Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

Got my IGCSE results (my school offered a maximum of 6 lessons).

English: A+
Physics: A+
Biology: A+
Maths: A+
Chemistry: A
Computer: C (for which I do not mostly blame myself, but my new highly incompetent teacher who didn't teach us anything during the entire year, most regrettably algorithms for which we spent only 40 minutes on and pretty much impossible for me to learn without a teacher, she also didn't check my coursework project even though I waited for her to check it for a fucking month).

I'm quite satisfied. Thankfully, I didn't struggle with it, and I'm prepared to study like fuck for my A-levels, which I assume will be 10x as challenging.

I'm really interested with getting into Harvard (call it immature, I don't really care) and I know how hard it's going to be, but I'm not going to give up that easily, without trying. I want to take the ACT honestly, but would the SAT be a better choice for getting in there?

Just as extra information, for my A-levels, I'm planning to take Literature, Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

BlackCharizard, the RE was most likely a mock (unless you use a different exam board), and the sciences are all 1/3 of the final grades.
Yeah the sciences are only half. And the RE was an actual Exam I just took fast track in it.

Still im pleased I didnt have to have another lecture from my mum saying how I needed to work harder.

I get lazy with my schoolwork but do much better on tests. I have something like a 3.65 unweighted GPA, and it sits around 4.45 weighted. As for AP exams:

5 on Comp/Lit
4 on Psychology

I'm a senior this year and am attempting to get into the US Air Force Academy. Though my grades are only meh, I scored a composite score of 33 on my ACT and am above the average physical fitness of incoming freshman, and my liaison officer is pretty excited about me and says I'll be really competitive for the program. I'm almost finished with my application.

I'm looking at going into engineering, probably aeronautical, but mechanical and chemical engineering look interesting as well. It just depends on how much I like chem II AP this year.

As for AP classes this year, I'm taking Physics B AP, Chem II AP, and Government AP

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just got my GCSE results:

A* - Mathematics
A* - Additional Science
A - Core Science
A - Spanish
A - French
B - Religious Studies Half Course
B - ICT Full Course
B - Resistant Materials Technology
B - English Literature
C - English

Overall I'm pleased, I can also get into the top colleges around here with the grades, but I've decided against it.
Lol how can you get A in Core and A* in additional? Isn't Core multiple choice? (at least it was when I did GCSE's.

Anyways good job guys doing GCSE's, but remember to work hard at college (you seriously can't just do nothing lol)

senior year seems pretty fun so far. it's only the first week but the homework doesn't seem that bad. my schedule:

0: IB Calculus SL
1: IB English HL
2: IB Theory of Knowledge
3: IB Chemistry HL
4: IB Chemistry HL (it's a double block)
5: IB World Area Studies HL

My schedule this year:

1. AP Chemistry
2. Free Period, lab period on B days.
3. AP Biology
4. Lunch, lab period on B days.
5. Honors American Literature
6. AP World History
7. Intermediate French A
8. Honors Precalculus

Last week, I was pounded by homework, but not too much today.

I'm a Sophomore in HS (actually a college preparatory) and this year will be easier than last.

My Schedule:
1. Geometry
2. Scripture (Religion- Catholic School)
3. Honors Environmental Geology
4. AP Spanish IV (possible 14 college credits if I get a 5 on the exam)
5. Western Civ
6. English II
7. Ceramics (first semester) 2-D Art(2nd)

A lot easier than last year. I had 3 honor classes and would have been 4 if there wasn't a screwup in the computer.

Last year (as a freshy in hs)
Hon. Geography - A
Photography - A
Algebra II Hon. - A
Spanish 101 - A
Hon. Earth Science - A
English - A

so lets see... thats a...
...4.0 BITCH

Don't start for a month or so, but this term, I'm taking:

Vectors and Matrices
Groups
Differential Equations
Numbers and Sets (If I can convince them to take the Physics option out)

I also have to do a non-examined Mechanics course, as apparently I'm not good enough at it yet!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think I'm going to drop Classical Mythology.

My courseload:
5 days of work for co-op (9 - 5)
IAT 403 Interdisciplinary Design Studio I (Wednesdays from 5:30 - 8:30 or 9:30 I should check this out...)

The course is a year long project course so I'm looking forward to it.

Just started semester at UW-Madison, junior year as a Psych major.

Taking:
Stats 301 (requirement for the major, guh).
Psych 210 (same as stats 301 except you relate everything to Psych. Also guh).
Genetics 466.
Social Psychology 530.
Classics 372, Topics in Roman Government.

GPA's somewhere around a 2.8, 2.9 or so on a 4.0. I'm not the world's greatest student.

A bit late to the party, but I missed results day :(
Anyway, I finished my GCSEs this summer, and now have my results. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised :)
OCR Graphic Products: A* (haha, for my coursework, I made a box and display point for my fangame, Pokémon Amethyst)
OCR Core Science: A*
OCR Biology: A*
OCR Chemistry: A*
OCR Physics: A*
Edexcel Maths: A*
Edexcel Statistics: A*
Edexcel Music: A*
Edexcel Business Studies: A
AQA English: A (I hate writing, and didn't do that well in my coursework, so this was pretty surprising)
AQA English Lit: A (same here)
Yeah, I know. I come across as a nerd with those grades :\
I didn't actually do much revising; I guess I just remember stuff first time :)

Oh, and one of my best friends got straight A*s. Now that's an achievement ;)

OCR GCSE Science is annoying. Damn Coursework, I got A* in every Exam bar 2 (Pretty high As) as well.

Anyway, this year I'm doing

A2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry (The highest level that you can do before University)
AS Spanish (The next one lower down from A2)

Should be fuuuuuuuuuuuun =)

I'm in New Zealand too. (I know, wasn't this left on page 2? Meh?)

I think NCEA has serious issues. However, I realise a lot of people don't have too much of a choice, and it doesn't matter if you get University Entrance.

In New Zealand, just fyi for you Americans, you just need to reach a certain amount of points (really easy, straight C's will pass I think), but some courses (Law, Engineering, etc) require more points, or specific subjects (ie. Engineering at University of Auckland you need Math and Physics). So it isn't like the USA with your Ivy League stuff.

I am lucky that I go to (not wanting to start an argument) one of the best/the best school in the country (we had 2 scholars in the 7 Premier scholars last year, unheard of) and the top 1/3 do CIE exams. Thank you UK! If you are really oblivious/ignorant, they just have a percentage and an A*, A, B, C etc.

I'm in my second year at High School (4th form, year 10) and have had pretty much all A's (except Geography, which I will drop next year).

When I leave school I'll get (hopefully) a masters in engineering (civil or electrical).

Honestly, though, this talk of the American system intimidates me lol. Auckland Uni is the best in NZ for Engineering (like 50-somethingth in the world) and I'm happy with that. I dunno about America, but in New Zealand, you employ people on past experience usually. Not on what particular Uni they went to.

Good luck to you all though, I'd want to go to an Ivy League college if I could, but our family could never afford it without a 100% scholarship (yeah right). I'm happy though, I'm 8th in a year of 450 kids, and I should get into the accelerate course (cuts it to 3 years instead of 4).

So yeah. I understand where you are coming from, but the whole Ivy League, GPA and all that goes over my head lol. I'm sure someone from the UK understands.

PS. First post, lurked for ages though.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW! Next year I do IGCSE (I know, just shut up lol) and I'm doing Physics, Chem, History, Economics, and Math/English are compulsary.

Honestly, though, this talk of the American system intimidates me lol. Auckland Uni is the best in NZ for Engineering (like 50-somethingth in the world) and I'm happy with that. I dunno about America, but in New Zealand, you employ people on past experience usually. Not on what particular Uni they went to.
In the US, major corporations do not know what you are capable of when you're right out of college. As such, the better schools will often have better internships/co ops, research, and sometimes the superior professors (although the last one is a school by school scenario). All in all, a degree from a better college can only enable you the possibility of earning a better first job, which will pay off in the long run. But of course, a degree is very limited; it's up to the person. I think most people attend better colleges for the prestige factor, as well as the better internships/co ops.

Good luck to you all though, I'd want to go to an Ivy League college if I could, but our family could never afford it without a 100% scholarship (yeah right). I'm happy though, I'm 8th in a year of 450 kids, and I should get into the accelerate course (cuts it to 3 years instead of 4).
That's what many people think, but it's easier than you think! Families making under $60,000 (USD) pay nothing, and families making $80,000 to 180,000 have to only contribute 10% of their yearly salary. People between $60,000 and $80,000 get different financial aid. But it's entirely possible to afford an Ivy league education! You just have to take the SAT/ACT and at least 2 SAT II subject tests. That'll be your issue.

So yeah. I understand where you are coming from, but the whole Ivy League, GPA and all that goes over my head lol. I'm sure someone from the UK understands.
I find the commonwealth grading (with your A* and A's) more difficult to understand than the percentage scale (0-100%)!

I'm going to bump this thread, seeing how we have started school again and how everyone is just itching to talk about what new they have. As for me.....

AP Biology
AP Calculus BC
Japanese 1
AP History
Advanced Web Design
AP English

My Japanese program is one of the best in the country, with a teacher who is very talented. Official site

THIS is my teacher.

Ok so basically this is more of a predicament:

I moved from India into UK a year ago, into year 10- 2 years befroe the big public exam. Im in year 11 now, and during May - June I give my GCSEs and IGCSEs. Now here lies the predicament:

There is a chance of me moving back as soon as I finish my GCSEs. The reason this is a problem is that a) In India you do more subjects for the second public exams b) MATHS AND SCIENCE ARE SO MUCH HARDER. Now, I dont mean to brag or diss the UK system, but Maths and Science are shitloads easier in the UK, stuff like early calculus and detailed study of Mitochondria and half life radiation are done in the equivalent of year 9 back home. Maths is just mega hard, thanks to no calculators being allowed (afaik). So, all in all im just rreally worried about having to catch up

WHAT WOULD BE WORSE, would be to stay here for one year, THEN move to India, coz then I miss out on a year more of hardass science and maths work, which is even bigger a nightmare.

Now, if it was like just Maths or something I wouldnt mind that much, because I am quite a speedy learner, and I do get excellent marks in exams by just few hours of study ( which is why im on smogon most of the time ), but I still dont feel I can cope with the pressure back home...

Also future plans:

a) After getting a BSc or something similar in Physics and a degree in Maths, get scholarship for some university in US affiliated with NASA. Tie up and carry out research work, assistant researcher to start with, maybe go on to do my own work later
Pros: I FUCKING LOVE SPACE
Cons: Sorry but, I really dont want to live in America. No offense

b) Get degree in Biochemistry, do some course in some university, then get to go back to India, where one of the leading centres fro biochemical research is located
Pros: Live in India
Cons: Not nearly as exciting as being an astrophysicist

If all fails, ill just try and become a doctor, as everyone thinks ill be one anyways what with my obsession with science, although like i said, id rather do something more mathematical

There's nothing wrong with no calculators, pretty much all of the top level maths examinations systems don't use calculators, because they don't test your knowledge of the taught material at all.

Why would it need to be America though, Obviously NASA is a big programme, but you don't have to be in America to do work with NASA, you could do a doctorate over here and then look for work over there, or work with European space groups affiliated with NASA, who still do some pretty good projects (see Cassini / Huygens)

I go to Singapore American School, a pretty huge international school in Asia. So far I love the classes.

Started my Sophomore year with 3 APs...

English 10
Algebra II / Trigonometry
Racket Sports + Health
Accelerated Chemistry
AP Human Geography
AP Chinese
AP Computer Science A
(Free Period)

The homework load is pretty crazy, but I get by :P. I'm going for a ~4.3ish GPA this year; wish me luck!

Man, a lot of intelligent people here at Smogon.
Anyway, here are my current grades:
Honors English III : 90% A-
Honors Precalc: A
Spanish III: B
AP Art History: A-
AP Bio: A
AP US History: A

This is my Junior year in a Californian High School, as so far it there has been a pretty big workload (like 3 hours a night). But, my hard work has payed off as I now have a 4.66 as of last progress reports (weighted). This is a big leap from last year, when I had only a 4.0 at the end of my sophomore year.

In New Zealand, just fyi for you Americans, you just need to reach a certain amount of points (really easy, straight C's will pass I think), but some courses (Law, Engineering, etc) require more points, or specific subjects (ie. Engineering at University of Auckland you need Math and Physics). So it isn't like the USA with your Ivy League stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW! Next year I do IGCSE (I know, just shut up lol) and I'm doing Physics, Chem, History, Economics, and Math/English are compulsary.

lol dude, if you get straight 'C's (or achieves), you'll do better than most people. You need 60 credits in level 2 and 3 to pass, if you pass everything you'll get around 130-140 credits :D.

Yeah, in NZ it doesn't really matter if you went to Otago or Auckland. The employers just want to see particular degrees. They don't really know how Otago psychology compares to Auckland psychology for example, it's really the same to them. We just don't have any really presitgious schools. If we had a NZ equivalent of Harvard, that would be different, but we don't, so the mindset here is "C's get degrees" :D.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well I found out I was the only one at my school to have AP Scholar with Honor after Junior year, so that was pretty cool. You can only take AP Euro Sophomore year, but there about 5 you can take Junior year so its pretty rare.

AP Euro - 4
AP US - 5
AP Stat - 5
AP Psych - 4

Classes Taken this Year (Senior Year):
AP Calculus BC
AP Physics C (Mechanics and Electricity/Magnetism)
AP American Government
AP English Literature

So I am hoping to have that National AP Scholar Award, which would be a cool thing to have.

My top 5 Colleges would be Brown, Dartmouth, Boston College, Villanova, and Notre Dame, but in all likelihood Brown, Dartmouth, and Notre Dame are a bit out of my reach so BC or Nova would be excellent. As of now International Relations/Political Science would be my major with a couple languages to be determined as my minors.

I got AP Scholar with Honor, too

edit: I took 5 AP tests, but I did really badly on more than I wanted to (2 on spanish, 3 on art history).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)