Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

Drivers Ed: I don't even remember my grade in this class, but I find this class so useless, I can learn how to drive just learning from my parents.
I wish I'd had drivers ed. My mum doesn't drive, so it's gonna cost me a bomb to learn.

Top schools I'm applying to are Michigan Ann Arbor and GIT, hopefully I'll get in. A lot of people at my school are applying to ivies (they accept TONS of people from my school, since it's competitive) but I'm saving fee money since I only have a 3.7 GPA. Still, I don't know if I should apply to one, or if it'd be a waste of 70 bucks. I think my top 2 are great and high enough... thoughts?

So in America, 5 is the highest GPA and 1 is the lowest? Weird since in our country,it in reverse.

Anyway, I am taking up Bachelor of Science in Accountancy and here's my grades for the Preliminaries.

Elementary Accounting: 1.9
English: 1.2
Mathematics: 1.6
Sociology: 1.7
NSTP: 1.2 (This subject is kind of an army training something subject...pretty easy)
Group Guidance: 1 (Useless subject whih talks about values and all that crap)
Religious Studies: 1.5 (Yes, our schools here are sectarian)

I am really excited for Economics and more Accounting subjects for the next Semesters, and it's off to Law School!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In America, GPA is remarkably inconsistent. I've seen scales from 3 to 15, higher number generally better. You can't really use a single number to accurately gauge academic performance, even if grades were a solid indication of this already, which they often aren't.

We didnt get final grades back but according to the calculating sheets im going on a 95 average.

Freshman in Stuyvesant (the hardest damn school ever)
Slacked off on the SHSAT,... still got into York. Its decent, but you stuy kids get a butt load off stuff

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In America, GPA is remarkably inconsistent. I've seen scales from 3 to 15, higher number generally better. You can't really use a single number to accurately gauge academic performance, even if grades were a solid indication of this already, which they often aren't.
Canada ranges from 100 to 4. It's pretty weird.

Hopefully, I'm expecting a predicted grade of 39+/45. Hopefully my EE doesn't fuck me up.

I'll be sending apps to Northwestern, U of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, Cal Tech, USC, and maybe some Ivies.

Could you elaborate on this? I've never seen anything higher than a 5, and taking all those AP classes seems ridiculous and I doubt anyone would do it anyway. Where is it that higher than a 5 (Probably 4.5 tbh) exists?

My grades just came in last week and i think theyre good but there all easy accept for one which i can do better when the final grade comes out

AP Macroeconomics-B-(81)
Spanish 1-A(95)
American Literature-A(97)
DualEnrollment Drafting-A(91)

GPA i think unwieghted is 3.65 i dont know about weighted

As you can see some of you might think that these r easy classes but my school has low curriculum standards than others around the area so basically most but a few select(Honors and AP students) are mindless. Because of this our school is not really top in academics or close to top to get attention from a colloege besides the community college which im doing Dual Enrollment with. Im a junior and i was thinking since i came this far i dont want to stress myself by moving to a better school with a harder curriculum on my senior year so i decided to stay and Get my GPA up so i can go to Georgia Tech and work to become a Computer Engineer.

Im also in some clubs and have some community service to help me get into GT some im just hoping i meet the requirements and get into it.

Just going through the thread...some damn smart people around here. I was a pretty average student in high school, I had a 3.0 at a private school, and am in my first semester in College but I think its much easier. I think maybe cause I went to a college prep school.

One thing I can't stand is anyone saying "Cause I don't try, I don't get the grades...I could be all As." That is my pet peeve. I didn't study in high school, but I am a B student still...because of my work ethic. You are what your grades tell you, and until you prove you get all As and sustain it, people who don't work at it need to just shut up and live with it.

Eraddd

One Pixel
SAT scores are in. 780 on chem. I was pleasantly surprised, considering I went "wtf" for acid and bases.

Could you elaborate on this? I've never seen anything higher than a 5, and taking all those AP classes seems ridiculous and I doubt anyone would do it anyway. Where is it that higher than a 5 (Probably 4.5 tbh) exists?
It depends on the school system, most schools weight things on a 4.0 scale, with honors and AP being higher, but some systems don't have any weight on honors/AP, and some places have weird systems where an A isn't a 4.0, but like a 16 or something. It just depends on how the system is.

Yea, some schools weight AP and IB grades, as i think it should be. In my school this was nonexistant so I had a bunch of general math and dumb kids above me in ranking, its no biggy, but when the school places kids like that above you it kind of gets you down.

Just got SAT scores in.

700 Reading
710 Math
6320 Writing (weird since I got a 5 on my AP comp/lit exam)
2030 Total

I scored a 33 overall on my ACT last year.

edit: meant 620 writing, not 630

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Got

CR: 760
Math: 800
W: 700
Total: 2260

Pretty happy since colleges generally don't put as much importance on the writing section

Eraddd

One Pixel
math >:(

CR: 800
Math: 710
W: 800
total: 2310

i took this test specifically to get a better math score... and i did... 10 points better lol. previously i had CR: 800, M: 700, W: 780, so i technically it was an improvement, i'm still a little annoyed.

it sucks that colleges dont really care about the writing section :(
If you got 10 points better, which would imply you probably did better than 99% of the US population, why would you take it again? Colleges will most likely not distinguish between a 2250 and a 2300. Both are competitive scores. Stop being annoyed and whining. It only makes you look arrogant and look like a prat.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
inb4jimbo

Math: 700 (770 carries over from my first time)
CR: 700
W: 670
Total: 2070 (2140 overall)

Meh, I'm a bit ticked that I wasted 4 hours for a net gain of 20 points, though some schools specifically said they look at the SAT scores in the context of the individual high school, and I blew everyone else out of the water.

Eraddd

One Pixel
inb4jimbo

Math: 700 (770 carries over from my first time)
CR: 700
W: 670
Total: 2070 (2140 overall)

Meh, I'm a bit ticked that I wasted 4 hours for a net gain of 20 points, though some schools specifically said they look at the SAT scores in the context of the individual high school, and I blew everyone else out of the water.
Which school do you go to? And are you serious in saying that they look at in context of individual high schools? There's only 5 people in our school applying to Americans, and one kid got 2320 on his first try, so you just listed another worry for me.

If you got 10 points better, which would imply you probably did better than 99% of the US population, why would you take it again? Colleges will most likely not distinguish between a 2250 and a 2300. Both are competitive scores. Stop being annoyed and whining. It only makes you look arrogant and look like a prat.
chill man. regardless of what you may think, 700 is not that fantastic of a score and i believe it is reasonable for me to want to take the test a second time to improve it. i very much believed it within my ability to do much better, so i am (pay attention) a LITTLE annoyed that i didn't live up to my full potential and didn't really do much better on the one subject i was trying specifically to improve. that's all i'm saying.

colleges might not distinguish between a 2250 and a 2300, but they definitely will distinguish between a 1500/1600 vs a 1550+/1600, which is what i was aiming for. (colleges do it out of 1600, they don't care about writing)

ps i could give less of a shit about what 99% of the population's score is, the average national score for the reading section is like 500 i mean seriously.

Eraddd

One Pixel
chill man. regardless of what you may think, 700 is not that fantastic of a score and i believe it is reasonable for me to take the test for a second time to improve it, because i very much believed it within my ability to do much better. i also think it is reasonable to be slightly annoyed that i didn't do better in the one subject i was retaking the test for in the first place. colleges might not distinguish between a 2250 and a 2300, but they definitely will distinguish between a 1500/1600 vs a 1550+/1600, which is what i was aiming for.
I'm wondering if you honestly think a 700 to a 750 math makes a huge difference? It's the difference between 2 points on the raw score, and, could be easily remedied by a decent math score in calculus, or a 750+ math II score. Again, sitting another 4 hour exam, only to get a 10 point difference sends the message to me and potential admission officers that you care more about the marks, rather than the intrinsic value of learning. But then again, most people don't give a shit about hte learning and focus on the marks, which university isn't about.

i took the test a second time because I believed I was capable of getting a really really good math score. getting a really good math score, regardless of what you believe, DOES make a difference. ever gone to a website called naviance.com? it shows you what the average SAT/GPA combo of all the kids who applied to a certain college from your high school had as well as each individual case of SAT/GPA and whether they got in or not. Looking at the colleges I am applying to, my GPA is pretty much in line but my SAT, which was 1500/1600, was decidedly low for these colleges. Noticing this, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to get more into the 1550+ range, which would push me more comfortably into the average accepted students range. The fact that I didn't manage to do substantially better, while obviously not the end of the world, was slightly annoying because, based on the scatterplot in front of me, it COULD have made a bit of a difference. and that is why I am a LITTLE annoyed. So get off my case.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
SAT scores are in. 780 on chem. I was pleasantly surprised, considering I went "wtf" for acid and bases.
Man I know that stuff and I'm still fucked for my Australian chemistry test which is tomorrow :(.

Anyway I wanted to do the SAT's but my parents wouldn't let me cause of the additional cost. Three of my friends (who are all fairly average at my school) took the SAT's and got pretty damn high scores (will edit in later exactly what), so the fact that they are apparently way easier then our HSC exams means I'm fair cut I didn't get to do them :(. Might take a year off and do SAT's next year though. One question about them, are they the sort of test you study for or the kind that you just have to know your stuff?

Eraddd

One Pixel
Man I know that stuff and I'm still fucked for my Australian chemistry test which is tomorrow :(.

Anyway I wanted to do the SAT's but my parents wouldn't let me cause of the additional cost. Three of my friends (who are all fairly average at my school) took the SAT's and got pretty damn high scores (will edit in later exactly what), so the fact that they are apparently way easier then our HSC exams means I'm fair cut I didn't get to do them :(. Might take a year off and do SAT's next year though. One question about them, are they the sort of test you study for or the kind that you just have to know your stuff?
You're "supposed" to know, but everyone studies for them. SAT IIs are based on the curriculum you're supposed to follow so that you're "ready for" an American education, but that's completely bullshit. IB follows a 2 year system, and for people like me, who didn't finish half the chemistry they want which we complete in gr 12, but for the first part, know in depth in the subject, have to devote extra time to study for them (which isn't that hard, but time consuming).

One thing I would advise you: as an international student, you will get shafted in America. Without a doubt, if you need financial aid (cause who can afford 70k a year?). American universities, with the exception of need blind schools, and some Ivies, who have huge endowments for internationals, will only accept approximately 10-50 international freshmen a year, who need financial aid, which is incredibly difficult for us, because we're competing in such a huge pool, with little chance of getting in, while American students get federal aid, and thus, its easier for them. If you can afford 70k a year, you have a huge advantage over the other international students. What I'm trying to get at is, don't put too much hope into going to America. I know plenty of very intelligent people, who couldn't afford to go to America, and were rejected, while their American counterparts were accepted. I have no doubt that you are very intelligent, but in the end, the system fucks us over. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I would personally advise you to study for the SATs while also focusing on scholarships in your home country, then come to America for graduate study.

Good luck :)

Just listening to you guys talk about the SATs, and was personally wondering if college apps these days even look at the Writing SAT. I remember applying for college back then and being openly told by some apps people that that section was a waste time, and not to feel bummed at all if I got a bad grade.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A lot of colleges ignore or don't weigh the Writing score very much, even less than the normal test scores (especially engineering institutions, but several liberal arts colleges as well). Still take it but it probably can "only help" you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)