Other a cereal murder that shoots people with cheerios - task 5 (trial 4, Night 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
rofl I love this, aska stealing Bass's spotlight for once.

REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD
I don't mind, though I don't see how it stole any spotlight.

In any case, I'll give you guys another day to form teams. Currently only one is fully formed.

EDIT: Due to the difficulty some of you have had recruiting four players, I will be cutting this number back down to three. There is still only one full sized team, and therefore one of its players needs to migrate to another one. Please contact me if you are on that team.

Bass

Brother in arms
Sign ups for the fifth task are now closed. I appreciate the interest. Please allow me to introduce the teams that will be competing.

First, we have team
, led by billymils. His comrades are LightWolf, jumpluff, and Da Letter El. Without any finals for them to worry about, my expectations for them are high.

Our next team is zorbees and his superfriends, led by none other than zorbees of course. He has recruited theangryscientist, Fatecrashers, and askaninjask for his cause. Solid choices all around.

Our third team is Most Likely to Idle, led by Pidge. Its members? Draycos7, kingofkongs, and Walrein. These picks are... interesting, to say the least, but they accentuate the dark horse nature of the team even further. More power to you.

Finally, our last team is... team name pending. Under the leadership of Fishin, its members are the honorable lord dak, Paperblade, and EARTHWORM. A very scary team, despite what its name may tell you otherwise.

In summary, if you didn't like reading the introductions, our final teams for the fifth task are:

A Rock
billymills
jumpluff
LightWolf
Da Letter El

zorbees and his superfriends
zorbees
theangryscientist
Fatecrashers
askaninjask

Most Likely To Idle
Pidge
Walrein
Draycos7
kingofkongs

team name pending
Fishin
dak
EARTHWORM
Paperblade

Sorry to those that didn't make the cut in the end. But don't give up hope yet! The final trial in this task may incorporate you somehow, and it goes without saying that you will be the first choice for subs should any of the recruited players above break their oathes and get punished.

Anyway, lets move on to the moment you have all been waiting for... the details of the fifth task!

Now that your teams are complete, I will now reveal the true identity of your fifth task: A marathon. A glorious marathon it will be indeed, as it will be split into a sequence of trials. In essence, the fifth task is really just an entire competition inside a competition that was based on a competition inside a competition. Kudos if you got that.

Think of these trials as sub-tasks. However, less will be at stake than an actual task. I will not punish any team for performing poorly in the first few trials, but instead the team that does the best in each of them will be granted advantages. I'll describe those more a little later.

This task will be split up into four trials total. The first three trials will be warm-ups, designed to help get your recruited teammates acclimated to the competition they are in. Use this preparation wisely, as the fourth trial will be a long and complicated game in of itself. Good teamwork will be essential for winning. Although I don't like teasing you guys any further, I will not reveal the details of the fourth trial until the time comes. It's more interesting that way.

The first three trials on the other hand will be short and simple. About the same level of complexity as the first few tasks in the previous competition (the one hosted in the NPL thread). Again, there will be no punishment for doing poorly in them, but the team that does the best in each of them will be granted points. These points will grant an advantage for the fourth trial. As billymills performed the best in the previous task, he will also get one point for free. In other words, team a rock already has a point, so other teams take note!

That's it for the background information. It is time we begin our first trial. As these first few trials are just warm-ups after all, what better way to do so than a good old fashioned quiz? Yeah, if the first tasks of both of my competitions are any indication, I like quizzes. They are a good opening task, as they aren't too complex but still force you to get into an appropriate mindset. Naturally though, things wouldn't be interesting if I just made the quizzes exactly the same, so it won't be.

Unlike the other two quizzes, how well you do on this one will be based entirely on how high your score is. No need to worry about staying in or out of the middle this time. Just do your best to answer as many correct questions as possible.

But again though, don't misunderstand. I am not interested in testing pure intellect here. Especially not knowledge that is common. Therefore, this quiz will have one additional restriction: If any two teams answered the same question correctly, they will LOSE 1 point for that question. Yes, negative scores are possible in this trial!

Easy enough to understand, right? Good. If you weren't keeping up with my explanation though, here is a more detailed explanation of your first trial:

• First, the quiz will be 15 questions long, and there is only one correct answer for each of them unless otherwise stated in the question.
  • Your score will be equal to the number of questions only your team answers correctly minus the number of questions that your team answers correctly that were also answered correctly by another team. A blank or incorrect answer gives you no points.
  • Now the important part: Any answer that your team answers correctly will be awarded -1 point if another team also answers it correctly. Plan accordingly!
  • You can only make one submission, and it will only count if you send it to me via PM. This PM can be sent from any player on the team though, except for the captain.
  • Once I have your submission, I will grade it immediately and post the score for everyone to see. Due to the dynamic nature of this quiz though, I will also post updates to your scores as more submissions are sent to me.
  • Any team that fails to submit their answers before the deadline will be ineligible to receive any points for this trial.
  • The highest scorer(s) will be awarded one marathon point.
  • Feel free to collaborate. Given that you obey the above rules, I encourage it!
  • The deadline to submit your answers is 72 hours (3 days) from now. Good luck!

As a final note, for each of these three trials, they must be submitted by a recruited member on the team, not the captain. Furthermore, a different person must make the submission for each of the three trials. The deadline will be at 3 PM Central Time on Wednesday, May 16. Have fun!

Now, the quiz!

1. AP Exams for which subject take place on Monday, May 14, in the afternoon?
2. What is the average concentration of Alcohol By Volume (ABV) in beer? If you don't want to give me the average, just give me a reasonable range of numbers here.
3. What team am I on in the mafia game that will soon earn the title of "never existed"?
4. How many quizzes have I given out in total including this one?
5. What was the secret prize of my previous competition? Hint: It was an image. Post an appropriate image for your answer.
6. Who is the primary rival of the Angry Video Game Nerd? Hint: He reviews movies, not games.
7. What is required to open the Thousand Year Door?
8. What was unusual about the weather in the United States last March?
9. "If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ. Let him be accused O Lord come. Amen!" was said in what anime?
10. What is the resolution of my monitor?
11. Who made Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series?
12. What is the derivative, dy/dx, of y = x ln(x) + x^2?
13. What movie makes Roger Ebert "Cringe... just sitting here thinking about it"
14. What is the main reason the Earth has seasons?
15. Can you win?

By the way, if your team makes an IRC channel, please invite me to it!

Bass

Brother in arms
We have our first complete submission!

Ironically, it was from Team Most Likely To Idle. I have graded their quiz, which I am tentatively giving a 7/15. Not too shabby, but I may "curve" this score later depending on how everyone else performs, if you know what I mean.

Bass

Brother in arms
Our next submission was from team name pending.

Their current score is a 5/15. Seems like they have a lot to learn.

But wait! It seems that with this, Team Most Likely To Idle's score fell to a 5/15 as well.

Bass

Brother in arms
Deadline.

Everyone has submitted their quiz. After "curving" the scores appropriately, these are the final results:

A Rock: -7/10
zorbees and his superfriends: -3/10
Most Likely To Idle: -5/10
team name pending: -7/10

Here are the quiz solutions, if anyone was curious:

1. Physics (Both B and C)
2. The average ABV for beer is about 5.9%. Any reasonable range was accepted, as long as it did not include outliers (eg, 0%, 25%)
3. Deep Sea
4. 3

6. The Nostalgia Critic
7. The Crystal Stars
8. It was unusually warm.
9. Hellsing
10. 2560 x 1440
11. LittleKuriboh
12. ln x + 2x + 1
13. North
14. Variations in Insolation due to the tilt of the Earth's Axis
15. Yes

Thus, I would like to congratulate zorbees and his superfriends for winning the first trial! They will be awarded one marathon point for their efforts. In terms of marathon points then, these are the current standings.

A Rock: 1
zorbees and his superfriends: 1
Most Likely To Idle: 0
team name pending: 0

Information regarding your second trial in this task will be up just a little bit later, in about an hour or so.

Bass

Brother in arms
Alright guys. I hope you found your first trial enjoyable. More importantly though, I hope the new recruits have learned something. Your next trial should provide you plenty of additional opportunities to hone your skills, though.

Before that though, let us get the ugly news out of the way. Some players have submitted their singing auditions as part of their punishments in the fourth task. Unfortunately, only two players complied:

forks
Steven Snype

Since it seems porygon3, Ditto, and EARTHWORM were not paying attention, I won't give them the unavoidably harsher punishment just yet, I will just make the current punishment for them more difficult. Your recording must now include this song as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzo0iHrivVQ

If you claimed not to have a mic, then your essay explaining the benefits of owning a mic must now be at least 1500 words long instead of 1000.

This is your last chance. If you do not submit your recordings to me within one week from now, you will suffer the harshest punishment possible.

With that out of the way, let's discuss the details of your second trial.

Specifically, this trial will be a game of "Swords and Shields". This is actually based on a game I used to play as a child with people across from me on the bus, but to you guys it should resemble a heavily watered down multi-faction mafia game. In terms of rules, they are incredibly simple. So simple in fact that I do not need to provide a lengthy background discussion. This time, I'll just go straight to specifics.

• This trial will be split into four cycles.
  • Each player on the team must submit one action each cycle.
  • Your objective is to kill other players on the opposing team while surviving yourselves.
  • If a team member dies, they are permanently out of the trial and can no longer submit any actions during the following cycles.
  • The actions available to you are: Attack, Defend.
    • Attack: Strike down at another player of your choice with all of your might. If their defenses are insufficient, they will be killed. Multiple players on your team can target one player for a more powerful attack.
    • Defend: Defend a player of your choice. You can defend yourself. The more defense a player has, the more attacks they can withstand. If a player has more people attacking him than defending him, he will die. A player may not defend the same person two cycles in a row.
  • The actions of all players will be revealed at the end of each cycle, just like in Diplomacy.
  • The team with the most surviving players at the end of the trial will win a marathon point. Ties are possible, in which case they all get points.
  • To make things more interesting, the team captains will have only one action available to them like the other players, but will count as two people for the sake of determining the winning team at the end.
  • Each action must come from individual members of the team.
  • There is no fancy priority system in this game. If you get attacked and your defense is insufficient, you will die, regardless of your own actions.
  • Regarding draws: Ties our determined by how long a team survives. If two teams remain standing and then everyone dies in the following cycle, the draw will be between them, and not all four teams.

We will now start the second trial at cycle 1. The deadline will be in 48 hours, so Friday, May 18, at 4 PM Central Time. Good luck!

Bass

Brother in arms
Cycle 1 of the second trial of the fifth task is now over. These were the orders written by each team:

zorbees : Defend zorbees
theangryscientist : Attack LightWolf
Fatecrashers : Attack dak
askaninjask : Defend Self

A Rock
billymills : Attack askaninjask *Deflected*
jumpluff : Attack Fatecrashers
DaLetterEl : Attack theangryscientist
LightWolf : Attack zorbees *Deflected*

Most Likely To Idle
Pidge : Defend Self
Draycos7 : IDLE
Walrein : Defend Draycos7
kingofkongs : Attack DaLetterEl

team name pending
Fishin : Defend Self
dak : Attack jumpluff
Paperblade : Defend Self
EARTHWORM : Defend Self

And with this, the casualties of Cycle 1 are: theangryscientist, Fatecrashers, LightWolf, jumpluff, DaLetterEl, and dak. Such unfortunate losses indeed, but the trial must move on. Keep in mind that there is no deadtalking rule, so the fallen players may still strategize or even communicate with members of other teams.

Before I begin Cycle 2 though, I will offer one warning to Draycos7, who committed a terrible offense by breaking his oath of no idling. Should he break it again, he will be punished and immediately subbed out. Potential subs, feel free to sign up while posting the oath if you have not already!

But anyway, let's move on. Cycle 2 starts now. It will also end in ~48 hours, that is 4 PM CST on Sunday, May 20.

Bass

Brother in arms
Cycle 2 of the second trial of the fifth task is now over. These were the orders written by each team:

zorbees : Attack Fishin
askaninjask : Attack kingofkongs *Deflected*

A Rock
billymills : IDLE

Most Likely To Idle
Pidge : Attack EARTHWORM *Deflected*
Draycos7 : Defend Pidge
Walrein : Defend kingofkongs
kingofkongs : Attack Paperblade

team name pending
Fishin : Attack billymills
Paperblade : Defend EARTHWORM
EARTHWORM : IDLE

As a result, the casualties of Cycle 2 were Fishin, billymills, and Paperblade. This also means that A Rock has been utterly defeated. But on to the more pressing matter. It seems that EARTHWORM and billymills were the idlers of this cycle. billymills will be left off the hook given his status and circumstances, but EARTHWORM's offense was unacceptable! I highly suggest that people stop breaking the oath that they pledged to follow in the future. You understand me? Good. We will move on to Cycle 3. I will give you all 48 hours again (until Tuesday, May 22 at 5 PM CST), though I expect it to end sooner since less than half of the original players are remaining in this trial. Good luck, and be sure not to break the oath!

Bass

Brother in arms
Cycle 3 of the second trial of the fifth task is now over. These were the orders written by each team:

zorbees : Attack Pidge
askaninjask : IDLE

Most Likely To Idle
Pidge : Attack zorbees
Draycos7 : Attack zorbees
Walrein : Attack askaninjask
kingofkongs : Attack EARTHWORM

team name pending
EARTHWORM : Attack Pidge

And with that, only team Most Likely To Idle remains alive, with 3 players standing! They will be awarded one marathon point for winning this trial.

These are the current standings:

A Rock: 1
zorbees and his superfriends: 1
Most Likely To Idle: 1
team name pending: 0

Looks like team name pending needs to get their act together! I am slightly busy at the moment, so expect information for the third trial of the fifth task to be up later this evening, if not tomorrow morning.

Bass

Brother in arms
Alright, let's move on to the third trial of the fifth task.

This trial will be an arm wrestling tournament. There will be three rounds, to be exact. The rules are even more simple than the previous two trials. Basically, each player on each team will vary in strength, though the total strength of each team will be equal. In each round, the stronger player will win and score the team one point. Unfortunately though, the strongest player on each team is also a little too strong. Should he face the weakest player on an opposing team, he will break his arm from a surprising difference in strength, which will result in a violation on your team. Not only that, but the weaker player's team will be awarded two points instead of one.

That's it for the background information. As always, here are the more detailed rules of the trial:

• This trial will be an arm wrestling tournament, round robin style. In other words, there will be three rounds, such that each team will face each of the other ones exactly once.
  • Each player on the team will have varying degrees of strength, in fictitious units called POW, as in the second task. The team will have a total of 10 POW, with each player having a unique amount of POW (ie 1, 2, 3, and 4 for POW for the respective players).
  • For each round, each team will select one player to represent them against the other team, and the representatives of that team for that round will BRAWL. Naturally, the team who sent the player with the strongest POW will win, and be awarded 1 point for that round. Ties yield no points. However, an exception occurs if a player with 4 POW goes up against a player with 1 POW. In that situation, with the latter player on it will not only win that round, but be awarded 2 points instead of 1! Be wary of this.
  • After round results are posted, you will not know the POW of the opposing player unless the exceptional case (1 POW vs 4 POW) occurs.
  • If two teams are tied after the third round ends, their last players will duke it out in a sudden death match. If the tie is more than two way, then the game ends with all of those teams being awarded marathon points.
  • Each player may only battle in one round, so pick your representatives wisely!
  • The team(s) with the most points at the end of the three rounds will win the trial.

We will now start at Round 1. These are the matchups:

A Rock vs Most Likely To Idle
zorbees and his superfriends vs team name pending

You have until 9 PM CST on Thursday, May 24 (48 hours) to PM me who your team will pick as a representative for this round. This PM can come from any player on the team. Good luck!

Note: I originally wrote this such that each team could customize their own stat spreads with a total of 15 POW. Doing it this way will change the nature of the game entirely. However, some of you might prefer it that way. If enough of you tell me that you would rather play it this way within the next 24 hours, I will add a Training Round for stat allocation and edit the trial accordingly.

Earthworm requested that I help him get the word out there about his song. Since downloading .mp3s from Mediafire then opening them in your music player can be inconvenient, I decided to maximise the available audience and upload it to YouTube. It's worth noting that the original instructions claim you must upload a video of it or upload the file to Soundcloud, so I recommend Earthworm be punished again regardless, but here we go:

[youtube]pjHU4wRkVwQ[/youtube]

I want you to post a video of you singing all three of these songs in any order (on youtube, soundcloud is also fine). To make sure that it is you singing and not someone else, make sure you say "I LOST THE GAME."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)