Chandelure (Analysis)

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Chandelure

[OVERVIEW]
<p>Chandelure is one of the most powerful and versatile Pokemon in VGC 2011. With monstrous Special Attack, excellent typing, powerful dual STAB attacks, access to Trick Room, and good Speed and defenses, Chandelure is a threat to any team. While it is weak to moves such as Rock Slide and Earthquake, and is outsped by many common Pokemon, it can overcome these obstacles with proper support. Overall, Chandelure is an absolute powerhouse, and can be a huge asset to any team.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Heat Wave / Overheat
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Protect / Imprison
nature: Modest
ability: Flash Fire
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Chandelure makes for a fantastic Trick Room user, with its middling Speed allowing it to set up Trick Room against faster teams and outspeed and attack other Trick Room teams with its powerful dual STAB attacks. Heat Wave and Shadow Ball are Chandelure's dual STAB options, attaining almost perfect coverage and allowing it to hit all other Trick Room users for super effective damage, making it a formidable weapon against both faster teams and opposing Trick Room teams. Protect allows Chandelure to avoid taking damage from its many weaknesses for a turn, giving its partner a turn to eliminate any Pokemon that may be threatening it. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible while retaining some decent bulk, letting it take most neutral hits and outspeed most Trick Room Pokemon. Focus Sash allows Chandelure to always survive an attack, letting it bypass some of its weaknesses and always set up Trick Room or fire off a powerful attack. Flash Fire makes opposing Chandelure very wary of using Heat Wave, which can help a partner weak to Fire-type attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Overheat is an option over Heat Wave purely because it allows Chandelure to beat Amoonguss, OHKOing most sets and making Chandelure a much more effective check to Trick Room teams. However, the Special Attack drop after using it, along with the lack of spread damage, usually makes it the inferior option. Chandelure can run Imprison over Protect to completely stop Trick Room from being set up while Chandelure is alive. The opposing team can just attack Chandelure while it uses Imprison, so it's not a foolproof strategy. If Imprison is used, Chandelure should run maximum Speed with a Timid nature, allowing it to outpace almost all other Chandelure and shut them down with Imprison right off the bat. A Timid nature also allows Chandelure to outspeed Adamant Krookodile, and severely damage it with Heat Wave or Overheat.</p>

<p>A Quiet nature with 0 Speed IVs allows Chandelure to outspeed more Pokemon with Trick Room in effect, but reduces Chandelure's ability to check other Trick Room teams with its relatively high Speed stat. While Chandelure can outspeed many Pokemon that would normally outspeed it in Trick Room with a Quiet nature, a Modest nature allows Chandelure to take advantage of its relatively high Speed to provide an excellent check to other Trick Room teams, outspeeding and doing severe damage to most Trick Room users with its STAB Shadow Ball. Chandelure makes for an excellent lead for faster Trick Room teams, able to set up Trick Room against speedier teams and hit other Trick Room users hard with STAB Shadow Ball. Pokemon such as Scrafty, Samurott, and Emboar pair well with Chandelure due to their middling Speed, allowing them to hit hard against opposing Trick Room teams and faster teams. Conkeldurr also makes a great partner, helping to KO both Terrakion and Hydeigon with its STAB Fighting-type moves. Chandelure has weaknesses to Rock Slide and Earthquake, so a Water- or Fighting-type partner such as Samurott or Scrafty can also take advantage of Trick Room and hit most Rock Slide and Earthquake users very hard with their super effective STAB attacks. Chandelure is also weak to Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet, so Amoonguss can prove very useful, redirecting those moves to itself using Rage Powder, and taking advantage of Trick Room to outspeed and use Spore on the opponent.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Psychic
ability: Flame Body
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Chandelure is an excellent check to many faster teams, doing severe damage to many frailer Pokemon with its powerful dual STAB. Overheat gives Chandelure a strong STAB move that deals excellent damage to most offensive Pokemon, always OHKOing the genies and Amoonguss. Shadow Ball forms the second half of Chandelure's dual STAB, and allows it to do excellent damage to most Trick Room users. Heat Wave allows Chandelure to do some powerful spread damage, hitting anything that doesn't resist it quite hard. Hidden Power Ice allows Chandelure to deal with Dragon-types such as Hydreigon much more easily. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible but still outspeed the entire metagame, as well as many Pokemon under Tailwind, with a Choice Scarf attached.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>A Timid nature can be used to outspeed other Scarfed Pokemon such as Adamant Krookodile and opposing Modest Chandelure, but the loss in power is noticeable, and the increase in Speed is largely unnecessary. Alternately, a spread of 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe can be used with a Modest nature, which still outspeeds the genies while giving Chandelure more bulk. With it, though, Chandelure loses to other Scarfed Pokemon, and doesn't have the ability to outspeed as many Pokemon under Tailwind as it does with 252 Speed EVs. Psychic does more damage to Terrakion than any other move Chandelure can carry, doing over 80% to 4 HP Terrakion. Choice Scarf Chandelure has the ability to take out many faster Pokemon with its huge Special Attack, so slower Pokemon can take advantage of Choice Scarf Chandelure as a partner. Scrafty has weaknesses to many common attacks and is quite slow, but Chandelure's Overheat OHKOes the genies, and a combination of Fake Out and Hidden Power Ice OHKOes Archeops, allowing Scrafty to attack much more effectively.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Flash Fire can feasibly be run over Flame Body on the Choice Scarf set, but it only really helps against opposing Chandelure, as Fire-type attacks are quite uncommon in VGC 2011. Flash Fire gives Chandelure a boost should the opposing Chandelure use Heat Wave, but it's far more likely that the opposing Chandelure will just use Shadow Ball, making Flash Fire almost useless. Fire Gem or Ghost Gem can both help Chandelure against specific threats. A Fire Gem-boosted Heat Wave OHKOes Amoonguss, so Chandelure doesn't have to use the single-targeting Fire Blast, and a Ghost Gem-boosted Shadow Ball OHKOs every Ghost- and Psychic-type in the metagame, making Chandelure especially potent against opposing Trick Room teams. Taunt is an option to stop opposing setup, but with Chandelure's Speed, it'll only be able to stop Trick Room, and Imprison does that very effectively already without being blocked by Mental Herb.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp may seem like a good idea to cripple Pokemon that might threaten Chandelure, but when Chandelure has so much attacking power at its disposal, it's much more effective to just attack and KO the opponent than attempting to cripple them. Fire Blast can be run over Overheat on any of the sets to avoid the Special Attack drop, but its lower accuracy and inability to guarantee an OHKO on the genies and Amoonguss generally makes it the inferior choice. Chandelure can run Flame Charge to increase its Speed without having to resort to using a Choice Scarf, but Trick Room does that very effectively already, and Tailwind is a far more effective way to increase Speed. Chandelure can use Choice Specs to make its attacks incredibly powerful, but loses the ability to set up Trick Room, and must be used in Tailwind or Trick Room due to its low Speed. Chandelure can become a powerful Tailwind abuser with its middling Speed and huge Special Attack, and can form the core of a strategy involving both Tailwind and Trick Room.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Users of Rock Slide or Earthquake, such as Terrakion and Landorus, threaten to quickly remove Chandelure from the match. However, they need to be careful, as Fake Out users such as Scrafty can immobilize them for a turn and allow Chandelure to set up Trick Room, outspeeding and hitting them hard the next turn. While Chandelure's incredible attacking prowess makes it much less prone to Taunt than other Trick Room users, an untimely Taunt can stop Chandelure from setting up Trick Room, leaving it susceptible to faster attackers which can take advantage of its many weaknesses. Hydreigon resists both of Chandelure's STAB moves, only fearing a super effective Hidden Power, and can OHKO in return with its STAB Dark Pulse. Sucker Punch users, such as Bisharp, Druddigon, and Heatmor, can threaten to KO Chandelure before it moves, even if Trick Room is up, although they must be wary of a Rage Powder user, which can redirect and neutralize any Sucker Punch.</p>

• A Timid nature can be used to outspeed other Scarfed Pokemon like Adamant Krookodile and opposing Modest Chandelure, but the loss in power is noticeable, and the increase in Speed is largely unnecessary.

Chandelure with Timid is very useful, considering breeding for 31 IVs and maxing speed out, Chandelure becomes fast as hell. Mind you, lots of stuff is still faster, but it can really boost Chandelure up.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Chandelure with Timid is very useful, considering breeding for 31 IVs and maxing speed out, Chandelure becomes fast as hell. Mind you, lots of stuff is still faster, but it can really boost Chandelure up.
It doesn't outspeed anything important, and more power=more fun. Regarding the analysis, on the Scarf set, I don't see the need for Fire Blast. While it does to more damage, running Overheat is the only way to guarantee the KO on the genies. I'd also mention Energy Ball in Additional Comments, as it can be useful against the rare Shell Smash Carracosta, and it does the largest possible damage to Terakion, who is one of its biggest counters. Fire Blast should be gotten rid of on the TR set since Chandelure pretty much needs it. I'd also split the Trick Room set and the Imprison set apart, as they require different evs.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Those are good points, and I'll revise the analysis accordingly.

How are the Trick Room and Imprison set different sets? That set is meant to be strong against both Trick Room teams and faster teams, and Imprison is just a way to help stop Trick Room from being setup. Chandelure shouldn't be using a Quiet nature and a 0 Speed IV, even with a Trick Room set, because it still doesn't outspeed much with that, and loses its Speed advantage over other Trick Roomers.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overheat is by far better than Fire Blast, it is the only way to 1hko both the genies and Amoongus.

Also Psychic does more to Terrakion than Energy Ball, and is what I personally run in the fourth slot.

EDIT: I agree you don't need two sets, but I would mention the pros and cons of going both up and down from just neutral, 0, 31.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Choice Scarf Chandelure has the ability to take out many faster pokemon with its huge Special Attack, so many slower pokemon can take advantage of Choice Scarf Chandelure as a partner. Scrafty has weaknesses to many common attacks and is slower than many pokemon, but a combination of Fake Out and Chandelure's Fire Blast or Hidden Power Ice can KO the genies and Archeops, allowing Scrafty to attack much more effectively. Volcarona is weak to Rock Slide and is slower than many Rock Slide users, but with Choice Scarf Chandelure eliminating many Rock Slide users, it is able to attack much more effectively.
First off:
Scrafty has weaknesses to many common attacks and is slower than many pokemon, but a combination of Fake Out and Chandelure's Fire Blast or Hidden Power Ice can KO the genies and Archeops.
Overheat OHKOS the geniis, and HP Ice + Fake Out only KOs Archeops if they both role max damage. Fake Out isn't needed against the geniis, and the latter part is mostly untrue.

Volcarona is weak to Rock Slide and is slower than many Rock Slide users, but with Choice Scarf Chandelure eliminating many Rock Slide users, it is able to attack much more effectively.
Terrakion and Archeops are both not OHKOed by Scarf Chandelure and hit both hard with Rock Slide (even with Archeops' Defeatist activated, especially considering that Volcarona is x4 weak to Rock Slide). They don't seem like the best of partners.

Also mention Conkeldurr as a partner, as it's slow, Mach Punch and Rock Slide help a lot against Focus Sash users, and Mach Punch + Shadow Ball KO Terrakion.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Alaka said:
Overheat is by far better than Fire Blast, it is the only way to 1hko both the genies and Amoongus.

Also Psychic does more to Terrakion than Energy Ball, and is what I personally run in the fourth slot.

EDIT: I agree you don't need two sets, but I would mention the pros and cons of going both up and down from just neutral, 0, 31.
You're right, and I've replaced Fire Blast with Overheat on all of the sets and relegated Fire Blast to OO. I've put in Psychic as the primary slash for the fourth slot on the Choice Scarf set, although I've kept Heat Wave slashed because a fast and powerful spread move like that can be quite useful at times. I've gone into depth on the pros and cons of a Quiet vs. a Modest nature on the Trick Room set.

Darkmalice said:
First off:

Overheat OHKOs the geniis, and HP Ice + Fake Out only KOs Archeops if they both role max damage. Fake Out isn't needed against the geniis, and the latter part is mostly untrue.

Terrakion and Archeops are both not OHKOed by Scarf Chandelure and hit both hard with Rock Slide (even with Archeops' Defeatist activated, especially considering that Volcarona is x4 weak to Rock Slide). They don't seem like the best of partners.

Also mention Conkeldurr as a partner, as it's slow, Mach Punch and Rock Slide help a lot against Focus Sash users, and Mach Punch + Shadow Ball KO Terrakion.
Hidden Power Ice + Fake Out actually has a >90% chance to OHKO Archeops, maybe even 100% (I haven't taken the time to calc it that far). Suffice it to say that assuming Scrafty is Adamant with 252 Attack, Archeops will die first turn unless severe hax strikes. I've rewritten that part, though.

The part about Volcarona is really stupid and I don't know why I had it in there in the first place. I've removed it, and thanks for pointing it out. I've also mentioned Conkeldurr as a partner for the Trick Room set.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Woah I did not intend for it to be slashed with Heat Wave. Heat Wave should be the unslashed #1 move imo. It's HP Ice I meant for it to be slashed with, since HP Ice pretty much just covers Hydrageion, I'd rather cover more overall and just make sure my partner can take down hydra.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I misunderstood you. The order is now:

Overheat
Shadow Ball
Heat Wave
Hidden Power Ice / Psychic

I'm sorry for the confusion. As for the ordering of the moves, I really think Overheat and Shadow Ball's ability to wreck Trick Room merits their position before Heat Wave, which doesn't have such an overpowering effect on a playstyle, although it is quite a powerful move.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I really disagree. I'm perfectly willing to change it, but I think Imprison is just part of a Trick Room set, to allow it to do well against other Trick Room teams. I see Imprison as an addition to the set, rather than having a separate goal from a dedicated Trick Room set.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
ghost jewel is a great item allowing ohko of jelly and other stupidly bulky mons.
idunno where you want to put it though O_o

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Fire Gem or Ghost Gem can both help Chandelure against specific threats. A Fire Gem boosted Heat Wave OHKOs Amoonguss, so Chandelure doesn't have to use the single-targeting Fire Blast, and a Ghost Gem boosted Shadow Ball OHKOs every Ghost- and Psychic-type in the metagame, making Chandelure especially powerful against opposing Trick Room teams.
Is this sufficient?
I already had this in OO lol
Is there anything else Fire Gem helps with?

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[OVERVIEW]
<p>Chandelure is one of the most powerful and versatile pokemon in VGC 2011. With monstrous Special Attack, an excellent dual STAB typing, powerful dual STAB attacks, access to Trick Room, and good Speed and defenses, Chandelure is a threat to any team. While Chandelure is certainly formidable, it has many weaknesses to common attacks like such as Rock Slide and Earthquake, and is outsped by many common Pokemon, so it needs proper support to function well. Overall, though, Chandelure is an absolute powerhouse, and can be a huge asset to any team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Chandelure makes for a fantastic Trick Room user, with its middling Speed allowing it to set up Trick Room against faster teams and to outspeed and attack other Trick Room teams with its powerful dual STAB attacks. Heat Wave and Shadow Ball are Chandelure's dual STAB options, attaining almost perfect coverage and allowing it to hit all other Trick Room users for super effective damage, making it a formidable weapon against both faster teams and opposing Trick Room teams. Protect allows Chandelure to avoid taking damage from its many weaknesses for a turn, giving its partner a turn to eliminate any Pokemon that may be threatening it. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible, and to retain some decent bulk, allowing it to take most neutral hits, while outspeeding most Trick Room Pokemon. Focus Sash allows Chandelure to always survive an attack, letting it bypass some of its weaknesses, and always set up Trick Room or attack with its dual STAB. Flame Body allows Chandelure to have the chance to cripple an opponent if hit by a contact move, which severely hurts many of the Pokemon that would otherwise beat it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Overheat is an option over Heat Wave purely because it allows Chandelure to beat Amoonguss, OHKOing most sets, making Chandelure a much more effective check to Trick Room teams. However, the Special Attack drop after using it, along with the lack of spread damage, usually makes it the inferior option. Chandelure can run Imprison over Protect, to completely stop Trick Room from being set up while Chandelure is alive. The opposing team can just attack Chandelure while it uses Imprisons, so it's not foolproof, but it is a powerful option.</p>

<p>A Quiet nature with a 0 Speed IV allows Chandelure to outspeed more Pokemon with Trick Room in effect, but reduces Chandelure's ability to check other Trick Room teams with its relatively high Speed stat. While Chandelure can outspeed many Pokemon that would normally outspeed it in Trick Room with a Quiet nature, a Modest nature allows Chandelure to take advantage of its relatively high Speed to provide an excellent check to other Trick Room teams, outspeeding and doing severe damage to most Trick Room users with its super effective STAB Shadow Ball. Chandelure makes for an excellent lead for faster Trick Room teams, able to set up Trick Room against faster teams and hit other Trick Room users hard with its super effective STAB Shadow Ball. Pokemon like such as Scrafty, Samurott, and Emboar pair well with Chandelure, with their middling Speed tier allowing them to hit hard against opposing Trick Room teams and faster teams. Conkeldurr also makes a great partner, with its Rock Slide and Mach Punch eliminating many Focus Sash users, while its Mach Punch along with Chandelure's Shadow Ball KOs Terrakion.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Chandelure is an excellent check to many faster teams, doing severe damage to many frailer pokemon with its powerful dual STAB. Overheat gives Chandelure a strong STAB move to do excellent damage to most offensive pokemon, always OHKOing the genies and Amoonguss. Shadow Ball forms the second half of Chandelure's dual STAB and allows it to do excellent damage to most Trick Room users. Heat Wave allows Chandelure to provide some powerful spread coverage damage, doing good damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Hidden Power Ice allows Chandelure to deal with Dragon-types like such as Hydreigon much more easily. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible but still outspeed the entire metagame, and many Pokemon under Tailwind, with a Choice Scarf attached.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>A Timid nature can be used to outspeed other Scarfed Pokemon like such as Adamant Krookodile and opposing Modest Chandelure, but the loss in power is noticeable, and the increase in Speed is largely unnecessary. Alternately, a spread of 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe can be used with a Modest nature, which still outspeeds the genies, but gives Chandelure more bulk. With it, though, Chandelure loses to other Scarfed Pokemon, and doesn't have the ability to outspeed as many Pokemon under Tailwind as it does with 252 Speed EVs. Psychic does more damage to Terrakion than any other move Chandelure can carry, doing over 80% to 4 HP Terrakion. Choice Scarf Chandelure has the ability to take out many faster Pokemon with its huge Special Attack, so many slower Pokemon can take advantage of Choice Scarf Chandelure as a partner. Scrafty has weaknesses to many common attacks, and is slower than many pokemon, but Chandelure's Overheat OHKOes the genies, and a combination of Fake Out and Hidden Power Ice OHKOs Archeops, allowing Scrafty to attack much more effectively.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Flash Fire can feasibly be run over Flame Body on any of the sets, but it only really helps against opposing Chandelure, as Fire-type attacks are quite uncommon in VGC 2011. Flash Fire gives Chandelure a boost should the opposing Chandelure use Heat Wave, but it's far more likely that the opposing Chandelure will just use Shadow Ball, making Flash Fire almost useless. Fire Gem or Ghost Gem can both help Chandelure against specific threats. A Fire Gem-boosted Heat Wave OHKOs Amoonguss, so Chandelure doesn't have to use the single-targeting Fire Blast, and a Ghost Gem-boosted Shadow Ball OHKOs every Ghost- and Psychic-type in the metagame, making Chandelure especially powerful against opposing Trick Room teams. Taunt is an option to stop opposing setup, but with Chandelure's Speed, it'll only be able to stop Trick Room, and Imprison does that very effectively already, and isn't blocked by Mental Herb.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp may seem like a good idea to cripple Pokemon that might threaten Chandelure, but when Chandelure has so much attacking power at its disposal, it's much more effective to just attacking and KOing the opponent than attempting to cripple them. Fire Blast can be run over Overheat on any of the sets to avoid the Special Attack drop, but its lower accuracy and inability to guarantee an OHKO on the genies and Amoonguss generally makes it the inferior choice. Chandelure can run Flame Charge, to increase its Speed without being locked into a Choice Scarf, but Trick Room does that very effectively already, and Tailwind is a far more effective way to increase Speed. Chandelure can use Choice Specs to make its attacks incredibly powerful, but loses the ability to setup Trick Room, and must be used in Tailwind or Trick Room due to its low Speed. Chandelure can become a powerful Tailwind abuser with its middling Speed and huge Special Attack, and can form the core of a strategy involving both Tailwind and Trick Room.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
<p>Rock Slide and Earthquake users like Users of Rock Slide and Earthquake, such as Terrakion and Landorus, threaten to quickly remove Chandelure from the match. However, they need to be careful, as Fake Out users like such as Scrafty can immobilize them for a turn and allow Chandelure to setup Trick Room, outspeeding and hitting them hard the next turn. A Water-type or Fighting-type like Samurott or Conkeldurr can also take advantage of Trick Room and hit most Rock Slide and Earthquake users very hard with their super effective STAB. (You don't need to dwell on what counters Chandelure's counters in such detail. One example, such as Scrafty, is enough) While Chandelure's incredible attacking prowess makes it much less prone to Taunt than other Trick Room users, an untimely Taunt can stop Chandelure from setting up Trick Room, and leave it susceptible to faster attackers which can take advantage of its many weaknesses. Amoonguss can prove very useful for this reason, redirecting a Taunt or a damaging attack aimed at Chandelure with Rage Powder, and taking advantage of Trick Room to outspeed and use Spore on the opponent.</p>

<p>Hydreigon resists both of Chandelure's STAB moves, only fearing a super effective Hidden Power, and can OHKO in return with its STAB Dark Pulse. A Fighting-type partner like Scrafty or Conkeldurr can help tremendously with this, OHKOing or doing severe damage to Hydreigon with their super effective STAB. Sucker Punch users like such as Bisharp, Druddigon, or and Heatmor can threaten to KO Chandelure before it moves, even if Trick Room is up. Amoonguss can redirect and neutralize Sucker Punch with Rage Powder, while a Mach Punch user like Conkeldurr can outspeed and OHKO many abusers of Sucker Punch when Trick Room is up.</p>

You kept on mentioning Chandelure's partners that help it deal with its counters in the [Checks and Counters] section. That section is for describing how Chandelure's counters deal with it; not the other way around. You can, however, mention once or twice what Chandelure's counters need to watch out for. I have not removed Scrafty for this reason.

Otherwise, good job.

GP 1 / 2

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I understand the problem now, and I've moved those points to the additional comments section, as well as implementing all of your other changes. Thanks for the check.

Mention that if you use Imprison you will want to use Timid with max Speed so you try to losing speed wars and possibly win speed ties which are always important. Another thing is for the first set, what does Flame Body have over Flash Fire if you have Focus Sash? It also lets you switch in against other Chandelure and get a boost against them, especially if you use something like Amoonguss which is weak to Fire.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
I missed that, Flame Body should absolutely not be used on any set with a focus sash, losing your sash to other chands spamming heat wave is not a good thing.

Dual STAB, dual STAB, sounds like I'm gonna be shivved! Anyway, here's an amateur check.

Deletions
Additions/Corrections
(Comments)

[OVERVIEW]
<p>Chandelure is one of the most powerful and versatile Pokemon in VGC 2011. With monstrous Special Attack, an excellent typing, powerful dual STAB attacks, access to Trick Room, and good Speed and defenses, Chandelure is a threat to any team. While such as Rock Slide and Earthquake, and is outsped by many common Pokemon, so it needs proper support to function well. Overall, though, Chandelure is an absolute powerhouse, and can be a huge asset to any team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Chandelure makes for a fantastic Trick Room user, with its middling Speed allowing it to set up Trick Room against faster teams and outspeed and attack other Trick Room teams with its powerful dual STAB attacks. Heat Wave and Shadow Ball are Chandelure's dual STAB options, attaining almost perfect coverage and allowing it to hit all other Trick Room users for super effective damage, making it a formidable weapon against both faster teams and opposing Trick Room teams. Protect allows Chandelure to avoid taking damage from its many weaknesses for a turn, giving its partner a turn to eliminate any Pokemon that may be threatening it. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible, and while retaining some decent bulk, allowing it to take most neutral hits, while and outspeeding most Trick Room Pokemon. Focus Sash allows Chandelure to always survive an attack, letting it bypass some of its weaknesses and always set up Trick Room or attack with its dual STAB. Flame Body allows Chandelure to have the chance to cripple an opponent if hit by a contact move, which severely hurts many of the Pokemon that would otherwise beat it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Overheat is an option over Heat Wave purely because it allows Chandelure to beat Amoonguss, OHKOing most sets, and making Chandelure a much more effective check to Trick Room teams. However, the Special Attack drop after using it, along with the lack of spread damage, usually makes it the inferior option. Chandelure can run Imprison over Protect, to completely stop Trick Room from being set up while Chandelure is alive. The opposing team can just attack Chandelure while it uses Imprison, so it's not foolproof, but it is a powerful option.</p>

<p>A Quiet nature with 0 Speed IVs allows Chandelure to outspeed more Pokemon with Trick Room in effect, but reduces Chandelure's ability to check other Trick Room teams with its relatively high Speed stat. While Chandelure can outspeed many Pokemon that would normally outspeed it in Trick Room with a Quiet nature, a Modest nature allows Chandelure to take advantage of its relatively high Speed to provide an excellent check to other Trick Room teams, outspeeding and doing severe damage to most Trick Room users with its super effective STAB Shadow Ball. Chandelure makes for an excellent lead for faster Trick Room teams, able to set up Trick Room against faster teams and hit other Trick Room users hard with STAB Shadow Ball. Pokemon such as Scrafty, Samurott, and Emboar pair well with Chandelure, with their middling Speed allowing them to hit hard against opposing Trick Room teams and faster teams. Conkeldurr also makes a great partner, with its Rock Slide and Mach Punch eliminating many Focus Sash users, while Mach Punch along with Chandelure's Shadow Ball KOes Terrakion, and its Drain Punch or Hammer Arm OHKOes Hydreigon, which easily takes any of the moves on this set. (this sentence may be a little rambling) Chandelure has weaknesses to Rock Slide and Earthquake, so a Water- or Fighting-type partner such as Samurott or Scrafty can also take advantage of Trick Room and hit most Rock Slide and Earthquake users very hard with their super effective STAB attacks. Chandelure is also weak to Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet, so Amoonguss can prove very useful, redirecting those moves to itself using Rage Powder, and taking advantage of Trick Room to outspeed and use Spore on the opponent.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Chandelure is an excellent check to many faster teams, doing severe damage to many frailer Pokemon with its powerful dual STAB. Overheat gives Chandelure a strong STAB move to do excellent damage to most offensive Pokemon, always OHKOing the genies and Amoonguss. Shadow Ball forms the second half of Chandelure's dual STAB and allows it to do excellent damage to most Trick Room users. Heat Wave allows Chandelure to do some powerful spread damage, doing good damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Hidden Power Ice allows Chandelure to deal with Dragon-types such as Hydreigon much more easily. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible but still outspeed the entire metagame, and many Pokemon under Tailwind, with a Choice Scarf attached.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>A Timid nature can be used to outspeed other Scarfed Pokemon such as Adamant Krookodile and opposing Modest Chandelure, but the loss in power is noticeable, and the increase in Speed is largely unnecessary. Alternately, a spread of 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe can be used with a Modest nature, which still outspeeds the genies, but gives Chandelure more bulk. With it, though, Chandelure loses to other Scarfed Pokemon, and doesn't have the ability to outspeed as many Pokemon under Tailwind as it does with 252 Speed EVs. Psychic does more damage to Terrakion than any other move Chandelure can carry, doing over 80% to 4 HP Terrakion. Choice Scarf Chandelure has the ability to take out many faster Pokemon with its huge Special Attack, so many slower Pokemon can take advantage of Choice Scarf Chandelure as a partner. Scrafty has weaknesses to many common attacks and is quite slow, but Chandelure's Overheat OHKOes the genies, and a combination of Fake Out and Hidden Power Ice OHKOes Archeops, allowing Scrafty to attack much more effectively.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Flash Fire can feasibly be run over Flame Body on any of the sets, but it only really helps against opposing Chandelure, as Fire-type attacks are quite uncommon in VGC 2011. Flash Fire gives Chandelure a boost should the opposing Chandelure use Heat Wave, but it's far more likely that the opposing Chandelure will just use Shadow Ball, making Flash Fire almost useless. Fire Gem or Ghost Gem can both help Chandelure against specific threats. A Fire Gem-boosted Heat Wave OHKOes Amoonguss, so Chandelure doesn't have to use the single-targeting Fire Blast, and a Ghost Gem-boosted Shadow Ball OHKOs every Ghost- and Psychic-type in the metagame, making Chandelure especially powerful against opposing Trick Room teams. Taunt is an option to stop opposing setup, but with Chandelure's Speed, it'll only be able to stop Trick Room, and Imprison does that very effectively already, and isn't without being blocked by Mental Herb.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp may seem like a good idea to cripple Pokemon that might threaten Chandelure, but when Chandelure has so much attacking power at its disposal, it's much more effective to just attack and KO the opponent than attempting to cripple them. Fire Blast can be run over Overheat on any of the sets to avoid the Special Attack drop, but its lower accuracy and inability to guarantee an OHKO on the genies and Amoonguss generally makes it the inferior choice. Chandelure can run Flame Charge, (no comma) to increase its Speed without being locked into a Choice Scarf, but Trick Room does that very effectively already, and Tailwind is a far more effective way to increase Speed. Chandelure can use Choice Specs to make its attacks incredibly powerful, but loses the ability to set up (space) Trick Room, and must be used in Tailwind or Trick Room due to its low Speed. Chandelure can become a powerful Tailwind abuser with its middling Speed and huge Special Attack, and can form the core of a strategy involving both Tailwind and Trick Room.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
<p>Users of Rock Slide or Earthquake, such as Terrakion and Landorus, threaten to quickly remove Chandelure from the match. However, they need to be careful, as Fake Out users such as Scrafty can immobilize them for a turn and allow Chandelure to set up Trick Room, outspeeding and hitting them hard the next turn. While Chandelure's incredible attacking prowess makes it much less prone to Taunt than other Trick Room users, an untimely Taunt can stop Chandelure from setting up Trick Room, and leave it susceptible to faster attackers which can take advantage of its many weaknesses. Hydreigon resists both of Chandelure's STAB moves, only fearing a super effective Hidden Power, and can OHKO in return with its STAB Dark Pulse. Sucker Punch users such as Bisharp, Druddigon, and Heatmor can threaten to KO Chandelure before it moves, even if Trick Room is up, although they must be wary of a Rage Powder user, which can redirect and neutralize any Sucker Punch.</p>

Not too many changes...

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

additions
removals

[OVERVIEW]
<p>Chandelure is one of the most powerful and versatile Pokemon in VGC 2011. With monstrous Special Attack, excellent typing, powerful dual STAB attacks, access to Trick Room, and good Speed and defenses, Chandelure is a threat to any team. While it is weak to moves such as Rock Slide and Earthquake, and is outsped by many common Pokemon, so it needs it can overcome these obstacles with proper support. to function well. Overall, though, Chandelure is an absolute powerhouse, and can be a huge asset to any team.</p>

[SET]
ability: Flash Fire

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Chandelure makes for a fantastic Trick Room user, with its middling Speed allowing it to set up Trick Room against faster teams and outspeed and attack other Trick Room teams with its powerful dual STAB attacks. Heat Wave and Shadow Ball are Chandelure's dual STAB options, attaining almost perfect coverage and allowing it to hit all other Trick Room users for super effective damage, making it a formidable weapon against both faster teams and opposing Trick Room teams. Protect allows Chandelure to avoid taking damage from its many weaknesses for a turn, giving its partner a turn to eliminate any Pokemon that may be threatening it. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible while retaining some decent bulk, allowing letting it to take most neutral hits and outspeed most Trick Room Pokemon. Focus Sash allows Chandelure to always survive an attack, letting it bypass some of its weaknesses and always set up Trick Room or attack with its dual STAB fire off a powerful attack. Flash Fire makes opposing Chandelure very wary of using Heat Wave, which can help with a partner weak to Fire-type attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Overheat is an option over Heat Wave purely because it allows Chandelure to beat Amoonguss, OHKOing most sets and making Chandelure a much more effective check to Trick Room teams. However, the Special Attack drop after using it, along with the lack of spread damage, usually makes it the inferior option. Chandelure can run Imprison over Protect, Protect to completely stop Trick Room from being set up while Chandelure is alive. The opposing team can just attack Chandelure while it uses Imprison, so it's not a foolproof strategy, but it is a powerful option. If Imprison is used, Chandelure should run maximum Speed with a Timid nature, allowing it to outpace almost all other Chandelure and shut them down with Imprison right off the bat.</p>

<p>A Quiet nature with 0 Speed IVs allows Chandelure to outspeed more Pokemon with Trick Room in effect, but reduces Chandelure's ability to check other Trick Room teams with its relatively high Speed stat. While Chandelure can outspeed many Pokemon that would normally outspeed it in Trick Room with a Quiet nature, a Modest nature allows Chandelure to take advantage of its relatively high Speed to provide an excellent check to other Trick Room teams, outspeeding and doing severe damage to most Trick Room users with its super effective STAB Shadow Ball. Chandelure makes for an excellent lead for faster Trick Room teams, able to set up Trick Room against faster speedier teams and hit other Trick Room users hard with STAB Shadow Ball. Pokemon such as Scrafty, Samurott, and Emboar pair well with Chandelure, Chandelure due to with their middling Speed, allowing them to hit hard against opposing Trick Room teams and faster teams. Conkeldurr also makes a great partner, helping to KO both Terrakion and Hydeigon with its STAB Fighting-type moves. Chandelure has weaknesses to Rock Slide and Earthquake, so a Water- or Fighting-type partner such as Samurott or Scrafty can also take advantage of Trick Room and hit most Rock Slide and Earthquake users very hard with their super effective STAB attacks. Chandelure is also weak to Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet, so Amoonguss can prove very useful, redirecting those moves to itself using Rage Powder, and taking advantage of Trick Room to outspeed and use Spore on the opponent.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Chandelure is an excellent check to many faster teams, doing severe damage to many frailer Pokemon with its powerful dual STAB. Overheat gives Chandelure a strong STAB move to do that deals excellent damage to most offensive Pokemon, always OHKOing the genies and Amoonguss. Shadow Ball forms the second half of Chandelure's dual STAB, and allows it to do excellent damage to most Trick Room users. Heat Wave allows Chandelure to do some powerful spread damage, doing good damage to hitting anything that doesn't resist it quite hard. Hidden Power Ice allows Chandelure to deal with Dragon-types such as Hydreigon much more easily. The EVs and nature allow Chandelure to hit as hard as possible but still outspeed the entire metagame, and as well as many Pokemon under Tailwind, with a Choice Scarf attached.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>A Timid nature can be used to outspeed other Scarfed Pokemon such as Adamant Krookodile and opposing Modest Chandelure, but the loss in power is noticeable, and the increase in Speed is largely unnecessary. Alternately, a spread of 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe can be used with a Modest nature, which still outspeeds the genies, but gives genies while giving Chandelure more bulk. With it, though, Chandelure loses to other Scarfed Pokemon, and doesn't have the ability to outspeed as many Pokemon under Tailwind as it does with 252 Speed EVs. Psychic does more damage to Terrakion than any other move Chandelure can carry, doing over 80% to 4 HP Terrakion. Choice Scarf Chandelure has the ability to take out many faster Pokemon with its huge Special Attack, so many slower Pokemon can take advantage of Choice Scarf Chandelure as a partner. Scrafty has weaknesses to many common attacks and is quite slow, but Chandelure's Overheat OHKOes the genies, and a combination of Fake Out and Hidden Power Ice OHKOes Archeops, allowing Scrafty to attack much more effectively.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Flash Fire can feasibly be run over Flame Body on any of the sets, but it only really helps against opposing Chandelure, as Fire-type attacks are quite uncommon in VGC 2011. Flash Fire gives Chandelure a boost should the opposing Chandelure use Heat Wave, but it's far more likely that the opposing Chandelure will just use Shadow Ball, making Flash Fire almost useless. Fire Gem or Ghost Gem can both help Chandelure against specific threats. A Fire Gem-boosted Heat Wave OHKOes Amoonguss, so Chandelure doesn't have to use the single-targeting Fire Blast, and a Ghost Gem-boosted Shadow Ball OHKOs every Ghost- and Psychic-type in the metagame, making Chandelure especially powerful potent against opposing Trick Room teams. Taunt is an option to stop opposing setup, but with Chandelure's Speed, it'll only be able to stop Trick Room, and Imprison does that very effectively already without being blocked by Mental Herb.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp may seem like a good idea to cripple Pokemon that might threaten Chandelure, but when Chandelure has so much attacking power at its disposal, it's much more effective to just attack and KO the opponent than attempting to cripple them. Fire Blast can be run over Overheat on any of the sets to avoid the Special Attack drop, but its lower accuracy and inability to guarantee an OHKO on the genies and Amoonguss generally makes it the inferior choice. Chandelure can run Flame Charge to increase its Speed without being locked into having to resort to using a Choice Scarf, but Trick Room does that very effectively already, and Tailwind is a far more effective way to increase Speed. Chandelure can use Choice Specs to make its attacks incredibly powerful, but loses the ability to set up Trick Room, and must be used in Tailwind or Trick Room due to its low Speed. Chandelure can become a powerful Tailwind abuser with its middling Speed and huge Special Attack, and can form the core of a strategy involving both Tailwind and Trick Room.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
<p>Users of Rock Slide or Earthquake, such as Terrakion and Landorus, threaten to quickly remove Chandelure from the match. However, they need to be careful, as Fake Out users such as Scrafty can immobilize them for a turn and allow Chandelure to set up Trick Room, outspeeding and hitting them hard the next turn. While Chandelure's incredible attacking prowess makes it much less prone to Taunt than other Trick Room users, an untimely Taunt can stop Chandelure from setting up Trick Room, and leave leaving it susceptible to faster attackers which can take advantage of its many weaknesses. Hydreigon resists both of Chandelure's STAB moves, only fearing a super effective Hidden Power, and can OHKO in return with its STAB Dark Pulse. Sucker Punch users, such as Bisharp, Druddigon, and Heatmor, can threaten to KO Chandelure before it moves, even if Trick Room is up, although they must be wary of a Rage Powder user, which can redirect and neutralize any Sucker Punch.</p>

excellent job ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)