B&W Research Thread

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
As far as I understand, a critical capture has roughly twice the chance of succeeding.

The way it works is this:
A standard catch checks 4 times - 3 shakes and stars.
A critical catch checks twice - 1 shake and stars.

Thus, a critical capture has about twice the chance of success.
Actually, considering how it worked in DPPt, a normal capture has a x^4 chance of working, while a critical one would have a x^2 chance.

This is more of an in-game Programming thing and it's probably useless here, but it's a note nonetheless.

The Base Experience Yields of Pokémon were changed in the 5th Generation to fit with the new formula. These also follow a formula:

First Pokémon in evolution: 4/20 (1/5) of BST, rounded to the nearest whole number
Second or Only Pokémon in evolution: 7/20 of BST, rounded to the nearest whole number
Third or Legendary Pokémon in evolution: 9/20 of BST, rounded to the nearest whole number

Phione counts as a legendary as far as this goes.

There are a few exceptions, though, most of which have to do with Abilities (but not all):
-the Unova starters have a yield of 28, the lowest in the game, since you fight two of them in the very beginning
-Archen and Archeops would have yields of 80 and 198 if they followed the formula. Instead, they have 71 (equivalent to Tirtouga) and 177 (much closer to Carracosta, equivalent to 505)
-Volcarona is counted as a third stage as far as its yield goes (Larvesta is still counted as a first stage)
-Slaking has a BST of 560 as far as this calculation goes because of Truant.
-Happiny, Chansey, Blissey, and Audino use 8 for the denominator instead of 20 in their experience yields: 4/8 (1/2), 7/8, 9/8. (This seems to be approximate, as 7/8 for both Chansey and Audino don't exactly give the proper yields)

And a few other notes:
-The rounding is as follows: <.5, round down; > or equal to .5, round up.
-Cascoon and Dustox appear to have the wrong Experience Yields; it looks like Game Freak counted them as first and second stage Pokémon instead of second and third, as their yields are lower than Silcoon's and Beautifly's.
-Regigigas's yield is what it would be for any Legendary with a 670 BST, despite Slow Start.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but has anyone else noticed that there's no fixed experience amount earned from defeating an enemy pokemon?? The difference in the pokemons' levels seems to be what affects how much experience you earn. Is there anything else besides the difference in levels that affects experience gain (not factoring in original trainer, lucky egg, or experience share)??

According to my in-game tests:

Poison Touch gives its bearer a 30% chance to cause poison with its
direct attacks (not 20% as was previously believed). This chance is
independent of the additional effect chance the attack may have.
For example, Poison Jab combined with Poison Touch
will result in a 51% chance to cause poison, and Crunch combined with Poison
Touch will result in a 6% chance to both decrease the opponent's Defense
and couse poison.

Accordingly, my description for Poison Touch now reads:

Whenever a non-bearer is hit by a direct attack by the bearer, that non-bearer may be poisoned (30% chance; considered an additional effect by Shield Dust but not Serene Grace; prevented by Safeguard and Substitute).

The items King's Rock and Razor Fang and the Ability Stench each gives all damaging attacks by their bearer a 10% chance to flinch the opponent, except if the attack already has an additional effect of causing flinching. Stench is not cumulative with King's Rock and Razor Fang, and vice versa. Accordingly, my description for these items and this Ability are now:

Stench:

Whenever a non-bearer is hit by a damaging attack by the bearer that doesn't have an additional effect of causing its opponent to flinch, that non-bearer may flinch this round (10% chance; considered an additional effect; not cumulative with King's Rock or Razor Fang; prevented by Substitute).

King's Rock/Razor Fang:

Whenever a non-holder is hit by a damaging attack by the holder that doesn't have an additional effect of causing its opponent to flinch, that non-holder may flinch this round (10% chance; considered an additional effect; not cumulative with Stench; prevented by Substitute).

lmitchell0012:

In addition to the things you mentioned, the opponent's base experience, the language version of the attacking Pokemon, and whether the player's Exp. Point Power is active (which is a power received by completing Entralink missions) can all influence how many Exp. Points a Pokemon can gain.

Just got the Pokedex book, it claims a Pokemon can't be frozen in the sun. I'm not sure if this is how it worked in the past, but if it could be tested just to be veriffied, that would be awesome.

Just got the Pokedex book, it claims a Pokemon can't be frozen in the sun. I'm not sure if this is how it worked in the past, but if it could be tested just to be veriffied, that would be awesome.
This has been true for the past few generations. As a note, already frozen pokemon won't instantly defrost.

It'd be nice to test to verify, but I don't think it would have changed.

Breludicolo:

I've just finished doing 500 tests of a Pokemon with Poison Touch, using Pound. In this situation,
Poison Touch triggered exactly 150 times, or 30%.

I did the above test on a North American version of Pokemon White Version, which may also explain the difference.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
"Sheer Force gives a 1.3x boost to moves that have a chance related secondary effect when they hit, but prevents that effect from occurring."

I have tested Sheer Force with Bulldoze and Rock Tomb, and they do not lower the target's speed. This is contradictory to "chance related secondary effect" state in the OP, as both moves have a 100% chance of lowering speed. Are there other moves with 100% chances that I should test? I assume Icy Wind is in the same category as Rock Tomb.

video of test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYzFqyIDjw

sheer force boosts and blocks the effect of any move a with a % chance of a effect regardless of how low or high it is.

both Positive chances like flame charge and charge beam self stat boosting and negative ones like bulldoze icy wind and rock tombs.

In addition to the things you mentioned, the opponent's base experience, the language version of the attacking Pokemon, and whether the player's Exp. Point Power is active (which is a power received by completing Entralink missions) can all influence how many Exp. Points a Pokemon can gain.
Interesting. I've been trading my American-bred Pokes to a Japanese game to level them to 50 for competitive use and I get stupid amounts of experience for it. Are you saying that not only am I getting a bonus for the OT being different (and Lucky Egg), but that there's also a bonus for playing on a Japanese game with American Pokemon?

I've quick-leveled stuff for dex filling and I've noticed my best gains have been with pokémon of foreign (In this case, Japanese) origin on my US cartridge, compared to self-caught stuff and pokétransfer/US-traded stuff.

So... yeah, pretty much.

Breludicolo:

I've just finished doing 500 tests of a Pokemon with Poison Touch, using Pound. In this situation,
Poison Touch triggered exactly 150 times, or 30%.

I did the above test on a North American version of Pokemon White Version, which may also explain the difference.
I tested Poison Touch again on my Japanese version to check whether there is an error in my tests. However, in 200 turns Poison Touch activated 42 times which combined with my former results make 106 in 500 turns or a 21.2% activation rate.

I suppose this means that the activation rate has changed from 20% to 30% between versions. Perhaps the ability was originally meant to have a 30% activation rate like other similar abilities, the 20% rate being an error in the Japanese version of the game that was fixed in the American version.

I tested this a few months ago for the status article. No pokemon can become frozen under sunlight however, sunlight will not instantly defreeze pokemon that were already frozen.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
sheer force boosts and blocks the effect of any move a with a % chance of a effect regardless of how low or high it is.

both Positive chances like flame charge and charge beam self stat boosting and negative ones like bulldoze icy wind and rock tombs.
I wouldn't say a move that has a 100% to do something is 'chance related', so the information about Sheer Force in the OP is a little off. Also, Superpower still lowers your Attack and Defense with Sheer Force, meaning it isn't affected, but Flame Charge is. I propose this be added to its description, maybe worded a little better...

It also boosts, but prevents the effects of moves that can alter the stats of your opponent or yourself 100% of the time, excluding moves that reduce your own stats.

Also, does anyone know if high CH moves like Stone Edge are affected?

Chance-related means that in the game's coding the effect is coded as a number. Flame Charge is one of these; it has a 100% chance to raise your Speed one stage. Compare with Agility, which raises your Speed 2 levels; there is no "chance of effect." Chance of Effect just happens with moves that also damage (as far as I know).

I'm assuming that moves that lower your own stats are exempt from Sheer Force's effect.

high CH moves aren't affected; they don't have a chance (it's just an effect), and it would still give the moves a chance to Critical Hit.

In my attack descriptions, I use different wording to describe attacks with additional effects and attacks that don't.

My description for Flame Charge reads, "May increase user's Speed by 1 stage."

The word "may" in the attack description signals an additional effect; thus Flame Charge is affected by Sheer Force. Icy Wind, described as "May decrease opponent's Speed by 1 stage", also has an additional effect because of the word "may".

By contrast, my description for Superpower reads, "Decreases user's Attack and Defense by 1 stage if this attack is successful."

Note that the word "may" is absent in that description; thus the effect of Superpower is not considered an additional effect by Sheer Force. Even attacks with a "good chance for a critical hit" has no additional effect unless the description includes the word "may"; for example, Blaze Kick ("Good chance for a critical hit. May burn opponent." where burning the opponent is the additional effect).

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I'm not sure if this is new but EV Reduction berries have returned to how they work in Emerald. They always reduce EVs by 10. They no longer drop to 100 if the EV is 110 or higher.

If a multi-hit move is used against Pokemon with Multiscale (Dragonite or Lugia), will Multiscale's effect work only before the first hit, or will all hits be halved?

AuraSphere:

Just finished testing it. Multiscale only affects the first hit of a multi-hit attack. Thus, my description for Multiscale now reads:

"If bearer's HP is full, the effectiveness of attacks by non-bearers against bearer is halved. (Treats each hit of a multi-hit attack as a separate attack.)"

I have to say this:

You DON'T need to get the feathers to EV Lv.100 Pokemon.
The game checks its EVs after a battle instead of after each level growth, therefore allowing you to EV Train a TRU Arceus normally.

It doesn't say thin on the front page, just to point out.

AuraSphere:

Just finished testing it. Multiscale only affects the first hit of a multi-hit attack. Thus, my description for Multiscale now reads:

"If bearer's HP is full, the effectiveness of attacks by non-bearers against bearer is halved. (Treats each hit of a multi-hit attack as a separate attack.)"
Okay, thank you for testing that out for me.

gamefaqs said:
I'm deep in the Battle Subway, so I'm taking every precaution I can.

My Jolteon used Yawn, then the opponent's Musharna used Rest, same turn.

His Chesto Berry then woke him up.

Is the effect of Yawn still in place? Will it fall back asleep after the next turn?

Yawn is still in effect after a chestorest, and the one suffering the yawn status will fall asleep even after it's used rest during it. It doesn't matter if it happens the turn it's hit with yawn or the turn after.

Just tested with yawn from my own accelgor on my own rest-using munna.

pkmn1000:

Falling asleep during the effect of Yawn doesn't end the effect of Yawn. I've just tested this.

My description for Yawn reads, in part:

"At the end of the next round, if opponent is not affected by a status problem and remains active since this attack was used, opponent sleeps."

Since Musharna wasn't asleep at the end of the next round after Yawn was used, it will fall asleep, even if it was asleep for a brief moment during Yawn's effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)