In general, the species hatched from an egg is that of the female, in the lowest evolutionary stage. However, the lowest evolutionary form of Manaphy is Manaphy, not Phione, so the game uses the following rule: "If the baby species would be Manaphy, the baby species is Phione instead." This rule is similar to rules that force a higher evolution unless a certain item is held, such as: "If neither parent is holding a Sea Incense and the baby species would be Azurill, the baby species is Marill instead."

I had a Phione sitting in my PC, so I decided to "test" it anyway (even though I think it was tested before?) since why not.

After an exceedingly obnoxious rate of encounters that did not want to cooperate (nothing but Lillipups with it off, Patrats with it on, criticals when I did run into the right things argle) damage was the same from Level 2 Lillipups using Tackle with no criticals or leering

Slightly:

I believe however that this is different from previous generations. I remember people exploiting Mew's Transform in Emerald to give it a higher catch rate. Both this and EXP yeild are listed as effects copied by transform on Serebii (I know it doesn't have the best information). I assume that this was the case previously, and that the mechanics of Transform have changed. Hence why I tested it.

Possibly interesting, if a Pokemon uses endure the same turn you use false swipe, it will still say it endured the hit. Sturdy's message however will not show up.

Feint DOES NOT break endure. Once again tested in double grass on US Black, with feint-ing riolu and endure victini. It stated Victini endured the hit.

Slightly:

In previous generations, the move Transform did indeed copy the Pokemon's species, and effects that checked a Pokemon's initial catch rate used that Pokemon's current species. I have this in the catch rate formula for generation 3 and 4: "C = catch rate, initially equal to the rareness value for the wild Pokémon's current species"

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So it is fixed now?
I still can't use Random Matchup with a Pokémon that knows Sky Drop, so I'm guessing it hasn't been fixed.

Why isn't this fixed, anyhow? In 3rd gen, Berries were fixed with a patch that you had to download. You'd think that would be even easier today, since the games are Wi-Fi enabled.

TheMaskedNitpicker:

Presumably, so-called "patching" was possible with the Ruby and Sapphire Game Paks because the game program was writable, albeit through more complicated processes. Probably, the DS games couldn't be updated in the same way because the game program is read only in the Game Cards; thus the only way to "update" them is to release new versions of the Game Card in stores, which is normally not obvious to users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)