Smeargle (Ubers Analysis)

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/smeargle
QC Approved: shrang, trickroom, Fireburn
GP Approved: Calm Pokemaster, V0x

[Overview]

<p>Smeargle has always been a unique Pokemon that fills specific niches, and it does this in every tier, including Ubers. Its expansive movepool, consisting of literally every single move in the game, allows it to do things in ways no other Pokemon can do. Its range of options might be comparatively limited in Ubers, but Smeargle can still be a game-changing element when used correctly. It's most fearsome trait is undoubtedly its ability to use Baton Pass in conjunction with Shell Smash, but there are other niches that it can fill too.</p>

[SET]
name: SmashPass
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Spore
move 4: Magic Coat / Ingrain / Taunt
item: Focus Sash
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Baton Passing has long been regarded as Smeargle's signature role, and it pulls off its specialty with aplomb in Ubers. The raw power of the Ubers metagame makes Baton Pass chains difficult to use and rather impractical, but this generation Smeargle has a new toy that takes advantage of that same raw power: Shell Smash. With a Focus Sash equipped, Smeargle is nearly guaranteed to get off a Shell Smash safely, especially with the aid of the much-coveted Spore, which is what sets it apart from Baton Pass Gorebyss. Putting a slower opponent to sleep, such as support Groudon, allows Smeargle to boost up with its Focus Sash still intact, giving you complete control. It is highly recommended in most cases to use Shell Smash before Spore, as this makes dealing with Smeargle far more difficult. Magic Coat is useful for its ability to turn Roar, Whirlwind, and Taunt back on the user, also allowing Smeargle to "steal" entry hazards from the opponent; this makes the Baton Pass recipient even more difficult to stop. Ingrain blocks phazing attempts altogether and also provides recovery for the recipient, making wearing down the recipient a daunting task. Taunt is also usable, and while it is not as effective as Magic Coat, it does require less prediction to use.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature and full investment in Speed are vital for Smeargle, as they allow it to outspeed a larger range of opponents, something that is crucial for its role. Because Ubers is an incredibly powerful metagame, there are very few moves Smeargle can survive, should its Focus Sash be broken before it has an opportunity to use Shell Smash. The remaining EVs are all placed in Defense, allowing Smeargle to survive Giratina-O's Dragon Tail even after switching into Stealth Rock or Spikes. It should be noted that if keeping the opponents' entry hazards out of play is not feasible, Smeargle should be led with or brought in on the turn that the opponent uses an entry hazard move, allowing it to keep its Focus Sash intact. Keep in mind that the latter scenario is extremely risky.</p>

<p>Teammates should be the most important concern when using Smeargle. Pokemon that can make great use of the boosts they receive, such as mixed Dialga or Zekrom, are the best partners for this set. Priority moves, especially ExtremeSpeed, are the biggest danger to the recipients, so recipients that shrug off most forms of priority, notably Dialga and Giratina-O, are the most difficult to take down. The immunity to Toxic Spikes both have is also an excellent asset. The defense drops of Shell Smash are a hazard for recipients, so having them hold a White Herb is an option, although the raw power of a Life Orb is usually better for Pokemon that do not fear priority. If the opponent lacks priority, then powerful, frail Pokemon such as Mewtwo and Rayquaza make deadly recipients. Quiver Dance and Tail Glow are also excellent moves to pass to powerful special attackers such as Kyogre. Belly Drum is another option, but Smeargle is too slow to safely use the move, and Belly Drum's cost renders the Focus Sash useless, making it impractical.</p>

[SET]
name: Lv. 1 FEAR
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Spore
move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Dragon Rage / Destiny Bond
item: Focus Sash
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Brave
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Lv. 1 Solosis fills this niche better in most ways due to Magic Guard, Smeargle's access to Spore is all it needs to make it a viable alternative. This set's primary aim is to get up Trick Room, and then if possible take something down with it. Spore nearly guarantees a free use of either Trick Room or Endeavor, depending on when it is used. Endeavor does an excellent job at crippling opponents even when Smeargle is at full health, as its HP at Lv. 1 is so low that most Pokemon commonly used in Ubers will die to residual damage when left with that amount. Dragon Rage can be used to finish off any Pokemon that has been hit by Endeavor, but Destiny Bond almost guarantees a kill, and is Smeargle's only option against Giratina-O.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set can only really work on a full Trick Room team, and Smeargle's teammates should be capable of abusing Trick Room; common Trick Room users such as Dialga and Palkia are thus highly recommended. Toxic Spikes support can help Smeargle nab kills with Endeavor, but poisoned opponents aren't affected by Spore, making this a risky option. ExtremeSpeed is also an option in the last moveslot. In the unlikely situation that Smeargle has used Endeavor on the last turn of Trick Room, ExtremeSpeed can be used to finish off the opponent, assuming it isn't carrying Leftovers. This set absolutely hates entry hazards, so unless Rapid Spin support is provided it is best to use it as the team's lead.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although Smeargle has literally every move in the game at its fingertips, the nature of the Ubers metagame doesn't leave it with too many options. Entry hazards are among its usable options, as Smeargle can set up Stealth Rock, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes. Unfortunately Smeargle is outclassed completely at this role by Deoxys-S. Rapid Spin is also an option if a moveslot is available, but since Smeargle can't touch Giratina-O at all outside of Spore, it is not really worth using. Support moves such as Thunder Wave, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, Tailwind, and Haze are all possible options, but these only usable in specific situations, and the status moves conflict with Spore.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The key to beating Smeargle is preventing it from putting something to sleep and breaking its Focus Sash before it can do any harm. Entry hazards render Focus Sash useless, making Smeargle a much easier target to deal with. Priority helps to deal with it as well. For example, if Sleep Clause has been activated and Smeargle has already been brought to 1 HP, Arceus can switch in on Shell Smash or Trick Room and kill Smeargle before it can use Baton Pass or Endeavor, respectively. Pokemon with moves that hit multiple times are rare in Ubers, but the few that are used, such as Dual Chop Garchomp, make short work of Smeargle. Pokemon using Rest and Sleep Talk also have a much easier time with Smeargle, especially if they also have a phazing move.</p>

I think a Belly Drum set could work as well even though it might be hard to pull off because if Extremekiller Arceus receives that then it will be nearly impossible to stop.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Your defensive spread is suboptimal; with 256 EVs to devote to HP and defenses, the most efficient spread for Smeargle is 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD. You might want to fine-tune that to survive something specific, but simply maxing HP isn't the best way to go.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't 4 HP / 252 Def be better than trying to even out defenses? There's no such thing as a weak Special attack in Ubers; all Special attacks will OHKO Smeargle, where as there are some weak physical attacks such as Dragon Tail and Rapid Spin that exist. For example, Smeargle is guaranteed to survive max Lonely Giratina-O's Dragon Tail when running 252 Def when taking SR into account, as well as Spikes most of the time, where as 96 HP / 120 Def isn't guaranteed survival if SR is taken into account. It also helps against priority, which is one of the main concerns when running a set like this

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, Smeargle's only real niche over anything else in Ubers is Belly Drum passing, IMO. It's frail as hell and is relatively slow. Gorebyss is better at SmashPassing and Mew is better at everything else. Fear TR set could potentially be pretty good, but that's about it, really.

And moody, which is now banned... But smash is okay thanks to spore allowing a sleep, setup on switch and then pass. White herb still may be viable to deal with that defense drop though.

Just saying, Smeargle's only real niche over anything else in Ubers is Belly Drum passing, IMO. It's frail as hell and is relatively slow. Gorebyss is better at SmashPassing and Mew is better at everything else. Fear TR set could potentially be pretty good, but that's about it, really.
Spore makes a world of difference. Gorebyss does not outclass Smeargle at Smashpassing. At any rate my issue with Belly Drum is that you are still slow after the boost. With Smash you can boost, surive a hit with Sash, then outspeed and Spore, giving a free turn to pass to the recipient.

I'm also giving some more consideration to FEAR Smeargle. I'll test that soon.

I'm mulling over all of the EV spread recommendations for Smashpass atm. I like the physically defensive spread and will probably go with that.

SmashPass is good, you even decimated me with it although you got a lucky crit on Ho-Oh.... Jk. Belly Drum is good also though because if you can get it to a competent sweeper think Rayquaza or Arceus then your opponent may as well say gg. Yes it will be pretty damn hard to set up but this is a high risk but very high reward strategy and it can work.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I never said BellyPass was good. All I meant was that it's the only thing that Smeargle can do and nothing else can. Whether it's viable or not is a whole different story.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
IMO, Bellypass is probably other options at best because it lost Salac, which really hurts it. Having Spore alone makes sure that Smeargle isn't outclassed by Gorebyss. Make sure that you focus on that fact!

Use this set with Hazards.

Smeargle: Focus Sash
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
Jolly

Shell Smash
Spore
Endeavor
Baton Pass

Shell Smash with Focus Sash to take the hit.
Spore going first thanks to Shell Smash.
Endeavor their switch-in down to 1 HP. Now thanks to Hazards their Pokemon can't switch out (like Shedinja staying in after Hazards are being set).
Baton Pass going first thanks to Shell Smash while their Pokemon is stuck trying to hit your teammate.

Oh, and a recipient can hold White Herb if necessary; the advantage of a recipient holding White Herb vs Smeargle holding White Herb is that the item wont be wasted if a Pokemon with Intimidate such as Salamence switches in or leads against Smeargle before getting to use Shell Smash.

Espeon is a perfect teammate to prevent hazards and Taunt, and if the foe doesn't threaten Espeon, Smeargle's recipient could very well be Espeon as the already high Speed and Special Attack thanks to Shell Smash could make Espeon a deadly threat that can't be stopped even by Prankster users due to Magic Mirror.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Use this set with Hazards.

Smeargle: Focus Sash
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
Jolly

Shell Smash
Spore
Endeavor
Baton Pass

Shell Smash with Focus Sash to take the hit.
Spore going first thanks to Shell Smash.
Endeavor their switch-in down to 1 HP. Now thanks to Hazards their Pokemon can't switch out (like Shedinja staying in after Hazards are being set).
Baton Pass going first thanks to Shell Smash while their Pokemon is stuck trying to hit your teammate.

Oh, and a recipient can hold White Herb if necessary; the advantage of a recipient holding White Herb vs Smeargle holding White Herb is that the item wont be wasted if a Pokemon with Intimidate such as Salamence switches in or leads against Smeargle before getting to use Shell Smash.

Espeon is a perfect teammate to prevent hazards and Taunt, and if the foe doesn't threaten Espeon, Smeargle's recipient could very well be Espeon as the already high Speed and Special Attack thanks to Shell Smash could make Espeon a deadly threat that can't be stopped even by Prankster users due to Magic Mirror.
Um i dont see the point of this set exactly. Obviously it is not meant to be used as a lead so Spikes will almost inevitably be on the field what with Ferro everywhere. Also Espy does not like taking a Gyro Ball from Ferro in the face. Once your sash is gone, this is pretty useless since most experienced battlers will know you will try to Spore and switch out accordingly or outright OHKO if your sash is broken, with a faster sweeper.

Further if for some reason your sash is not broken, it is easy to phaze you out on the turn you Smash. So yeah, its best just to mention Endeavor somewhere not give it a separate set.

why are you not using def/sp.def ev-s if you have endeavor?

ad d-tail giratina/-o is a hard counter if you dont sleep him

Why use Def EVs when you want to be at 1 HP?

Dragon-Tail Giratina-A/-O is a counter to any Baton Pass set that doesn't hit it super effectively unless it hasn't lost Substitute (Sub Smeargle still loses because the Substitute is Broken the turn Smash is used, and then Dragon tail is used as it Baton Passes).

Um i dont see the point of this set exactly. Obviously it is not meant to be used as a lead so Spikes will almost inevitably be on the field what with Ferro everywhere. Also Espy does not like taking a Gyro Ball from Ferro in the face. Once your sash is gone, this is pretty useless since most experienced battlers will know you will try to Spore and switch out accordingly or outright OHKO if your sash is broken, with a faster sweeper.

Further if for some reason your sash is not broken, it is easy to phaze you out on the turn you Smash. So yeah, its best just to mention Endeavor somewhere not give it a separate set.
Doesn't Espeon's HP Fire do alot to Ferro? 130 Base SpA... and Espeon being faster, it isn't like Ferro can KO it unless on the switch.

In the case of them Phazing you out on the turn you Smash with Sash intact, that's what Spore is for. You can decide to Spore first, then Smash on the switch, and Baton Pass going first. If you Spore with Sash in tact, you could even keep Smeargle with Sash for later for a second Baton Pass in the future, or just Smash a second time before Baton Passing, taking the hit to activate Focus Sash and giving your teammate +4 SpA/Atk/Spe. Now at 1 HP the next time you switch in, Endeavor could be used and still serve to almost KO a threat (i.e. slow Defensive Groudon).

If you are concerned with Spikes you could use Forretress or Tentacruel. Forretress has Rapid Spin, but more importantly, it has Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes works great with Endeavor because damage is taken at the end of the turn, which means the turn Endeavor hits a foe, is the turn Toxic Spikes finishes them off. At +2 Speed, Smeargle could get kills with Endeavor + Toxic Spikes. Of course, if you fear them just KOing Smeargle after Endeavor, you can Baton Pass...

I guess a good set of teammates for this set would include: Groudon (Stealth Rock), Forretress (Rapid Spin, TSpikes), Giratina-O (Spin Block), Espeon (Stall breaker), and perhaps White Herb Palkia (Check to Kyogre/Tyranitar). Groudon prevents Sandstorm, and prevents Rain which reduces Hidden Power Fire's damage on Espeon. Drought also empowers Espeon's HP Fire and allows it to KO Ferrothorn with minimal investment.

Groudon works to threaten Ferrothorn as well with Fire (Punch/Blast), and sets up Stealth Rocks as a potential lead.

I really don't see what this set accomplishes that would justify giving another turn to risk the pass being interrupted. If you're passing Shell Smash you're generally aiming for a clean sweep. Endeavor doesn't do enough to be worth the use.

Are you sure? Does Substitute offer much more when used on a Focus Sash set?

Also, the same turn you would use Taunt is the same turn you could almost KO a Pokemon, why would you rather have a chance at disabling a portion of their movepool when you can have them almost KOed (or even KOed if Toxic Spikes poisons them on their switch into Endeavor, then KOing at the end of the turn)? Endeavor seems more universal including against all out attackers like Choiced foes. Also Endeavor can cause self-KOs if the foe has Life Orb.

Anyways, the set I posted above doesn't have to fear.
It could very well Baton Pass on the switch from Spore, if you fear priority. The advantage actually comes from Shell Smashing then Sporing, as you have an additional turn to do something on their switch after Spore, I just chose Endeavor as a great way to nearly KO a foe before sending in your sweeper.

Most people tend to Spore first, which means the turn the foe switches is spent Substituting or Shell Smashing, but what if they send in Scizor? You have a Substitute up and have to Baton Pass out as Bullet Punch breaks it. You have passed nothing; or worse you Shell Smash on their turn sending in Scizor, and now you have given away your strategy, and cannot even be sure that you can Baton Pass out because it may Bullet Punch; but if you just switch out, Scizor can use Pursuit.

In my scenario I Shell Smash immediately letting Focus Sash take the hit. (Most people expect Spore, so they wont switch in Scizor right away on the first turn)
. Next they expect either Baton Pass or Spore... I go with Spore immediately so it does its job now in case something prevents Smeargle from doing it in the future; with Shell Smash I go first. Next I Baton Pass the turn they would be sending in the same Scizor in your scenario. Now I have a Scizor facing a Shell Smash recipient, not facing Smeargle.

The reason I like my set over yours is that Focus Sash and Substitute seems counter-productive, and since you shouldn't be using Focus Sash, then you cannot use the same set-up as my Smeargle (taking the hit on Shell Smash turn, then Spore, then Baton Pass on switch). Without Focus Sash on your set you would have to outspeed the foe or be lucky enough to take a non-Koing move which can be tough in the Ubers tier.

Plus If you have Substitute you would likely Spore, Substitute on the switch, Shell Smash as they break the Substitute and Baton Pass just the boost. Whereas my set would be able to Shell Smash, out speed the foe to Spore, Endeavor their foe on the switch (or even Shell Smash again if I predict say Ghost Arceus coming in), and then Baton Pass going first.
In your scenario you need to rely more on the foe being slower or non-threatening to safely Spore, in my scenario I can handle an offensive and faster threat, and either Boost with Shell Smash 2x, or boost 1x and then Endeavor a foe to 1 HP (mind you they KO themselves if they have Life Orb on their next attack). In my scenario I have slept a foe, and Endeavored another, in your scenario you have slept a foe that has to be slower or non-threatening (like Wobaffet). It just seems like mine is more universal and yours is more situational. Mine also seems to have a larger pay-off.

Additionally, I think a set like yours needs White Herb over Focus Sash for the Substitute set. You are putting your recipient at more risk than my set because you don't have a way of protecting your teammate from taking too much damage thanks to Shell Smash's defensive reductions. I'm planning on passing to a teammate with White Herb which is made very clear.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't see what the big deal is over Substitute since Smeargle doesn't have the bulk to really pass both it and Shell Smash, and its too slow to just pass Substitute. The fourth move is pretty much filler anyway since Smeargle is only really good for SmashPassing, and it's most likely that you're only getting one chance to do that. (Sub also wastes your sash).

Likewise, I highly doubt you'd want to waste time Endeavoring something when you can just pass to something more threatening (like Groudon, Dialga, or Zekrom) and proceed to KILL EVERYTHING rather than waste your boost trying to almost-but-not-quite kill something with Endeavor. The reason things like TR Solosis can get away with it is because its just meant to set up Trick Room then die, and Endeavor is useful to go out with a bang before it dies immediately next move. Smeargle doesn't really have the time to use Endeavor - it just needs to boost and get the heck outta Dodge.

Taunt is probably the best option in the 4th slot since at least that kinda does something useful (blocks Roar). Sub and Endeavor are AC mentions at best.

I would argue Magic Coat is more useful than Taunt, unless vs Stat-uppers who shouldn't be setting up when they fear you are going to Baton Pass a Shell Smash.

Yes, you risk mispredicting, but you also gain priority in case something tries to Taunt Smeargle first, plus Magic Coat can surprise Darkrai, Deoxys-S, etc. and force foes to attack, allowing Focus Sash to handle a hit while you Shell Smash and Baton Pass. Taunt is useful in the long run and requires prediction (although, like ENcore, it only last 3 turns since the shift from Gen 4), but Magic Coat is useful in the short run and overall if Smeargle plans on "getting out of Dodge" then it is the short-run that prevails.

Also, Endeavor works well because it discourages switching. If you have Stealth Rock set before using Smeargle, then they know after you Endeavor them, they can't switch out without pretty much losing their Pokemon. It also works to eliminate a Wall or counter to your incoming teammate because nothing survives a hit at 1 HP (with Team view, they will likely switch in a counter to what they expect to be your recipient, only to be met with an Endeavor to 1 HP).

Even if they pack Leftovers (6.25% heal on Endeavor, 6.25% heal on Baton Pass= 12.5% HP + 1 HP from Endeavor) Stealth Rock means if they switch out the turn your recipient attacks, it will put them back at 1 HP on their next switch in (12.5% + 1 - 12.5% from Stealth Rocks = 1 HP again).

So doesn't Endeavor have a lot of merit, considering the team preview allows your foe to assume your recipient, only for you to Endeavor their best Counter on the switch-in, before safely Baton Passing? Either they will try to recover with Roost on say Lugia and make your recipient fear less about taking incoming damage, or they will panic knowing their best way to stop your sweep is almost useless.

They're going to switch in the Chansey to counter your Special Attacking recipient? Fine, Endeavor first on their switch-in, Baton Pass second as you predict their foolish attempts to either Softboiled, or hit you one last time before taking the inevitable KO, because they know Stealth Rock will KO them anyways if they just switch-out (Eviolite means no Leftovers). Either way, you just eliminated your recipients biggest, and sometimes only counter/check.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slash Magic Coat / Taunt on the 4th slot then.

Endeavor however is useless because honestly, you shouldn't be wasting time with Smeargle on those shenanigans, and there is little ANYTHING can do to stop a +2/+2/+2 Dialga, Zekrom, Groudon, or what have you anyway. Magic Coat and Taunt is better in case someone tries to phaze out your recipient, and odds are Smeargle is getting but one chance to pass. The reason those are used as the recipients is because they have no counters after the boost. Lugia going up against +2/+2 Groudon? Good luck taking Stone Edge. How about Giratina? It's immune to Endeavor, whoops. Groudon vs. +2/+2/+2 Zekrom? A simple Dragon Pulse/Meteor will KO it nice and easy. +2/+2 Dialga vs Chansey? Have fun taking two Aura Spheres and not dying. That's why you even attempt this tactic anyway.

Let's take Lugia as an example. Sure, you bring it down to 1 HP, but you're just giving them the chance to WW or Dragon Tail you out to erase your boosts, and any semi-competent player will do anything in their power to ensure Smeargle cannot pass again (by simply keeping the Spored Pokemon asleep so it can't make room for it to pass). I would much rather block the attempts to pass rather than try and cripple something when the mission is to pass those boosts.

Endeavor is AC material at best.

there is little ANYTHING can do to stop a +2/+2/+2 Dialga, Zekrom, Groudon, or what have you anyway. Magic Coat and Taunt is better in case someone tries to phaze out your recipient, and odds are Smeargle is getting but one chance to pass. The reason those are used as the recipients is because they have no counters after the boost. Lugia going up against +2/+2 Groudon? Good luck taking Stone Edge. How about Giratina? It's immune to Endeavor, whoops. Groudon vs. +2/+2/+2 Zekrom? A simple Dragon Pulse/Meteor will KO it nice and easy. +2/+2 Dialga vs Chansey? Have fun taking two Aura Spheres and not dying. That's why you even attempt this tactic anyway.
I am agreeing with Fireburn that Endeavor sucks. Actually Lugia does survive a +2 Stone Edge from Groudon if you lack Life Orb for Lum Berry. 80.8% - 95.2% without Life Orb meaning you have to use Life Orb or get SR out, otherwise Lugia survives and phazes you. With LO Groudon OHKOes Lugia guaranteed at +2.

Giratina does survive a +2 Life Orb Dragon Claw from Groudon :P 54.1% - 63.6% without LO, 70% - 82.7% with Life Orb. Giratina can still Roar you out anyway or Dragon Tail.

+2 Dialga Aura Sphere vs Chansey 45.2% - 53.3% This is with Life Orb. Meaning Chansey might be able to outstall Dialga to death till Dialga struggles or dies to Life Orb recoil. Without LO, 34.9% - 41.1% is what a +2 Aura Sphere is doing to Chansey. Dialga needs Outrage to get past Chansey at +2/+2 :P

Zekrom is capable of killing all at +2/+2, Ground Arceus dies to +2 Outrage. Mewtwo might be a great recipient because it kills almost everything bar Specially Defensive Giratina/Lugia at +2/+2 with Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Psystrike and Aura Sphere. Thunder can be used to own Lugia harder in rain. Wob dies to Fire Blast.

So then with Dragon Tail on say Lugia bypassing Taunt, it would seem a shame to use Taunt the same turn I would use Endeavor. At least Endeavor would force it to die to almost anything afterwards.

I see your point of boosted Dialga, etc. being stopped by little although Skarm (in Rain) isn't too bad a check, given it's typing.

Perhaps You are valid that Taunt is the safer option to prevent Roar or Whirlwind, but with that being said doesn't Just Baton Passing on their switch in have more payoff when those moves are not used like when they want to use Dragon Tail? Remember you listed 1HKOs, so screw Taunt, just Baton Pass on their switch in and Ko them next turn. And since Baton Pass has a bigger payoff to just be used on their switchin, and I guess in the examples given Life Orb is necessary for some KOs, then it seems better to just have another move since baton pass is on both sets and taunt is only useful if it's a 2hko or you fear stone edge from groudon hitting Lugia might miss, AND you are sure it has whirlwind not Dragon Tail.

So over all it's not even worth taunt if you just shell smash, spore, then baton pass since you are going to be baton passing on their switch from spore and Ko them next turn. It almost seems worth just using Magic Coat the turn you would baton pass, forcing their whirlwind or roar to make them switch themselves out, then Baton Pass.

Something's listed were 2HKOs like Dialga vs Chansey which I think is a great opportunity to use Endeavor since it will be at 1HP without leftovers and since Dialga is doing a 2HKO anyways why not just force it to be A secure 2HKO rather than Risking it roll 45%~49% damage both hits and since Chansey does not have a phasing move it makes Smeargle's Endeavor more valuable. Chansey also can't take advantage of Shell Smashes defense drops since it needs seismic toss for damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)