The (Past) Dark Horse Project — Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birkal just to tell you that I am restarting using a different account named Skymastergamerptdark.

I will be using:

The Same Alakazam as before only difference is having HP Fighting instead of Energy Ball.

Chandelure (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Pain Split

And finnaly:

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

By the way in case you are wondering the other members of this team will be Jirachi, Haxorus and Scizor

Pokemon Online Username: Snowflake
Hall of Fame Standing: /
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Kyurem
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 236 SAtk / 216 Spd
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast

chandlure tangrowth venusaur

edit:

Pokemon Online Username: fishface15
Hall of Fame Standing: /
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: chandlure
Current Ladder Standing: 1300 exact

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Online Username:XxTropiOUsxX
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Hydreigon(I know,nobody expected this).

(m) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Or this one:
Hydreigon (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-Turn
(Last one is only if for some reason I want to use VoltTurn spam).

Current Ladder Standing:1207.

Pokemon Online Username: Icy Dragon
Hall of Fame Standing: -

Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Venomoth

Gonna try this with a hail team. So will have some other "Dark Horse" pokemon but I won't be focusing on them.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i decided to change my dark horse pokemon after testing, because no matter what i have a hard time using cress,

my new ladder name will be Wilmer008

and my new dark horse is honchkrow :D

PO NAME: TheGoddamnBatmanOU
DARK HORSE POKEMON: Alakazam
HALL OF FAME STANDING: leedle leedle leedle lee
CURRENT LADDER STANDING: 1196

Edit: DAMN YOU MOLK. Whatever, I'll rock Honchkrow harder than you nbd.
Double Edit: Nah not happening. Switching to Alakazam.
Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Rock
-Shadow Ball

Do these teams have to be based around the pokemon? Imo they really should since you can just slop on a victini, have him fg, and then play with the rest of your team. Nearly every poke can function in an insignifigant role.

If this is true, then once you hit certain points in terms or your team, on the ladder, etc. a post describing each member (think, a mini-rmt) should be required, and possibly even a log showing how the team functions around the dark horse.

If these pokes aren't the stars, it won't do very much in encouraging people to use them (ie. hm... he can kill a pokemon with his victini, well I can kill 3 with my Terrakion, I'll just keep using him), whereas if a pokemon, given support, is shown to be an integral, albeit niche, part of making a team successful it will provide far more appeal.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
skymastergamerpt (and everyone else), please keep all information within your first registration post! I can't link to two posts under the registered users post. Although I do skim through the topic regularly to search for changes in Dark Horse Pokemon, sending me a friendly reminder via PM or VM is great too!

Do these teams have to be based around the pokemon? Imo they really should since you can just slop on a victini, have him fg, and then play with the rest of your team. Nearly every poke can function in an insignifigant role.
In my opinion, it's pretty difficult to "slap a Pokemon" onto any team and achieve a Top 100 ranking. Each member is going to have to pull their own weight in order to make that kind of an impact. That's why this project isn't about picking a Pokemon that could be ranked higher, it's about developing a team that functions well.

Even in your example, Final Gambit Victini cannot just be slapped on a team. I've personally done lots of work with this variant, and there is skill required. Knowing the opponent's max HP levels, keeping hazards off the field, and knowing when to strike all play into the factor of team support. If you're looking for a 5 vs. 5 match, Final Gambit Victini is not some sort of "miracle answer" to that. The team has to support Victini naturally in order for it to support the team.

And as a general announcement, remember that you MUST start with your Dark Horse Pokemon at a 1000 ranking points. Switching Dark Horse Pokemon is totally acceptable, but then please adjust your account to suit that rule.

Pokemon Online Username: Miike
Hall of Fame Standing: nah
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Slowbro
Current Ladder Standing: (17:13:18) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 296/48430 [1266 points / 36 battles]!
I'll likely just update this post with my ranking, until I reach top 100.

Edit: Updated.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Updated the registration list! I've been seeing a few inconsistencies on users registering with multiple Dark Horse Pokemon. You must register for EACH Dark Horse Pokemon individually. Please follow the rules; it makes my life easier!

• Each user is allowed a maximum of THREE Dark Horse Pokemon to work with actively in this topic. The recommended number is one, so that the user can focus specifically on that Pokemon and how to best build a team around it. If you must have more than one, then please fill out one Registration Form for each Dark Horse Pokemon.

And for visual learners...

Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Venomoth

Gonna try this with a hail team. So will have some other "Dark Horse" pokemon but I won't be focusing on them.
Will be using two dark horses:

Pokemon Online Username: Broken Jaw
Hall of Fame Standing: nah
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Slowbro, Roserade

I'll likely just update this post with my ranking, until I reach top 100.

I would LOVE to see how your team works Foster. I have had a very successful run using the two of them in conjunction with a stall team before the metagame became so offensive

Ooh, this sounds like a nice project.

Pokemon Online Username: BroSlow
Hall of Fame Standing: nada
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Slowbro
Current Ladder Standing: 1100

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Yawn
- Flamethrower

Okay So I tried to make Gallade work, but he's just not giving me what I need, or maybe I need to learn more about the meta to use him effectively. I didn't even break 1100 with him and after trying multiple variations of him, Banded, Scarfed, Sub/Dance 2 attacks, Baton Passing him boosts - he's still too frail and weak to take me to the Hall of Fame at this point in time. I'm going to try something else and maybe come back to him once I improve myself.

Gallade (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Punch

Updated the registration list! I've been seeing a few inconsistencies on users registering with multiple Dark Horse Pokemon. You must register for EACH Dark Horse Pokemon individually. Please follow the rules; it makes my life easier!

And for visual learners...
Gotcha. I'll just do slowbro now, although I assume its ok if Roserade is on the team anyway? Also, turns out I had played on that alt before, so I'll be switching to Miike.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Online Username: legitly good
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Azumarill

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Birkal, could you add Tangrowth (I'm still doing Shiftry) to my name? I updated my reg post.

Birkal

We have the technology.
Heh, I probably won't get much time to play due to maintaining this project. But I might as well register my current work!

Pokemon Online Username: Franz Liszt
Hall of Fame Standing: Nope.
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Wobbuffet, Scrafty
Current Ladder Standing: 1164

I've been thinking of ways to maximize free turns, and these two Dark Horse Pokemon really emphasize that team idea. Wobbuffet is simply ridiculous and can allow Scrafty (and other teammates) a few turns to set up. Let's check out my current sets:

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 174 Def / 124 SpD / 180 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Safeguard

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

My Wobbuffet set is tinkered to my liking. I hit 147 speed, which sits comfortably above no investment Blissey, while 28 HP EVs allow for a Leftovers number. I don't remember at the moment why I dumped the defensive EVs where I did, but I will get back to you when I can recall it ;)

I run Jolly Scrafty over Adamant in order to beat out base 110 speed Pokemon after a Dragon Dance. I've also chosen Shed Skin and Drain Punch on this sweeper set to add some extra longevity midgame. I'll post some logs and updates when I get the chance!

Birkal

We have the technology.
hey, can you post here with your current ladder ranking?
You betcha! There is a definite competition component to this project. However, make sure you abide in this rule:

• Do not post insignificant updates. Each post should be well thought and unique.
If you simply post a number, that's not ok. Perhaps post what strategies you have been using, teammates you've been considering, and questions to receive advice! If you only want to update your ladder ranking, then do that in your Registration Form.

Aight, had hit 1183 but lost a battle and dropped down to 1163. Volturn is really annoying to fight, even with Breloom it's still annoying as hell. Even though it's not impossible to maneuver around, it really causes problems, because Latios can't take repeated hits and truth be told, neither can Breloom without bulk ups. Politoed dies fast, especially when they're using Dugtrio etc etc. Mamoswine is fantastic; it almost always gets rocks up and provides late game utility against dragons. Endeavor is a great move, weakening annoying pokemon like Ferrothorn (god i hate this thing) and Skarmory, even. Any wall, really, that can bring Mamo down to endeavor range, is easy to pick off. Adamant Earthquake still hurts, even without a life orb or choice band, so its not like Mamo is set up bait either :D

Pokemon Online Username: Tb2dude
Hall of Fame Standing: Nope.
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Durant

Durant (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Fang
- X-Scissor

Yes. This divine creature is the most deadly force in the Pokemon Universe. He kills EVERYTHING. He also outspeeds nearly everything. Good luck survivng when I get set up.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
okay, after a day of laddering OU with my (PINK!!!!!!!!!!!) honchkrow my rank is

current ranking: #870 on the ladder

Current rating: 1181

ive been using a core of skarmory and gastrodon to stop both volturn and rain cold, as for honchkrow, hes and excellent revenge killer, cause of the steel types and tar he wont be getting a full sweep so i decided to run a mixed set. when i WAS using Moxiekrow i used magnexone to take down steels that would wall it, but i had trouble with tyranitar. as for parnters, starmie works well, being able to spin, and clean up after honch has broken walls.

everyone is probz much higher up cause i suck lol

edit: honchkrow is honestly a p. good wallbreaker in OU, dont know why it isnt used more. mixkrow is a good lure cause people expect moxie (which sucks in OU) which can lead to a dead ttar or scizor early in the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)