DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OmegaDonut said:
yamipoli informed me that the Gravity mod is actually a 2-level evasion drop. Apparently she has a friend who is capable of looking into the ROM for these things.
Evasion Modifiers:

-6: 300% (9/3)
-5: 266.7% (8/3)
-4: 233.3% (7/3)
-3: 200% (6/3)
-2: 166.7% (5/3)
-1: 133.3% (4/3)
0: 100% (3/3)
+1: 75% (3/4)
+2: 60% (3/5)
+3: 50% (3/6)
+4: 42.9% (3/7)
+5: 37.5% (3/8)
+6: 33.3% (3/9)
Aha, so that's why we got a 66.7% boost in accuracy! This both confirms our Gravity tests and the evasion percentages. :)

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It should stack in the exact same way as Light Screen, Reflect, and Tail Wind, that is to say, if you have +2 Accuracy and Gravity is in effect, you'd have 25/9 accuracy, or +177.8%.

This just happened to me in a Battle Tower Battle:

Gyarados used Stone Edge!
Gyarados' attack missed!
Kadabra used Role Play!
Kadabra copied Gyarados' ability!
Kadabra's intimidate cut Gyarados' attack!

So that means Role Play is just like Trace this gen.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
before this topic slowly dies...tested conversion2, magic coat and recycle

@ OmegaDonut/yamipoli: could yamipoli´s friend please look at the items we have problems with? namely quick claw, focus band, brightpowder, lax incense, king´s rock etc.

the one who tested magic coat was wrong with some of the moves, like swagger, worry seed, screech etc. (of course, only if there was someone who tested it before)

CONVERSION 2

1. Does it work when the user's Substitute was hit, rather than the actual user?
-> yes it works when the substitute was hit (normal -> rock when sub was hit by QA, rock -> ice when hit by ice beam)

2. Is it guaranteed to change your type, or does it pick from the types that resist the last move at random?
-> picks from the types that resist the last move at random;
when hit by ice beam I got: -> ice -> water -> fire -> steel -> fire -> ice -> steel -> fire (it changes type which means it doesn´t count itself as a possible type)

3. Does it only look at the last turn, or is it the last move that hit?
-> last move that hit (pachirisu used quick attack, milotic used ice beam, changed from ice to water type)

4. Does the attack have to connect, or is merely using it in the Conversion2 user's direction enough?
-> it has to connect, an ice beam missed and it didn´t change type

5. Added another question: Does it also consider immunities as possible types?
-> yes it does, hit by thunderbolt my porygon changed to ground type also (besides grass, dragon and electric)

6. What happens if a Pokemon that uses Conversion2 is hit by a Dragon type attack? Obviously, it would change to Steel the first time, but will C2 fail afterwards (since it must change the type and Dragon is only resisted by Steel)?
changed to steel type the first time, conversion2 failed afterwards

MAGIC COAT

Bounced back:
-> Block
-> Charm
-> Cotton Spore
-> Fake Tears
-> Feather Dance
-> Flatter
-> Growl
-> Kinesis
-> Leech Seed
-> Leer
-> Mean Look
-> Metal Sound
-> Sand Attack
-> Scary Face
-> Screech
-> Swagger
-> Tickle
-> Worry Seed
-> Yawn

Not bounced back (the move came through):
-> Curse (ghost)
-> Defog
-> Disable
-> Encore
-> Foresight
-> Guard Swap
-> Lock-On
-> Psych Up
-> Power Swap
-> Taunt
-> Torment
-> Trick
-> Role play

Didn´t test:
-> Mind Reader (probably like Lock-On)
-> Spider Web (probably like Mean Look and Block)
-> String Shot
-> Sweet Scent
-> Tail Whip

RECYCLE

Natural Gift
-> porygon used recycle; porygon found one haban berry

Pluck
-> fearow stole and ate its foe´s salac berry
-> the salac berry raised fearow´s speed
-> porygon used recycle; porygon found one salac berry

Bug Bite
-> I assume this works exactly like Pluck

Covet
-> recycle failed to find the coveted rawst berry that was used up by a burned linoone

Thief
-> recycle failed to find lefties

hmm, substitute recycling +stat berries at ¼ HP or less could be fun, some pkmn could pull it off with baton pass :)

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
What happens if a Pokemon that uses Conversion2 is hit by a Dragon type attack? Obviously, it would change to Steel the first time, but will C2 fail afterwards (since it must change the type and Dragon is only resisted by Steel)?

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
When Sunny Day is in effect, the Special Attack stat of the Pokemon having Solar Power is multiplied by 1.5. However, it also loses 1/8 of its HP per turn, rounded down.

Thank you very much.

So let me get this straight. A Modest Sunflora with Choice Specs in the sun would have

339 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 762 SpAtk

or is it

339 * 2 = 678 SpAtk

I'm not too familiar with the mechanics where too many things (like weather, stab, item) are taken into account...

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
@ "Ask a simple question..." thread:

Also, whilethough this is a bit of a silly question...
I heard a rumor a while back that seems to be at least somewhat viable. That being, thunder-wave's (TWave ONLY) paralysis rate increases by 10% every passing turn, capping off at some number around 60%/70%. Mind you, I've never stopped to test this, but in battles against azelf and the like, by the end of the battle, it seemed like azelf couldn't move at all. I specifically remember a four-turn paralysis streak.

So, is it true, or only a rumor?
Strangely enough, this situation was incredibly common with my at Netbattle and in-game Ruby. Could someone confirm or deny or test it in D/P?

Also, little tidbit, don't know if it's already known or not, but snatch doesn't just take the positive effects of a move. IE: Snatching a belly-drum still HALVES your hp. Snatching a sub is the same as making your own sub, HP-cut and all.

Edit: I'll test the Twave-thing tomorrow. Been wanting to for a while, anyway.

I was looking at the Veekun page on Haze, and it said in the "notes" that before D/P, Haze wasn't neutralized by protect/detect. ...but, in the flags or whatever, Haze is listed as currently unaffected by protect/detect. Has anyone ever tried to see if protect stops a haze from doing anything on you? Does anyone have any idea what the note means?

X-Act

Thank you very much.

So let me get this straight. A Modest Sunflora with Choice Specs in the sun would have

339 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 762 SpAtk

or is it

339 * 2 = 678 SpAtk

I'm not too familiar with the mechanics where too many things (like weather, stab, item) are taken into account...
It would have 762 SpAtk.

You could go here if you want to know how the mechanics work when more than one thing is affecting the Pokemon at the same time.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Toxic damage caps at Floor(max HP/16) * 15. I'm not sure if this was the case in older gens as well.

Wouldn't this mean Toxic will always do 1 damage to level 1 Pokemon (since it equals 0 when you divide any of their HPs by 16 and round down, but damage has a lower limit of 1)?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I badly poisoned a Lv1 Growlithe with a max HP of 12.

Turn 1 - 1 damage
Turn 2 - 2 damage
Turn 3 - 3 damage
Turn 10 - 10 damage
Turn 11 - 11 damage
Turn 12 - 12 damage and instant kill.

I guess a better formula for Toxic damage is this

max(Floor(max HP/16), 1) * min(# of turns out, 15 )

I'll try out a few other max HP counts.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
"# of turns the Pokemon has taken damage from Toxic" is probably a better way of saying it. "# of turns Pokemon has been poisoned" doesn't work because of Toxic Orb. The turn Toxic Orb poisons you, you don't take damage from poison.

Pokemon B has 12 HP.
I heal it every turn with a Max Potion.

Turn #1
Pokemon A used Toxic.
Pokemon B is badly poisoned.
Pokemon B takes 1 damage.

Turn #2
Pokemon B takes 2 damage.

Turn #3
Pokemon B takes 3 damage.

Turn #11
Pokemon B takes 11 damage.

Turn #12
Pokemon B takes 12 damage.

I tried this with a Pokemon that had 16 HP. Damage each turn went like this:
1, 2, 3, 4, ... 14, 15, 15, 15, ...

And with max HP of 31 did the same:
1, 2, 3, 4, ... 14, 15, 15, 15, ...

I was just asking Surgo, and I couldn't seem to find the following information about Protect (which was discussed in the past but apparently didn't have some tests done):

(a) Is it confirmed that the success rate of protect (if each consecutive use actually works) is 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125%, etc.?

(b) Is it confirmed that blizzard in hail hits through protect 70% of the time? Thunder was tested, but I only saw one anecdotal post about actually observing blizzard (I think).

(c) Is it confirmed that Lock-On gives moves their normal accuracy versus protect/detect?

(d) And while I'm asking, I guess it was confirmed that only STAB moves get their normal accuracy with No Guard + Protect? That's just crazy if it works that way. :P

Tested Twave thing. Didn't have time to confirm the total paralysis-rate percentage, but I did find that it does in fact NOT INCREASE in effectiveness over time. Sadly, it seems it was just a rumor after all.

obi

formerly david stone
(b) Is it confirmed that blizzard in hail hits through protect 70% of the time? Thunder was tested, but I only saw one anecdotal post about actually observing blizzard (I think).

I was under the impression that Thunder had 25% accuracy in Rain through Protect. I remember seeing some data to support this in one of the two immediately previous research threads.

A little verification/research about Insomnia since there was a comment in the status contribution thread about it, and I don't know if it was verified like Limber etc. were supposedly. I didn't try Vital Spirit, but I assume they're the same (though I don't know why you have two abilities that do the exact same thing :P).

I found that skill swapping Insomnia onto a sleeping pokemon (Noctowl, whose Insomnia I had swapped off) DOES instantly cure it. I found that putting something with Insomnia to sleep with Mold Breaker works like paralysis+Mold Breaker+Limber, i.e. the pokemon goes to sleep/gets paralyzed and then is instantly cured by its ability, with an accompanying message.

I found that if you put something to sleep after removing Insomnia, and switch it out, its sleep status will be gone with no message, before you even bring it in again.

None of this is probably important, and it may be already known, but oh well. :P

Also, Reversal is listed as a *** move. The damage formula thread says this:
Reversal*** - BP = 200 if CP is less than or equal to 3.125%, BP = 150 if CP is greater than 3.125% and less than or equal to 9.375%, BP = 100 if CP is greater than 9.375% and less than or equal to 20.3125%, BP = 80 if CP is greater than 20.3125% and less than or equal to 34.375%, BP = 40 if CP is greater than 34.375% and less than or equal to 67.1875%, and BP = 20 if CP is greater than 67.1875%, where CP = (100 × User’s current HP ÷ User’s Max HP) %.

The move description thread says this:
0% - 3.13% max HP = 200 base power
3.14% - 9.38% max HP = 150 base power
9.39% - 20.31% max HP = 100 base power
20.32% - 34.38% max HP = 80 base power
34.39% - 67.19% max HP = 40 base power
67.20% - 100% max HP = 20 base power
Veekun says this:
Below 4% = 200 power
Up to 10% = 150 power
Up to 20% = 100 power
Up to 35% = 80 power
Up to 70% = 40 power
Otherwise 20 power

Bulbapedia says the same as Veekun.

Did anyone ever test with like exactly 70% HP or something to verify which numbers are correct? >_>

...and on another unrelated note, someone said that Explosion was verified to be reduced by 75%, but if all pokemon but one faint (or something like that) it goes back to 100% power for the last surviving one. If this is true, is there a way to tell what order pokemon get hit? >_>

...edit again, Heal Bell and Aromatherapy (presumably) have incomplete descriptions in the move thread. Heal Bell cures Paralysis and presumably Aromatherapy does as well.

obi

formerly david stone
Does Heal Bell fail to heal any allied Pokemon with Soundproof, or does it not work altogether when used while a Soundproof Pokemon is on the field?

For silliness, choice-band does increase the damage of physical attacks after transform on a ditto.

Average aqua-jet damage before choice-band: 14
Average aqua-jet damage after choice-band: 21

Also, probably already known, but flinging toxic orb will NOT toxic a steel type. (Haven't tried fling with serene-grace yet, but I STILL doubt it.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)