Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

I personally found CM / Surf or Scald / Rest / Sub to be the best, but many have been using Ice Beam instead of Sub. Sub stalls out so much more with much more assurance though. Like P2+Sally+Suicune still has a rock weakness but no resist, but Suicune can PP-stall Stone-Edge and Rockslides with much more ease with sub.
Hm. seems logical, but who should I put toxic on? (it's not anywhere in my team) Maybe I could do the tri-attack/Hpwater and replace TR with it.

My last attempt at Super Doubles with a randomly selected team from my box turned out better than I had expected, losing to hax at battle 67. It consisted of Serperior (lol), Terrakion, CB Dragonite, and LO Starmie. I had a lot of fun using Terrakion in the Subway, and I had always wanted to try the triples battle infamous Beat Up + Terrakion strategy, so I decided I'd take another shot at Super Doubles and built a team around him.

Whimsicott (M) @ Focus Sash Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Beat Up
- Helping Hand
- Cotton Spore
- Giga Drain

This is my Beat Up'er. If it's still alive after the first turn it can Helping Hand to boost Terrakion even further or Cotton Spore something that may threaten one or both of my backups. Giga Drain is just so I can have a STAB Attack and at least threaten bulky Water/Grounds that Terrakion doesn't like so much.

Terrakion @ Wide Lens
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

The focal point of the team. It sucks using Wide Lens just to make Rock Slide reliable, but it's more often than not going to be my attack of choice, so I need it to be dependable. There aren't many things that like taking this super boosted STAB Rock Slide, and the things that can fall easily to EQ.

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Outrage

I used CB Dragonite as a physical backup sweeper the first time, and I've found him incredibly reliable with his natural bulk and Multiscale. I decided I'd go with a Life Orbed DD version this time just for more versatility since he is almost never killed in one turn. I'm pretty sure 216 outspeeds most of anything I would need to, bar maybe Weavile, but he loses badly to Volcarona anyway...

Volcarona (M) @ Fire Gem
Trait: Flame Body
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Before I had used Starmie as my back up Special sweeper, generally to Ice Beam the dragons to death. I wanted to go with the same idea, but something stronger and maybe bulkier. Volcarona doesn't have good defensive typing, but is generally better at taking neutral hits than Starmie. It has amazing STABS, one of the best boosting moves in the game, and eliminates steels much better than Starmie could.

On paper this looks good to me. Looking for advice/tips/changes before I actually start in to the streak.

I love seeing people use Dragonite now.

I don't know what I'm talking about, especially in Doubles, but wouldn't STAB Aerial Ace be a better option than Fire Punch? Its only advantage would be in hurting ice and steel, but (assuming Whimsicott dies quickly) every other pokemon on your team is in a better position to do so. Aerial Ace would generally kill bugs and plants more efficiently, especially Volc but excepting steel subtypes, and is more powerful and reliable. Unless you're terrified of F'thorn, Scizor and company and think Volc isn't enough, I'd say it's a reasonable switch.

My only other objection is about your Volcarona: Is the extra power in Heat Wave worth giving up the accuracy and 50% chance of stat increase in Fiery Dance?

(I'm going to stop now before I say something stupid)

I don't know what I'm talking about, especially in Doubles, but wouldn't STAB Aerial Ace be a better option than Fire Punch? Its only advantage would be in hurting ice and steel, but (assuming Whimsicott dies quickly) every other pokemon on your team is in a better position to do so. Aerial Ace would generally kill bugs and plants more efficiently, especially Volc but excepting steel subtypes, and is more powerful and reliable. Unless you're terrified of F'thorn, Scizor and company and think Volc isn't enough, I'd say it's a reasonable switch.

My only other objection is about your Volcarona: Is the extra power in Heat Wave worth giving up the accuracy and 50% chance of stat increase in Fiery Dance?

Thanks for the feedback!

I likely will change Fire Punch on Dragonite as Terrakion manhandles most of the steels I was really concerned with, and Volcarona obviously does as well.

I have Heat Wave on Volcarona more for the purpose of hitting multiple enemies with a strong STAB attack, though during testing it has missed at some uncomfortable times so I will definitely test Fiery Dance.

I'm actually considering changing Volcarona for something faster. It's decently fast with a beneficial nature, but not fast enough to stop Garchomp, who at this point is one of my teams biggest threats. Thinking about trying this:

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb

I'd take the LO off Dragonite and give him Leftovers which would occasionally heal his multiscale as well, and Gengar needs the LO power more being natured for Speed.

Sorry, I didn't realize that Heat Wave hit multiple enemies. I'm not sure how well Leftovers could eat up your losses with such an offensive EV spread, but with low Hp a Shell bell might be an option. It depends on how often you plan on using DD, though. As for your Gengar, you have to be aware that a Psychic-weak trend is beginning to appear on your team.

Just an afterthought, but w/ Arial Ace and now without Volc, you'll have harder time taking down Skarm.

I guess I'll bump this thread back to first page with an ok but not so amazing record. Exactly 100 streak in Double Battle Subway with this team:

Ambipom / Technician / Jolly @ Focus Sash
IVs: physical flawless
EVs: 4 Sp Def 252 Attack 252 Speed
- Fake Out / Return / Ankle Sweep / U-Turn

Latios / Levitate / Timid @ Life Orb
IVs: 31 / ? / 31 / 30 / 30 / 31
EVs: 4 HP 4 Def 244 SpA 252 Speed
- Dragon Pulse / Thunderbolt / Surf / Psychic

Jellicent / Water Absorb / Timid @ Water Gem
IVs: special flawless
EVs: 4 HP 252 SpA 252 Speed
- Water Spout / Shadow Ball / Ice Beam / Energy Ball

Heatran / Flash Fire / Timid @ Leftovers
IVs: something like... 27 / ? / 15 / 31 / 26 / 27 (not RNG'd)
EVs: 252 SpA plenty of speed the rest in HP
- Flamethrower / Earthpower / Toxic / Protect

Strategy:
- Basically Fake Out something and hit something hard on first turn to gain the upper hand
- I wanted to use Ambipom here instead of other fake out users, because Ambipom is the strongest fake out user that outspeeds Latios (Purugly and Persian are the other two), so even after a fake out, Ambipom can U-Turn for some damage on the same turn that Latios uses surf (and obviously Jellicent switches in for Ambipom if I'm using surf), so that is handy.
- Jellicent isn't that amazing, but it does have really good resistances for my team. Jellicent switches in on fighting (or STAB normal) moves on Ambipom plenty of times, or ice/bug moves for Latios, or water moves for Heatran.
- Heatran is another thing that has great resistance combo with Jellicent and Latios, resisting bug, ghost, ice, dark, grass, dragon (though dragons are just handled with Latios most of the time since Heatran lacks HP Ice or Dragon Pulse)
- Toxic on Heatran is mainly for Stallish pokemon, which I can generally ignore after getting a toxic in. It's especially important, because Ambipom, my only physical attacker, does not attack super hard and sometimes it does faint before the end of the battle.

How I lost:
At battle 101, hm... let's see how much I remember. I think it went something like this:

Leads were Electivire and Manectric. The other two were Durant and something else I think, but it basically came down to one misplay where Heatran should have switched out for Jellicent to take Electivire's Earthquake while Ambipom's Return KOs Electivire the turn after, but instead Heatran fainted and so Durant was able to KO Ambipom with Power Herb dig. Jellicent survived a Tpunch (with like 6HP left) and Shadow Balled Electivire to death as Durant used dig, so obviously Jellicent faints the turn after. Well, Dig could have missed from Hustle I guess, but it didn't happen. I know that my Heatran with Protect walls Durant (after the Power Herb was used up), so should have switched him out.

... I probably remembered some of that wrong, since it doesn't seem quite right (Durant could have targeted Ambipom with dig and I would still be left in a similar situation). Anyway I just remember it was something like that where if I switched to Jellicent I would have had a much higher chance of winning.

skitz0phrenic:
Comments:
- Yeah definitely take LO off Dragonite. Having LO on Dragonite loses the whole point of using Multiscale.
- Outrage is a move that does not let you choose your target in Double, so it might not be such a good move to use since it only targets the right opponent half the time.
- Not sure if Dragonite will really have time to Dragon Dance. Even with Multiscale, if it's double targeted, it still might just faint (like a fast random attack breaking Multiscale followed by an ice attack). Not saying it never works, but you want to minimize your risk, so I'd advise not having DD. Not having DD and outrage and LO does reduce Dragonite's power by a lot though. Maybe you can consider mix nite with Draco Meteor...
- Last year I used this moveset at VGC to some success: Dnite @ LO - Superpower / Draco Meteor / Extremespeed / Protect. Obviously that was with inner focus since 5th gen wasn't even out yet (Superpower is 4th gen only move). DM hits things really hard, and even after SpA drops, there's still ES and Superpower to work with (or even after attack drop from superpower, DM's still just as powerful). I actually specifically wanted Inner Focus to prevent fake out flinch too. Heh, whatever works for you. Only Extremespeed is a must on any Double Battle Dragonite imo, anything else goes. If you do want to outspeed Weavile after one DD you need 236 Speed EVs.
- Well, here's a thought... if you think steel types are handled fine, then Dragonite can just have DD / DM / Dragon Claw / Extremespeed and keep Multiscale while holding draco plate or white herb.
- Gengar seems like an ok replacement, but just keep in mind that Gengar can only switch in on predicted EQs and Fighting moves aimed at Terrakion... which I didn't think you plan on switching out anyway. So maybe that'll be ok.

Anyway good luck.

hmmm i do not really agree with AA being better than fire punsh on dnite. Most bug / grass pokes will die from Firepunsh more or less as hard as from AA. (only 15 point difference) and volcarona will take as much damage from an outrage as it would from a SE AA. In general fire punsh has a much better coverage than AA combined with outrage. Hope it makes sense what i write because i am writing from my mobile =)

Definately not "more" hard unless there's a convenient subtype. I did mention F'thorn, Scizor, Escavalier (w/ convenient subtypes), but with those covered, AA hits what it needs to harder than Firepunch and is generally more reliable and powerful neutral hitter. But I do agree that without Volc, Firepunch can better make up for lacking a good means to kill steels

Yes Fire Punch might hit harder in a good amount of scenarios, but Aerial Ace takes out Fighting Types (except Lucario and Cobalion) which have proven to be a huge threat this generation, and Aerial Ace cannot miss. In a place where Minimize, Double Team, and Bright Powder can be utilized, Aerial Ace gains a good amount of viability

Alright, I'm gonna try again. It's too much effort to get an Uxie, but I've already begun breeding my T-tar so I've based a team around him. I need to fill in the gaps, and obviously if there's any substitutions I'll hear them before I begin breeding for moves.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb

EVs: Hp, Sp Attack, Defense
Magic Guard

Psychic
Focus Blast
Reflect
Light Screen

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Adamant
EVs: Hp, Sp Defense, Defense
Sand Stream

Substitute
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Crunch

Skarmory @ Wide Lens
Adamant
EVs: Attack,
Sturdy

Brave Bird
Rock Slide

So the blanks are what I've yet to set in stone. The EVs are in order of greatest to least, but are also not fixed.

Why do you have no Stone Edge/Rock Slide on Tyranitar? And why in a million years do you have no Attack investment past the nature and how do you think you can pull off Dragon Dance with no Speed investment whatsoever?

Also, what's the significance of Rock Slide on Skarmory?

@Orange Peel: Whoa, sorry for the big reaction, but what are you trying to do here?

A bulky set up Tyranitar NEEDS trick or at least a stat reducer in order to work. It has a handful of good resistances, yes, but it also has a ton of weaknesses, which means most things are likely going to be able to break Ttar's sub with a super effective move. You do have screens from Reuniclus, but ... it's holding a life orb (instead of sash) means that it is likely to not be able to set up screen(s) sometimes, because even though it has some bulk, it still faints from hard hitting STAB attacks, or perhaps a crit.

I'm not sure what Skarmory is doing with rock slide. I almost thought this was a doubles team because of it, but, yeah, the only attacking Skarmory I can see that's viable in Battle Subway/Tower/etc. is Flying Move / Sub / Toxic / Roost (i.e. the one Peterko used). Flying Move can be Brave Bird (if you don't mind recoil), Drill Peck (less power but decent damage), or Fly (more damage than Drill Peck, slightly less accurate, but 2 turns... whose positive is more toxic damage and leftovers recovery if you are using leftovers and negative is ... well, opponent can theoretically set up or use recover on the flying turn).

If you don't want to use a stat-reducer / Trick lead, then Ttar should be Jolly with max attack and speed... or you can try a trick room lead if you want (in which case your Ttar should be Brave holding LO or Iron Ball), but that might be unreliable (you will need a bulky TRer like an Eviolite P2 / Dusclops or something with a sash for it to work more reliably).

Hope this helps.

I'd suggest leading with TTar to get that sandstorm up from the start. And then switch to Skarm if the opponent is using a physical attacker (lacking fire/electric obviously).

As for Skarmory, I've been trying out a Stealth Rock / Spikes / Roost / Whirlwind set lately and it works very well, but you do come across Taunters much more often. The 2 times I tried to lead with it, my opponent led with a Taunter. But I'm using it now alongside Electivire & Heatran and am somewhere in the 30s now. I wish I had Drill Peck (tho I'm not sure what I'd want to drop) but this set has singlehandedly swept a handful of teams just by whirlwinding them into constant entry hazard damage.

Are 31 IVs especially necessary beyond 100 wins, it takes a ton of time to find a good one...?
Speed is the most important, followed by probably Attack and SpA. HP and Defenses aren't as relevant on sweepers obviously, unless you're really crunching numbers to survive some specific threat.

Meeting certain speed tiers is very important though as going first can be the difference between winning and losing.

I hit 57 wins running Focus sash Lucario, scarf garchomp, and a lefties DDance Gyarados with taunt. Having only physical attackers with no status effects or recovery and a lot of pretty fragile pokemon is weird, but it works a lot of the time.

I really have trouble against pokemon that I can neither 1HKO or set up on (SD lucario, dd gyarados). Mainly, Spiritombs with willowisp and Staraptors really mess with me. Spiritomb can take any hit, burn, and then swagger/pain split basically any pokemon. Staraptor can 1HKO any of my pokes without Gyarados intimidating it, so basically if they send out Staraptor after Gyarados KOs something, I immediately lose.

I could probably break 70 using this team as I have two streaks over 49 that both ended due to bad plays rather than team flaws, but I guess I should probably work out something better rather than grind my face against the wall until I get lucky.

Substitute stops Spiritomb dead as it'd just continuously try to pain split or wow you. Having a special attacker might be a good thing too, perhaps something speedy with thunderbolt. Jolteon/Zapdos/Lati@s maybe? Or just have something that can take fairly heavy hits. ... Like Eviolite Trace P2 stops Staraptor fairly well, tracing intimidate while taking not that much damage, recovering off damage (since it has to take 2 hits) and then KOing with Tbolt.

first things first get this back onto the first page where it belongs :) haaa!

just had another doubles streak end at 84 :( and its working great apart from one member so need help on it. not going to go into loads detail because this is far from finished article.

leads:

Abomasnow@focus sash - blizzard-toxic-energy ball-protect
Heatran@air balloon - flamethrower - heat wave - protect - earth power

back up:
mamoswine@life orb - earthquake-icicle w/e-ice shard-protect
jellicent@leftovers - surf -blizzard - protect - HP electric

this team is so simple, it was inspired by chinese doods comments about his zapdos+krook team about dos having free hits due to krooks weaknesses.

the whole idea is to bait attacks due to snows weaknesses which heatran takes out, then you guess'd it whatever bothers heat snow kills :)

mamoswine is there to abuse hail and just one my favorite pokes, and he does a great job at clearing up, switches into electric attacks now and then to, just wish thick fat was legal would help :(

then theres jelli...covers all the weaknesses perfectly, can switch in so often. yet its just not up to the job and i'm really stuck on who to bring in, in its place. it just purely doesnt hit hard enough :(.

like i said for 4th spot i'm out ideas. i need a electric attack due to gyarados/moltres/charizard/wallrein bring massive problems. and also want to abuse blizzard. so was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

i lost due to wallrein just stalling the hell out me, managed to get him to struggle with jelli stalling but i only had protect left so as i protected he wasnt loosing health but actually gaining it due to ice body and i ended up loosing the struggle battle :(

any help thoughts would be brillient cheers :)

Say hello to Rotom-f. Abuses STAB Blizzard in hail, also carries the requisite Thunderbolt. I would replace jelly with this.
Edit: Oh, and give it the leftovers you gave jelly.

Glad you found some of my things useful!

Offensively Rotom-F does work out well with Blizzard and TBolt, as well as having Levitate for Mamoswine to freely EQ.

... On the other hand, having the entire team weak to Fighting (and 2 Rock-weak with no resist) might not be too good defensively. I think you do want the defensive switches sometimes.

Latios and Zapdos are both good Tbolting attackers that work well with Mamoswine, but unfortunately neither will be abusing Blizzard. Dragonite learns both Tbolt and Blizzard, but its speed is not too great, and plus you're better off using its physical attacks (and also Dnite adds to the rock weakness). Starmie can work, as it has similar resistance to Jellicent and learns TBolt and Blizzard, just no levitate for Mamo's EQs but you might be able to work around that.

Alternatively, there is also rockslide which also hits all your mentioned threats for super effective. Plenty of things learn that.

... I think Starmie or something fast is better for your team, because as it currently stands, nothing in your team is particularly fast. Even for my Zap+Krook team, sometimes I just wished my pokemon were faster. (Oh actually I don't think I mentioned... for my team I changed my Rotom-H from White Herb to Choice Scarf and had Trick replacing Protect... because I wanted the extra speed for outspeeding things like Aerodactyl.)

So Starmie or Latios seem to be good choices.There's also Aerodactyl or Archeops Rockslides which work well with Mamo's EQ, but they can't really switch in with their weak defenses (and bad ability for Archeops).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: If you DO end up using Starmie and Blizzard, I think I would recommend Mamo to replace Icicle Crash (or w/e it's called) with Rockslide for better coverage. Having 4 ice moves in a team of 4 is a probably bit unnecessary.

Say hello to Rotom-f. Abuses STAB Blizzard in hail, also carries the requisite Thunderbolt. I would replace jelly with this.
Edit: Oh, and give it the leftovers you gave jelly.
It would make his entire team weak to fighting though, which could come back to hurt significantly.

I'm not saying Rotom-F isn't great for a Hail team such as this, because he would be an amazing offensive addition, but some other changes would have to be made I think on top of just replacing Jelli with Rotom-F.

Several weeks ago I was trying to get my White card and got a 103 streak in Super Doubles, losing on battle 104. It's not especially long compared to the other streaks so far, but it was my first try with that team, so maybe I can manage something better with a little help. Team was:

Politoed @ Water Gem
MODEST
+Drizzle+
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Surf
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Ludicolo @ Absorb Bulb
MODEST
+Swift Swim+
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Fake Out
-Hydro Pump
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam

Scizor @ Flying Gem
ADAMANT
+Technician+
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Acrobatics
-Protect

Raikou @ Life Orb
RASH
+Pressure+
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunder
-Aura Sphere
-HP Ice
-Weather Ball

General rainstuffs. Scizor is the answer to bulky Grass-types and Sturdy/Sashers, Raikou is my all purpose SE-hitter. Politoed would almost always (Probably always) Surf while Ludicolo Fake Out'd on the first turn. Not much else to say here; rain is kind of looked down upon but I just wanted to win and not be as aggravated by the Subway as I was by the Tower.

I can't even remember. I think Hydro Pump missed twice on whatever it was (Which isn't really hax; it has a 4% chance of happening and was bound to eventually.) Kingdra gave this team problems, it might have been because of it.

hi thanks for the quick replies :)

my first post was rather rushed in truth due to being late for work lol....

and i was going to post about why i didint memtion anyone i looked at etc so will go into it now:

here is the list off pokemon i concidered using:

nidoking - due to ability and able to use B+TB and resistance to fighting was concidered but due to low speed and and commen weaknesses i moved on.

tentacruel - decent speed, and able to use blizzard and water attacks to beat few threats but lack of anyway to beat bulky waters. so basicly missed TB, is giga drain worth concidering? something like surf/blizzard/GD/protect?

slowbro/king - had quick look but didnt like the low speed and shared bug weakness

starmie - somehow this poke didnt even enter my mind, great speed and sp/a so worth looking into and brings a great way to take care of fighting types.

dragonite - was first poke to come to mind, being able to use TB+B+heat wave which gives decent coverage but low speed of putting specially when being pounded with always hitting blizzards.

mesprit - similar to starmie main reason for use would be to nail fighters but speed isn't the best, but think starmie better option.

rotom - bring great stab to the team but slow and brings higher water and rock weakness.

zapdos - slight chance of use due to got one from old streak which enjoyed using but doesnt bring blizzard to table and weak to rock/ice

latis - main reason i'm staying away from dragons is the perfect accurecy of blizzard, but did want one to begin with due to brings perfect defensive coverage with heatran.

kingdra - the only dragon which could fit into my team and still have work with it. can use blizzard and take care problems with stab water and possibly draco meteor.

so from my thinking the options are -

tentacruel - if giga drain worth concidering.
starmie - great speed and coverage, and resists the right moves.
Kingdra - brings the dragon (my fav dragon i might add) into the team. but lower speed and slightly less power than starmie, but added bulk, only gyarados would be problematic.

Havent had chance to look into rock slide idea yet (cant believe i over looked it) but is there any mixed sweepers who learn both blizzard and rock slide? just a thought lol

so there few my rough thoughts, any pointers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)