Project Neverused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's get some more discussion in here. A lot of the sets posted here have proved to be very effective in the NU metagame and should be used a lot more often.

Standard Moveset with a Twist

Electabuzz

Trait: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

Exactly like the special attacker set on-site, except with Timid over Modest and Eviolite over Choice Scarf. Eviolite allows Electabuzz to become an effective bulky attacker. In fact, it's the only good fast, bulky Volt Switch user. While Eviolite Electabuzz is somewhat weak, it hits a lot of Pokemon super effectively, allowing it to 2HKO most Pokemon despite it not having the highest Special Attack. The healthy mix between power, bulk, and Speed is why you'd want to use Electabuzz over another Electric-type, making it a brilliant offensive pivot. Don't try to use it like a wallbreaker. Trust me, it won't be OHKO'ing walls anytime soon.

Offensive Seadra has also been somewhat fun, although I haven't had many chances to use it. It gets worn down really easily which is annoying, but it's quite powerful and bulky even without the HP/Defense EV's. I might post the set lately.

I got the idea for this set from someone who posted an illegal set for simisear which involved the combination of using nasty plot with focus sash to be guaranteed to get at least 1 nasty plot off as well as putting in in blaze range (blaze is unreleased). There is one other poke that can get both blaze and nasty plot that is usable in NU (barring chimchar).

SPECIAL SASH MONFERNO

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spec Att, 252 Speed (0 IVs in Hp, Def, and Spec def)
Nature: Hasty/Naive (to reduce your choice of Def or Spec def)
Item: Focus Sash
Attacks:
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Overheat
Focus Blast/Hidden Power Ice
Vacuum Wave

Description: Now there are a good amount of counters to this set which I acknowledge. The purpose of this set isn't to be sent out as a lead and sweep the entire team after nasty plot hits and blaze kicks in. Its purpose is to be brought in when its counters are gone so it has to have a team built around it but it won't disappoint. Nasty Plot is a given. The fire move is largely on personal preference. Fire Blast can be used repeatedly and is Monferno's best option to ko multiple pokes. Flamethrower is thrown in there because Fire Blast's shaky accuracy might scare people. Overheat is not recommended but it gets tossed in because it is Monferno's strongest move but because of its drops it should be used on a set that's intended to switch afterwards Although it does cancel out nasty plot so i guess it can be used twice especially from blaze range. Focus Blast is Monferno's other stab move and its strongest non fire move. If using Focus Blast you most likely aren't afraid of accuracy so use Fire Blast. I put Hidden Power Ice because it 1hko's altaria after rock damage and hits swanna and other water/flying types for neutral damage. You have to adjust IVs as well but I recommend just using Focus Blast for max power because the main point for this set is to come in after counters are gone. Vacuum wave is for priority and koes common sucker punch users such as absol and cacturne.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Disclaimer: It's Sunday but Master Dingle allowed me to post. Also, this shit is long but I really needed all that space to describe it, seriously.

(M) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Guts​
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 132 SDef / 96 Spd​
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)​
- Swords Dance​
- Substitute
- Frustration​
- Crunch/Earthquake​

This set looks weird, but it's basically like a more offensive Sub Swords Dance Lickilicky. Ursaring has acceptable bulk; with the given EV's it can easily outspeed and set up a Sub against Tangela which it will be unable to break in one hit. Ursaring can then proceed to alternate between Swords Dance and Substitute until it is at +4 where it will always 2HKO Tangela. If they switch out then you're still at +2 behind your sub, and very few Pokemon can survive boosted STAB attacks from base 130 attack, even if the stat is nearly uninvested.

The last slot depends on what its teammates can remove: If Ghost types are easy to remove then Earthquake is the better option to kill Pokemon such as Golem, Regirock and Bastiodon, all of which can beat Ursaring without Earthquake. If Rock types aren't a problem, then Crunch can be used to kill Ghost types such as Misdreavus, Haunter and Drifblim, which otherwise wall the set.

The EV's, as previously stated, allow Ursaring to Swords Dance up against Tangela, since 4 Special Attack Giga Drain will never break its Sub. 96 Speed lets it outspeed most Tangela so you can use Substitute before they can Sleep Powder or Leech Seed you. The remaining EV's were played in attack to strengthen Ursarings blows a bit.

Lickilicky might seem like a better option thanks to its superior defenses, but Ursaring has a few qualities that make it stand out: First and foremost, its attack stat is almost 1.5x as high as Lickilicky's, which can make a big difference if it can't boost all the way up to +6. For example, Ursaring almost always OHKO's 252/0 Emboar with a +2 Frustration, while Lickilicky would have its Sub broken while being forced out the next turn thanks to the threat of a super-effective Superpower or a Blaze boosted Flare Blitz. Another draw of Ursaring over Lickilicky is Guts: even if Toxic Spikes are up, Ursaring doesn't become useless since its attacks get powered up which allows it to go on a suicide rampage. It also means burns by Lava Plume/Will-O-Wisp don't mean the end for it. The final important thing Ursaring has over Lickilicky is Crunch, which allows it to beat Drifblim, as well as Haunter/Misdreavus more consistently. It's also a decent neutral coverage move.

The things Lickilicky has going for it are the ability to hit Rocks and Ghosts (to a certain extent) at the same time with Power Whip, as well as much greater bulk. Ursaring, unfortunately, is also unable to beat Quagsire without Toxic Spikes (unless you get burned by Scald), while Lickilicky easily OHKO's. Basically, while Lickilicky does have some things going for it, Ursaring can run a SubSD set just as well.

For evidence of this set working please contact users: Django Reinhart, DTC, shnen

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
That Ursaring set is retardedly bulky. When I first played this team I couldn't figure out why my attacks were doing so much less than normal and now I know why! It really is a good set and can run over most stall teams/ bulky teams.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah that Ursaring is an absolute bitch to face, especially when using hard stall or defensively orientated teams, since it sets up all over stuff like Tangela. Once you figure out whether it has Crunch or EQ though, it can be a lot easier to beat. Crunch is walled by Bastiodon / Probopass, while Earthquake can be stopped by Haunter / Misdreavus. Obviously the Ursaring team will have ways to remove these, but if you know the set in advance you can be sure to keep your counter alive.

Also, Toxic Spikes really wear it down (if it gets hit by two layers), and since its not as powerful as regular Ursaring it cannot do anywhere near as much damage. Its still an absolute menace to face though.

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Double post, sue me.

I've updated the OP with the best sets posted here, i.e. the ones that were used to good success on the ladder and in tournaments, as well as recieving a positive response in this thread. Now, lets keep this thread going!

The release of BW2 is just around the corner, but don't let that discourage you from posting sets. The metagame is likely to undergoe a huge change, and now is the perfect time to discuss the things which have been successful thus far. Some sets may be rendered useless by the changes (or not, who knows), so be sure to get them out here and make sure they recieve the recognition they deserve. Once BW2 comes out we will likely be starting a new thread, but never fear everything that made it into the database here will be archived in one way or another.

Get posting.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Been using this set in many teams, and when discussing with WhiteDmist, we thought it might be better than the standrad sets with calm mind or sub.

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
EV's: 4 Hp, 252 Sp.A, 252
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Timid (Spe +, Att -)
-Psychic
-shadow ball
-Hp fighting
-Encore

It's pretty much the basic set in terms of coverage but with encore to replace calm mind or sub. It's only briefly mentioned in other options on his page, but I want to put the emphasis on it because encore is one of my favorite moves for it can bypass sub.

Unlike sub, Encore keeps your sash intact (in fact the sash is kind of like a sub already and kadabra is already immune to toxic, burn and leech seed). With encore, magic guard and it's great speed, kadabra can come in on predicted toxic, WoW, leech seed, protect, sub, SR, dual screen, sleep talk, swords dance etc. and gain a free turn and hazard damage (only expecptions are the very fast serperior, jumpluff, pranksters, speed boosters like SS ludicolo and boosters with priority like linoone and samurott). With this, kadabra can come in on some pokes that would usualy be his dedicated counters and make some devastating damage to less appropriate switch-ins. It's also a great way to counter everything that uses the very dangerous sub boosting sets like the above Ursaring. In desprate situations, he can even pp stall sucker punch if the opponent has 1 poke remaining or pp stall recovery moves until a switch.

The set works incredibly well for the moment because encore is very rare and unexpected on kadabra but might lose in power if it becomes predictable, though I doubt it will. In a team, he is awesome to bring general support with encore and nearly always does more than 1 kill thanks to it's sash making him a very useful way to bring down that 1 poke that counters your team (as long as it's not skuntank or a sp.d demon like regice).

Kadabra still uses the great combination of sash + magic guard meaning he will nearly always get at least 2 attacks from his powerful Sp.A stat. I guess coverage can be changed too depending on the team. Especialy since kadabra has to lose speed ties with rapidash, offensive crygonal and electabuzz because of Hp fighting.

The set requires barely no support but can appreciate a cleric if you play dangerously (I do) and regirock goes for T Wave instead of SR.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Huhhh so I made a sun team without using Heat Rock during the Heat Rock suspect last time >.>

Victreebel @ Leftovers Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

- Sunny Day

It's pretty much a utility Victreebel that doesn't actually sweep, unlike the standard Growth set, which is pretty powerful. What it does is pave way for other sweepers (Exeggutor) to sweep more easily. With Sunny Day to just outspeed almost everything in the tier and Sleep Powder to cripple something and put them to sleep. When there's a need to, a fast Sleep Powder can be pretty handy. Victreebel is supposed to stick around and wear down teams a little after putting something to sleep. Giga Drain along with Leftovers provides better longevity. Unboosted Victreebel is quite weak but it doesn't have to KO anything though. Sometimes, it can clean up weakened teams with just Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb with the sun up thanks to Chlorophyll. Being able to set up Sunny Day by itself is pretty annoying. What it has over Amoonguss, Tangela, and Vileplume is much higher Speed with Chlorophyll so it can fire off Sleep Powder without having to take a hit most of the time unless it misses :x A matchup against those Grass-type also mean that Victreebel can put them to sleep first. Victreebel also has a better offensive presence to deter random Pokemon from setting up on it like Swords Dance Absol etc. It's more of a team player than something that can nuke teams.

Personally, I didn't miss having the raw power of a +2 Victreebel. It's pretty hard to set up Growth against a good player anyway and being able to cripple opponents with Sleep Powder is pretty fun. Ehh Weather Ball can be used over Sludge Bomb for better coverage against Poison-types but it attracts Magmortar so much I'd stick with Sludge Bomb. It's also a more reliable move when sun isn't up.

Sawsbuck @ Leftovers Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

SubSD Sawsbuck with Sap Sipper can set up on Tangela that lack Sludge Bomb. It can set up on Tangela and standard Misdreavus after switching into Shadow Ball. The latter can't do anything to Sawsbuck as they try to Will-O-Wisp it, only to be blocked by Substitute and allow Sawsbuck to nab a free Swords Dance while it switches. Getting to +4 isn't too hard against those two and since they're somewhat common, it often gets the chance to set up. It doesn't really miss Nature Power / Earthquake since Normal and Grass is pretty okay coverage anyway. Against Absol, it's mostly a Substitute and Sucker Punch prediction war. Also switching onto something like Regirock and Alomomola and getting a Substitute up is quite possible as they often opt for their status move if they don't switch out directly. Substitute also makes it pretty hard to revenge kill with priority and it's no longer reliant on Chlorophyll to outspeed some Pokemon when the Substitute can just take a hit. Sap Sipper is the best thing on Sawsbuck. Switch in on Sleep Powder and the likes and you can either attack straight away or set up to +3. A semi-reliable switch-in for Choice Specs Exeggutor if they don't see the switch coming from a mile away. However, it has to avoid Sludge Bomb from Amoonguss and Vileplume so it cannot be relied on to take their status moves.

They're fun sets to work with that work okay >.> (I like Substitute too much haha :x)

So me and NLI made a team a while back, and it had this little thing in it:

Physically Defensive Wynaut :D

Wynaut (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Mirror Coat
- Encore

I personally prefer this spread over the one that's onsite, since you're better off superbly walling one part of the attacking spectrum than trying to wall everything. There are only a few Pokemon that can really do that (none of them are NU), so basically this Wynaut focuses on physical defense. It's a really great trapper for Fighting-types, especially Choice Sawk, who just straight up dies to this thing. Never gotten to trap Gurdurr with this, though I don't think it OHKOes with a +1 Payback. In the meantime though Encore + Counter beats Sawk pretty much, while you have enough physical bulk to wall other physical attackers like Samurott, though you can even kill Skuntank if you play your cards right! I.e. LO Sucker Punch does around 65% (since apparently that's activated by counter ._. ) allowing you to just kill it. As an added plus, since this thing is so good at taking out Fighting-types, Linoone works as an absolutely awesome partner, since with trapper support it can just mess up everything and everyone. Try pairing this thing with other Fighting-weak Pokemon too, like LO Cryo. I've tried it with this thing and it works pretty well :P. As an extra note, don't try making a specially defensive version of this, it doesn't work. Specs Eggy still has a chance to OHKO you with Leaf Storm, and it always does after Stealth Rock damage.

e: also this little set, credits to NLI for thinking of this one!

Offensive Probopass

Probopass (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sturdy / Magnet Pull
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 232 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon / Power Gem
- Stealth Rock

This actually works pretty well, considering how ludicrous it might seem at first. Think of this first and foremost as an offensive SR setter in the vein of Golem and friends. This set intends to beat the most common SR setters: Golem, Probopass and Bastiodon, among others. You outspeed standard Golem by 2 points, allowing you to 2HKO with Flash Cannon. They can't even touch you with Earthquake because of Balloon, which is an added plus! You can also pull out a win from Armaldo, since you outspeed and OHKO with a quad effective Flash Cannon. Thus, you can effectively set your own SR while preventing the opponent from doing the same. You can also try and beat Cryogonal but that's pretty risky; Flash Cannon 3HKOes the specially defensive variant after stealth rock, while you 2HKO the offensive variant. Thus, you keep your hazards up as well! Volt Switch is cool for keeping momentum up, while it also does pretty decent damage to things like Alomomola and Samurott switching in. Reminds me of Special Forretress if anything :P

Sweet Jesus

So me and NLI made a team a while back, and it had this little thing in it:

Wynaut (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Mirror Coat
- Encore

I personally prefer this spread over the one that's onsite, since you're better off superbly walling one part of the attacking spectrum than trying to wall everything. There are only a few Pokemon that can really do that (none of them are NU), so basically this Wynaut focuses on physical defense. It's a really great trapper for Fighting-types, especially Choice Sawk, who just straight up dies to this thing. Never gotten to trap Gurdurr with this, though I don't think it OHKOes with a +1 Payback. In the meantime though Encore + Counter beats Sawk pretty much, while you have enough physical bulk to wall other physical attackers like Samurott, though you can even kill Skuntank if you play your cards right! I.e. LO Sucker Punch does around 65% (since apparently that's activated by counter ._. ) allowing you to just kill it. As an added plus, since this thing is so good at taking out Fighting-types, Linoone works as an absolutely awesome partner, since with trapper support it can just mess up everything and everyone. Try pairing this thing with other Fighting-weak Pokemon too, like LO Cryo. I've tried it with this thing and it works pretty well :P. As an extra note, don't try making a specially defensive version of this, it doesn't work. Specs Eggy still has a chance to OHKO you with Leaf Storm, and it always does after Stealth Rock damage.
Just an idea, but if you're gonna wall only physcial threats, mirror coat could be replaced by charm since combined with encore it makes it very easy for linoone to get his free set up and you will only be switching into special threats if the situation is dramatic. Good players will probably not go for a non-damaging move if they see linoone in the team preview as they know he will come in after encore, but charm will still help linoone come in on weak threats.

Actually, I've found Mirror Coat useful in a lot of situations where I knew I could live an attack from a special attacker and Mirror Coat them to death. However, most of the times I was against one of them I ended up using Destiny Bond, so I'll try out Charm sometime! However, Counter's power against the opponent will lower if I use Charm beforehand, so I'm still a bit iffy on it. Charm lets Linoone set up on more physical attacks though, so again it has its merits.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I've tried to use Wynaut effectively, but it almost always ends up as dead weight on my team. Sure, it can Counter a whole load of physical threats, but in reality Wynaut usually only nets one kill in a battle due to it not having reliable recovery. I would rather use something like Musharna to counter Fighting-types since it can actually threaten the opposing team offensively. Even if I pair up Wynaut with Lickilicky, which seems like a good idea on paper, it still gets beaten down by a lot of physical attackers that aren't Fighting-types.

Sweet Jesus

Actually, I've found Mirror Coat useful in a lot of situations where I knew I could live an attack from a special attacker and Mirror Coat them to death. However, most of the times I was against one of them I ended up using Destiny Bond, so I'll try out Charm sometime! However, Counter's power against the opponent will lower if I use Charm beforehand, so I'm still a bit iffy on it. Charm lets Linoone set up on more physical attacks though, so again it has its merits.
Don't use charm if you're going to counter, just use it when you want to let linoone come in safely (the opponent can't even make a surprise switch to something you'd prefer counterig than charming). If magic coat is more useful than D bond you can replace Dbond instead. If not, replace magic coat and if it doesn't work, well hey it was just an idea. This being said, I agree with Flcl that a wall without recovery (not even pain split) isn't too useful and seems more of a gimmick to help linoone sweep.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Mixed Emboar

Emboar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 160 Atk / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
  • Superpower
  • Fire Blast
  • Grass Knot
  • Hidden Power [Ice] / Head Smash

Mixed Emboar is simply amazing in the current metagame. It can feign a Choice set and grab surprise KO's on things such as Amoonguss, Carracosta, and Quagsire. This Emboar is extremely hard to wall thanks to its ability to hit hard both physically and specially, making it great against defensive teams. It's best used early game to gain the momentum right away and hopefully punch some hopes in the opponent's team, opening up for a path for a sweep by another Pokemon.

Although this set is slow, it's usually not a problem since Mixed Emboar's main role is to break down walls. It would definitely enjoying having Thunder Wave support though, since it can probably mow over most teams after they are Paralyzed. The main Pokemon that should be paired up with this set are ones that can take advantage of walls being removed, such as Samurott or Absol. Sturdier Pokemon that can switch into Emboar's weaknesses are also good teammates since it is extremely easy to come in after something has died and revenge kill Emboar.

Fire Blast and Superpower are givens on a Mixed Emboar set. They can break down bulky Grass-types who usually run defense and Normal-types who usually run special defense. Grass Knot can grab OHKO's on things such as Golem and Carracosta looking to tank a hit and KO with Earthquake or Waterfall. The last slot is used to hit Altaria, who would otherwise wall Emboar. Hidden Power Ice is the most reliable option, but Head Smash will be the better option once Shadow Tag Lampent comes out.

96 Speed EV's are used to outrun max speed Golem and is the standard option for Choice Band sets. However, since Golem is no longer as common, they can be adjusted to fit your team. Max special attack is used to hit as hard as possible with Fire Blast, which will be Emboar's main move. The rest is dumped into attack to hit harder with Superpower, doing huge amounts of damage to the likes of Flareon and Lickilicky.

Wow I haven't checked this thread in a while. Thanks for the shoutout Natgeo, Wynaut was pretty fun to use - it wasn't spectacular but it didn't disappoint either. I was disappointed with Jumpluff though, it suffers from not having any power before setup which makes it unable to revenge stuff and Sleep Powder kept missing! Offensive Timid Probo is always fun to use lol.

Also FLCL I've started using mixed Emboar, similar to yours but with max speed and Head Smash instead of HP Ice and HP Grass instead of Grass Knot. It sounded amazing on paper but I find that I am really missing that Band Flare Blitz. You really notice the difference in power when spamming neutral ebelt Fire Blast and it only does 45% or something. It really needs to land a super effective hit or else be able to outspeed its opponent to do major damage. I'll keep using it but that ability to just hit Flare Blitz regardless of opponent and watch things get OHKOed is something I'm missing right now.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
@ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Weezing's passable Special attack, good movepool and unique typing allow it to be an effective defensive anchor for offensive teams. Possessing useful Fighting and Grass resists as well as a Ground immunity, Weezing can switch into a plethora of threats such as Serperior, Tangela, Amoonguss and Sawk with ease and either set up a Substitute, leech their health with Pain Split or outright attack with a decently powered Sludge Bomb or Fire Blast. Substitute allows Weezing to scout the opponents next move, and prevents Tangela and Amoonguss from using Status or Leech Seed; they are also unable to break it with any move bar Hidden Power [Psychic]. Pain Split allows Weezing to regain some of its health when something it can't handle 1 on 1, such as Probopass, switches in. Sludge Bomb is a STAB move and hits surprisingly hard with maximum investment and a Life Orb boost. Fire Blast is the preferred coverage move because it allows Weezing to get, at the very least, a neutral hit on every type except Rock. Thunderbolt can be used instead of Fire Blast as a coverage moves to hit Water types harder, but loses a lot of power against neutral targets compared to Fire Blast.

Sludge Bomb's poison rate is extremely helpful when faced with threats such as the aforementioned Rock types or special walls such as Lickilicky because it means they can't stall Weezing forever. More speed can be run to outspeed specific targets such as Golem and most Emboar but, most of the time, Haunter does a better job at being a speedy Sub + Pain Split user; Weezing should make use of its great natural bulk. One advantage of a speed set would be Pain Split healing a lot more HP in percent. Be warned, however, that Tangela can now break an eventual Substitute with Hidden Power Rock which makes Weezing unable to retain one every time like it could with that bulky spread.

Like SubSD Ursaring could be compared to Lickilicky, this set can kind of be compared to Haunter. They both make use of the combination of Substitute + Pain Split to keep their low base HP as high as possible. While Haunter is stronger and a lot faster, it is also a lot frailer and absolute Skuntank bait, which is everywhere in the current metagame. Weezing can also risk attacking stuff such as Golem since it's far from being one-shotted by Rock Blast or Sucker Punch.

I can attest to mixed Emboar being pretty good. Its diversity and power in one make it really hard to find a suitable switch-in, unlike the Choice Band set which can 2HKO everything but needs flawless prediction. I think that Substitute deserves a slash over either Grass Knot or Head Smash/Hidden Power [Ice] though, since Emboar forces switches like nothing else. It also means a mispredict is much less costly and punishes Protect, which people still like to use to scout Emboar's "Choice Banded" move.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, mixed Emboar is pretty good. I was eager to use it a while back, but found myself using Magmortar because I needed something to take Spores and Sleep Powders from the Grass types it'd be switching into. Once Magmortar leaves the tier I'm sure it'll become a very popular set.

Speaking of Fire types, Rapidash finally gets a Ground-type move in Drill Run, not only meaning that it can switch into Fire types with ease, it can also kill them!

Rapidash @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Drill Run
- Low Kick / Megahorn
- Morning Sun

This was my main problem with using Rapidash during Research Week: it wasn't able to deal enough damage to the Fire-types it was trying to kill, often getting hit by Flareon's Toxic when Return failed to OHKO. Low Kick is also cool for dealing more damage to Regirock, Miltank, etc, while Megahorn hits Musharna harder. I just wish I had Drill Run during Research Week for those damn Fire-types! Okay, Earthquake would have been better, but whatever.

Also, I love the looks of that Weezing set CBB! I remember trying to put an offensive Weezing set through QC but failing, and I stated that I'd try a Life Orb + Pain Split set in the future but never did. Glad to see someone else thinks it can work! :)

Physically Defensive/Anti-Lead Marowak

@ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 172 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Any goddamn filler you'd like although I'd recommend Toxic in this slot
- Double-Edge/Stone Edge/Low Kick/any goddamn filler you'd like, he has tons
- Bonemerang

Marowak still retains some good walling abilities. Able to come in on common fighting, rock and other physical attacks.

Lets see- Outspeeds Probopass, Carracosta, and 4 Spd Golem (by one point).
I decided to try this out just randomly because I remembered that Marowak has decent physical defense and it doesn't need too much investment in Atk thanks to Thick Club.

Some damage calcs on those common SR Lead pokes-

Golem
Although I usually see 252 HP / 252 Atk Golems I made the calcs with it purely defensive just to show the power of Marowak.

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/252Def Sturdy Golem (+Def): 72% - 85% (264 - 312 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/0Def Golem (Neutral): 93% - 112% (340 - 408 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 64% chance to OHKO.

Probopass
76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/252Def Probopass (+Def): 148% - 177% (480 - 576 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

Sturdy? Np.

Carracosta was ultimately the strongest out of the bunch.

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/252Def Solid Rock Carracosta (+Def): 54% - 64% (192 - 228 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Although since I've only seen offensive lead sets..

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/0Def Solid Rock Carracosta (Neutral): 71% - 85% (252 - 300 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Sweet Jesus

Physically Defensive/Anti-Lead Marowak

@ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 172 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Any goddamn filler you'd like although I'd recommend Toxic in this slot
- Double-Edge/Stone Edge/Low Kick/any goddamn filler you'd like, he has tons
- Bonemerang

Marowak still retains some good walling abilities. Able to come in on common fighting, rock and other physical attacks.

Lets see- Outspeeds Probopass, Carracosta, and 4 Spd Golem (by one point).
I decided to try this out just randomly because I remembered that Marowak has decent physical defense and it doesn't need too much investment in Atk thanks to Thick Club.

Some damage calcs on those common SR Lead pokes-

Golem
Although I usually see 252 HP / 252 Atk Golems I made the calcs with it purely defensive just to show the power of Marowak.

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/252Def Sturdy Golem (+Def): 72% - 85% (264 - 312 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/0Def Golem (Neutral): 93% - 112% (340 - 408 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 64% chance to OHKO.

Probopass
76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/252Def Probopass (+Def): 148% - 177% (480 - 576 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

Sturdy? Np.

Carracosta was ultimately the strongest out of the bunch.

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/252Def Solid Rock Carracosta (+Def): 54% - 64% (192 - 228 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Although since I've only seen offensive lead sets..

76Atk Thick Club Marowak (+Atk) Bonemerang vs 252HP/0Def Solid Rock Carracosta (Neutral): 71% - 85% (252 - 300 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
Probopass leads are often anti-golem therefore they probably run near max speed and air balloon. Otherwise I like the Idea. However the fact he has no reliable recovery makes it pretty outclassed by quagsire who also runs only one weakness. If he goes to RU though it might be able to throw off a couple of tangelas and st up rocks unlike quag.

Sweet Jesus

Double posts ftw.

Been using this gurdurr set lately and just... wow really wow.

Gurdurr @ eviolite
Ability: sheer force
EV's: 28 HP, 252 Att, 216 Def, 12 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off/Toxic

Unlike the usual Gurdurr set, this set does not set up and while it can't sweep, it's much better at keeping momentum in this ultra offensive metagame NU has become. EV's are usualy put in sp.d because of bulk up, but gurdurr's great defence and Hp (for a NFE) make it a decent physical wall coupled with it's SR resistance and few weaknesses. While it's not the best pokemon in terms of walling, Gurdurr has some extremly useful tools no other wall has. It's great attack coupled with drain punch gives it a way to dish out damage and heal up simultaneously, defence EVs are set in consequence (it doesn't maximize bulk but makes healing easier). Powerful Mach Punch is also very particular for a wall and is extremly useful nowdays with cinccino and zangoose running around everywhere. Sheer force Ice punch gives pretty good coverage and can hit incoming flying types, Golurk and amoonguss (guts can also be used but I always carry status absorbers and I'm not losing any set up when switching, so it's up to you). Knock off is the last thing that makes this gurdurr so good ! With it, you can easily predict a switch into missy (or other eviolite walls) and have a lot more facility getting rid of it (with something else than gurdurr) to help gurdurr reign supreme. Other eviolite walls are also severly crippled by this since you will be sucking up their HP very easily (they probably run max hp and gurdurr loves that). Knock Off can also weaken switching wallbreakers running choice band or reveal a musharna set. Toxic can aslo be used in more stallish teams, knock works better on offensive teams though (and stall sucks in this round). 12 speed is to outpseed other 40's naturaly but it's really optional since it's sometimes good to attack last with D punch when you also have priority when needed.

I've coupled it with bulky carracosta to tank birds and it's worked good but gurdurrs really doing all the work. carracosta barely does anything but set up rocks against teams without flying types. The dual walls with decent priority is fun though.

Django

Thanks for keeping this going Sweet Jesus, but your post reminded me we needed a new thread, so yeah. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this and please continue to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)