Completed! Arcanite's Contest Hall -Contest #1: SemiFinal: TravelLog VS Dogfish44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Arcanite's Contest Hall!
Semi-Final No.1: TravelLog Vs Dogfish 44

Vs

TravelLog will be Using Zephyr the Fidgit
Fidgit [Zephyr] (M) (*)
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
Type: Poison/Ground
Poison: Poison STAB; immunity to Poison/Toxic, see and breath through smog/smokescreens/haze uninhibited. Able to use Wrap and Bind without losing focus. Superior senses in urban settings.
Ground: Ground STAB; Immune to all electrical attacks, can Dig through almost any substance, Evasive Digging reduced from 3 per action Energy Cost to 2 per action, superior senses in darkened cave surroundings.

Abilities:
Persistent: (Innate) This Pokemon has a great affinity for odd field effects. When it uses one of these effects it increases their duration. Moves affected are Gravity, Heal Block, Lucky Chant, Magic Room, Safeguard, Trick Room, Tailwind, and Wonder Room by an additional one (1) round or three (3) actions depending on the move.
Vital Spirit: (Innate) This Pokemon has a high vitality and alertness making it immune to sleep induced by other Pokemon. Its normal state of sleeplessness makes it take 1 less damage/action from Ghost Curse. If it is put to sleep by a Pokemon with Mold Breaker it will wake up the next action.
Prankster (DW): (Innate) The Pokemon is always prepared for engaging in sneaky tactics and trickery, giving its non-damaging attacks an increase in priority level.

Stats:

HP: 100
Atk: Rank 2 (-)
Def: Rank 4
SpA: Rank 4 (+)
SpD: Rank 3
Spe: 105

EC: 6/6
MC: 0
DC: 5/5

Attacks:
Level Up:
Gust(*)
Sand-Attack(*)
Tailwind(*)
Encore(*)
Knock Off(*)
Copycat(*)
Healing Beam(*)
Whirlwind(*)
Razor Wind(*)
Entrainment(*)
Magic Room
Wonder Room
Rapid Spin
Knock Off
Helping Hand
Comet Punch
Air Slash
Acrobatics
Heal Block
Sludge Bomb
Wide Guard

Earth Power(*)
Wish(*)
Disable(*)

Energy Ball (*)
Toxic(*)
Taunt(*)
Shadow Ball
Stone Edge

Dogfish44 will be using GRUMPus the Grumpig
Grumpig [GRUMPus] (Male) (*)
Nature: Lonely

Type:
Psychic: Psychic STAB; less susceptible to blinding, more susceptible to sound-based assaults as far as locking on with Psychic attacks, can lift and throw opponents with Psychic attacks regardless of weight difference. Psychic-type attacks are not godlike and cannot be used as a catchall for Disabling, Binding, and redirecting opposing attacks.

Stats:

Grumpig
HP: 100
Atk: Rank 3 (Stat Boosted by Nature)
Def: Rank 2 (Stat Dropped by Nature)
SpA: Rank 3
SpD: Rank 4
Spe: 80

Abilities:
Own Tempo: (Innate) This Pokemon moves at its own pace and cannot be confused by any method.
Thick Fat: (Innate) This Pokemon has a great deal of extra fat or muscle that increases its resistance to extreme heat or extreme cold, reducing the type effectiveness of Fire and Ice-typed attacks to the next level of resistance (2x weak becomes neutral, neutral becomes resistance, etc.)
Gluttony (DW): (Innate) This Pokemon devours healing and stat increasing berries at 50% health (flat) instead of 25% health (flat).

EC: 6/6
MC: 0
DC 5/5 - UNLOCKED!

Attacks:
Splash (*)
Psywave (*)
Odor Sleuth (*)
Psybeam (*)
Psych Up (*)
Confuse Ray (*)
Magic Coat (*)

Extrasensory (*)
Future Sight (*)
Zen Headbutt (*)

Shadow Ball (*)
Taunt (*)
Thunder Wave (*)

DynamicPunch
Psychic
Fire Punch

Competitors should make their battle a show for the audience, Beuatiful, cool, spectacular, etc. This will then be evaluated using the appeal gauge. The appeal Gauge will work as following:

• Successful combo: +5
  • Blocking damage (not via protect): +X (X is amount of damaged blocked)
  • Inventive move use: +5
  • Being unevolved, and battling a Fully evolved pokemon +15
  • Being Not fully evolved (Stage 2 of a 3 stage evo line) and against a fully evolved pokemon: +10
  • Appeal Judges will then give points as to the general appeal of the round. (max 10 appeal points per round)
The Winner will be the competitor whose total HP and Appeal Gauge score is the greatest!

1. TravelLog Orders.
  2. Dogfish Orders.
  3. Gerrard Refs.
  4. Steampowered judges your battle, using the appeal gauge.
  5. Dogfish Orders.
  6. TravelLog Orders.
  7. Gerrard Refs.
  8. Steampowered judges your battle, using the appeal gauge.
  9. TravelLog Orders.
  10. Dogfish Orders.
  11. Gerrard Refs.
  12. Steampowered judges your battle, using the appeal gauge.
  13. Dogfish Orders.
  14. TravelLog Orders.
  15. Gerrard Refs.
  16. Steampowered judges your battle, using the appeal gauge.
  17. I then Total the Scores!

Good Luck!

(TravelLog is up first)

Are there any special Battle Rules for Contest Battles?

Well old friend, you're weak to Psychic-type attacks, but it will just make our victory that much more compelling!

This might be tricky so listen up! Open by tossing up a Sludge Bomb + Air Slash, but not aimed directly at Grumpig. I want you to launch the Sludge Bomb up toward Grumpig so that he reflexively follows it with his eyes, then I want you to launch the Air Slash at the Sludge Bomb, shattering it into millions of tiny venomous particles, creating a poisonous miasma, hopefully blinding Grumpig and making breathing the now poison air extremely difficult for him as a non-poison type. Follow that up with an unusual Earth Power. Use your earthen affinity to construct a Cage around Grumpig, trapping him within, unable to interact with you. Finish the round by Taunting the now trapped Grumpig from the safety of outside the solid cage (thanks to the cage, Magic Coat will be utterly ineffective as you are safely outside hidden within the depths of the poison fog).

IF Grumpig isn't caged A3 for whatever reason, blast it with a Shadow Ball

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
OK Grumpus, let's show this guy how to participate in a true contest. As he fires that sludge bomb, use Psychic to suspend the sludge. Then, once the air slash is launched, fling the sludge out of the way. Then, use the Earth Power as a launch pad - as it blasts up underneath you, go for a Fire Punch and DynamicPunch combo, using the height to give yourself more power in the punch, and be able to aim it better. Finish up with a Magic Coat - things backfiring is fun!

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
Oh, I had assummed that TravelLog was following the correct procedure. TravelLog, feel free to change and start from scratch (VM me first though if you are changing)

Out of fairness, I don't want to change my actions too significantly. As such, simply remove the Earth Power thing. Since suspending the Sudge Bomb and flinging it is two actions worth of moves, and Fidgit is way faster than Grumpig, all he should be able to manage is suspending it before the Air Slash hits anyway, giving identical, if not better, results.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
I'm making a monor change myself - Grumpig will use Psychic as a single action (Where you got it as 2 actions is beyond me - it's simply spending more EN on holding the sludge before I fling it, since a combo takes one action overall, as will the flinging section, since it's only 1 move used in a particular fashion I can't see how that's taking 2 actions - it's ust messing with your combo as a single move).

Since EP won't occur, that combo's becoming a Psybeam.

Then I'm still gonna Magic Coat the taunt, which should occur action 3 according to the rules for combos.

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

I'm Gerard and I'll be your Ref!

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

The morning shynes above the Arcanite Contest Hall and the field is prepared for this amazing battle, the semifinals of the First Pokemon Contest, welcome to all our amazing coordinators, awesome pokemon and loyal fans alike
(the audience cheers)

Here in the SemiFinal our competitors will compete in a Single 1 vs 1 battle, and the coordinator which manage to strip away the most points from they opponent withperfect coordination and beautiful moves will be the one to go trough the next round, but enough of that, let's start with this!, on my left is TravelLog (the crowd explodes) and on my right is Dogfish (the crowd explodes again), Which of them will be the one to advance to the next round, stay with us to know!

So let's Jump this out!

(TravelLog trows his Pokeball, releasing a strange pokemon in a big smoke tower, completely blocking everything but a couple of big blue glowing balls and a bunch of purple points, while the smoke begins to dissipate, many shots of light manage to remove all the remainig smoke revealing a Fidgit posing with all fis hands, looking realy to do some tricks)

(Dogfish launches his, releasing a happy jumping pig, Grumpig is released in a explosion of colorful stars that surrounds the energetic pokemon and makes his jumps crush some stars making them glowing glitter all around him and showing how much of a playful and happy pokemon he can be, ready for everything)

The trainers seem exited, and with those awesome pokemon, we're looking at a very interesting battle right here!

Zephys is really fast and he proves how powerful can he be by shoting a round of toxic bombs right at Grumpus, using 3 of it's hands, but he is not afraid of a little mud, Zephys shots the sluge bombs while shoting another light blue sphere, all directly at the grumpig, Grumpus knows that he can let him be hit by all that, so he uses his psyquic powers to stop dry those mud balls in the air, but not being able to stop the air slah that hits him directly

Still, Zephyr is now open to Grumpus attacks, thanks to using a lot of power to bypass his mental defense, and Grumpus is more than capable of regaining focus, shoting a wonderful beam that shynes like a hundred rainbows, the incredible attack iluminates the room, and is a really beautiful example of the awesome kind of attacks that this contest has brough to all of us, he releases the attack against Zephyr doing some nice damage, and making the fidgit fall into the ground

Zephys rises from the ground, looking understandibly mad by the attack, but in response Zephyr begins doing some very un-classy gestures with his hands, that's not something really nice, but it appears it may be working, Oh! Grumpus is not stupid, and he will not fall into that old trick, he uses the powers of his pearl once again to create a shiny mirror in from of him, reflecting Zephyr on it, but Zephyr was just playing with grumpig, he wasn't trying to taunt him, he used that as a distraction to use his real power a espere of shadow that bypasses Grumpus shield and does some nice damage, this doesn't seem like it's waht he wanted, what will Grumpus do next to recover?, and will Zephyr continue with it's tricks?, Stay with us to know!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Grumpus..

...HP: 80......
.Status: x.x...
.Boosts: x.x...
.Ability:......
Own Tempo..
Think Fat....
Gluttony.....

vs

...Zephyr

..HP: 85
..Status: x.x
..Boosts: x.x
..Ability:
..Persistent
..Vital Spirit
..Prankster

Zephyr used Sludge Explosion!
GRUMPus' protected itself from the Sludge!
RNG Roll (To Crit) [<=62 Crit]: 1000/1000 (No)
(8) x 1.0 = 8 ~ 8 damage

GRUMPus used Psyquic!
GRUMPus' protected itself from the Sludge!

Zephyr is tired!

GRUMPus used Psybeam!
RNG Roll (To Crit) [<=62 Crit]: 347/1000 (No)
RNG Roll (To Confuse) [<=100 Yes]: 616/1000 (No)
(7 + 3) x 1.5 = 15 ~ 15 damage

GRUMPus used Magic Bounce!
GRUMPus' surrounded himself in a Magic Coat!

Zephyr used Shadow Ball!
RNG Roll (To Crit) [<=62 Crit]: 658/1000 (No)
RNG Roll (To -1 SpD) [<=200 Crit]: 346/1000 (No)
(8) x 1.5 = 12 ~ 12 damage

Please refer to my initial action post. You will see that I made a substitution that if Grumpig was not incapacitated, I ordered a Shadow Ball (which I also mentioned earlier to Arcanite to pay attention to)

This is indeed the case. It does say if he isn't caged, use shadow ball. He wasn't caged, so Shadow ball should have been used.

Ok, i've corrected it, but for now on, please try to use something like:

Pokemon: Move 1 -Move 2 - Move 3 (or Move 1 - Combo, etc...)
- substitution

At the end of your actions, It would make reading you moves a lot easier and make mistakes like this less possible (and help reading to other people who might see this) :3

Wow! what a dazzling display!

Sorry there I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Steampowered and I'll be judging this match.

Zephyr

AP: 10
vs.
Grumpus.

AP: 18

Wow what an exciting first bit! I really loved the part where Grumpus blocked that Sludge Bomb attack. What an inventive use of his psychic powers (+11 AP for successful block)! Also there was The combo that I could see Zephyr winding up for, but it was to bad that it didn't work. I wish that I could have seen it in action. I really loved the beauty of of Grumpus' Psybeam but unfortunately that's just the beauty of the attack and not an actual combo so I'm not allowed to give points for it. The next very impressive thing that I saw was the sneaky Shadow Ball that Zephyr landed on Grumpus. It was inventive how Zephyr pretended to Taunt him but was actually preparing a Shadow Ball (+ 5 for inventive move use).

Overall though I though both contestants did very well. I'm going to add 5 AP to Zephyr's gauge for inventive use, some very interesting combos and ideas and finally a good amount of effort. I'm going to add 7 AP to Grumpus' gauge for some very pretty and uncommon moves, good blocking and a very good patience, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

• Successful combo: +5
  • Blocking damage (not via protect): +X (X is amount of damaged blocked)
  • Inventive move use: +5
  • Being unevolved, and battling a Fully evolved pokemon +15
  • Being Not fully evolved (Stage 2 of a 3 stage evo line) and against a fully evolved pokemon: +10
  • Appeal Judges will then give points as to the general appeal of the round. (max 10 appeal points per round)

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
Alright Grumpus, you're doing great out there!

Fidgit has a movepool the size of a truck, so we'll show them how much it can actually matter!

First and foremost, the first time it uses taunt, I want you to use a Magic Coat. Otherwise, I want you to try out a Psybeam + Confuse Ray combo - By funneling a Confuse Ray down a Psybeam, the opponent should become disorientated a bit longer than normal! Finish up the round with a Psychic, picking up Zephyr's hands and dying them in a knot!

TO summarise:

Psybeam + Confuse Ray ~ Psychic (Tie hands into a knot]

Subs: IF Taunt is used once, THEN push all moves down the queue one place and use Magic Coat instead.

Excellent work so far old friend! Let's use this round to showcase our incredible strength!

Since you have a nice speed advantage, lets use an Earth Power to trap Grumpus in an earthen cage like we wanted to earlier. The cage should utterly block his mental waves. The cage may be destroyed in the process, but it will absolutely have fulfilled its purpose. Next, I want you to Disable his Psychic since it was used last round. Finally, end the round with an incredible Shadow Ball while he proves incapable of doing anything! Should Disable not be usable however, I want you to instead use Copycat and hit him with his own combo! It may not do much damage, but it will Confuse him, and will be incredible as a combo used in only one turn!!!! Now that's something! From there, end with a Rapid Spin so that he can't focus on any of your hands, rendering him unable to manipulate the psychic energy to tie them in a knot (your hands will be one big blur!).

Earth Power to trap Grumpus~Disable (Psychic)~Shadow Ball
IF you can't Disable Psychic, use Copycat to copy the combo that action instead, while he rests~Rapid Spin so he can't focus psychic energy on your individual hands to tie them

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

A great round with a very unfortunate end, the kind of control Zephyr has showed is very hard to achieve, but he has managed to do it in an awesome way by showing us first a lights show and then by trapping Grumpus in a cage using rock pillars, Grumpues had awonderful opening act, by creating a colorful and beautiful attack that had a lot of appeal, using the natural beauty of both psybeam and the confuse ray it created a wonderful dancing rainbow that manage to trow Zephyr out of balance, but Zephyr is not far behind since, he, disabling his most powerful tool while helpless was very Mischievous and deliciously mean, the final act was very bad, altough not really anyones fault, i really hope steampowered is fine, well Shadoo is here and the show must go on

Welcome back, both coordinators have shown a great moves so far, but what's next on this amazing battle?

Zephyr is focusing on the earth under the field, so much that the floor under Gumpus starts to break, releasing a beautiful golden light, making some parts of the arena lift and crating pillars of stone around Grumpus, what a remarkable move, but still, the ground is not perfect, and they "cage" in what Grumpus is trapped is only 3ft high, and has several cracks. Grumpus takes adventage of this and shots another one of those rainbow beams, the gorgeous ray on energy goes trough the room illuminating the field bue Grumpus is not done, he uses his confusing powers to create 6 golden orbs around the beam, making it dance around the arena with all its multi-colored awesomeness, going around Zephyr and confusing him after it hits him for some nice damage

Zephyr is a little dizzy now, and he is having a hard time focusing on Grumpus, trying to keep him trapped, meanwhile Grumpus tries to use his psyquic powes to break free. Zephyr can at least concentrate himself long enough for his aura to start glowing in a light blue, and doing the same to Grumpus, both pokemon are now outlined in a delicious blue colour, altough Grumpus doesn't seem happy for it, he is not able to focus, he can't even use his psyquic powers anymore, and Zephyr will really take adventage of the inability of Grumpues to damage him whit them

Grumpus can't do anything, he seems to be trying really hard to break the rock box in which he is still trapped in, but he doesn't seem to be going anywhere as Zephyr just laughs at him and creating another shadow sphere, but he still dizzy, he falls!, releasing the attack, which is goes directly to... Ah!!, he hit our judge Steampowered!, oh i really hope he is ok... how is he?, he seem ok, but he has been knocked off, i think he will not be able to judge our round, thank Arceus we still have another judge, but this is really bad, still the battle most go on, just two more rounds to go!, How will Zephyr make up for this?, and will Gumpus be free from his jail?, this is getting really close. So stay with us!

Grumpus..

...HP: 80......
.Status: x.x...
.Boosts:Trapped (3 actions)
Psyquic - Disabled (4 actions)..
.Ability:......
Own Tempo..
Think Fat....
Gluttony.....

vs

...Zephyr

..HP: 69
..Status: x.x
..Boosts: Confused (1 action)
..Ability:
..Persistent
..Vital Spirit
..Prankster

Zephyr used Earth Power!
GRUMPus was trapped! (6 actions)
GRUMPus cannot use nor receive contact moves and won't be able to move to attack (or dodge) attacks

GRUMPus used Psybeam!
RNG Roll (To Crit) [<=62 Crit]: 443/1000 (No)
(7 + 3) x 1.5 = 15 ~ 15 damage
Zephyr was confused!
RNG Roll (Confusion State) [1/2/3]: 2/3 (Severe Confusion)
Zaphyr is Severly Confused! (3 actions)

Zephyr used Disable!
RNG Roll (Confusion) [<=500 Yes]: 860/1000 (No)
GRUMPus' Psyquic has been disabled!

GRUMPus is tired!

Zephyr used Shadow Ball!
RNG Roll (Confusion) [<=500 Yes]: 193/1000 (Yes)
Zephy hurts himself in confusion!
(4 - 3) x 1.0 = 1 ~ 1 damage

GRUMPus used Psyquic!
GRUMPus' Psyquic was disabled!

just briefly noting that I should not be confused any more, as hitting myself in confusion lowers the confusion stage an additional level.
So it was at 3, then I used Disable (at 2), then I hit myself in Confusion (at 0).

Also, shouldn't my ground-typing have enabled me to succesfully use the Earth Power to fully trap and cage Grumpig? I'm just curious about how it was calculated.

Confusion Stage lowers by 1 at the beginning of the Pokemon's action until it hits 0, and When a Pokemon hits itself in confusion or receives an attack with more than 10 Base Attack Power, its Confusion stage is lowered to a minimum value of 1.

So when you hit yourself you reduced it at 1, it will become 0 next action "when you'll snapped out of confusion", don't worry it won't be harmful

In the Cage thing, i had a problem with the move, i could see it working, but no with that move, i searched for it in many sites (bulba and serebii) and all had the same description and anime appearance, the ground cracks and light comes out, nothing lifts or anything, BUT in the manga it actually created a enormous rock pillar, since nothing more that that one entry told me this would have kind of worked i was unsure on allow it or now (since a way an attack would work in a diferent way is at ref discrecion), i allowed it in a way that it would work in a way you said (to trap the pokemon in a cage) since that i could see happening, but doing a perfect box of dirt was to much of a stretch, still i didn't want to make the move useless so i put the things that should be in place if the pokemon was trapped (like in a fire spin)

Oh that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it would work, but I was definitely curious. Thanks for the clarification! At least he's trapped, not to mentioned that being totally hidden from view probably hurts his appeal gauge rating.

Not to beat a dead horse, but with Grumpig at 2 ft. 11 in., what were the mechanics of the successful combo? I'd like to know so I can plan accordingly, as I would imagine in a 3 ft high cage, a shorter pokemon couldn't 1)see me, 2) aim, or 3) fire the attack without jumping above the edge of the cage

Well, Grumpig had a bouncing tail so..., there are like a jail, they have free parts in between the pillars(bars), so the attack can pass through them, if you really want to block his attack creating another cage probably won't work, creating a shield or something for you...

Ahhh, run on sentences! WHYYYYYYYYY!!!

Remarkable round from both co-ordinators, with Zephyr's remarkable caging attack, and Grumpus' equally remarkable combo!

Zephyr: 10+5 (inventive move use)+7 (general appeal) = 22

Grumpus: 18+5 (successful combo) +7 (general appeal - pretty light show!) = 30

Great job. We're behind, but nothing we can't recover from.

Start off by launching an Air Slash at Grumpig, the enclosed space should make the concussive blast stronger by containing it to some degree. Immediately follow up with a Energy Ball to take advantage of the swirling air currents for an "Energy Vortex". Then relax a bit and finish up by hitting Grumpig with a nasty Toxic.

IF Grumpig uses an action to escape the cage, then change your actions to a Sludge Explosion combo~relax~Shadow Ball.

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

Boooring..., Sorry Dogfish but five days is more than enough, if you're on vacation you should have PM me to see wht I could have done, sorry, but I've know nothing from you since July 2 so... TravelLog wins by DQ

This is not a Statues Contest, Since Grumpus refuses to make a move (he seems to be really grumpy(g)) I think I'll have to infract him with 50 points, making the grumpig go under 0, which means, we have a winner!

So congratulations Travel Log, you pass to the next round!, we'll sure get an interesting battle in there, so don't miss it!

Oh, OK, then don't listen to me...

No, the rewards are as follows:

Dogfish: 2 TC
Grumpig, 3 MC+1 from appeals round!

Travellog, you get your prizes after the final!

Gerrard, 2 RC and 1 BT (3 All purpose counters)

Son_of_Shadoo: 2 BT (manning the appeal gauge for 1 Round)
Steampowered: 2 BT (manning the appeal gauge for 1 Round)
You each ovesaw 0-1 KOs, so you get 2 BT!

The ref training ground says you can only claim prizes for rounds which have had two rounds reffed, which this has!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)