2013 Music

Looks like it's going to be a busy year for metal. I am particularly excited for Megadeth's new material, especially after a strong showing with Th1rt3en, and for Theocracy's re-released debut album and its badly-needed remaster. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, and AC/DC also have albums slated for this year, so I'll probably give them a listen too.

well new steven wilson leaked but i think most of the dls will have been purged by now. anyone lucky enough to snag it?

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out was probably the last great release from them in all honesty. Beat Your Ass had one or two great songs but the album as a whole was just good. I'm hoping they have at least one more fantastic album in them (something at least somewhere near the quality of any of the albums from Painful - Inside-Out, all of which were perfection.)

That's not to say Fade doesn't have good songs. Ohm and and The Point of It are lovely songs, but even then they aren't enough by themselves for me to call the album good. Fade is just an ok release for me, which is a shame because there are only about 3 albums in their entire discography I'd call "ok." Fade is one of them.
I feel like albums like Summer Sun and Inside-Out are, while not as transcendently beautiful as say Heart Beating, showcase an excellent side of the band. It's possible that they've just grown on me a lot but I've listened to their entire discography and I don't think anything is less than good. And the only album I'd call good is Popular Songs... After listening to Fade I'm not certain I'll like it more than good either though. Despite that, I wasn't looking for an album close to Heart Beating, because they're getting older and changing and I think they can still be excellent without trying to sound like they did during their best era. So we'll see how Fade grows on me; they're a band that for me can take a number of listens to grasp, but goddamn I love them and I felt the need to stick up for them :P

Looks like it's going to be a busy year for metal. I am particularly excited for Megadeth's new material, especially after a strong showing with Th1rt3en, and for Theocracy's re-released debut album and its badly-needed remaster. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, and AC/DC also have albums slated for this year, so I'll probably give them a listen too.
Not too big on Megadeth but I'll most likely give the new album a shot. Same with Sabbath.

Excited for Iron Maiden :)

AC/DC will probably recycle the same album again, but they're so fun to listen to I probably won't mind!

Does Dream Theater still have Portnoy or did they kick him out after he played with Avenged Sevenfold? If not I probably won't listen, that dude was half the reason I liked those guys in the first place.

Speaking of Sevenfold, to the dude who mentioned a possible new album from them...did you find that out somewhere or is it just wishful thinking? I don't think A7X have been that good since Waking the Fallen, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. The most recent song they did (it was a single iirc), Carry On, was absolutely horrendous...it was incredibly cheesy and not that interesting. Who knows though, if they do release a new album maybe they'll surprise! Shadows' singing voice is great, but I'd really like to hear him go more extreme like he did on the first two albums; specifically I'd like to hear him experiment with growling which was very rare for the earlier A7X and non-existent with their modern sound.

Also Opeth are touring this year to support Heritage, which I didn't even know existed until I read about the tour (I thought their most recent was Watershed lol). Time to give it a listen!

The return of the thin white duke. Yes, yes, yes. I've given myself the task of listening to his entire discography 10 times over until the album comes out. I'm currently on Heroes. Will report if still alive after having to listen to Tonight 10 times over.

only listened to about 10 albums so far, most of them were nice but nothing's really interested me, probably the best was cult of luna - vertikal

some stuff that hasnt been posted here yet:
and so i watch you from afar - all hail bright futures (post rock, reminds me of fang island)
pere ubu - lady from shanghai (really weird post punk)
this town needs guns - 13.0.0.0.0 (math rock / indie rock)
low - the invisible way (slowcore, pretty standard fare for these guys)
jk flesh & prurient - worship is the cleansing of the imagination (electronic industrial ambient whatever)

dunno about much that's coming out in the future but i'm looking forward to new emancipator in about a week (i think) and new nick cave whenever

And while we're at it, "new" leaks:

Dutch Uncles - Out of Touch in the Wild (alt rock/indie rock/indie pop)
Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Descension (alt rock/"prog rock")
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (prog rock)
Gold Panda - Trust EP (IDM)
Voivod - Target Earth (progressive metal)
Roddy Woomble - Listen to Keep (folk rock)
Four Tet - 0181 (IDM)
Vandroya - One (power metal)
For All I Am - Skinwalker (metalcore)
Failure - Perfect Isolation (atmospheric black metal)
Blue Hawaii - Untogether (chillwave)
Bad Religion - True North (punk rock)
the Picturesque Episodes - Singularity (post-rock/ambient)
Night Beds - Country Sleep (indie folk)
Nightlands - Oak Island (psychedelic pop/indie pop)
Otep - Hydra (nu metal)
Helloween - Straight Out of Hell (heavy metal/power metal)
bvdub - A Careful Ecstasy (post-rock/ambient)
This Town Needs Guns - 13.0.0.0.0 (math rock/indie rock)
Brokeback - Brokeback and the Black Rock (post-rock/ambient)
Tomahawk - Oddfellors (alternative rock/experimental rock)
The Joy Formidable - The Wolf's Law (indie rock/noise rock)
Riverside - Shrine of the New Generation Slaves (prog rock)
California X - California X (alternative rock/indie rock)
The Ruby Suns - Christopher (indie pop)
Wave Machines - Pollen (indie pop/synth pop)
The Plot in You - Could You Watch Your Children Burn? (post-hardcore)

first fen disappoint, now it's cult of luna's turn. not a good start to the year. :/
hold the front door.

new CoL is pretty damn great.

Starflyer 59's new album is omgsogud.
OH SHIT.

so far i have been really enjoying the new albums from Cult of Luna, Nosaj Thing, Kongh, and Njiqahdda. new Grouper was nice, but it's basically DaDDUaH b-sides, which is neat, but treading old ground.

Sleigh Bells have basically announced a record for 2013. They should start recording after their Australian tour which ends soon. Hopefully it's better than their sophomore record which paled compared to the amazing Treats.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
treats was awesome, pretty much every track was just great goddamn fun. i didn't even know that they released a new record, though.

I'm really excited for ARTPOP by the Queen (GaGa), And of course there's Daft Punk, Tegan and Sara, Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cher, Paramore's first album since the Farro Brothers' left, U2, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, OneRepublic, Beyonce, Jessie J and Miley Cyrus. I'm really hoping AWOLNATION's second album will drop this year, also, as they're currently working on it. If not this year, early 2014 will be nice.

A lot of Pop, I know, but my music taste is extremely diverse and all over the place, some of my favorite songs of 2012, for example, are Little Talks, Ho Hey, It's Time, Take a Walk, etc.

And I will definitely check out some of these bands you guys mentioned, and try to get into liking AC/DC, however, I did this before and I just did not like AC/DC at all. However, iamwhoiam seems promising; I love the band's name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5t9ckhilM

justin timberlake finally back to music this year. not a bad song but not incredible either imo.
I am not a fan of this song. Suit & Tie was, and is, awful. And him incorporating Jay-Z just makes this a "run-of-the-mill" pop song these days, in which some rapper sings some dumb verse and makes the song worse than it should be. Not to mention the first hour of this song is just "Suit and Tie, Suit and Tie, Suit and Tie..."

so i now have four albums i'd consider above average.

hanging garden - at every door (death / doom)
malignant monster - yours in murder (black / death)
moth - endlessly in motion (prog death)
steven wilson - the raven that refused to sing (and other stories) (prog rock)

Sleigh Bells have basically announced a record for 2013. They should start recording after their Australian tour which ends soon. Hopefully it's better than their sophomore record which paled compared to the amazing Treats.
Totally aggree with this, treats was such a great album and I love every done on it, their second record (I don't even know its and I was so unimpressed) was just lacklustre and just had nothing if note.

Keen for a 3rd and I hope it sounds a lot more like treats as I'd love some more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)