252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Brave
ivs: 0 Spe
ability: Guts
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch / Payback
- Detect / Bullet Punch
  • Fake Out incapacitates an opponent for a turn, allowing a partner to set up Trick Room more easily.
  • With a Guts boost, Close Combat hits incredibly hard, OHKOing most neutral targets, while Ice Punch hits most Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks such as the genies and Latios for super effective damage.
  • Since Hariyama has issues with damaging Ghost-types such as Jellicent or Dusclops, a Ghost-type Trick Room user such as Chandelure or Cofagrigus can set up Trick Room for Hariyama and deal good damage with their STAB Shadow Ball.
  • Payback is an option over Ice Punch or Protect to hit Ghost-types such as Chandelure, Jellicent, and Dusclops for super effective damage, doing huge damage with a Guts boost. It's especially useful because Hariyama can't be crippled by burn, making Ghost-types rather easily to deal with. Bullet Punch is useful priority which can nullify a Focus Sash or pick off a Pokemon that's almost dead, and helps especially against Zapdos, which requires Fake Out or Bullet Punch to always die to Ice Punch.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Does it learn Drain Punch? if it does, it could be listed behind CC, as the defense drops lower Hariyama's bulk.
Unfortunately it doesnt. Cross chop is the next best move, but i stick with close combat. This thing wrecks under trickroom. guts boosted close combats are a pain to deal with. stone edge i believe deserves a slash in as cc still ohko's many things weak to ice namely chomp without having to deal with yache. Stone edge also hits zapdos, the genies not named landourous, and gyrados considerably harder.

Among my favorite Pokemon in Trick Room in Gen IV. I don't see anything that's especially nerfed him this generation besides maybe the use of Flame Orb being a little more dangerous with battles a little more drawn out. The addition of two very potent Ghost-types, both of which are even better in Doubles, can use Trick Room, and resist Ice Punch (in addition to being immune to Close Combat, of course), might be another thing to keep in mind, and an argument for the use of a Rock-type move secondary to Ice Punch.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Low Kick would be the next best option after Close Combat, as it still attains many of the KOs CC does but without the defense drop. Cross Chop's accuracy makes it effectively useless. Close Combat is the best option though, as Low Kick's low BP against many targets makes it very bad as a primary STAB attack.

Garchomp isn't OHKOed by Guts Close Combat, but it does die to Ice Punch. In addition, Thundurus and Tornadus already die easily to Ice Punch. Zapdos already dies to Fake Out + Ice Punch, making Stone Edge better only against Gyarados, and since Hariyama should be paired with a Trick Room user, which are typically special attackers, Gyarados isn't much of a problem, as Hariyama can take any hit from it rather easily. And I really don't want to rely upon Stone Edge's accuracy.

EDIT: Added Payback and Bullet Punch

Payback hits Jellicent, Chandelure, and bulky Ghost-types Dusclops and Cofagrigus for super effective damage. It might seem counterintuitive in Trick Room, but it can use Payback turn one before Trick Room goes up for huge damage, and it underspeeds Dusclops and Cofagrigus in Trick Room, and can hit them with a super effective 100 BP attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)