Staraptor (Ubers Analysis) (Placeholder) (QC Rejected 2/2)

QC Approved: 0/2
QC Rejected: 1/2 (Fireburn, trickroom)

[SET]
name: Ubers Choice Band
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Quick Attack / Return / Double-Edge
move 4: U-turn / Pursuit
item: Choice Band
ability: Reckless
nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Here are some calcs.

Other sets being considered: Choice Scarf (unimpressive from the calcs I've done, but I've only tested CB at this point), SubRoost LO (could be good I guess)

I have some pretty hardcore doubts that this thing is worth using. The calcs are cool and all, but it automatically has to compete with the MUCH beastier Ho-Oh, who has significantly better stats bar speed, and can wall break with a CB set, too, if that's your thing. This seems like a case of "yes, you can use it, but why would you ever want to? I know that they are very different birds, but it just seems outclassed to me.

Not going to lie, I am curious, though, so I will at least test it for a bit and get back to you.

Edit: Ok, I tested it for a few hours and I am not really a fan. Generally speaking, it got one or two attacks off and die; SR takes 25% coming in, and Brave Bird takes upwards of around 30% each (Obviously more if you hit something like Gira-O with it, less for Groudon, etc.), so getting the 2HKO pretty much means he dies on the next switch in. Also, the fact that EK arceus does well over 50% with no boost using espeed (while holding lefties), means that it is pretty easily revenged (Or forced out, only to likely die from the next rocks switch in. I did like U-turn on it for a bit, but again, SR makes using it pretty costly, and I almost preferred just spamming BB/CC just to avoid wasting his health on a U-turn.

A rapid spinner can try and remedy the SR weakness, but with Gira-o's recent rise in popularity, you are more likely going to have to deal with rocks than not. Also, I don't really want to have to support a staraptor...

Oh, and the subroost set never got me anywhere, but you didn't seem too confident in it either, so I doubt that is all that surprising.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have some pretty hardcore doubts that this thing is worth using. The calcs are cool and all, but it automatically has to compete with the MUCH beastier Ho-Oh, who has significantly better stats bar speed, and can wall break with a CB set, too, if that's your thing. This seems like a case of "yes, you can use it, but why would you ever want to? I know that they are very different birds, but it just seems outclassed to me.

Not going to lie, I am curious, though, so I will at least test it for a bit and get back to you.
Staraptor actually has a stronger BB thanks to Reckless, base 100 Speed, U-turn, Close Combat, and it only 2X weak to SR.

That said, it is extremely frail, so I am a bit skeptical. I'll test it and get back to you.

I actually tried Staraptor a bit last time but I didn't use him again. Stronger Brave Bird is awesome but Ho-Oh has bulk, Sacred Fire, Earthquake, Nitro Charge over Staraptor. You have to prove that the ~18% increase in power for Brave Bird and base 100 Speed is worth it over Ho-OH's superior advantages in every other part.

Intimidate is pretty lousy on something as frail as this and Stealth Rock weak as well. Not sure on this yet cause Fireburn gets interested in birds easily ( Ho-Oh, Blaziken, Zapdos, Staraptor?)! I don't think Sub Roost LO is worth using because Staraptor is very frail and Ho-OH outclasses it in that aspect. Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire in the sun still hits harder than any Brave Bird and can land a burn as well. Note: the recoil from Brave Bird will likely end Staraptor's life fast.

There are some valid concerns here trickroom, so I'll give thoughts on them. Sun-boosted Sacred Fire had completely slipped my mind, although it's only marginally more powerful than Reckless Brave Bird (although I suppose the same argument could be made about Staraptor BB vs Ho-oh BB). Staraptor is stronger in rain though, which certainly is an advantage considering that Kyogre is literally everywhere.

I agree completely on Intimidate, since Reckless is the only reason I considered Staraptor in the first place. Also agreeing about Subroost not being worth it, I wasn't even too sure about mentioning it in the first place. Staraptor isn't as dependent on its teammates as Ho-oh is (Ho-oh is of course still the better Pokemon, it would be stupid to argue against that), so it's an option if you want that STAB Brave Bird without having to run Groudon and Forretress.

I had already expected Staraptor to play out like a kamikaze, but it is worth noting the lack of Flying-type resists since Ferrothorn seems to be the Steel-type of choice. Staraptor can tear a whole in defensive teams that can be exploited later. I've been testing it some more and although I'm still not completely sold myself (as in I wouldn't be too surprised or disappointed if this is QC rejected), it certainly is deadly. I think it could work very well on a choice team, so I'll test that later.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I tried Staraptor and...it was really underwhelming. It is powerful, yes, but it is also very tough to switch due to its frailty. It also dies extremely quickly due to recoil damage and SR, and it is too slow to be of use against offensive teams. I found myself using it as death fodder most of the time since its so hard to bring in it usually did nothing.

QC REJECTED (1/2)

Staraptor is the strongest bird out there Fireburn!!!!

Sorry though, Staraptor just can't do well in Ubers besides hitting hard. It can't set up like Cloyster either even with Wobbuffet support. The inability to switch in makes it rather useless like what Fireburn said. Also, Stealth Rock will wear down Staraptor easily especially with the huge amount of recoil damage. Things like Rivalry Haxorus hits hard too but it sucks in Ubers due to the presence of Rayquaza. Ho-Oh is almost always better, Honkhrow received a similar fate in generation 4. The Scarf Set can revenge kill Mewtwo but so can things like Zekrom

QC REJECTED 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)