Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

Awesome except for the no SE moves part. That'll make 2 pokes that can't :/. Maybe another "idiot" restriction? Other than that, I'll take it :D

ok, much better now. I'll make an update later.

I shall start my Scramble later. Thanks for the Scramble-mons!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: the Wave Incense is located with only rock Climb. Woud you make another "idiot" restriction?

Shiny Skarmory, Take the Shadow Ledian from the Under.

If you can, name it Marvin. It wants to support the team as best as it can and must only know non-attacking moves ASAP. But there is a way to regain one moveslot for offense: "Solo" a boss-fight or a Stadium with him to unlock his offensive powers. By soloing, I mean sending him out for the full duration of (each) battle.

Because he is known as the 5-star pokemon, you must send him out on every 5th platform on Mt. Battle (5, 15, 25, 50 etc). Make sure he solo's one of these battles once with each team member before using him in Realgam Tower.

Have Fun!

@Endquote: Epic battle with Fantina, dude!
@Jimera: Awesome as always.

I also have a new chapter up! Link in my sig.

No Plusle
Dammit.

Well, my plan was to give you Forretress, but after looking at it's Gen 3 movepool, thats kind of absurd

Instead I'll give you a Granbull named NormalRAGE.

This Granbull has very high self-esteem. However, he's a bit of a hipster, in that he hates that so many other Normal-types supposedly outclass him. Therefore, he may never be used in battle with another Normal-type as his partner. If he is ever in battle, and an opponent sends out a Normal-type, your other Pokemon may not attack it, and Granbull must kill it (Note: you don't have to switch Granbull in for every Normal-type. That would be silly). If a boss trainer owns a Normal-type, the same applies, but Granbull does have to switch in to kill it. This includes:

-Miror B.'s Loudred/Exploud
-Venus' Wigglytuff/Blissey
-Evice's Slaking
-Agnol's Girafarig
-and any Normal-type owned by an Area Leader on Mt. Battle (at a quick glance, only the leaders of Areas 1, 5, and 6 have Normal-types)

Also just because I really wanted to give you Plusle, have it solo Ein's Lanturn in the first battle, and his Manectric (if you catch Raikou) in all subsequent encounters.

Edit:

If you can, name it Marvin. It wants to support the team as best as it can and must only know non-attacking moves ASAP. But there is a way to regain one moveslot for offense: "Solo" a boss-fight or a Stadium with him to unlock his offensive powers. By soloing, I mean sending him out for the full duration of (each) battle.

Because he is known as the 5-star pokemon, you must send him out on every 5th platform on Mt. Battle (5, 15, 25, 50 etc). Make sure he solo's one of these battles once with each team member before using him in Realgam Tower.

Have Fun!
That's pretty harsh, lol. Ledian so bad. At least it's not my challange :S

I hate you sage chow.

Have Fun!

@Endquote: Epic battle with Fantina, dude!
@Jimera: Awesome as always.

I also have a new chapter up! Link in my sig.

^^ If it's too hard I could change the pokemon, maybe flygon?

I chose Ledian because it has screens and is immune to Earthquake. There aren't much cool pokemon available early game.. It's all Delibird, Skiploom, Yanma etc.. I thought Ledian wouldn't be that bad. Skarmory is too late in the game, and Meganium takes some damage from EQ..

@shinyskarmory, take Hitmon3 the Hitmontop. It does things in 3's. To be purified, it must KO 3 Pokemon with Shadow Rush and you must call it out of Hyper State at least 3 times. After it is Purified, it must never forget Triple Kick. The other 3 moves cannot be switched until the 3 challanges have been completed for each move:
1. Agility: Use Agility 3 times per battle in 3 different battles
2. Rapid Spin: Must battle against Cypher Admins Dakim, Venus, and Ein and KO at least 1 Pokemon per battle using only Shadow Rush or Rapid Spin.
3. Focus Energy: Must use Focus Energy 33 times and land at least 3 subsequent Critical Hits.
After those 3 requirements are complete, Hitmon3 may replace those 3 moves at any time as desired. It must KO at least 3 Pokemon belonging to Cipher Nascour and Cipher Head Evice. Against the Mt. Battle, it must participate in all battles ending in 3 (3, 13, 23, 33, etc.)
Good luck!

Ok, I just needed to know the specifics. Thanks to all who gave me a Scramble-mon. I'll start this weekend. Sorry to those that I have pestered :( I just like to have specifics and never leave any rock uncovered.

I just want to say to everyone quickly here that I love reading all your updates :) I'm really pleased that it's become so much more standard than it was before, since hearing about the crazy stuff that goes on in Scrambles, especially with Pokemon you gave someone, is half the fun of this thread. It's also rather gratifying to know I had a part in inspiring some of you to write more comprehensive updates :P

I have a plan to do something a little extra for this thread aside from my usual updates and scramble Pokemon tonight, but I got some chores to take care of before I do it. I'm not sure how welcome it'll be, since despite my activity on here I am still fairly new, but I figure I know enough now to be able to do it. What am I talking about though you ask? Well you'll just have to wait and see now won't you? :P

I agree. Hey, Lafonda is relatively new here as far as I know, and he played a competitive scramble, which I also did, the first 1 ever for RU. I'd be glad to help with whatever your idea is, and will be sure to add my input.

On another note, HOPEFULLY since I don't have too much to do tonight I can FINALLY finish Chapter 4. Sorry for the delay!!

Alright then, here it is:

Jimera0's Guide to Giving out Good Scramblemons

Handing out scramblemons seems very easy at first, but as many a scrambler who has had their Pokemon rejected knows, it isn't as simple as it looks. Here's a short guide on how to make sure your submission is not rejected, and also some tips on how to go one step further and make truly memorable scramblemons.

Basic Process:

Step 1: Read the OP and all the rules on it: Seriously, not doing so is the fastest way to get your Pokemon rejected. If you're still new to making scramblemons, keep a tab open to it so you can reference it throughout the process.
Step 2: Read the recipient's own personal rules: These rules are arguably just as important as the OP's rules for suggesting scramblemon. Make sure you carefully read their rules and follow them all when writing up the scramblemon. When you're done writing it up, it's a good idea to double check the rules and make sure you didn't miss anything. If you don't, you're quite likely to end up having your scramblemon rejected because you missed something.
Step 3: Look at the scramblemons that have already been submitted: It's important to know what other people have already submitted to this challange when coming up with your own. It's generally a good idea with all but the hardest challanges to try and avoid duplicate typing (especially if the recipient specifies that in their rules!). You can also get ideas of how your scramblemon can compliment (or hinder) the other scramblemons that have been submitted, which is always a nice bonus.
Step 4: DO YOUR DAMN RESEARCH: After, or even before, picking which Pokemon you're going to have as the scramblemon your offer, you should look up the Pokemon you’re considering. The most important thing you're doing here is making sure your scramblemon is actually available at a reasonable point in the game the recipient is playing, and making sure that your restrictions can all actually work within that game. Remember, move pools and available items change significantly over the generations, so be careful when making restrictions based on these things.
Step 5: Write up your scramblemon: This is just where you write down all the restrictions for the Pokemon you've chosen, all the while checking to make sure it actually works. There is no set format for how to write it up, but generally you want to include a bit of backstory as to why your scramblemon is the way it is. If your scramblemon has complex restrictions, you might want to summarize them again at the end of your post to make things clearer and easier to access.
Step 6: PROOFREAD: And I'm not just talking about spelling and grammar errors. Hell, that's the least of your worries. Your biggest concern should be making sure that you haven't made any mistakes in your restrictions, such as conflicts with the restrictions of other scramblemon submitted for the same challange, conflicts with the game your recipient is playing, conflicts between the difficulty requested and the difficulty of your scramblemon, conflicts with the rules the recipient has posted, and yes, even conflicts between your own damn restrictions. It happens. Once you're done all that THEN you can post it.

Important things to remember so your scramblemon isn’t rejected:

Check, check, and double check the rules: Both the rules on the OP and the rules the recipient laid out when they made their request. The majority of rejections happen when you miss a small detail in the rules when you make your scramblemon, and you don't want all the hard work you put into coming up with it go to waste.
Look out for conflicts with other scramblemons: Make sure that your scramblemon doesn't conflict with any other scramblemons that have been submitted for that challange. The most common conflicts are in required/optional solos and in typing, but look out for other conflicts (such as limitedly available TMs) as well.
DO YOUR GODDAMN RESEARCH! Seriously, you'd be surprised how often people suggest scramblemons that are completely impossible for the game being played. Make sure that all the moves, abilities, evolutions, etc. are actually available in the game the scrambler is playing. Additionally, make sure that the Pokemon and its required moves are obtainable at a reasonable point in the game; after the Elite Four only is usually too late :P.
Mind the difficulty: This is probably the most difficult thing to gauge, but most people specify a range of difficulty they want for their challange when they post them, and if you don't want your scramblemon rejected you should do your best to stick to it. Make sure to be careful with evolution requirements in particular; if you're not careful you could end up making your scramble a lot harder than you intended. A good rule of thumb is to look over your scramblemon and think how hard it would be to use if YOU had to use it. If it's beyond what you'd be willing to do and the scrambler didn't ask for a super-hard challange, it's probably too hard.

Helpful tips for better scramblemons:

Avoid common Pokemon: Common Pokemon that end up being used very frequently on normal playthroughs should generally be avoided unless you're doing something extra creative with their restrictions. Otherwise, it just ends up being rather dull, since the idea of a scramble challange is to push the scrambler to try new things they wouldn't normally.
Do your GODDAMN research! Yeah, I’m saying it again, but this time it's not so your scramblemon doesn't get rejected, but to help you come up with creative ideas. Looking at a Pokemon’s abilities, stats, move-pool, and other characteristics can help a lot with coming up with interesting restrictions. And again, it REALLY helps with determining how difficult a scramblemon will be to use. It helps to look up the trainers you're going to have it solo (if any) since sometimes they have different movesets and such than you remember them having, which can greatly affect difficulty if you aren’t careful.
Drudgery and grinding does NOT equal difficulty. Or fun: This is a really common mistake on here. Making your Sandshrew solo 100 Pokemon with nothing but defense curl and poison sting does not make your scramblemon more difficult, it just wastes the scrambler's time. Instead, for the given example, have it solo a major trainer batter or a much smaller number of trainer Pokemon with those moves instead. This goes for any restriction that requires pointless repetition. The “solo <insert unreasonably high number here> Pokemon” ones are just some of the most common offenders, and some of the worst.
Be careful with nature and gender restrictions: The reason you need to be careful with this is much the same as the reason why the above tip applies; it can lead to a lot of unnecessarily wasted time, though usually not intentionally in this case. Basically, the more such restrictions you place on a scramblemon the harder it will be to obtain, and the more time the scrambler will have to waste trying to find it. Putting restrictions like this on a Pokemon with a 1% encounter rate is particularly cruel. Again, doing your research can help to avoid this.
Come up with unique restrictions, or put new spins on common ones: There are a LOT of standard restrictions that get handed out. Among the most common are:
“Use X move every time Y is sent into battle.”
“Y cannot fight X type.”
“Y must solo # Xs to evolve.”
and several others besides.
While these restrictions are not necessarily bad, they are old and worn, and overall quite dull. Coming up with something totally unique (or at least rarely done) can go a long way to making your scramblemon more fun and interesting to use. You can also put your own spin on the more common restrictions, or use the above restrictions to encourage creativity. For instance, while requiring a scramblemon to use Tackle every time it enters battle is just annoying, having it use Sunny Day every time it enters battle encourages the scrambler to take advantage of it and get creative.
Complexity does not equal creativity: A lot of scramblers will come up with very complex scramblemon in an attempt to be creative. However, often these efforts will fail, as they're frequently just a combination of many common restrictions. These have the additional problem of the scrambler using them not always being able to remember all the situational restrictions as they're playing, leading to them accidentally ignoring restrictions at times. This is not to say that complex scramblemons can't be creative; it just means that complexity alone does not make a good scramblemon. Many of the best scramblemon just have one, interesting restriction and leave it at that, while others really get into the backstory, justifying the complexity of their restrictions. Finally, avoid padding your scramblemon with unnecessary restrictions. Think to yourself before adding a restriction, “does this actually improve my scramblemon, or just make it more repetitive?”. Just slapping on restrictions for the sake of restrictions doesn’t do much for a challange.
Leave room for the recipient to get creative: The best scramblemon are the ones that require the recipient to think the most. While this seems easy enough to do at first, it's not always as easy as it sounds. If you're too loose with your restrictions, the scrambler can just use the same tactics they'd always use. If you're too tight, you don't leave them any choices to make for themselves. It's a tough balance to achieve, but you should keep it in mind whenever you're making your scramblemon anyway. This is the sort of thing you'll get better at with practice, so don't be upset if your scramblemon don't always turn out the way you wanted them to at first.
Don't rush, reserve! One of the leading causes of boring scramblemons is the fact that people often rush to ensure that there's still room on the recipients team when they post theirs. However, this means that they skip crucial steps, leading to boring scramblemon or even ones that get flat out rejected. There is a very simple way to avoid this however. Most scrambles will accept reservations on their challanges, so you can simply make a post quickly saying that you're reserving a Pokemon, then edit it later, taking as much time as you need to make it right.
Read other people's submissions: This should be obvious, but the more you read the content of this thread, the better the feel you'll get for what makes a good scramblemon. Reading updates can help too, since it shows how well a scramblemon works while it is actually being played. Don't be afraid to take a few ideas from others to use yourself, as long as you don't completely rip them off. Imitation is the purest form of flattery after all! Just remember to respect the signature challange rule when you're doing it!

Why that's a wonderful guide! I'd also love for you to guage all of our current scramblers so we can improve. And yes, that means you too!

Nice guide, Jimera! I should prooobably start doing that. The one thing I hate is when I have the PERFECT idea for a Scramblemon, but other people don't bother to read the rules and just hastily post a Scramblemon. /cough I was gonna give you a Brokeback Mountain themed challange for your Sapphire Scramble cough/

Why that's a wonderful guide! I'd also love for you to guage all of our current scramblers so we can improve. And yes, that means you too!
Oh god no, I can't do that. No one has the right to do that I think, and besides I don't want to risk hurting anyone's feelings. Also, I AM relatively new here and don't know everyone's scramblemon posting tendencies, so my analysis of their habits wouldn't be reliable anyway.

Nice guide, Jimera! I should prooobably start doing that. The one thing I hate is when I have the PERFECT idea for a Scramblemon, but other people don't bother to read the rules and just hastily post a Scramblemon. /cough I was gonna give you a Brokeback Mountain themed challange for your Sapphire Scramble cough/
That's what reservations are for ;). It's how I make sure that I get my opportunity to make a well thought out and researched scramblemon while still making sure not to lose my spot to someone else. Maybe I should add a "don't rush, reserve!" section to the guide.

And finally, thanks for the encouragement people :) If IAR sees this and decides he wants to do something with it, that's great. Otherwise, I think I'll just link to it in my signature for now.

Episode 7 up! I havn't heard any feedback in a while from you guys, and I would really like some :)

EDIT: My face after reading Jimera's post:

Hopefully people will see that and post less like my Karrablast. Again, still regretting taking that and well.. read my newest episode to found out what I nicknamed it ;)

@Jimera0, that is amazing! Awesome guide for the Scramble Challange. I've been doing alot of that stuff for a while, but it will be useful for those who have never issued a scramble before to be able to do so effectively. You outdid yourself. If I could Luvdisc a post, that guide deserves one!

@Waterwarrior, does "...it (Karrablast) can only use Special Attacks..." mean that the only moves it can use are Special Attacks, or the only attacks it can use are special attacks?

@Waterwarrior, does "...it (Karrablast) can only use Special Attacks..." mean that the only moves it can use are Special Attacks, or the only attacks it can use are special attacks?
You expect me to use Leer, Endure, and Scary Face? O.o

The most useful status move it learns is Swagger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)