CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 8 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission:

Allureum (Allure + Rheum)

Flytrap's lure in the prey, hence the allure. There is also a mystical alluring atmosphere surrounding the art.
Rheum[1] is a genus of about 60 perennial plants in the family Polygonaceae. The genus includes the vegetable[2] rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum or Rheum x hybridum.) The species have large somewhat triangular shaped leaves with long, fleshy petioles. The flowers are small, greenish-white to rose-red, and grouped in large compound leafy inflorescences. A number of varieties of rhubarb have been domesticated both as medicinal plants and for human consumption. While the leaves are toxic, the stalks are used in pies and other foods for their tart flavor.

random musings below, not part of final submission:

Outside of parapsychology, clairvoyance is often used to refer to other forms of anomalous cognition, most commonly the perception of events that have occurred in the past, or which will occur in the future (known as retrocognition and precognition respectively),[3][4] or to refer to communications with the dead (see Mediumship).

L'EDIT: Clairvoyel (Klair-Vo-Yell)

Clairvoyant + mademoiselle

L'EDIT: for fun, I also thought of: Ghoulsary (ghoul + rosary) and Slumbra (slumber + umbra) and Sassafraz! (Sassy + frizzy) and Allurune/Alurune (Allure + rune). (Alraune is german for mandrake, and Alura Une is a castlevania monster known as Venus weed.) Grimoirge (grim+grimoir+mirage)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Final Submission:

Thisyl

Etymology: Thistle + Sibyl
Pronunciation: exactly like "thistle" [this-uhl]
Thistle: any of numerous weedy plants, chiefly of the genera Cirsium, Carduus, or Onopordum of the composite family, having prickly leaves and variously colored flower heads surrounded by prickly bracts.
Sibyl: a female prophet.

I think this name is short and easy to pronounce. It incorporates both aspects of her typing, reflects her appearance, and aligns with her primary ability, Forewarn.
I like that the name is a homonym of the word "thistle" in a similar vein to Muk and Ditto. The inclusion of "Sibyl" in the portmanteau is significant because it reveals that Thisyl is female-only.

I figure it'll be my final submission (though Lady Phantebellum was a close second) though id love some feed back.

Poisesse: [poy-zeh-se]
Poise + Possess, poise reflects the maiden physique, as well as the idea of channeling, while possess embodies the ghost typing and maidenmon is known for being too possessive. Also, the conglomorate sounds like princess, another nod towards the feminine design.

One idea I've had is Thistyl or Thisyl. I'm not sure exactly how it would be spelled. The first one may be accidentally pronounced with a hard T while the second maintains the original pronunciation of "thistle."

Etymology:
Thistle: Any of numerous weedy plants, chiefly of the genera Cirsium, Carduus, or Onopordum of the composite family, having prickly leaves and variously colored flower heads surrounded by prickly bracts.
+
Sibyl: A woman prophet.

I think the combination makes perfect sense. :) I also like that is sounds like a real world in the same vein as Muk or Ditto.

Any opinions on the spelling? I think I'm leaning more toward the first.
I like it without the second 't'.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
2 ideas

banshrub

banshee (a spirit in the form of a wailing women) + shrub (woody plant with multiple stems)

---

eidolily

eidolon (a phantom) + lily (scaly bulbed flower)

Final Entry: Maikoshi

Pronunciation: my-KOE-shee

Etymology: I wanted to look for japanese roots in this name, because the pokemon's artwork concept itself is japanese as well as pokemon being derived from japan in the first place. (Maiko) is the japanese word for dancing girl and an apprentice geisha, where (shi) is the japanese word for death. In mind of the name being simple sounding and rolling off the tongue well without being overly complicated, I declined to add a reference to the venus flytrap in the name. I felt that the dead miko as Yilx referred to his artwork IIRC is the overall body of the pokemon, with the flytrap roughly consuming a third of the focus.

Asylum_Rhapsody

A lot of the names, while cool, pretty much entirely ignore the plant part of this Pokemon, which I think is a shame. This is why my current favorite submission is Scrytrap from srk1214. It perfectly reflects both the Pokemon's mystical themes and botanical typing, and it's a very simple but clever portmanteau.

Mortmare

A play on the word 'Nightmare'

The word Mort in the Oxford English Dictionary describes the word as 'obsolete' or 'death' whereas the word 'mare' is described as a female creature of equine nature, though now is more commonly uses as a synonym for 'lady'. It's a simple name, but then pokemon names usually are tending to, trying to capture the pokemon's theme in a sleek simple package.

I took the tradition commonly found in pokemon regarding female only species such as vespiquen and froslass where there is always a reference to the female exclusivity in the name: 'quen' a play on queen in the former and 'lass' meaning woman in the latter.

Any thoughts?

Paragrap

The name came from Graptopetalum paraguayense or known as Ghost Plant, some random plant found in Mexico which I think fits her.

waddayatink? ^^

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission:

Aoncea(A-on-sh-a)

Mostly the word Aonyobo, which is from Japanese folklore of a female ghost who haunts imperial palaces, and the plant Alcea, which is sometimes black or has a deep dark red.

final submission

Floridite

[flo-ree-die-tee]

flora+Aphrodite

or flora+mistress= flomistres works...

if that one is bad, how is florath?

flora+wrath. it sounded to male inclined.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Final Submission:

Herbinoire

Pretty straightforward. "Herb" refers to the plant aspect of the design, while "noire" refers to the ghostly aspect of the design. This name is also a corruption of "herbivore", which suits the concept of a dangerous plant, and it also serves as a good guide to pronunciation.

Shrinettle/Shrynettle and Wraithistle are my two uninspired ideas at the moment The etymology is fairly obvious, I think... I also have Floraori, which is flora + haori, a kimono jacket. Floraith works as well.

FINAL SUBMISSION

Lillighast

I truly believe that this name fits the design more than any other. With the name, I wanted to try and embody the duality of the CAP: its cuteness and its ghoulishness; its daintiness and its viciousness; its flowering vitality and its channelling of the undead. I therefore wanted a name that strongly alluded to the femininity of the design, but, in its overall impact, placed more emphasis on its darker side.

Whilst the design itself does indeed lack any obvious flower motif – although the organic curves of its hair and arms do strongly resemble certain petal structures – I decided to represent the design’s femininity with reference to the lily. The symbolic nature of the lily is obvious; traditionally, it has been used to represent purity, virtuosity, delicacy, decorativeness and elegance, all traits associated strongly with femininity. There is even a biblical reference buried here: ‘Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin’ (Matthew 6:28) is a verse that describes lilies as entirely passive flowers, the idea that they do not ‘toil’ evoking a sense of harmlessness in appearance. However, even with the sense of harmlessness constructed here, there is still a faint sense of unease conjured by the image of the lily: these are flowers that, traditionally, have been used in western funeral arrangements.

The second part of the name expands on the funereal image of the lily by evoking a very sudden, and very strong, sense of horror and unease. By relating to the emotional intensity of being ‘aghast’ I anticipate the emotional reaction of the reader, whilst the relation to the ghoulish ‘ghast’ creatures, which appear in a wide array of literature and videogames, affirms the demonic and monstrous nature of the design. The sense of passive harmlessness conjured by the lilies, as they do not ‘toil’, is destroyed by the violent strength of ‘aghast’. The name ‘Lillighast’, then, is therefore formed from ‘lil–aghast’ or ‘lily–ghast’, with spelling adapted to keep it visually pleasing (the ‘h’ in ‘ghast’, while initially seeming clunky, was kept to maintain the jolting suddenness of the final syllable).

The impact of the name as a whole therefore matches my intention, with it initially evoking a sense of femininity with ‘Lilli’ whilst the metric pattern of stresses (the name as a whole forms an anapaest) places more syllabic emphasis on ‘ghast’, leaving the reader with a ghastly taste in his mouth that overpowers its overall cuteness (part of the intention, I’m sure, of the design).

also the name's resemblance to lilligant is purely coincidental lol what are you talking about

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Scrytrap

First, the obvious Flytrap indications. Also, the other part of the portmanteau: (from wikipedia) "Scrying ... is a magic practice that involves seeing things psychically in a medium, usually for purposes of obtaining spiritual visions ... Scrying has been used in many cultures as a means of divining the past, present, or future. Depending on the culture and practice, the visions that come when one stares into the media are thought to come from God, spirits, the psychic mind, the devil, or the subconscious."

Sounds good for me for a ghostly venus flytrap. It uses a sort of spiritual vision to channel the future (anticipation) or present (telepathy.) Additionally it does this through a physical medium, which can come in many forms. Most often in literature I've seen scrying done in water, but it is also done in crystal balls and can be done in just about anything with a shiny surface like metal (steel,) gemstones (rock,) and I'm sure there's an example somewhere of it being done in fire. Apparently Nostrodamus himself was a scryer.

Scrytrap for the win!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name time

Nereis - portmanteau of Nemesis + Eris, sounds like a plant's name.

Phytelle - sounds like fight, embodies plants, females, and ghosts all in one word

Magnolia - easy as pie

Squishy - just look at it

Aphrodizzy - yeah

Will think of more at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)