Scrafty

Scrafty is certainly an interesting Pokemon with its great dual typing, decent defenses, great abilities and movepool and above all, its ability to stick around for a while. Its sub-par speed is also a boon when using or dealing with Trick Room, and with Fake Out in its arsenal it makes a great lead.

Single sets:

@ Sitrus/Chople Berry
Jolly nature
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 HP

hi jump kick/drain punch
dragon dance
ice punch
crunch

(yeah i never played singles with scrafty so someone help me out here)
Double sets:

Fake Out lead

@ Chople Berry
Adamant/Brave nature
Moxie
252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 SpD

Fake Out
Drain Punch
Crunch
Detect

The premise of this set is to allow your partner time to set up Trick Room or similar moves, or simply make sure a Terrakion doesn't Rock Slide your Rock-weak partner. Detect is generally preferred over Protect as it cannot be Imprisoned bar Smeargle and Zoroark, but if you find your battles are more drawn out and you need the extra 8 PP, then use Protect. Drain Punch is part of the reason for Scrafty's longevity, keeping Scrafty healthy while doing damage. Crunch is there for STAB, but if you need the coverage, Scrafty also learns Fire, Thunder and Ice Punch as well. Bear in mind, however that if you opt for Fire or Ice Punch, you will be walled by Pokemon like Jellicent and Chandelure.

The type resistant berries make Scrafty even more annoying to deal with, as when the opponent tries in vain to OHKO Scrafty with Close Combat or Flight Gem Acrobatics, Scrafty lives and heals off the damage with Drain Punch, possibly getting the offending Pokemon into KO range for your partner. If you have Scrafty's weaknesses covered by your team, You can try Lum and Sitrus Berries to keep Scrafty from being Burned, put to sleep or simply restoring health in tandem with Drain Punch. Moxie is generally the preferred ability given Scrafty's resilience, but if you like first-turn wake-ups or being able to shrug off Toxic, Shed Skin is an option.

Other options Scrafty can use are Iron Ball+Fling, more Speed and Life Orb. Life Orb adds a little extra punch to your moves, and with Drain Punch healing off the recoil, it's a very viable option. Fling with Iron Ball can be used to underspeed other Trick Room teams, but you're outpaced by other Scrafty outside of Trick Room and vulnerable to be Faked Out first. Iron Ball is useless with Fling if the opponent decides to Protect on your Fling, which wastes your Iron Ball and an entire moveslot for the rest of the battle. You can run more Speed, specifically 98 and 180 Speed to outspeed unboosted base 125 and 130 speed Pokemon under Tailwind, respectively. If you're not going to make use of the surprise that comes with a Scrafty outspeeding Crobat, however, there are better Fake Out users you can use.

someone help me out here, i've never played GBU singles with this guy, and is there really any other useful doubles set for him?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
maybe a DD set for singles, scrafty isnt that good in singles but can manage to do well if it has a good team matchup

252 atk / 252 spe /4 whatever
jolly nature
hi jump kick/drain punch
dragon dance
ice punch
crunch

this is probably what i'd use

You may want to put Ice Punch as a secondary option for the moves after Fake Out, since it KOs many common Pokemon in the GBU and nets Scrafty its Moxie boost quickly, while most of the 4x Ice-weak Pokemon can't KO Scrafty easily.

I expect Scrafty to become a much more popular Doubles Pokemon after it gets Intimidate, since it has better coverage and better defenses than Hitmontop while doing basically the same thing.

I mentioned Ice Punch already.

Also, Hitmontop is more of a priority abuser imo; I'd personally use just Hitmontop as a Mach Punch/FO abuser (this is just me, though). Scrafty plays differently with Moxie and absence of priority bar FO, but it's, you know, bulky/annoying.

-obligatory scrafty is the most badass pokemon ever comment-

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Specifically, 92 Speed EVs gives Scrafty 90 Speed, which allows it to outspeed everything up to the genies in Tailwind. This can of course be tweaked, but it's a nice benchmark, since generally nothing that can hurt Scrafty sits past that benchmark.

I'm surprised Fling hasn't been mentioned. With Iron Ball equipped, it allows Scrafty to function better in Trick Room and fire a very powerful (And excellent type, for Doubles) attack off once. Or, if you're scared to death of OTHER Trick Room Pokemon and are willing to sacrifice some Spe, you can KO the many Psychic- or Ghost-type Trick Room users that lurk in Doubles GBU. I'm not 100% sure on the numbers, but I imagine even Cresselia and Dusclops are put pretty low or KO'd by it with certain EV spreads (Of course, you could just Fake Out Cresselia, but I don't know, maybe you really want to use the recent event Scrafty, which doesn't have Fake Out). Not that I think Fling is about to replace Crunch in its moveslot, but I feel it would be helpful to mention it anyway especially when every unusual item is welcome due to the limitations of Item Clause.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)