Balance OU Sandstorm Team

Balanced OU Sandstorm Team

Team Preview

Balanced Team

A more bulky style than offense, based more around countering offensive threats rather than using your own, using type synergy, and general bulk, and commonly bulky sweepers at the end of the game, this style of team relies on prediction and knowledge of the metagame. Finally, when their team is weakened, the bulky sweeper comes in to finish their team weakened from the residual damage you have racked up during the game.
Balancing it out!

Tyranitar period, LOL just exaggerating how good it was in sandstorm teams. Tyranitar serve as my Sand Streamer, Stealth Rock Support, Trapper, and a Special Tank.

Since I wanted this team to be fairly balanced, I need to complete the team's defensive cores. I chose the "FerroCent" because of their defensive synergy that also cover-up Tyranitar's weaknesses, and can take both Physical and Special hits.

Now that the defensive cores is done, what we need now is a sweeper which synergies with the defensive cores, I chose these two as they both have stellar offenses, and offensive synergy that counters each one of their threats, and they're not only both immune to sandstorm residual damage, but also benefits from it which made them a solid sweepers inside sandstorm.

And last but not the least, a Special Sweeper. Since my team lacks a Scarfed Pokemon to maintain the Speed-Tier, a Latios with 110 base speed with a Choice-Scarf in it will do, also Latios synergies well with the team. Although Latios receive residual damage from sandstorm it works effectively in the team, also Latios can adopts to opposing weather team with a Pseudo-STAB Surf under the Rain and Hidden Power - [Fire] under the Sun.
In-Depth Analysis:

Tyranitar

@
Leftovers
Trait: Sand Steam
Nature: Sassy
EV Spread: 240 HP / 4 Atk / 16 Def / 248 SpD
Synergy:

~Stealth Rock
~Crunch
~Pursuit
~Fire Blast

The core member of the team, "The sand streamer". I use support Tyranitar instead of Choice Band as it can easily switch-in to Latios, Latias due to its monstrous Sp.Def inside sandstorm and trap them via Pursuit which provide an ease for Terrakion to sweep, he can also set up Stealth Rock easily because of its ability to threaten the Pokemon that possess Magic Bounce with its powerful Dark-type STAB attacks. Sassy is the preferred nature, since it lowers Tyranitar's already dismal Speed while maximizing its Special Defense. 240HP EV to attain 401HP which is divisible by 16, +1 and the excess EV is in Def. Leftovers for longevity nothing much to say.
Ferrothorn

@
Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EV Spread: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Synergy:

~Spikes
~Leech Seed
~Protect
~Power Whip

Best defensive buddy as it can take both Physical and Special hits, and synergies well with Jellicent or the "FerroCent". I use him as a Dragon Counter switching-in into an Outrage and lay down leech seed, stall with protect and hurt them with Iron Barbs and Power Whip. Spikes for more residual damage, Leech Seed to stall and force switches, Protect to scout moves, and STAB Power Whip to smash opposing water Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Starmie and Gastrodon.
Jellicent

@
Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
Nature: Bold
EV Spread: 240 HP / 184 Def / 84 Spe
Synergy:

~Scald
~Will-O-Wisp
~Recover
~Taunt

First of all, all I wanted was a bulky Water Pokemon that synergies well with Ferrothorn, but thanks to its bonus Ghost-typing that grants him immunity to fighting moves and can block Rapid Spin. I chose Cursed Body because it force many switches as it locks up Choice and Taunted single attacking move Pokemon, also Recover helps Cursed Body to be activated by stalling damage with Recover and wait for Cursed Body to be activated. Only 240Hp EV to attain 401HP which is divisible by 16, +1, 84speed EV to outspeed non-Speed EV Skarmory and opposing Jellicent and lock them down with taunt.
Landorus

@
Expertbelt
Trait: Sand Force
Nature: Naive
EV Spread: 228 Atk / 28 SpA / 252 Spe
Synergy:

~U-Turn
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Hidden Power [Ice]

Terrakion's Genie! The key to this set's effectiveness is its ability to feign Choice Scarf, allowing Landorus to catch opponents off-guard because they think it's locked into a single move which make a good partnership with Terrakion, as it grants Terrakion's wish to get rid of its common threat named Gliscor and Celebi as they think they can safely switch-in to Choice-locked Earthquake and OHKO them with HP-Ice/U-turn.
Terrakion

@
Choice Band
Trait: Justified
Nature: Jolly
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Synergy:

~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~X-Scissor
~Quick Attack

Boasting its Dual STAB Rock and Fighting made Terrakion one of the best sweeper in OU metagame. Thanks to its Rock-typing that not only negates the residual damage from sandstorm but also boost its Sp.Def by 50% which made Terrakion a solid bulky sweeper in the sand. Choice-Band Terrakion is outspeed by Scarfed and those who are > 108 Base Speed, Choice-Scarf Latios is there to maintain the Speed-Tier and get rid of them. Although outspeed by many Terrakion has access to Quick Attack that allows him to revenge kill weakened scarf, priority user, and faster Pokemon at low health. Choice-Band Terrakion's STAB Close Combat/Stone Edge OHKO/2HKO almost everything in OU metagame even its counter Gliscor, Slowbro and Skarmory can't even stand it.
Latios

@
Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Synergy:

~Draco Meteor
~Surf
~Hidden Power - [Fire]
~Trick

Even though Latios takes residual damage from sandstorm it grants the Ability: "Levitate" which made it immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Despite the residual damage from sandstorm it works effectively in the team, as it can lure Dark-Type moves not named Pursuit for Terrakion, puts the opponent under pressure from its monstrous Sp.Atk, gets rid of the defensive and offensive threats in the team with proper prediction, locks up support via Trick, adopts to opposing weather teams with Pseudo-STAB Surf under the Rain and HP-[Fire] under the sun, and although it loses the power to OHKO most non-Dragon-Type resistant Pokemon at full health due to its lack of Sp.Atk in Choice-Scarf it still do its job with the help of residual damage from sandstorm and entry hazards. Choice-Scarf over Choice-Specs, because I prioritize countering threats than monstrous Sp.Atk, and it outspeed most pokemon at +1 Speed and revenge kill them, or use Trick to lock them up with their last non-damaging move.
Threats

As you can see they all synergies well with each other except Landorus that synergies only with Latios, Ferrothorn and Jellicent, so with proper switch-in and prediction it'll be hard for them to break the wall. Although the team synergies well with each other there are still threats in the team which named below.
Tornadus-T

Tornadus-T brings tragedy to this team in the Rain, as no one can resist his STAB Hurricane, not even Tyranitar who resist Flying-Type moves, has high Sp.Def and has the ability to change the weather threatens by it as it can OHKO Tyranitar with Superpower. But with Stealth Rock on the field it lessen the problem as it enters the field losing 25% of its HP as well as stoping its Regenerator Ability.
Breloom

Just seeing Breloom in my opposing team really annoys me. Breloom can switch-in to Tyranitar but will not enjoy its welcome with Fire Blast, Jellicent but will not also enjoy its welcome with Will-O-Wisp, and to Ferrothorn and then locking down one of the team member with Spore and set-up with Sword Dance or Sub Punch. A healthy Latios can revenge kill it or a switch-in into a predicted Sword Dance boost and OHKO it with STAB Draco Meteor, while Terrakion can only revenge kill it via Quick Attack at low health.
Mamoswine

The STAB priority Ice Shard that OHKOs Landorus and weakened Latios, its STAB Earthquake that OHKOs Tyranitar and Terrakion and hurts Jellicent and Ferrothorn made Mamoswine a huge threat into this team. A healthy Latios can handle Mamoswine's STAB Ice Shard and OHKO it with STAB Draco Meteor, while Terrakion can only revenge kill Life Orb and Choice Band Mamoswine. Focus Sash Mamoswine seems not much a problem because of its vulnerability to entry hazards which Tyranitar and Ferrothorn provides.
Terrakion

Opposing Terrakion brings problem to this team especially if it uses Salac Berry, Substitute and Double Dancer, this set surprises me as they bring Terrakion on the field as I was predicting a Choice-Terrakion going in Close Combat or Stone Edge which opens a free-boost. Choice set Terrakion is not much a problem with right prediction and switch-ins, and they're locked up in a single move.
Landorus

The sand-genie also gives problem to this team, especially if it also uses The Double Dancer set or Substitute. Latios and my Ebelt Landorus can handle Sheer Force Landorus, although proper switch-in and prediction is needed. Choice-Landorus sees no problem as he can easily be read and scouted.
Dugtrio

The most use trapper in OU metagame. Dugtrio's addition in a weather team gains an advantage over opposing weather team as it trap and kills opposing weather named "Tyranitar" and Ninetales, including Politoed and Hippowdon at low health and win the weather war. It also traps Latios and kill it with Priority Sucker Punch and it outspeed the Choice-Band Terrakion and can easily revenge kill it with Earthquake. But with entry hazards on the field that prevents its Focus Sash to be activated, the team could easily put Dugtrio out cold.

First of all, thank you for reading this thread, I hope there's no error in spelling or grammar because English is not my native language so if there's one feel free to point it out. And of course I'm open for suggestions, criticism and questions you might want to ask. Hope you like it, Thanks!

Here's a another look at my team.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Atk / 16 Def /248 SpD
Sassy Nature (+Spd, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp.Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 240 HP / 184 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Landorus @ Expertbelt
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power-[Ice]

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power-[Fire]
- Trick
Also see my Drizzle Team RMT here.

Hey there,

Nice Balanced Sand team you have there. Anyway, on to the rate. Looking at your team, Offensive Venusaur looks like it could really give you a hard time with or without Sun. The only thing that can really take it on is Latios; and in sun, Latios gets destroyed by a +2 Sludge Bomb. So may I suggest a Scarf Latios > Choice Specs Latios just so that you have something to fall back on if you do lose the weather war. Now, if you do decide to try this suggestion, I do not see the point of having two Choice Scarfers so may I suggest a Choice Banded Terrakion > Choice Scarf Terrakion. CB Terrakion would be a real powerhouse for your team and help you deal with Sun slightly better along with Scarf Latios.

In my opinion, Expert Belt Landorus in BW2 is very ineffective in BW2, just because nobody assumes a Physical Landorus anymore, everyone assumes Special Landorus. So, it won't really be luring in Gliscor, as nobody switches in Gliscor against a Landorus, and even if you do show them that you're a Physical variant, they still won't send in Gliscor as they usually do have Hp ice. So may I suggest a Sub Smack Down Landorus > E-belt Landorus. Smack Down Landorus would work so much better with Terrakion being able to take out threats such as Bronzong and Skarmory as well as Rotom-W which is always good. not only that, but Sub Smack down Landorus always and I mean always has an opportunity to set up a Substitute as it forces so many switches.

One thing that seems to be very problematic to your team is Tornadus-T, you have nothing that can switch into this thing. Life Orb variants are the most annoying simply because they carry Superpower to hit Heatran/Tyranitar. To help with Tornadus-T I suggest Specially defensive Rotom-W > Jellicent. I do realise that if you do this you would lose your spin blocker but in my opinion it would be worth it just to counter Tornadus-T.

Sets

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Smack Down

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Anyway, nice team. Hope I helped!

Hey there,

Nice Balanced Sand team you have there. Anyway, on to the rate. Looking at your team, Offensive Venusaur looks like it could really give you a hard time with or without Sun. The only thing that can really take it on is Latios; and in sun, Latios gets destroyed by a +2 Sludge Bomb. So may I suggest a Scarf Latios > Choice Specs Latios just so that you have something to fall back on if you do lose the weather war. Now, if you do decide to try this suggestion, I do not see the point of having two Choice Scarfers so may I suggest a Choice Banded Terrakion > Choice Scarf Terrakion. CB Terrakion would be a real powerhouse for your team and help you deal with Sun slightly better along with Scarf Latios.

In my opinion, Expert Belt Landorus in BW2 is very ineffective in BW2, just because nobody assumes a Physical Landorus anymore, everyone assumes Special Landorus. So, it won't really be luring in Gliscor, as nobody switches in Gliscor against a Landorus, and even if you do show them that you're a Physical variant, they still won't send in Gliscor as they usually do have Hp ice. So may I suggest a Sub Smack Down Landorus > E-belt Landorus. Smack Down Landorus would work so much better with Terrakion being able to take out threats such as Bronzong and Skarmory as well as Rotom-W which is always good. not only that, but Sub Smack down Landorus always and I mean always has an opportunity to set up a Substitute as it forces so many switches.

One thing that seems to be very problematic to your team is Tornadus-T, you have nothing that can switch into this thing. Life Orb variants are the most annoying simply because they carry Superpower to hit Heatran/Tyranitar. To help with Tornadus-T I suggest Specially defensive Rotom-W > Jellicent. I do realise that if you do this you would lose your spin blocker but in my opinion it would be worth it just to counter Tornadus-T.

Sets

- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Terrakion @ Choice Band
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Smack Down

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Thanks for your suggestions I like it, though Ebelt Landorus work perfectly in my team, I used him like he's a Scarf set locked up in one move and then shock them when I switch moves, he always get atleast 2 of my opponent's pokemon by surprise, Anyways, I'll test it and see what's best :) By the way are you playing in Nintendo or in "Pokemon Online"?

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team dude!

So the main threats I see to this team are Tornadus-T and enemy Terrakion. I'd like to address Terrakion first; you have no safe switch-ins, neither Latios nor Jellicent enjoy STAB Stone Edges. Tyranitar is as free a switch-in as Terrakion can want and from there it can free off its powerful moves or begin to set up. SubSalac is especially dangerous as you just have to risk the 50/50 with your own Scarf Terrakion. To solve this problem I suggest trying a Defensive Hippowdon over your current Tyranitar. Hippowdon boasts very high physical defense and can continually switch-in and counter Terrakion. It has reliable recovery with Slack Off, boasts Earthquake to finish Terrakion, and as an added bonus isn't trapped by Dugtrio.

Now this change opens you even more so up to threats like Latios, and Latias, who can have their way with your team sans Tyranitar. For this, and your Tornadus-T weakness, I recommend replacing Ferrothron with a Specially Defensive Jirachi. Jirachi is as solid a counter to the aforementioned threats as you could want, its really only threatened by a Specs Latios with a Super Effective or weather boosted move. Jirachi resists the threats' common STAB moves like Hurricane and Draco Meteor and can hax its way past them. Be aware though that Jirachi brings with it that weakness to Dugtrio, but with smart playing that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Finally I suggest running Water Absorb on Jellicent. You lost your Specially Defensive Water-resist with Ferrothorn so you need a new Pokemon who can soak up those Specs Hydro Pumps from things like Keldeo.

Sets Recommended:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 HP / 188 Def / 84 Spe
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Good Luck!

Cool team dude!

So the main threats I see to this team are Tornadus-T and enemy Terrakion. I'd like to address Terrakion first; you have no safe switch-ins, neither Latios nor Jellicent enjoy STAB Stone Edges. Tyranitar is as free a switch-in as Terrakion can want and from there it can free off its powerful moves or begin to set up. SubSalac is especially dangerous as you just have to risk the 50/50 with your own Scarf Terrakion. To solve this problem I suggest trying a Defensive Hippowdon over your current Tyranitar. Hippowdon boasts very high physical defense and can continually switch-in and counter Terrakion. It has reliable recovery with Slack Off, boasts Earthquake to finish Terrakion, and as an added bonus isn't trapped by Dugtrio.

Now this change opens you even more so up to threats like Latios, and Latias, who can have their way with your team sans Tyranitar. For this, and your Tornadus-T weakness, I recommend replacing Ferrothron with a Specially Defensive Jirachi. Jirachi is as solid a counter to the aforementioned threats as you could want, its really only threatened by a Specs Latios with a Super Effective or weather boosted move. Jirachi resists the threats' common STAB moves like Hurricane and Draco Meteor and can hax its way past them. Be aware though that Jirachi brings with it that weakness to Dugtrio, but with smart playing that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Finally I suggest running Water Absorb on Jellicent. You lost your Specially Defensive Water-resist with Ferrothorn so you need a new Pokemon who can soak up those Specs Hydro Pumps from things like Keldeo.

Sets Recommended:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 HP / 188 Def / 84 Spe
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Good Luck!
Sounds great, I'll try it later when i got home, yet I already tried to change Specs to Scarf Latios and Scarf to Band Terrakion, much better than the old set. Anyway, thanks for suggestions, I'll post my feedback once I already tried it :)

Hey there,

Sets

- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Terrakion @ Choice Band
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Smack Down

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hey thanks for your suggestion, I tried to change my Specs-Latios to Scarf-Latios, although he now lack the power to OHKO at full health he counters many threats such as Gengar, and I could switch-in to Dragonite and Salamence attempting Dragon Dance and kill them, also Choice-Band Terrakion works perfectly with him other than Scarf-Terrakion and thanks to its Quick Attack that I can counter Scizor, Breloom who tries to kill him with priority moves at low health. I still go with Jellicent and Landorus, as I says Ebelt Landorus works perfectly in my team :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)