Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

@KS
Still not clear on what you're saying. So does Night Shade take the place of Metronome entirely until I get Metronome, or just for the rival battle? Also, I don't know why you bring up Watson since he's not a part of the challenge. And you can't actually get Metronome before Watson anyway, since you need to be able to use Rock Smash to get there.
Ok, I am obviously not good at explaining my thoughts very good (Blame the Asperger's).

Ok, until you get Metronome, Night Shade is in its place. Just remember that Metronome must be aquired at the first opportunity. As for the Wattson thing, you were talking about just before Flannery.

Jeeze, now I've confused myself >_>

@ShinySkarmory;
Exactly what qualifies as "not requiring eyes or ears"? Because that could be interpreted to mean virtually no attacks allowed to having virtually any attacks allowed (since so few moves use ears and eyes directly in attacking). I need some clarification on that point. Other than that it's all good. Also, unless the "not requiring eyes or ears" ends up being REALLY restrictive, the 7500 poke penalty for every 3 faints is rather low, almost trivial, especially later in the game. I think a more substantial penalty is in order (though I'd rather not forever lose the use of my scramblemon).

@Sprocket
Nice and simple but it looks to be challenging. You do realize you spelled Geico wrong though... right?

@Naix
I'm afraid I can't accept Pedigree for a number of reasons. The number one reason is that your restriction of "must be healed after every battle" DEFINITELY falls under the tedious category. Can you imagine how many Pokemon center visits I'd have to make? Secondly, I really, really don't like restrictions that require me to remember to solo or avoid Pokemon, especially for something as common as "4 legged Pokemon". I already have one such restriction and that's enough; I really don't want any others. I'll find myself forgetting constantly otherwise.

Still need 2 more (assuming I can work out what exactly to do with shinyskarmory's). Post is here.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
@Sprocket
Nice and simple but it looks to be challenging. You do realize you spelled Geico wrong though... right?
No I didn't realize I spelled it wrong. Spell it wrong anyway!

I balanced the challenge by not having any solo requirements or anything crazy like that. Grass types besides Bulbasaur are usually poor enough starters anyway.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Reserving for Jimera0 and Wobbanaut :>
Wobbanaut, take Serene the Deerling. This Deerling must have Serene Grace (i.e. get it from the guys at the weather research lab).
Your restrictions are:

• It may only use moves affected by Serene Grace.
  • It must solo either Grimsley or Marshal of the Elite Four to teach them the value of serenity.
GL;HF!

Wobbanaut wants another mon, does he? :/

Take Darmanitan the Darmanitan. The following restrictions apply to it:

• Darmanitan's OT must be N.
  • Darmanitan must have an ID number starting in 0000.
  • Darmanitan must have the ability Zen Mode.
  • Darmanitan must solo Elesa.

NOT AGAIN

Take Drunken the Frillish.

This Frillish is so absolutely drunk, it has no idea what it's up to. Seriously? Sing a Beyonce-related song every time a Pokemon is caught? geeez. Anyway, it is so plastered it finds itself unable to hold or use any items, except potions (he downs tons of those each day).

Due to its constant habit of imbibing alcohol, this Frillish is always bubbly and cheerful and pretty damn weird. Thus, the only moves it can learn are Bubble and Bubblebeam. After it has defeated 10 wild Pokemon though, this Frillish learns how to be a *bit* more sober; it can now learn Recover, as well as any Ghost-type move. It is still so drunk though, that it can only use one move each time it enters battle. It still can't hold or use items, too.

Eventually, by the time it has evolved into a Jellicent, there is so much alcohol still residing in it that it begins to feel ill. It can now learn Toxic (for obvious reasons). Furthermore, if the opponent is not poisoned, it must use toxic. It has gained control over its tentacles though, so it can use more than one move each battle; in addition, it can use Surf now! :> It still can't use items, sorry :(

Solo Caitlin, because... I'm sure user: Jellicent can explain. ;)

GL;HF!

---
Jimera's is coming soon >.>

Jimera0, take Zen Mode the Numel.

Although most Numels and Camerupts are big, hulking beasts capable of wrecking entire anthills okay, maybe a small town, but still :|, Zen Mode prefers to bide its time, storing up power before the time is right. Before it attacks, Zen Mode must use at least one setup move. To prove the benefits of this method, Zen Mode must land critical hits on at least 5 other Numels.

Finally, solo an E4 member of your choice to show them that brute force is not everything (hmm, this last sentence sounds familiar).

Yeah, reject it if you want; my creativity is a bit lacking lately.

Sorry.

I vote poison

Mysticzap, take Green the Chikorita. Green the chikorita loves nature, and thus must solo those nasty Firebreathers, who constantly blow smoke into the air. Green the chikorita hates poison-types as well, as they leak sludge and pollute the environment, and must participate in beating Koga and Janine. Finally, Green the chikorita is jealous(haha get it?) of your other pokemon, and thus must always be 5 levels higher than the second-highest member of your team. GLHF(and damm I need to start reading properly)

I'll give Jimera his last mon.

EDIT: Jimera0, take Extinct Seedot.

Seedot are super rare in Emerald, for one reason: the ginormous Lotad population made them on the brink of extinction. This Seedot wants to fix this. It comes from the place where Seedot are nearly dead, Route 102. Naturally, it has a hatred of the Lotad family. It must never learn any Grass-type or Water-type move. It may also never use a healing item, because it wants to toughen itself up, so as to not get killed by Lotads. After soloing 25 Lotads (note: soloing a Lombre counts for 5 Lotads, Ludicolo counts for 15), Seedot may evolve.

When you get to the Day-Care, your Nuzleaf is very happy that it gets to produce new Seedots to replace the ones killed by the Lotad. When you have bred and hatched 20 Seedot eggs, Nuzleaf may evolve.

As a Shiftry, it is very dark-hearted. It wants to wipe all Lotads off the face of the earth. Solo every Lotad, Lombre, or Ludicolo you meet, barring other solos. It also hates Elite Four Sydney (Dark-type) for having a Shiftry, and yet tolerating Lotads. Solo him.

GLHF

Thanks for the scramblemons guys ill get started soon no questions since all of them are quite straightforward

Edit: Hey Jimera can I use Tackle on Snivy at first otherwise I have no attacking moves to use in the early game

Thanks for the scramblemons guys ill get started soon no questions since all of them are quite straightforward

Edit: Hey Jimera can I use Tackle on Snivy at first otherwise I have no attacking moves to use in the early game
Oh right you don't start with Vine Whip XD yeah my bad use Tackle but only until you get Vine Whip. After that, you are an Ekans traped in the body of a Snivy goddamit.

@Level 51

Actually I can do that. However, the only set up moves it gets are Focus Energy at 25 and Amnesia at level 31, but is caught at level 14-16. So, I'm going to count any stat changing move (even those that affect the opponent like Growl). Is that ok? Also, I'm not going to grind out 5 critical hits on JUST Numel. Either that restriction should go entirely (it seems totally tacked on honestly) or you should change it so it's not so tedious.

@AOPS User
I cannot accept that challenge in its current state because it's oozing tedium. Soloing a crapton of Lotads is just a pain, and breeding a bunch of seedot is just time padding. Sorry but you're going to have to go back to the drawing board with this one.

Note: Going to bed now, will respond to everyone's responses tomorrow. Still need 1 more, 3 if I don't get changes/clarification from shinyskarmory and Level 51 in a timely manner. Rules post is here.

Reserving for Jimera0

Jimera0 take Kamikaze the Tailow
Kamikaze does not like to use items at all but to improve his battle skills he can Battle Items (X Attacks etc), TM/HMs, and berries (he likes nature). Solo any Gym Leader of your choice to evolve. He just loves to spread his wings but hates Flying(yes no Fly or Aerial Ace) so he can only use attacks that involve wings or speed (I.e. Quick Attack). Oh and have him solo 2 of the champs pokes.

GLHF ^.^

Level 51

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Err, okay Jimera. I actually meant to include Growl in the first part. As for the second part, Focus Energy actually quadruples the critical hit chance; also, I guess you could extend it to "at least 5 critical hits after Focus Energy has been used before he can evolve" or something like that.

@ShinySkarmory;
Exactly what qualifies as "not requiring eyes or ears"? Because that could be interpreted to mean virtually no attacks allowed to having virtually any attacks allowed (since so few moves use ears and eyes directly in attacking). I need some clarification on that point. Other than that it's all good. Also, unless the "not requiring eyes or ears" ends up being REALLY restrictive, the 7500 poke penalty for every 3 faints is rather low, almost trivial, especially later in the game. I think a more substantial penalty is in order (though I'd rather not forever lose the use of my scramblemon).
Ok, after second thought on that restriction, there aren't enough moves that work for it to really make it work.

Instead, Pinball may never learn moves with perfect or 100 accuracy (although obviously this restriction doesn't apply until you have other options). Also, change the 7500 poke restriction to 7500 times the number of times Pinball has run out of lives. Have fun!

I'm going to start my Red version again, so I think I'll do a scramble rather than a Nuzlocke for a change! I can trade. Reasonably hard please. I don't mind not using my starting pokemon, but have a slight preference for Charmander if you'd like me to use one! Cheers m'dears.

Red Scramble:

Pokémon:

Bulbapedia the Bulbasaur

Bulbapedia revels in its awesomeness. It must solo Misty as a Bulbasaur to evolve to Ivysaur. It must learn the move Solar Beam to evolve to Venusaur. As a Venusaur, it must know and keep Solar Beam and Hyper Beam as two of its moves at all times, and it cannot use Hyper Beam in battle unless your battle style is set to "Set".

Opera the Jigglypuff

This Jigglypuff is a great singer, and must put all its opponents to sleep with Sing first.
Furthermore, this Jigglypuff is proud of itself, so it will only use level up moves.

Disco Feet the Ponyta

Must learn every level-up move, and no TMs. Must solo one gym to evolve. Must solo 2 E4 pokemon, and one of your rival's in the E4.

Forgetful the Slowpoke

While Forgetful can use Amnesia (and in fact, it needs to learn and never forget it), whenever it uses it, it ends up forgetting one of its other moves for five trainer battles.

Notes: Forgetful needs to participate in those battles for them to count. The move Forgetful forgets can be determined by using one of the following methods: rolling a die or going to an RNG (the one you used for Espeon65's challange will work just fine) and inputting 1 and 3. For the die, 1 and 4 mean you forget the first of the 3 moves, 2 and 5 correspond to the second, and 3 and 6 the third, and the same applies to the RNG, just ignore the mentions of 4, 5, and 6. Multiple uses of Amnesia stack, and the second move must be determined by a coin flip. Also, for some inexplicable reason, using any items (not called Poke Ball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball, Master Ball, or Poke Flute) on Forgetful tends to cause the same effects as using Amnesia. Note: In the case of TMs and HMs, the move that would be temporarily forgotten cannot be Amnesia, the move Forgetful was just taught, or the move it forgot in place of said move. Also, because Forgetful forgot which Elite Four member used Fighting-types, the member it had the easiest time against and such wanted to solo, it took a random guess as to which one it was. As such, go to an RNG and put in the numbers 1 and 4. The number you get corresponds to which Elite Four member Forgetful must solo. Note: If you get an undesirable result, you can use the RNG again at the cost of one of Forgetful's non-Amnesia moves (again, RNGed) for the entire Pokemon League.

E4 member chosen at random: Agatha.

Random the Gyarados

First, you must BUY the magikarp from the salesman. As a magikarp, the only restriction is to evolve it ASAP. Upon evolution, however, you have a few things you'll have to do:

Once it evolves, roll a 6-sided die. What you get is what Level up move Random gets. 1 is the first Level up move and so on.
Flip a coin: If heads - Strength. If tails - Surf
Go to a RNG and input 21: Whatever number comes out, Look down the TM list from the top that Random can learn and follow that until you reach the move that matches the result. (EX. If you get 12, teach it Tbolt)
The last move is your choice.

Solo Giovanni, your rival's first and second non-starter poke every time (after you evolve), and Bruno. Have fun :D

Moveset:

Surf
Leer
Substitute
Will decide later.

Fly the Pidgey

Fly has heard that a Pidgey's true purpose in life is to transport its owner around the land, and it's a fate that it couldn't be more pleased with. As soon as possible, teach it Fly. At this point, it may evolve into a Pidgeotto. However, from then on, Fly wants only one thing in life: to use the move Fly. It refuses to use any other moves in battle. If it solos Blaine, however, it can finally evolve into a Pidgeot. At this stage, it realizes there's more to life than using Fly. It can finally use other moves when battling. Also, it refuses to fly you off of Cinnabar Island cuz it just doesn't feel like it, man.

First update, from Cerulean City:

My name is Sarel and my rival is called Murdoch. So far everything's been fine on the whole, apart from a few surprises about how weak unevolved pokémon are. It's been a while since I went through a game without evolving my pokémon at the earliest opportunity, so having Pidgey and Bulbasaur in Mount Moon rather than Pidgeotto and Ivysaur was a bit of an eye opener, especially considering I was having to switch them into almost every battle in order to get Magikarp and Jigglypuff the experience they need to be anything other than completely useless. Magikarp is currently level 16, but I've found two Rare Candies, so I'll probably use those when it hits level 18, as one of the rules is that I have to evolve it as quickly as possible. Jigglypuff is an odd one. If Sing works, it's incredibly valuable and can usually finish whatever I'm fighting off by itself, even though it only knows Pound as an attacking move. If Sing misses it gets KO'd really quickly.

Pidgey is my MVP so far, as through Mount Moon I only encountered about four Geodudes, one Paras and one Clefairy - the rest were all Zubat, who destroys Bulbasaur with Leech Life but only does 1 hit point of damage to Pidgey. Brock was piss easy; I did him in with two Vine Whips before proceeding.

I'm in Cerulean City now, wondering whether the rule about soloing my rivals first and second non-starter pokémon applies to Magikarp before it evolves. If it does I'm going to have to do some serious grinding in the patch of grass just west of the city before I can take him on. Hopefully Bulbasaur will be a high enough level by then to solo Misty and evolve into Ivysaur.

Team:

Bulbapedia the Bulbasaur

Level 20.

-Vine Whip
-Tackle
-Leech Seed
-Poisonpowder

Opera the Jigglypuff

Level 16

-Sing
-Pound
-Disable

Fly the Pidgey

Level 21

-Quick Attack
-Sand Attack
-Gust
-Whirlwind

Random the Magikarp

Level 16

-Splash
-Tackle

Just after S. S. Anne, on my way to Lavender Town. Fuck Surge.

When I last posted I was umming and ahhing about whether or not the rules stated that I had to solo my rival's first two pokémon with a Magikarp. The only definite workaround was to sit around grinding it up to evolution against level 6 Ekans and Rattatas. In the end I decided that as I was given Random the Gyarados and given rules around that, I didn't have to solo my rival's pokémon just yet. So I defeated him with Fly and Opera before heading up Nugget Bridge and on towards Cerulean Cape. By the end of that Magikarp was level 18, and I could use my two Rare Candies to evolve it into Gyarados: with that, I had one of my final team members! It still didn't have any of the moves from its final moveset though.

Bulbapedia, at level 22, didn't have any trouble with Misty, and soloed her with ease to evolve. Her moveset is actually pretty terrible in this game - I'd rarely been through RBY with Bulbasaur so was used to facing her with an Oddish. Absorb is a lot harder to beat her with that Vine Whip is.

On towards Vermilion City then! I got the bike and then beat all the really disappointing trainers on Route 11. They're not a patch on the trainers on Route 6 for some reason, despite being more varied. The electricians who use Magnemite are a piece of piss because Maggy doesn't have that Steel typing yet, so even Pidgey, Jigglypuff and Ivysaur can do pretty well against them.

The S. S. Anne required a lot of trips to the pokémon center, as I can never remember which trainers have which pokémon and there's actually quite a few of them. Due to only having four pokémon, and Opera and Fly gaining exp. very quickly, I was at the rival battle with Murdoch before long. Considering that his pokémon had been around the same level as mine last time we met I was mentally prepared for a tough battle, but Random swept with no trouble at all.

I've just received Cut from the captain, and I'm going to skip Lt. Surge for tactical reasons (ie. so Ponyta can evolve later on) and head straight to Lavender Town.

The team, in order of how useful they've been, from least to most:

Opera the Jigglypuff

Level 24

-Sing
-Pound
-Disable
-Doubleslap

It's actually pretty heartbreaking to put Opera last, because she's my favourite member of the team. It's a right pain in the arse having to use Sing if I'm switching her into something that'll only require a single Pound to finish off, or against something where sleeping it won't particularly benefit me. When Sing works it's excellent, but ideally I'd have some sort of stat up move to really capitalise. There's actually very little in most to least valuable so far, so there's hope for little Jiggly yet.

Random the Gyarados

Level 25

-Body Slam
-Bite
-Tackle
-Splash

The best member of the team in terms of stats, but it was a Magikarp for so long that it's not had a chance to do a lot yet. I decided to teach it Body Slam as it's an excellent move and gives me decent coverage later on when I have Surf as well. Depending on how things go I might switch it for Thunderbolt later. Not looking forward to carrying this thing through Pokémon Tower, where it's going to be totally useless. Actually Pokémon Tower is going to be really tough - all I've have that will hit ghosts are Fly's Wing Attack and Bulbapedia's Vine Whip.

Fly the Pidgey

Level 24

-Quick Attack
-Sand Attack
-Gust
-Whirlwind

Two useless moves, and two really handy ones. It's always worth putting a Sand Attack in against something that might be even slightly threatening, and my low Speed stat as a result of not evolving yet doesn't matter because of Quick Attack. Fly's swept a surprising number of trainers. Looking forward to Wing Attack.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 24

-Tackle
-Leech Seed
-Poisonpowder
-Vine Whip

Undoubtedly has to have the title of MVP as it's soloed both gym leaders so far, as well as laying waste to all of the hikers in Mount Moon and the sailors on the ship. My only complaint is Vine Whip's crap PP, but now that it's evolved it can take a nice number of hits and Leech Seed helps with that as well. It'll be ages before Bulbapedia evolves again (level 54), but I think I can cope with that for now.

I'm in Celadon City, but I haven't gone through the Game Corner or fought Erika yet.

After finishing up at the S. S. Anne it sailed away, leaving me to scurry off back to Cerulean City and then to Rock Tunnel, which is always far longer than I remember despite only having two levels. The main problem here was, once again, Vine Whip's PP. When Random learnt Dragon Rage things were a little better, but Fly and Opera were pretty much completely useless. I managed to use them whenever I could though, to prevent Random and Bulbapedia from levelling up too far ahead of the other two.

When I got to Lavender Town I took on Murdoch again, who has a really weird collection of pokémon in this battle. Kudos to him for getting his hands on an Exeggcute and a Gyarados that knows Hydro Pump. Random soloed his Pidgeotto and Exeggcute, then Opera and Fly finished off the others, to catch up with the rest of the team on level 29. Fly learnt Wing Attack and Opera learnt Rest, so both were likely to become immediately more valuable.

I made my way through to Celadon City, along Route 8, which has a wonderful number of easy trainers who give good amounts of experience, so that helped the team out as well. Upon arrival in Celadon City, I promptly sold almost everything of worth I had to avoid having to gamble too much in the Rocket Game Corner in order to afford the Substitute TM I have to teach Random. I'm still a good 3000 pokédollars off being able to afford it though, so that can wait a while. The Oddish that I'm rolling with cut me a route to the woman with the Fly HM, so I taught that to Fly, which can evolve after it next levels up. That does mean I'll be stuck only using Fly until I beat Blaine, but Fly really needs the higher stats at the moment, so it'll be worth it.

Team as things stand, from least valuable to most:

Opera the Jigglypuff

Level 30

-Sing
-Pound
-Disable
-Rest

The addition of Rest has definitely improved Opera's fortunes, but everything else apart from Bulbapedia has got substantially better as well, so she stays bottom of the pile for now. Rest, along with my Full Heals, means that I can afford to take all the hits. Pound as her only attacking move is definitely what's holding her back, but it's only four levels until Body Slam, and then I can make some decisions about whether I want Double-Edge over Disable or not.

Fly the Pidgey

Level 29

-Quick Attack
-Sand Attack
-Wing Attack
-Fly

Fly's movepool has improved, but it hasn't done anything for me since the S. S. Anne really, apart from KO the few things that didn't wall it when going through Rock Tunnel, a job that any of the other team members were capable of anyway. Because of that, it drops down behind Random in terms of how valuable it's become. It's going to evolve into Pidgeotto next level though, and that should help.

Random the Gyarados

Level 30

-Body Slam
-Bite
-Tackle
-Dragon Rage

Not quite MVP yet, but it'll be there soon. Dragon Rage helped when Bulbapedia's Vine Whip ran out of PP passing through Rock Tunnel, and Random was once again brilliant against my rival in Pokémon Tower. Generally, if an opponent isn't really fast and packing an Electric move, Random will destroy them. Body Slam is such a good move in Generation 1.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 30

-Tackle
-Leech Seed
-Poisonpowder
-Razor Leaf

Hasn't changed much since the last update, as it's only just learnt Razor Leaf. It was good at defeating Onix in Rock Tunnel, and got rid of some Geodude as well. I can't see it being much use when beating Rockets in the Game Corner or defeating Erika, so it may well lose its place on the pedestal come the next update.

In Saffron City, just about to walk into the Silph Building.

So I'm hanging around in the Game Corner when I see a shady looking man guarding a poster. You know the rest. I enter the basement after beating him and sweep my way through the place without much hassle, stopping to collect all the items, as quite a few of the things you can pick up in here have a high sell-on value. The Rockets here are really lame apart from the odd annoying Golbat. Generally Fly deals with them and evolves, meaning it can now only use Fly.

When I get to Giovanni I have to solo him with Random which is easy enough considering that it has Dragon Rage and his Onix and Rhyhorn are ridiculously weak. Dragon Rage + Body Slam FTW. I get the Silph Scope and head to the dept. store to sell all the lovely stuff I got. By now I'm on around 5200/7700 coins required for the TM50 I'm required to teach Random.

After this I make my way to the Celadon City gym, where Opera absolutely excels. To be fair, this gym would have been really easy for any of my pokémon, especially Fly but Opera was a few levels behind and could heal itself of status and recover HP with Rest, so it was quite a nice option to have. By the time I got to Erika, Opera was out of PP in Sing and Rest, so I switched to Fly who dealt with Erika in five hits. Three badges!

After Celadon my journey took me back to Lavender Town where lots of elderly women had been possessed by Gastlys and the occasional Haunter. Bulbapedia battled heroically through, defeating them with not-very-effective Razor Leafs and the odd Leech Seed. It was tough going, as whenever I had to use Random a combination of paralysis and confusion made progress a lot slower. Opera couldn't hit anything and Fly was my highest levelled pokémon so I was hesitant to overuse it. Eventually we made our way past Marowak, and Opera cleared all of the Rockets on the top floor.

After obtaining the Pokéflute, which is going to make Opera even more immense, I sold the rest of my stuff, bringing me up to 7710 coins - just enough for Substitute. I leave you just in front of the doors of the Silph Company, ready to go in and bring down Team Rocket.

The team, (now not ranked in order, as they're pretty much exactly equal <3):

Opera the Jigglypuff

Level 34

-Sing
-Pound
-Body Slam
-Rest

With Rest and Body Slam, Opera is a solid member of the team again. She swept everyone apart from Erika in the Celadon gym and beat all the Rockets at the top floor of Pokémon Tower. When she reaches level 39 and learns Double-Edge over Pound, she'll evolve and be even better still. Whether that'll continue to the pokémon league remains to be seen, but I'm really looking forward to single-turn Rests thanks to Pokéflute.

Fly the Pidgeotto

Level 34

-Quick Attack
-Sand Attack
-Wing Attack
-Fly

I haven't used it enough to tell whether only being able to use Fly is a bad thing so far. It soloed Erika and was valuable when I had to resort to it in Pokémon Tower. Sadly I can't use Fly outside of battle as I skipped Surge's gym, so at some point between here and Cinnabar Island Fly is going to get really annoying. Not yet though.

Random the Gyarados

Level 33

-Body Slam
-Leer
-Substitute
-Dragon Rage

Maybe would have taken the title of MVP if Dragon Rage wasn't such an annoying attack to use against things that inflict status. Gastly and Haunter nearly always use Confuse Ray straight away, then start using Lick and that meant I had to return to the purified protected zone in Pokémon Tower more often than I would have liked. Having Substitute and Leer in-game in Gen 1 feels a bit pointless. I can't imagine a circumstance in which Subs is going to be helpful, but when I get access to Surf (not long - I could go and get it now if I wanted, actually...) I think Gyarados will shine.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 33

-Tackle
-Leech Seed
-Poisonpowder
-Razor Leaf

Getting a little annoying now, as Grass + Normal aren't great together as attacking moves. They're what I'm going to be stuck with for the rest of the game though, I think, so I'll have to deal with it. I suspect Bulbapedia could go from being my MVP in the first half of the game to my LVP by the time I get to the E4. Time will tell.

Another update, this time from Saffron City having beaten Sabrina, and travelled most of the continent.

I was going to further my journey by taking on Silph right away but I decided that it'd probably be better off for me to go to Fuchsia City and get the Surf HM amongst other things. So I left Saffron for Cycling Road. Random beat Snorlax with few Body Slams, and then Fly and Opera cleaned up on Cycling Road itself.

It was one of my quickest ever journeys through the Safari Zone, as apart from stopping to pick up the more valuable items, there wasn't actually anything in there I needed. Random learnt Surf as soon as I got it to complete its moveset.

After that Bulbapedia did most of the work on our way back round the other end of the continent despite the type disadvantage - Razor Leaf's critical hit ratio actually makes it a pretty decent move even against Flying, Fire and Poison types. On the way Opera learned Double-Edge and I was able to use my Moon Stone to evolve it into Wigglytuff. We added a Krabby to the team over Oddish as something capable of learning Strength and Cut.

Sold loads of shit again to make my way to 2260 coins, and then realising that if I kept buying I'd end up on 5510/5500 necessary for Hyper Beam I did some actually gambling, but lost the 10 surplus coins just like that. Does anyone ever actually use the slot machines in RBY, rather than just paying for coins? I know that 13200 coins costs a hell of a lot (264,000 pokedollars) but it's so much less hassle.

In Silph Co. there really weren't any major challenges, as my pokémon were all early 40s by then in terms of level. Occasionally a Golbat would confuse something which is always annoying but generally speaking I was OHKOing things or seeing them off with Opera.

Random soloed my rival as well as Giovanni, both very very easily. Fly soloed the entire Fighting Dojo after I was done at Silph Co., and Opera and Random did most of the work in Sabrina's gym. I think Random ended up soloing her actually, so massive props to him at the moment. Absolutely unstoppable.

After that I spent the rest of my money back at the Game Corner to get TM15 for Bulbapedia when it evolves again, and that's where I leave you. Next stop Koga.

The team in order of value:

Fly the Pidgeotto

Level 44

-Quick Attack
-Agility
-Wing Attack
-Fly

Only being able to use Fly is getting annoying. Just means battles take twice as long, especially when it misses. I'm not missing out on any coverage by not being able to use other moves, apart from being able to hit Electric-types for neutral damage, but I generally switch to Bulbapedia for them anyway. Looking forward to evolution but not massively, as I don't think it'll give me anything particularly spectacular.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 44

-Razor Leaf
-Growth
-Leech Seed
-Tackle

The fact that I'm still using Tackle says it all. Luckily I get Sleep Powder in two levels, but even that won't actually help all that much. Razor Leaf is better than Tackle even against things that resists it, and Leech Seed just isn't that amazing in this generation. When Bulbapedia has a type advantage it's great, but I've really not seen any water, rock or ground types for a while (partly because Random has to solo Giovanni each time). Will the addition of Sleep Powder, Solar Beam and Hyper Beam make Bulbapedia better or worse? I'm tempted to swing for the latter, as it'll just be so slow.

Opera the Wigglytuff

Level 43

-Sing
-Body Slam
-Double-Edge
-Rest

This is actually quite the powerhouse now. Being able to rest off most damage, including recoil damage, and wake up the next turn thanks to Pokéflute is wonderful. Sing seems to be becoming more valuable in conjunction with Rest as it often means I don't take a single hit after going to sleep. Obvs useless against Ghosts, but seeing as Forgetful is going to be soloing Agatha later in the game, I'll never find Opera up against one. Surprisingly bulky thanks to her massive HP, but I keep assuming her Special is better than it is. (45!!!)

Random the Gyarados

Level 44

-Surf
-Body Slam
-Leer
-Substitute

I've only used Leer once, and never used Substitute, but BS + Surf give me good enough coverage, and his stats are so brilliant comparative to AI pokémon that it just smashes through everything.

Beaten Koga and Lt. Surge, now doing some grinding before taking on Blaine.

With nothing else to do on the main continent aside from take on Koga, I headed to Fuchsia City to do just that. The gym trainers themselves were harder than I remembered them and Koga, bizarrely, a lot easier. I think it's because of the Kadabras and Hypnos that they have that he doesn't have. There's just nothing scary about a gym leader who's using Smog against you. Opera didn't even have the mighty Smog to fear, as it put everything to sleep with Sing before double-edging them to death. Another badge and another wonderful wonderful performance by Opera who I like more and more after every battle.

On my way to the Seafoam Islands, some amount of my love for Bulbapedia was restored as it beat every trainer on the way with Razor Leaf. It does say a lot that it can't really do enough against things that resist it or that it isn't weak against though. I tried using it in Koga's gym every now and then, but it was either facing poison types that it couldn't really damage or taking 40%+ of its HP when Drowzee or Kadabra used Confusion on it. However, on the way to Seafoam, it rocked. Everything went down in one hit and nothing landed a hit. It was gorgeous.

In the Seafoam Islands we met Forgetful the Slowpoke - the fifth member of the team! It was such a long time since we'd met anyone to become a permanent member of the team that I almost forgot to go and get it out of the PC when I got to Cinnabar Island, going into the Pokémon House without it on the first visit. I didn't do a lot else in Seafoam tbh, as I was out of PP on Razor Leaf before then and couldn't be arsed catching Articuno.

When I did finally get to Cinnabar, after Fly used Fly on every pokémon inbetween, the first thing to do was to catch a Ponyta. This actually proved quite hard, as Forgetful did just under 40% with Psychic but lowered its Special, meaning I was KOing it the next go. In the end I put one to sleep with Opera and then used Tackle a couple of times with Bulbapedia - still a worthwhile attack after all! After catching it, we called it Disco Feet. It was nice to have a full team of six after all this time. :D

The first step of Disco Feet's journey was going to be to solo Lt. Surge - something I assumed would be easy as it was overlevelled at level 32. This wasn't the case though, as its moveset is pretty poor. It only knows Ember, Tail Whip and Stomp at that point, and that just narrowly avoids a OHKO on his Pikachu, who managed to paralyse me with Thundershock, making his Raichu a lot more challenging! It used Thunderbolt twice as I Stomped my way to victory, leaving me with a 1HP paralysed Ponyta! Still, I got the full solo, so Disco Feet will be allowed to evolve when it finally gets to level 40. I'm also finally able to fly outside of battle with the acquisition of the Thunder Badge.

Back to Pokémon House, to do some all important grinding before Blaine, and before I take him on I leave you with the following team, once again in order of least to most valuable:

Disco Feet the Ponyta

Level 36

-Ember
-Tail Whip
-Stomp
-Growl

This is going to be the least valuable pokémon throughout the entire scramble. Crap movepool which I'm not allowed to improve with TMs, caught it late on, it having to solo Surge to evolve meant I couldn't fly outside of battle until this late point, and I'm going to have to solo a couple of E4 pokémon with it, that don't belong to Agatha, Bruno. Hopefully I can use it against Exeggutor, but even that'll be a pain with only Ember or Fire Spin as supereffective attacks.

Forgetful the Slowbro

Level 40

-Surf
-Psychic
-Amnesia
-Blizzard

So I'm really looking forward to finding out how annoying to use this is now it has Amnesia. It's only just learnt it and evolved, so I've given it three Special moves to sweep with in the hope that with boosts, forgetting one of them for the duration of five battles won't make much difference. I'm going to have to use it very very carefully during the E4 though, as I don't want it forgetting all its moves by the time I come to Lance, who I want to be able to use Blizzard against! Need to spend more time with Forgetful for it to advance up my most valuable list, but I think it'll end up in the top three if it isn't too annoying.

Fly the Pidgeotto

Level 44

-Quick Attack
-Agility
-Wing Attack
-Fly

About to solo Blaine with this. Not that nervous, I don't think he'll be able to beat me, but I'm just tired of how one dimensional it is. Come on evolution.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 46

-Razor Leaf
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Tackle

The only reason Bulbapedia didn't slip below Fly was that it soloed almost every single pokémon on either side of Seafoam Islands and contributed to catching both Forgetful and Disco Feet. I've picked up the Solar Beam TM and I'm toying with the idea of teaching it to Bulbapedia so that it can evolve earlier than level 54. Of course then I'd have to learn Hyper Beam, and set my battle style to Set, which would be annoying at the moment as I'm going to have to be switching Disco Feet out quite a lot as I level it up. Maybe when Disco Feet catches up I'll evolve it.

Opera the Wigglytuff

Level 47

-Sing
-Body Slam
-Double-Edge
-Rest

Still awesome. Can seem to take on literally anything apart from Fighting types. Not a lot to say that I haven't already said before, and I think it might even be a powerhouse in the E4 now.

Random the Gyarados

Level 46

-Surf
-Body Slam
-Leer
-Substitute

Also still awesome and pretty much untouchable.

Another update seeing as all I'm going to be doing before the E4 is all the grinding.

So I believe I was about to tackle Blaine before signing off last time. I decided to put that off a little bit as grinded some more, to get Disco Feet and Forgetful up a little more. Grind grind grind. There is literally no way to make this more interesting - it's boring enough playing it. When Disco Feet eventually hit level 39 it learnt Fire Spin, which is actually good in this generation, especially what with the Ponyta line's speed. I got bored of this soon enough and decided to grind the two up in Blaine's gym instead.

Generally speaking Disco Feet could manage fine, as anything it faced either used Roar or Ember against it. Stomp here and there, and a very occasional switch to Forgetful to Surf something to death.

When I made it to Blaine, the battle was even easier than I imagined it would be. Fly could only use Fly, but the laughable AI made it a piece of piss for me - Blaine seems programmed to use Super Potion if he predicts damage coming, meaning he was using it when his pokémon had taken no damage as I flew into the air. Critical hit on Rapidash, and his Arcanine used Roar against me, meaning I actually soloed him without taking a single hit. I think he only attacked me once. Absolutely ridiculous gym. In the course of this battle Fly levelled up and evolved afterwards. Phew, I can use... Wing Attack, Quick Attack and Agility now. Yay.

Straight to Viridian City after this. Giovanni's gym was pretty simple as well, thanks to Forgetful's Psychic and Surf. Not a lot could do any damage to it as they all use physical moves and despite not boosting Special with Amnesia just yet (I'm scared!) my attacks did enough damage to get at least a 2HKO on everything. When I got to Giovanni I had to use Random again. This would seriously be a lot worse if I didn't go into every battle with Giovanni knowing I had a type advantage and that his strongest moves didn't affect me. If I'd got unlucky on the Surf vs Strength dice roll earlier, these battles would be a lot tougher, I guess. I swept him easily, only Nidoking and Nidoqueen even surviving a single hit. Go Random.

Then for the long slog through Victory Road. On the way I met my rival again, who at long last had a team that looked slightly intimidating. He really needs to evolve his Exeggcute though. Random beat Pidgeot and Rhyhorn, and a combination of Disco Feet and Forgetful finished off the others. Especially impressive was Forgetful soloing his Charizard considering I was 11 levels lower.

I put Opera in the box to withdraw my Strength user, and made it through Victory Road without much trouble. Forgetful, Bulbapedia and Random did most of the work. Ignored Moltres. Disco Feet evolved after learning Take Down.

After I've ground the team up to around level 60 I'll take on the E4 and give proper commentary on every battle. Here's the party as things stand:

Disco Feet the Rapidash

Level 45

-Ember
-Take Down
-Stomp
-Fire Spin

Actually not as useless as I thought it'd be. Stomp and Take Down deal decent amounts of damage and Fire Spin is quite good despite missing more than I'd like it to. I should be able to solo two E4 pokémon plus Exeggutor, it's just a case of working out which, seeing as they can't belong to Agatha or Bruno. I don't much fancy trying to take on Lorelei or Lance with Disco Feet! HMM.

Fly the Pidgeot

Level 48

-Fly
-Wing Attack
-Agility
-Quick Attack

Did a good job against Blaine, but he was the least challenging seventh gym leader I've ever faced. I always forget just how terrible he is. Now that I have access to other moves I see how little I'm going to use them as Fly is generally fast enough not to need Quick Attack. Wing Attack is inferior to Fly as the AI is so fucking poor.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 48

-Razor Leaf
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Tackle

Sort of handy towards the end of Victory Road when Forgetful was running low on PP but nothing special. Meh.

Forgetful the Slowbro

Level 45

-Surf
-Psychic
-Amnesia
-Blizzard

Considering that I still haven't had to use Amnesia, and that I don't plan to use it in the E4 until Agatha, I won't really find out how damaging the Amnesia-dice-roll rule is unless I lose Psychic and get confused on the same turn or something awful like that. I guess I'd prefer to lose Surf, as I'd kind of like to retain Blizzard for Lance, but it won't be the end of the world, as he's beatable with a variety of strategies. So far Forgetful has been fantastic. The only thing letting it down is its speed.

Opera the Wigglytuff

Level 47

-Sing
-Body Slam
-Double-Edge
-Rest

Haven't actually used it since the last update as it was boxed so that I could use Strength in Victory Road. It'll be the hardest pokémon to grind up seeing as I have a choice between using it in Victory Road against Rock or Fighting pokémon or returning somewhere where the pokémon aren't of those types but are lower levels, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

Random the Gyarados

Level 49

-Surf
-Body Slam
-Leer
-Substitute

Blah blah blah awesome. Soloed Giovanni for the third time and dealth with my rival in no time at all.

It's the final part of my Scramble! (I won't be bothering with Mewtwo afterwards.)

I'm at Indigo Plateau, after hours in Victory Road grinding my pokémon up and up. Eventually, when they all hit level 62, I decide I've had enough and take them back to the League to challenge the Elite Four. Here is that story:

versus Lorelei

<--lolwtfisthat

The battle begins. I send out Bulbapedia and Lorelei sends out her Dewgong. This shouldn't be a problem. As I command Bulbapedia to draw in power from the sun, Lorelei asks her Dewgong to use... Rest. At full HP. Either bad prediction or she's thick as two short planks. This has no effect and seconds later Dewgong takes a Solar Beam to the face. First strike, Sarel.

Lorelei's next choice is Cloyster. Despite the probable Aurora Beam (unless of course, she does something really moronic again), I stay in, and Bulba readies another Solar Beam attack. As I thought, Cloyster uses Aurora Beam, but it only does about 25% despite being a critical hit. Solar Beam immediately defeats Cloyster! 2-0.

Next out for the Elite Four member is Slowbro. I'm a little hesitant about beaming it straight away, so Bulbapedia uses Sleep Powder, actually for the very first time since learning it as an Ivysaur all that time ago. It misses, and Slowbro is instantly four times as intimidating, using Amnesia to boost its stats four ways. This could be tough. Another Sleep Powder hits, and I have a chance to assess the situation. Staying in with Bulbapedia would be really stupid if Slowbro had a decent moveset, but Lorelei, despite being the best of her calibre in the entirety of Kanto, has only given Slowbro Water Gun as an attacking move, seemingly passing up the opportunity to teach it Psychic. I remain in, and get ready for another Solar Beam. A critical hit ignores Slowbro's defensive boost and it's another OHKO. Cruising.

Lorelei's next choice is Jynx, and I sense the chance for Disco Feet to get its first solo of the Elite Four. As it switches in, Jynx opts for the mighty Doubleslap. Fearsome. I respond with Fire Spin, which misses, as is its wont. Jynx's next attack is a little better, a critical hit Thrash, but even that fails to dent Disco Feet too badly, and two Fire Spins and an Ember (this pokémon's moves are rly weak ¬_¬) Jynx is also out of the running.

That leaves only Lapras. Before I fought Lorelei, I sort of planned that one risky tactic I'd use against her would be to try and get Disco Feet's second solo against whatever she sent out after Jynx. I flinch Lapras with Stomp, and then try to do the same again, but fail and it KOs Disco Feet with Hydro Pump. There's a Revive for that, but I guess it won't count as a solo, so I switch in Opera to finish the job. Naturally, Sing misses and I take a Blizzard to the face. Body Slam KOs the next turn though.

Lorelei is vanquished! I heal the sores and injuries my pokémon have taken as well as resuscitating Disco Feet and move on to Bruno, who must be soloed by Random. That's barely even a challenge. After the battle Lorelei tells me that I ''only got a taste of pokémon league power''. I can only assume she's joking or having an acid flashback.

versus Bruno

Bruno is a joke all over Kanto, and popular opinion has it that the Elite Four selection committee is made up entirely of pickled cauliflowers. Bruno packs two Onix, and it's his first one that Random defeats first, with a Surf attack.

Next is his Hitmonchan, also absolutely fucking terrible, which perishes to Body Slam. Easy.

Then he sends out Hitmonchan's nearest relative, Hitmonlee, who survives a Body Slam by the skin of his teeth, promptly misses with Mega Kick, and goes down to a second Body Slam.

Rather than send out his only semi-decent pokémon, he goes with his next Onix. A peace offering, perhaps? No chance, I'll use Surf again and TELL YOU TO GET SOME BETTER FUCKING POKEMON. What's wrong with Primeape or Poliwrath?! 4-0, easiest solo ever so far.

Next is Machamp. This is where it would have got slightly interesting, were it not for the fact that after my first Surf did +50%, this example of Kanto's talent commanded his most fearsome warrior to use Leer against me. The mind boggles. Surf again, and that's him down. I literally did not lose a single hit point, and only had to attack 7 times. Bruno is just a complete non-entity of a trainer. After beating him, he asks, "Why? How could I lose?" By using two Onix in a Fighting team meant to be the best the region has to offer. Simple as that. Next is Agatha, who must be soloed by Forgetful. A lot rests on my dice roll here.

versus Agatha

Agatha spews some bile about Professor Oak before we face off, which is pretty irrelevant on the face of things. If she's asked to investigate my pokédex she'd have noticed that I'd completely ignored his request to catch as many species as possible. Anyway, her first pokémon is Gengar. This is definitely where it gets interesting. My first move is to use Amnesia, in the knowledge that this will cause Forgetful to forget one of its other moves... but which one? Surf! Wahey! I can't use Surf for the rest of the Pokémon League, but this frees me up to use Psychic against all of Agatha's pokémon. She, inexplicably, uses Dream Eater before even attempting to put Forgetful to sleep. On her next turn she orders Gengar to use Hypnosis, clearly realising the error of her last move, but it misses, and Psychic gets a OHKO.

Her next pokémon is Golbat, which could deal out some serious hax. Supersonic (really????!!! When you have Confuse Ray as an option?) misses, and Psychic sends Golbat packing.

Not content with a crap Gengar, Agatha plumps for Haunter. Surely she could organise a tradeback with another member of the E4? Perhaps not. Hypnosis misses again, not that it makes much difference when I have pokéflute, and Psychic is another simple kill.

Her next choice is Arbok, that world famous Ghost type. It lowers my Defence with Screech before falling to Psychic. This would be awful if her next pokémon had any physical moves that weren't Night Shade. (Her final Gengar has Dream Eater, but no way to put me to sleep. Smooth.)

This is that very Gengar, which goes for the only sensible tactic - Confuse Ray. But that misses, and Psychic hits and it's GG Agatha. Another part of the Scramble Challange complete.

versus Lance

I know that I have to solo one of his pokémon with Disco Feet but it sure as hell ain't going to be Gyarados. I stick Fly out for the hell of it. First I use Fly, as he uses Hyper Beam and misses. Upon hitting and returning to earth, I try and Mirror Move his Hyper Beam, but miss, and as he recharges I Fly up again. Soon as that Fly hits he uses Hyper Potion. Finally a trainer with some sense of timing. It's downhill from there for Lance though, as he sits about using Leer as Fly uses Fly until Gyarados is no more.

Next up is Dragonair. Might as well try and see if Disco Feet can handle it. On the switch he uses Dragon Rage on me, to take me to 140/180 HP. Fire Spin misses, which was a misclick anyway, and he uses DR again. Then I Stomp him to death as he uses Agility three times, seemingly completely giving up. Now all Disco Feet needs to do is beat Exeggutor.

Lance's next choice is his other Dragonair, so I might as well stay in and repeat the procedure. It's almost exactly the same. After my first Stomp he uses Agility, perhaps to outspeed the chance of a flinch. Then he uses it again, as I Stomp him down to 10% or so of his HP. His Hyper Beam is a little surprising, but it only does 60HP of damage. (And is therefore actually a worse move than Dragon Rage, which would do 80HP over the two turns it takes to use Hyper Beam, lol.) Stomp then defeats that Dragonair too.

I'm definitely switching out against Aerodactyl though, to Random, who takes a critical hit Bite like it's nothing. It is nothing, of course. He outspeeds me with a really weak Take Down, and then is KO'd by Surf.

Lance's last pokémon is his powerhouse: Dragonite. I've been preparing Forgetful for this since day one. On the switch I take a Hyper Beam with pleasure, only around 30% of my HP, and as he recharges hit back with Blizzard. Or I would, but I misclick again and go with Psychic. He uses Slam, I miss with Blizzard, he uses Slam again and I KO with Blizzard. Gotta love Forgetful's bulk. <3

That's the E4 done then, and now I've got to put up with some spiel about me being the most powerful trainer bar one. Rupert Murdoch. I have to go and face him, despite having trounced him in every previous encounter.

versus Murdoch

I have to listen to him bang on awkwardly about how he's the greatest trainer in Kanto. I guess he's right on a technicality, but we both know that I'm going to beat him with ease. I have to use Random against his first two pokémon, and so the first battle is Random against Pidgeot. Body Slam, Mirror Move, Body Slam, and that's the end of that chapter.

Having seen me use a strong physical attack, Murdoch's next pokémon is Alakazam. This actually very nearly pays off, as a critical hit Psychic takes me down to a sliver of my hit points. But Body Slam paralyses, and allows me to attack first on the next turn, gaining Random its second solo, and it's own personal Scramble challange is complete.

Rhydon is next. Surf.

Then we have the moment we've all been waiting for: Disco Feet gets to take on Exeggutor! On the switch I fall asleep to Hypnosis, and use Pokéflute to wake up as Exeggutor uses Stomp. I really love Fire Spin in Gen 1, especially when it a) hits and b) is a critical hit, as then every consecutive hit is critical. Five consecutive critical hits, Eggy's dead, and Disco Feet reigns victorious, before getting the fuck out of there against Gyarados.

I want Opera to shine, so switch it in to Gyarados' Leer. It Leers again as I put it to sleep. Opera then heroically hurls herself against the dragon snake thing with Double-Edge twice to vanquish it.

Finally I face Charizard. Might as well see if Opera can handle it. It uses Fire Spin and we sit around twiddling thumbs for a while. After that ordeal is done with, Charizard uses Rage and Opera puts it to sleep. More heroic hurling and Charizard is out for the count.

Boom! We've beaten the pokémon league! Here's the team that did it:

Fly the Pidgeot

Level 62

-Fly
-Wing Attack
-Agility
-Quick Attack

So pretty much pointless in the end. I used it once in the pokémon league and apart from a few moments earlier in the adventure it really didn't achieve much for me and certainly not anything that any other member of the team couldn't have. LVP.

Disco Feet the Rapidash

Level 62

-Ember
-Take Down
-Stomp
-Fire Spin

Surprised that this wasn't my LVP, but then I'd forgotten how good Gen 1 Fire Spin is. Now I can see why that move was always awesome in the anime. Did its job fairly easily when it needed to, but nothing more.

Opera the Wigglytuff

Level 62

-Sing
-Body Slam
-Double-Edge
-Rest

Its hurts me to relegate Opera to 4th, but this is where the competition gets serious and where her lack of niche really hurts her. She was great at battling when she needed to but it was so often a lot easier to use something with super-effective moves. The thing that really annoyed me was how hard it was to grind in Victory Road. It's so close between Opera and Bulbapedia, really is.

Bulbapedia the Venusaur

Level 62

-Solar Beam
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Hyper Beam

Really useful against Lorelei, who might have been trickier without super-effective moves. I'm not sure how true that is so there's no way I'm moving it above third, but I'm also going to take into account how easy it made the first part of the challange. Beating Brock and Misty without breaking a sweat was handy, because Fly stood no chance as a Pidgey. Then it was handy again in Rock Tunnel, on my way to Cinnabar Island and in Victory Road. These are the things that set it just above Opera. Also, I never used Hyper Beam, so I could have left my battle style on Switch.

Forgetful the Slowbro

Level 62

-Surf
-Psychic
-Amnesia
-Blizzard

Absolutely beastly against Agatha and Dragonite. And also whenever else I had to use it. Can't be top because I only had it for the final quarter of the challange, but everything it did it did solidly and it was useful in literally every situation it faced. It could probably also have done Random's job against Giovanni and Bruno without even having to use Amnesia.

Random the Gyarados

Level 63

-Surf
-Body Slam
-Leer
-Substitute

The star of the show. Battered everyone it faced. Giovanni was appalling in comparison and I reckon that given some PP Maxes it would have made short work of the entire E4 by itself.

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed towards my Scramble! I look forward to the next! :D :D

Oh present where's your stance on varying BP moves for Nurture

Edit: Oh and Sprocket could you give me something slightly easier to solo

@Level 51
Ok with Growl, does that mean I simply count it as a set up move, or is it a placeholder? And you're totally incorrect about Focus Energy; in Generations 2 and 3 it only raises the critical hit ratio by 1 stage, which raises the chance of a crit from 6.25% to 12.5% (doubling). However I'll accept the critical hit after focus energy thing before evolving as long as it applies to ALL opponents, not just Numel. I'll add it to my accepted Pokemon, but I'd like to confirm that we're on the same page before we start.

@shinyskarmory
Yup that addresses everything then. I'll edit in the changes.

@Wobbanaut
Great, so I have to use a fly slave again -.- well I'm presuming that Wing Attack is allowed then? Actually you should provide a list of allowed moves (List of moves here), just to make it simple for me. I accept in any case.

That's all my Pokemon then, just have to get a bit of clarification and I'm ready to go!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Done. Check my challenge.
I'm going to start my Red version again, so I think I'll do a scramble rather than a Nuzlocke for a change! I can trade. Reasonably hard please. I don't mind not using my starting pokemon, but have a slight preference for Charmander if you'd like me to use one! Cheers m'dears.
Jangrafess, your starter is Bulbapedia the Bulbasaur. *major edit* Bulbapedia revels in its awesomeness. It must solo Misty as a Bulbasaur to evolve to Ivysaur. It must learn the move Solar Beam to evolve to Venusaur. As a Venusaur, it must know and keep Solar Beam and Hyper Beam as two of its moves at all times, and it cannot use Hyper Beam in battle unless your battle style is set to "Set". Good luck!

Ok Jimera0 heres a list of usable moves you can use
List of usable moves that Tailow can learn in RSE:
Quick Attack
Wing Attack
Double Team
Agility
Steel Wing
Thief (You gotta be fast to steal stuff)
Swift

And thanks Sprocket that looks fine

Oh present where's your stance on varying BP moves for Nurture

If you're talking about roll out, you can use it no problem. (count it as 60 BP) If you decide to use defence curl with it, apply a x2 modifier upon use. As to things like steam roller and venoshock, if the situation arises that they would be double their base power (like steam roller agaist minimize and venoshock against a poisoned opponent), they be treated as having doubled BP. Same thing for facade and payback in their respective situations. Gyro ball is a special case, and is counted as 80 BP (just like the game counts it for things like forewarn). If I missed any, ask away.

edit: Jangrafess, take Opera the Jigglypuff.

This Jigglypuff is a great singer, and must put all its opponents to sleep with Sing first.
Furthermore, this Jigglypuff is proud of itself, so it will only use level up moves. (Not that it is really worth any tm's)

GL

Jangrafess, your starter is Bulbapedia the Bulbasaur. Bulbapedia can only know a single Grass-type attack at all times, and you must teach it Sludge Bomb as soon as you receive the TM. As a Venusaur its moveset must include your choice of Solar Beam, Hyper Beam, or Return. It must solo Misty without using a Grass-type attack. Good luck!
I'm playing Red, not FireRed, so Venusaur can't learn Sludge Bomb via TM! And Return isn't a move. Would you like to change the scenario, or shall I use your rules, but ignore the bits that can't be done in Gen 1? Cheers! edit: Just realised that in Gen 1 the only one Grass-attack move rule is really restrictive. I'd have to use Poisonpowder, one of a small pool of Grass moves, and then either Reflect or Rest along with a small number of viable Normal moves. Happy to do that if that's definitely what you were proposing though. :)

Present said:
edit: Jangrafess, take Opera the Jigglypuff.

Furthermore, this Jigglypuff is proud of itself, so it will only use level up moves. (Not that it is really worth any tm's)

GL
Okay! That's the first pokémon that's definitely on the team then. Can I evolve it if I choose to?

Level 51

@Level 51
Ok with Growl, does that mean I simply count it as a set up move, or is it a placeholder? And you're totally incorrect about Focus Energy; in Generations 2 and 3 it only raises the critical hit ratio by 1 stage, which raises the chance of a crit from 6.25% to 12.5% (doubling). However I'll accept the critical hit after focus energy thing before evolving as long as it applies to ALL opponents, not just Numel. I'll add it to my accepted Pokemon, but I'd like to confirm that we're on the same page before we start.
(1) Yeah, Growl is a set-up move, not just a placeholder.
(2) Yup, crit on ANY 5 opponents. :>

tyvm ^.^

Hard Emerald Scramble: Video edition

Alright, this is going to be my base post for my Emerald Scramble. I will be playing with Set style for a little extra challenge. Unlike usual, all my updates will be on my Youtube Channel. I'll post links to the individual episodes and make announcements on this thread too, but for the quickest response you can just Suscribe to it. I plan on only putting out one update a week though (there's going to be a LOT of editing going into this.) While you wait, you can check on my other Let's Plays if you want.

Update! I have decided to stop uploading video updates since the amount of work that went into them was turning me off of doing the scramble at all. Instead, from part 7 onwards, all the updates will be short written ones. Sorry to those of you who liked the video updates, but it took a lot of willpower for me to sit down to 3-4 hours of editing at the end of each part... willpower I've pretty much run out of. Better I get SOMETHING out rather than nothing at all.
UPDATE: THE RETURN!
Ok I've decided that from now on I'm going to do updates using hangouts on the OI community G+ page. Sign up and join in if you want to participate! I'll be announcing when I'm going to start playing in the Orange Islands IRC channel, so if you want to participate you should start hanging out there! I'll also (hopefully) be recording these sessions and posting them on youtube for those who miss it. These recordings will be unedited though, so don't expect them to be in the same style as my earlier video updates!

Anyway, here's a list of my Pokemon for this round!

@Jimera Take Broken the Spoink. Broken was just learning how to hop (walk) when Mt. Chimney erupted. She was trying to hop away with her parents, and her dad just left, because he cared more about himself then Broken. Broken's mom died trying to save her. Broken got away against all odds, but she fell a few times, and broke the pearl on her head. This makes Broken unable to use psychic moves twice in a row. Broken also hates her dad, so she must solo any male psychic type pokemon. Broken will never fight a female psychic type. If she doesn't fight a male/does fight a female, she will go into a rampage. She will not listen and use a random move every turn for the next 3 battles she participates in (Just pick a random move; honor system). Broken must also be in battle the entire time against Liza and Tate (but remember; solo Tate's pokemon, leave Liza's unharmed) I said this before checking; 3 mons are genderless and Xatu is a male, so solo Xatu and battle whoever else you want.

To sum it up:
- can't use psychic type twice in a row
- always battle male/never battle female psychic types
- if above rule is broken, random move rampage for it's next 3 battles
- be in battle the whole time against Liza and Tate

Good luck! If this is too hard/easy or you don't like some part, just tell me. I can change it.

Yeah I totally copy/pasted from a challange I wrote a few months ago. I like the challange, though :).

Ok, Jimera, you get NotAgain the Sableye. Now, Jimera, look carefully at the name, and I mean VERY carefully. What does this name mean to you? Does it instill fear? Does it instill nostalgia? Perhaps even sadness or happiness? Well, whatever emotion is brought to you is unknowm to me, but I shall assume fear.

Would you like to know who has come back to haunt you, Jim? Do you want to face the fear of the unknown? The uncertanity in life? Is that a chill I sense going down your spine? I hope so, because a shiver of evil is going down mine.

If you have not figured it out by now, I'll tell you what has come back to haunt you for the rest of your days.........

Metronome has returned to take you down a peg or two. You know what things are involved when this special move enters the picture, but I'll list them for convience anyway:
1). Learn Metronome ASAP
2). Max out Metronome's PP
3). Use Metronome first upon entrance in battle.

Now, you want a rather difficult chalange, so you can't catch Sableye until after you've beaten Brawley. With Sableye under your control, it'll be a clean sweep, and I can't allow that.

Now, after capture, NotAgain will have to solo your Rival at all times, soloing one of her pokemon using only Metronome. Normally, This'd be the biggest solo restriction, but your rival quits halfway through. This leaves you to solo Juan with the same restrictions as your rival.

This leaves only Sydney and the same restrictions that I have left you above.

Note that for any move NotAgain knows that is over 60BP, you must use Metronome one more time after the first time.

TL;DR
  • Sableye named NotAgain
  • Catch NotAgain after you recieve your second Badge
  • Teach it Metronome, Max out its PP, and use Metronome first in all battles. Night Shade takes the place of Metronome until Metronome can be learned.
  • Solo your Rival (All times), Juan, and Sydney. One of their mons must always be solo'd using only Metronome.
  • Use Metronome one more time after the first time for each move over 60BP.
Good Luck, Jim. You'll need it :P

Jimera, take a pokemon of your choice, and name them Pinball (or Wizard, whichever one will help you remember).

You're the lucky trainer who gets to own this pokemon, a truly amazing battler. Whatever pokemon it is, it can't see or hear, so it can't use moves with perfect or 100 percent accuracy. Obviously, this doesn't apply until you can obtain moves with less then perfect accuracy. It also can't use items, because he's so powerful that he really doesn't need them. But it does have incredible intuition that leads it to use a supereffective move whenever one is available.

Now, here's the fun part. This pokemon has a limited number of lives. 3, to be exact, before he runs out of balls and can no longer battle. (see what I did there?) If you run out of lives, you must insert 3 quarters (read: 7500 poke) into the nearest Poke Mart in order to allow him to battle again, and throw away the items you get. Each time you run out of lives and do not choose to use a Replay, the cost goes up by 7500. However, he comes with an extra ball feature-if he scores two KOs in a single battle with no involvement from other teammates, he may then faint in the same battle without losing a ball.

You also get powerups, just like in a game of Pinball. To be precise, you get one Multiball, one Replay, and as many Jackpots as you can earn.

Multiball: For the next 4 trainer battles, Pinball must participate, but he may faint without penalty.

Replay: If Pinball runs out of lives, he may battle again after returning to a pokemon center without payment.

Jackpot: Each time Pinball soloes a Gym Leader or Archie/Maxie encounter, you may add one additional Multiball or replace your Replay.

Summary
-any pokemon
-named Pinball (or Wizard)
-no moves with perfect or 100 accuracy ASAP
-must use a supereffective move when you have the option
-3 lives
-if you solo 2 trainer pokemon with Pinball, he can faint later in the battle without losing a life
-if you run out of lives, you must waste 7500 gold*the number of times you've run out of lives to use him again.
-just read the powerup descriptions I don't know how to summarize them

Have fun. I trust you not to abuse the obvious loophole of just not using him.

Just another quick note while I'm here: This challange is legal because it does not kill other scramblemons-he only kills himself

Jimera0, your starter is the all powerful Geiko the Treecko. Geiko can't evolve to Grovyle unless it knows Mega Drain. It can't evolve to Sceptile unless it knows Giga Drain, Detect, and an HM move or Move Tutor move of your choice; once it evolves to Sceptile it can never change its move pool. Good luck!

Jimera0, take Zen Mode the Numel.

Although most Numels and Camerupts are big, hulking beasts capable of wrecking entire anthills okay, maybe a small town, but still :|, Zen Mode prefers to bide its time, storing up power before the time is right. Before it attacks, Zen Mode must use at least one setup move (Growl counts). To prove the benefits of this method, Zen Mode must land critical hits on at least 5 other Pokemon after using Focus Energy to evolve.

Finally, solo an E4 member of your choice to show them that brute force is not everything (hmm, this last sentence sounds familiar).

Jimera0 take Kamikaze the Tailow
Kamikaze does not like to use items at all but to improve his battle skills he can Battle Items (X Attacks etc), TM/HMs, and berries (he likes nature). Solo any Gym Leader of your choice to evolve. He just loves to spread his wings but hates Flying(yes no Fly or Aerial Ace) so he can only use attacks that involve wings or speed (I.e. Quick Attack). Oh and have him solo 2 of the champs pokes.
List of usable moves that Tailow can learn in RSE:
Quick Attack
Wing Attack
Double Team
Agility
Steel Wing
Thief (You gotta be fast to steal stuff)
Swift

GLHF ^.^

Updates:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7 (From this point onwards they are short written updates)
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10. Sorta.
This is all there is for Part 11 because I fucked up the recording. Sorry...
Part 12, the video update returns as a 2 hour long monster!

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
White 2 Challenge Mode Scramble Update #1

/ME is Slow.

At any rate, I might update what I have done up to now, which is not much.

Original Post

Okay, so I begin by calling myself Random, naturally, & sticking the Rival to plain old "Hugh". Because of Sprocket, I had to go & get myself a Snivy to use against Hugh. . .who decided to face me with a Level 6 Tepig. Ouch. Despite this, & the fact that Snivy was Timid, I still managed to end up winning since Hugh went to spam Tail Whip on crucial occasions...

After that, it was off to Floccesy, through some conversations with Alder, & onto Route 20, the first possible opportunity to catch a Sewaddle. Problem is, I had to go through a couple of roadside trainers first...So I bit the bullet, beating them & proceeding to catch my Female Sewaddle. I eventually catch one. . .At Level 2. Ugh. That means some painful times ahead...So armed with many a Potion, I grind Grub, as I called it, to Lv4, which took awfully long...

After that, it was time to head to the ranch, where I beat a couple of trainers, gaining a level or two, before hitting the Floccesy Ranch. At this point, there was, luckily an immediately accessible patch of grass where I first catch Rover the Lv7 Lillipup. Whee! Now, catching Furious, on the other hand, was annoying, simply because it took forever to show up. Mainly, by the time I caught Furious the Psyduck, I had encountered 4 Riolu, several Pidove, heaps of Lillipup, etc. Annoyingly enough, Furious did not have Disable initially, & it was of a Bold Nature. . .Fuck my life.

Mini-grinding ensued afterwards, before I decided to go to Hugh & face his Lv9 Tepig. Three Pokemon did prove to be a decisive factor, as Hugh was pretty easily taken down, before I went ahead & did what you are supposed to do at Floccesy Ranch. After that, it was back to town, where I took on another two little kids with monkeys. Finally, it was off to Aspertia again to take on the Gym. After beating the two mini trainers, Furious learned Disable. Whee! Then I took on Cheren. Got wiped by a Lv14 Lillipup. Fuck that. So I had to grind Furious & Rover to an appropriate level on Floccesy Ranch. Several wipes & levels later, I finally managed to beat Cheren in a tight affair. Whee...

And with that, I get my first badge. . .And then realise that that was only the first badge. Good lord what will happen in the future...

Sewaddle [Grub] (F)
Lv11 | Chlorophyll | Gentle
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Bug Bite

Comments: Why must this thing not be able to be raised against weaker targets. . .Makes it so annoying to level up blah blah blah. LVP atm.
---

Psyduck [Furious] (M)
Lv13 | Cloud Nine | Bold
-Disable
-Scratch
-Tail Whip
-Water Gun
0/20 trainers soloed

Comments: Fuck Bold, really annoying. Also not exactly bulky either. . .At least I can use it whenever I want. The Breeder on Route 4 cannot come soon enough, I guess...
---

Lillipup [Rover] (F)
Lv14 | Pickup | Bashful
-Leer
-Tackle
-Odour Sleuth
-Bite

Comments: Undoubtedly the MVP of the team atm. It is Lillipup, & it is being incredibly useful. What else can I say...

Yeah, update done blah blah blah, also fuck putting the narrative in Hide Tags, since I cannot be fucked to do so...

Nice update, Its-A-Random.

Gratz with your first badge, only seven to go.
Looking forward to further updates, from any of you guys / (girls?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)