is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

HP: 70
Atk: 130
Def: 100
SpA:55
SpDef: 80
Spe: 65

Abilities:
Swarm: Boosts power of Bug-type moves 50% when at 1/3 HP or less.
Technician: Moves with 60 Base Power or less do 50% more damage.
Dreamworld:
Light Metal: This user's weight is halved.

Code:
[B]Level-Up Moves[/B]
Start Bullet Punch
Start Quick Attack
Start Leer
Lv5 Focus Energy
Lv9 Pursuit
Lv13 False Swipe
Lv17 Agility
Lv21 Metal Claw
Lv25 Fury Cutter
Lv29 Slash
Lv33 Razor Wind
Lv37 Iron Defense
Lv41 X-Scissor
Lv45 Night Slash
Lv49 Double Hit
Lv53 Iron Head
Lv57 Swords Dance
Lv61 Feint

[B]TM/HMs Learned[/B]
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM32 Brick Break
TM37 Sandstorm
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM54 False Swipe
TM56 Fling
TM62 Acrobatics
TM68 Giga Impact
TM75 Swords Dance
TM76 Stuggle Bug
TM81 X-Scissor
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Rock Smash
HM01 Cut
HM04 Strength

[B]Egg Moves[/B]
Baton Pass
Bug Buzz
Counter
Defog
Endure
Night Slash
Razor Wind
Reversal
Silver Wind
Steel Wing

Double / Triple battle set

Scizor @ Flying Gem
adamant, technician
180 HP / 252 Attack / 76 Special defense
-bug bite
-bullet punch
-acrobatics
-protect

This scizor works well on a rain team, taking out threats that many common rain sweepers cant handle. The special defense EVs allow scizor to shrug off Latios' attacks and OHKO back with bug bite. Bug bite also eats any passho or yache berries, which can prove extremely useful later in the game. Acrobatics gets the ohko on breloom, virizion, and yanmega, and bullet punch finishes off Focus Sash users and weavile.

Since this is GBU rules, and item clause is in effect, Metal Coat could be viable over Choice Band. It will make Bullet Punch hit equally as hard. Then, when an opponent thinks they have a safe switch in, you still have the option to switch moves.

I've also found the following set quite good in both singles and triples in the rain...

Scizor @ Metal Coat/Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Nature: Careful
EVs: 200 HP/58 Atk/252 SpDef
Moveset:
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite/Quick Attack/Pursuit
-Roost

Jolly Gliscor +2 Earthquake is a 3HKO, and most unboosted fire type attacks in the rain won't OHKO.

Chadelure, Heatran, and Jellicent usually wall you (unless you run Pursuit in the cases of Chandelure and Jellicent).

Most other bulky Steel types beat you if you run Quick Attack (Metagross and Bronzong can be handled with Bug Bite, while Steelix and Agron should still get beat with Bullet Punch).

Quick Attack is a great option to deal with the likes of pretty much any faster-than-Scizor fire type not named Heatran, and is also the best option versus Gyarados.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Metal Coat is a 1.2x boost to Steel-type attacks, while Choice Band is a 1.5x boost, a significant difference in power. For this reason, Metal Coat is vastly outclassed by Life Orb for an attacking set. Also hyping muffinhead's set, it gets super effective coverage on literally everything that gives rain teams issues.

Metal Coat is a 1.2x boost to Steel-type attacks, while Choice Band is a 1.5x boost, a significant difference in power. For this reason, Metal Coat is vastly outclassed by Life Orb for an attacking set. Also hyping muffinhead's set, it gets super effective coverage on literally everything that gives rain teams issues.
It's not really that big of a difference, and most battlers won't immediately notice the .3 damage difference. Bluffing the Choice Band with Bullet Punch isn't hard since it gets priority.

Jolly Scizor with Scarf sees some play, which could make up for the .3 damage if a smart batter played their bluff well.

Can someone test in game if Flying Gem Acrobatics gets the technician boost or not. I would also like to add that Scizor does get Tailwind and makes an excellent bulky user of the move and I think it should get a mention.

Also what would Acrobatics be used for when Breloom outspeeds anyways and attack + Bullet Punch KOs it. Yanmega is 2HKOd by LO Bullet Punch and LO Bug Bite OHKOs Tyranitar. Bug Bite + Bullet Punch KOs Virizion. This basically only has Acrobatics useful for Yanmega, however if it gets the technician boost the first time it is used then it can become a VERY good move if used like that, however I doubt it will but would like someone to test it. Life Orb best item for an offensive set in my opinion while occa more for a defensive set, especially if using Tailwind, but Scizor is bulky enough in any situation so it can make use of the move with nearly any item.

breh

強いだね
no, it does not. iirc this was on the research thread somehwere. its bp is 110 when you have no item, not 55*2 or anything like that.

I can't remember for what it was used, but I remember seeing cool use for Acrobatics... it kills machamp? I can't remember.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Ingame it does not get the Technician boost, with or without a Flying Gem (I told you this on IRC before!). This was confirmed in the research thread.

Flying Gem Acrobatics always OHKOes Abomasnow (which is big) and does more damage to Gyarados than any other move on the set.

Due to single battles not being too long and big hits always being nice, I use a Steel Gem on my Scizor. It has caught a few things off guard and knocked a few things out that an un-boosted one wouldn't. I'm not really too much of a fan of Choice Band on the GBU...

Ingame it does not get the Technician boost, with or without a Flying Gem (I told you this on IRC before!). This was confirmed in the research thread.
Yeah but it isn't fixed on Pokemon Online yet which is very annoying.

Flying Gem Acrobatics always OHKOes Abomasnow (which is big) and does more damage to Gyarados than any other move on the set.
Can't do much to Gyarados anyways, and Bug Bite OHKOs Abomasnow, it is part grass. Bug Bite also would be the better move on Gyarados so you don't have to worry about Wacan, but that's only if you run something with thunderbolt/discharge on your team.

Due to single battles not being too long and big hits always being nice, I use a Steel Gem on my Scizor. It has caught a few things off guard and knocked a few things out that an un-boosted one wouldn't. I'm not really too much of a fan of Choice Band on the GBU...
I might have been one of those people you caught off guard. >_<
Nice tactic.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
What's an example of a Pokemon that Steel Gem Scizor gets an unexpected KO on? I can think of like Choice Scarf Abomasnow, but nothing much else. Human, I can see where you're coming from with Acrobatics, and I can see Superpower/Brick Break or (really gimmicky) Wacan Berry with Natural Gift as viable options over it to hits Steel-types such as Excadrill or to do about 80% to non-Wacan Gyarados (if I recall correctly, that might be a little off).

EDIT: It actually OHKOes non-Wacan Gyarados after Intimidate, and does about 70% damage to Wacan Gyara without Intimidate.

I don't tend to run calculations, so I can't give you anything definite - but the GBU is a lot different to 6 on 6 battles and the surprise power does come in handy from time to time.

Especially after a Swords Dance (which is a nice boost Choice Banded Scizors cannot get), a Steel Gem Bullet Punch OHKOs Volcarona, Cloyster, Latios, and such... and if I have no more use for the Scizor after they bring in Infernape or whatever, it still does a massive chunk to things like them. Getting 80% on something unexpectedly is nice too...

My Scizor at the moment is:

Scizor @ Steel Gem
Adamant / Technician
200 HP / 252 Attack / 58 Speed
-Superpower
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance

I've been using Scizor in the GBU since the first build of my new team, and it's well ace. Can't remember what EVs it has but yeah solid Pokémon. Plays nothing like what it does in singles though.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Baz Anderson, you're using U-turn alongside Swords Dance. Isn't that rather counterproductive, especially when trying to sweep with your Bug-type STAB?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I've seen that same Scizor set (with a diff item) used in gen 4 OU a few times. I'd imagine the set has both scouting and sweeping in mind, and it could also bluff a non-boosting set, which can be used to catch the opponent off guard and sweep later. Steel Gem is not a bad item choice actually, given the fact that GBU Singles tend to be pretty fast paced. Definitely something worth trying out in the 3v3 metagame.

Baz Anderson, you're using U-turn alongside Swords Dance. Isn't that rather counterproductive, especially when trying to sweep with your Bug-type STAB?
Yeh, I had this thought too - because I used to have X-Scissor on it instead (wish I'd have Move Tutored it Bug Bite...) - but the only time I ever used to use X-Scissor was against Slowbro and Metagross... so I'm not actually missing it as an attacking move at all (not yet anyway...). The usefulness of U-turn has outweighed the few uses I got out of X-Scissor so far.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
moof hates non-Prankster Tailwind lol

Also Acrobatics KOes Toxicroak, which is an important reason to use it over Brick Break/Superpower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)