Bisharp (Analysis)

[Overview]

<p>Bisharp really seems like an unassuming Pokemon at first. His typing leaves him with weaknesses to Fire, Ground, and Fighting, which is horrible when they're the most common attacking types in UU. Bisharp's Speed leaves much to be desired, as many dangerous Pokemon can outspeed him. His Special Defense is similarly flawed, making it quite hard to switch in on neutral special attacks. Bisharp also suffers from a so-so movepool. Don't get me wrong, it's not Raikou-level shallow, but having to rely on Brick Break for coverage is just terrible. Even if you shove away all these flaws, there is one that is impossible to refute: Bisharp is just plain hard to use. All these setbacks seem to culminate into a decidedly medicore Pokemon.</p>

<p>However, Bisharp's perks are more than enough to turn the Kamen Rider look-alike into a potent sweeper. Bisharp is blessed with Sucker Punch, which helps circumvent his medicore Speed, and hits hard with 125 base Attack and STAB. Bisharp is also the only Pokemon aside from Absol with access to Swords Dance + Sucker Punch. Unlike Absol, Bisharp has a much easier time with setting up thanks to his typing. It grants Bisharp a wide array of resistances, which also makes setting up on Choice-locked Pokemon much easier. 100 base Defense also helps a lot in this, allowing Bisharp to really abuse those resistances. Defiant is really the cherry on top, turning Intimidate from a hindrance into something Bisharp welcomes, giving him a free Attack boost. While it may not fit on every team, Bisharp is a deadly force in UU.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Brick Break / Iron Head
move 4: Night Slash
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Defiant
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It seems next to impossible for Bisharp to set up a Swords Dance because of his weaknesses and medicore Speed; while this isn't completely false, it's far from true. Bisharp's typing offers an excellent list of resists and two important immunities to Psychic and Poison to abuse. The fact that a good chunk of the types that Bisharp resist often find their way onto Choice sets just makes it even better. Base 100 Defense also helps with setting up on weaker physical attacks and tanking weak Earthquakes.</p>

<p>Sucker Punch offers a ton of use beyond sweeping. You can use it for revenge killing weakened or frail sweepers, or as a method for procuring a Swords Dance. The power that Bisharp holds with a Swords Dance under his belt is just ridiculous. For example, after a Swords Dance, Sucker Punch can cleanly KO Hearcross with a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Brick Break hits the Fighting-, Dark-, and Steel-types that would attempt to tank Sucker Punch. Iron Head cleanly OHKOes Hitmontop and Machamp, while also hitting Hippowdon and Rhyperior harder than Bisharps othet options. While it seems redundant to use Night Slash along side Sucker Punch, it allows Bisharp to eviscerate bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types that would much rather stall out Bisharp's Sucker Punch PP than attack. Night Slash also helps immensely when facing defensive teams because it has 24 PP compared to Sucker Punches pitiful 8.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs are standard fare: max Attack for power, and max HP for bulk. Life Orb gives even more power to Bisharp for sweeping and revenge-killing. However, Leftovers makes Bisharp into more of a bulky sweeper, abusing his great resistances much more. Lum Berry can be used if you're deathly afraid of status, but unless you're up against a defensive team, it ends up useless. Bisharp can invest in his Speed to outspeed certain walls and slower sweepers, but he loses some bulk in return. Honestly, Bisharp's EV spread can be customized to fit the needs of the user's team, so don't be afraid to experiment. As for move options, Bisharp's a bit starved, but there are a few choices. Psycho Cut can be used if you really want Hitmontop out of the picture, and it hits other Fighting-types and Weezing hard. Low Sweep seems good to catch faster Pokemon on the switch, but in reality, even with the Speed drop, the majority of faster Pokemon will still outspeed Bisharp unless he runs Speed EVs. It's also weaker than Brick Break, which makes sweeping even harder for Bisharp.</p>

<p>Unsurprisingly, Bisharp finds entry hazards to be invaluable to wear down the opponent's team and score key KOes. For setting up Stealth Rock, it honestly depends on whether you would prefer an offensive setter such as Azelf, Mamoswine, or Rhyperior, or a more defensive setter such as Registeel, Hippowdon, or Empoleon. Spikes are much more limited, the only options being Deoxys-D, Roserade, or Froslass. Bisharp also appreciates some offensive support from strong special attackers to destroy the physical walls that he attracts. Choice Specs Raikou works greatly, and it has Volt Switch to further abuse entry hazards and help Bisharp get in safely. Roserade is another great choice, as she can use Sleep Powder to incapacitate potential obstacles to Bisharp's sweep. In return, Bisharp rewards these special attackers by setting up on and destroying most of the walls that can take them on.</p>

<p>With such a reliance on Sucker Punch, it should come as no surprise that Bisharp hates non-attacking moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Substitute, the former heavily crippling Bisharp, and the latter giving the opponent a free KO on Bisharp. Milotic is perhaps the greatest Bisharp counter, being able to Haze away Bisharp's Swords Dance, Recover off damage, and potentially burn Bisharp with Scald. Hippowdon also walls Bisharp quite easily, and can bury him with Earthquake. Cobalion is the best check you can find, 4x resisting Sucker Punch, and his massive Defense allows him to shrug off a predicted Brick Break, and OHKO with Close Combat or Focus Blast. Fighting-types in general work well against Bisharp, but they are required to be at high HP, or they risk being KOed by Brick Break. Of course, if you can manage to stop Bisharp from setting up a Swords Dance, he becomes much easier to handle.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice Band set with Pursuit is viable, but Bisharp has no good move that he can be Choice-locked into, and Choiced Sucker Punch is the embodiment of set-up bait. Thunder Wave can ruin the usual switch-ins to Bisharp and provides team support. Stealth Rock sounds appealing, but unfortunately it is illegal with Sucker Punch. Rock Polish boosts Bisharp's medicore Speed, but he manages well enough with Sucker Punch. Taunt helps against stall teams, but it cuts into Bisharps already limited coverage, and forces Bisharp to use Sucker Punch to hit Pokemon not weak to Fighting. Stone Edge hits Zapdos and Moltres, but unless you hit either one on the switch, they'll just OHKO Bisharp. Substitute is a good move for helping ease prediction with Sucker Punch, but once again, relying on an 8 PP move as your main sweeping move is foolish. X-Scissor is an option for 2HKOing Tangrowth at +2, but it has no use outside that.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bisharp is annoyingly hard to counter with that incredibly strong Sucker Punch and Defiant stopping Intimidate from working, but there are Pokemon that can stop him. For defensive teams, Milotic is one of the greatest counters, Hazing away Bisharps boosts, Recovering off any damage, and potentially burning Bisharp with Scald. Hippowdon isn't far behind, stomaching a +2 Night Slash easily and either Roaring Bisharp out, or just shattering him with Earthquake. Tangrowth can also go toe-to-toe with Bisharp, only being 3HKOed by a +2 Night Slash and disabling Bisharp with Sleep Powder, or hitting back with Earthquake. For more offensive answers, Cobalion is really your best bet, taking around 50% from a predicted Brick Brick Break, 4x resisting Sucker Punch, and OHKOing with Focus Blast or Close Combat. Rhyperior can take a +2 Brick Break at full health and demolish Bisharp with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Hitmontop and Machamp are also able to take a hit at full health, and retaliate with Close Combat and DynamicPunch, respectively. Bisharp's reliance on Sucker Punch does mean that faster Substitute users can throw up a Substitute as Bisharp futilely Sucker Punches, and then score a KO. Faster Will-O-Wisp users such as Mismagius, Mew, Sableye and Rotom-A can heavily cripple Bisharp, but both Mew and Mismagius will still get torn open by a +2 Night Slash.</p>

No mention of Iron Head anywhere?

Taunt somewhere in AC/OO?

Toxic, Poison Jab, Stone Edge, X-Scissor, Shadow Claw in OO? They all kind of suck but they could probably find some use against specific guys : \

Finally Rock Polish/Double Dance might be worthy of its own set so you should probably look into that.

Fuck, don't know how I missed Iron Head and Taunt >_>. The only other thing that I would put into OO is Stone Edge to hit Zapdos harder, because all the other things you isted are quite useless for Bisharp. I really don't think that a Rock Polish/Double Dance set is worth it because Bisharp's main selling point is Swords Dance + Sucker Punch.

Mention Substitute somewhere in there, as it is a very good move on Bisharp. It does lose a lot of coverage though, so a CC mention could suffice.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You need to mention that while Bisharp is pretty tough once it gets going, players in general will attempt to play around the infamous Sucker Punch with support moves, like a Mew with Will-o-Wisp.
I would personally also put in a mention of Lum Berry simply to lure in and defeat defensive status users, and gain a second boost for Milotic. Perhaps there is a specific Speed tier in which Bisharp can invest to outrun as well?

I sorta mentioned that in Checks and Counters, but i'll expand on it when I actually write it. Lum Berry will get an AC mention unless QC really wants it to be a slash. And from what I see, Bisharp really isn't outrunning anything important with Speed EVs except Milotic, which is getting into Speed creep territory. If someone can provide evidence for Speed EVs, i'm all for it.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
It would be best to mention that Psycho Cut is illegal with Sucker Punch. Bearing this in mind, I'm not sure it deserves even an AC mention.

Also, Pursuit certainly deserves at least an OO mention. (works well in conjunction with sucker punch, and can be used on Band/Scarf set)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Toxicroak is in the same egg group as Bisharp and has access to both Sucker Punch and Psycho Cut, so I think the combination is legal. I agree with the pursuit mention.

NOPE STILL ILLEGAL. So yeah I guess it doesn't deserve an AC mention.

You guys are all forgteing about Spinda :P, and I already mentioned Psycho Cut in AC. Will mention Pursuit in OO.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I actually like Pursuit moreso than Night Slash, just because trapping Celebi, Froslass, and Deo-D are my favorite things in the world. IMO slash Pursuit next to it.

QC 2/3

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are we still working on this? I was looking for his analysis just now and noticed it wasn't on the site.

Are we still working on this? I was looking for his analysis just now and noticed it wasn't on the site.

Yeah i'm still working. Just ran into a large bout of school work and writers block. The full analysis should be up by Saturday at the latest.

breh

強いだね
if this is to be worked on, slashes of iron head need to be added. I'm not sure how you'd incoporate it, but you need to.

also, a sub set.

this thing looks kind of outdated with the celebi mentions but one thing is life orb really hinders his bulk, reducing his ability to tank/set up on stoutland's frustration, so i recommend you slash leftovers on the sd set because imo you're butchering one of sharp's best niches in the current metagame.

a specific sub set probably isn't even needed though. i'd just slash sub first with night slash on standard sd. on subsd dual stab with sucker punch + iron head is normally the way to go, really wants to hit roar Hippowdon harder than brick break.

a tank set with Pursuit / Iron Head / Sucker Punch / Thunder Wave @ leftovers is also pretty good.

Uh, the only Celebi mentions are in OO I belive, and that section and Checks and Counters are going to be fully re-written anyway. I am not slashing Substitute on Swords Dance or making a sperate set for it. Really, I think Substitute is a wildly over-rated move on Bisharp, considering how much preditction Bisharp already acquires to be effective, and it leaves Bisharp still beaten by walls because they can stall out Sucker Punch. If someone else wants to write up a tank set, go right ahead, but I don't have any experience with it to write it up. Leftovers does work on Swords Dance Bisharp, however, and I will be slsahing it in.

Edit: Do not GP check yet. I'm going to check over my writing tomorrow to see what I can find myself.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Uh, the only Celebi mentions are in OO I belive, and that section and Checks and Counters are going to be fully re-written anyway. I am not slashing Substitute on Swords Dance or making a sperate set for it. Really, I think Substitute is a wildly over-rated move on Bisharp, considering how much preditction Bisharp already acquires to be effective, and it leaves Bisharp still beaten by walls because they can stall out Sucker Punch. If someone else wants to write up a tank set, go right ahead, but I don't have any experience with it to write it up. Leftovers does work on Swords Dance Bisharp, however, and I will be slsahing it in.
I don't normally venture to this part of the site but Bisharp peeked my interest. I can say with almost 100% certainty that I use Bisharp more than anyone else with some of the best results. Hands down the best set is Sucker punch Iron head swords dance substitute. The substitute eases prediction if anything while protecting from status. Iron head and sucker punch give good enough coverage with only bulky waters and specifically empoleon giving too much trouble. I strongly urge the use of substitute.

So you use Substitute on a switch. Now what? Your opponent is not going to send out something that can get destroied by Sucker Punch, and being walled completely by bulky water's is a huge deal. The worst thing about Substitute is that it's really counter-intutitive to how Bisharp plays. He switches in a resist, and goes from there. Substitute just means that you cut into Bisharps HP, making it harder for him to switch in on attacks like Stoutlands Return.

Edit: This is ready for GP checks.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2

[Overview]

<p>Bisharp really seems like an unassuming Pokemon at first. His typing leaves him with weaknesses to Fire, Ground, and Fighting, which is horrible when they're the most common attacking types in UU. Bisharp's Speed leaves much to be desired, leaving him in the dust of many dangerous Pokemon. His Special Defense is similarly flawed, making it quite hard to switch in on neutral special attacks. Bisharp also suffers from a so-so movepool. Don't get me wrong, it's not Raikou-level shallow, but having to rely on Brick Break for coverage is just terrible. Even if you shove away all these flaws, there is one that is impossible to refute: Bisharp is just plain hard to use. All these flaws seem to culminate into a decidedly medicore Pokemon.</p>

<p>However, Bisharp's perks are more than enough to turn the Kamen Rider look-alike into a potent sweeper. Bisharp is blessed with Sucker Punch, which helps circumvent his medicore Speed, and hits hard with 125 base Attack and STAB. Bisharp is also the only Pokemon aside from Absol with access to Swords Dance + Sucker Punch. Unlike with Absol, Bisharp has a much easier time with setting up thanks to his typing. It grants Bisharp a wide array of resistances, which also makes setting up on Choice-locked Pokemon much easier. 100 base Defense also helps a lot in this, allowing Bisharp to really abuse those resistances. Defiant is really the cherry on top, turning Intimidate from a hindrance into something Bisharp welcomes, giving him a free +1. While it may not fit on every team, Bisharp is a deadly force in UU, and should never be taken lightly.</p>

[Set]

move 3: Brick Break
item: Life Orb

[Set Comments]

<p>It seems like it would be next to impossible for Bisharp to set up a Swords Dance because of his weaknesses to Ground-, Fire-, and Fighting-type moves and his medicore Speed;(semi colon) while this isn't completely false, it's far from true. Bisharp's typing offers an excellent list of resists and two important immunities to Psychic and Poison to abuse. The fact that a good chunk of the types that Bisharp resist often find their way onto Choice sets just makes it even better. Base 100 Defense also helps with setting up on weaker physical attacks and tanking weak Earthquakes.</p>

<p>Sucker Punch offers a ton of use beyond sweeping. You can use it for revenge killing weakened or frail sweepers, or as a method for procuring a Swords Dance. The power that Bisharp holds with a Swords Dance under his belt is just ridiculous. For example, after a Swords Dance, Sucker Punch can cleanly KO Hearcross with a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Brick Break hits the Fighting-, Dark-, and Steel-types that would attempt to tank Sucker Punch. While it seems redundant to use Night Slash because Bisharp is already using along side Sucker Punch, it allows Bisharp to eviscerate bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types that would much rather stall out Bisharp's Sucker Punch PP than attack. Night Slash also helps immensely when facing defensive teams because it has 24 PP compared to Sucker Punches pitiful 8.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs are your standard fare: max Attack for power, and HP is maxed for bulk. Life Orb gives even more power to Bisharp for sweeping and revenge-killing. If you want to abuse Bisharp's resistances more, Leftovers is are an option as well. Lum Berry can be used if you're deathly afraid of status, but unless you're up against a defensive team, it ends up useless. Bisharp can invest in his Speed to outspeed certain walls and slower sweepers, but he loses some bulk in return. Honestly, Bisharp's EV spread can be customized to fit the needs of the user's team, so don't be afraid to experiment. As for move options, Bisharp's a bit starved, but there are a few choices. Psycho Cut can be used if you really want Hitmontop out of the picture to just fail at his job, and it hits other Fighting-types and Weezing hard. Low Sweep seems good to catch faster Pokemon on the switch, but in reality, even with the Speed drop, the majority of faster Pokemon will still outspeed Bisharp unless he runs Speed EVs. It's also even weaker than Brick Break, which makes sweeping even harder for Bisharp. Iron Head is an option over Night Slash if you want to cleanly OHKO Fighting-types, but the Fighting-types that Iron Head hits all lack reliable recovery, so they can be worn down with ease.</p>

<p>Unsurprisingly, Bisharp finds entry hazards to be invaluable to wear down the opponent's team and score key KOes. For setting up Stealth Rock, it honestly depends on whether you would prefer an offensive setter such as Azelf, Mamoswine, or Rhyperior, or a more defensive setter such as Registeel, Hippowdon, or Empoleon. Spikes are much more limited, the only options being Deoxys-D, Roserade, or Froslass. Bisharp also appreciates some offensive support from strong special attackers to destroy the physical walls that he attracts. Choice Specs Raikou works greatly, and it has Volt Switch to further abuse entry hazards and help Bisharp get in safely. Roserade is another great choice,(remove comma) as she can use Sleep Powder to incapacitate potential obstacles to Bisharps sweep. In return, Bisharp rewards these special attackers by setting up on and destroying most of the walls that can take them on.</p>

<p>With such a reliance on Sucker Punch, it should come as no surprise that Bisharp hates non-attacking moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Substitute, the former heavily crippling Bisharp,(comma) and the latter giving the opponent a free KO on Bisharp. Milotic is perhaps the greatest Bisharp counter, being able to Haze away Bisharp's Swords Dance, Recover (are you referring to the stat?)off damage, and potentially burn Bisharp with Scald. Hippowdon also walls Bisharp quite easily, and can bury him with Earthquake. Cobalion is the best check you can find, 4x resisting Sucker Punch, and his massive Defense allows him to shrug off a predicted Brick Break, and OHKO with Close Combat or Focus Blast. Fighting-types in general work well against Bisharp, but they are required to be at high HP, or they risk being KOed by Brick Break. Of course, if you can manage to stop Bisharp from setting up a Swords Dance, he becomes much more easier to handle.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice Band set with Pursuit is viable, but Bisharp has no good move that he can be Choice-locked into, and Choiced Sucker Punch is the inbodiment of set-up bait. Thunder Wave can ruin the usual switch-ins to Bisharp and provide team support. Stealth Rock sounds appealing, but unfortunately it is illegal with Sucker Punch. Rock Polish boosts Bisharp's medicore Speed, but he manages well enough with Sucker Punch. Taunt helps against stall teams, but it cuts into Bisharps already limited coverage, and forces Bisharp to use Sucker Punch to hit Pokemon not weak to Fighting. Stone Edge hits Zapdos and Moltres, but unless you hit either one on the switch, they'll just OHKO Bisharp. Substitute is a good move for helping ease prediction with Sucker Punch, but once again, relying on an 8 PP move as your main sweeping move is foolish. X-Scissor is an option for 2HKOing Tangrowth at +2, but it has no use outside that.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bisharp is annoyingly hard to counter with that incredibly strong Sucker Punch and Defiant stopping Intimidate from working, but there are Pokemon that stop him. For defensive teams, Milotic is one of the greatest counters, Hazing away Bisharps boosts, Recovering (same as the previous mention, capitalize if you're referring to the move) off any damage, and potentially burning Bisharp with Scald. Hippowdon isn't far behind, stomaching a +2 Night Slash easily and either Roaring Bisharp out, or just shattering him with Earthquake. Tangrowth can also go toe-to-toe with Bisharp, only being 3HKOed by a +2 Night Slash and disabling Bisharp with Sleep Powder, or hitting back with Earthquake. For more offensive answers, Cobalion is really your best bet, taking around 50% from a predicted Brick Brick Break, 4x resisting Sucker Punch, and OHKOing with Focus Blast or Close Combat. Rhyperior can take a +2 Brick Break at full health, and demolish Bisharp with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Hitmontop and Machamp are also able to take a hit at full health, and retaliate with Close Combat and DynamicPunch,(comma) respectively. Bisharps reliance on Sucker Punch does mean that faster Substitute users can throw up a Substitute as Bisharp futily Sucker Punches, and than score a KO. Faster Will-O-Wisp users such as Mismagius, Mew, and Rotom-A can heavily cripple Bisharp, but both Mew and Mismagius will still get torn open by a +2 Night Slash.</p>

Very few 'errors', I was just being picky cause this was a great analysis. Well done :)

Edit
Remove

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
so this got ready today and maybe i should work on older stuff but

[Overview]

<p>Bisharp really seems like an unassuming Pokemon at first. His typing leaves him with weaknesses to Fire, Ground, and Fighting, which is horrible when they're the most common attacking types in UU. Bisharp's Speed leaves much to be desired, as many dangerous Pokemon can outspeed him. leaving him in the dust of many dangerous Pokemon. His Special Defense is similarly flawed, making it quite hard to switch in on neutral special attacks. I wouldn't say base 70 is that bad Bisharp also suffers from a so-so movepool. Don't get me wrong, it's not Raikou-level shallow, but having to rely on Brick Break for coverage is just terrible. Even if you shove away all these flaws, there is one that is impossible to refute: Bisharp is just plain hard to use. All these setbacks flaws seem to culminate into a decidedly medicore Pokemon.</p>

<p>However, Bisharp's perks are more than enough to turn the Kamen Rider Overall B+ reference C: look-alike into a potent sweeper. Bisharp is blessed with Sucker Punch, which helps circumvent his medicore Speed, and hits hard with 125 base Attack and STAB. Bisharp is also the only Pokemon aside from Absol with access to Swords Dance + Sucker Punch. Unlike Absol, Bisharp has a much easier time with setting up thanks to his typing. It grants Bisharp a wide array of resistances, which also makes setting up on Choice-locked Pokemon much easier. 100 base Defense also helps a lot in this, allowing Bisharp to really abuse those resistances. Defiant is really the cherry on top, turning Intimidate from a hindrance into something Bisharp welcomes, giving him a free Attack boost +1. While it may not fit on every team, Bisharp is a deadly force in UU, and should never be taken lightly.</p>

[Set]

move 3: Brick Break
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

[Set Comments]

<p>It seems like it would be next to impossible for Bisharp to set up a Swords Dance because of his weaknesses and medicore Speed; while this isn't completely false, it's far from true. Bisharp's typing offers an excellent list of resists and two important immunities to Psychic and Poison to abuse. The fact that a good chunk of the types that Bisharp resist often find their way onto Choice sets just makes it even better. Base 100 Defense also helps with setting up on weaker physical attacks and tanking weak Earthquakes.</p>

<p>Sucker Punch offers a ton of use beyond sweeping. You can use it for revenge killing weakened or frail sweepers, or as a method for procuring a Swords Dance. The power that Bisharp holds with a Swords Dance under his belt is just ridiculous. For example, after a Swords Dance, Sucker Punch can cleanly KO Hearcross with a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Brick Break hits the Fighting-, Dark-, and Steel-types that would attempt to tank Sucker Punch. While it seems redundant to use Night Slash along side Sucker Punch, it allows Bisharp to eviscerate bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types that would much rather stall out Bisharp's Sucker Punch PP than attack. Night Slash also helps immensely when facing defensive teams because it has 24 PP compared to Sucker Punches pitiful 8.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs are your standard fare: max Attack for power, and max HP for bulk. HP is maxed for bulk. Life Orb gives even more power to Bisharp for sweeping and revenge-killing. However, Leftovers makes Bisharp into more of a bulky sweeper, abusing his great resistances much more. Lum Berry can be used if you're deathly afraid of status, but unless you're up against a defensive team, it ends up useless. Bisharp can invest in his Speed to outspeed certain walls and slower sweepers, but he loses some bulk in return. Honestly, Bisharp's EV spread can be customized to fit the needs of the user's team, so don't be afraid to experiment. As for move options, Bisharp's a bit starved, but there are a few choices. Psycho Cut can be used if you really want Hitmontop out of the picture, and it hits other Fighting-types and Weezing hard. Low Sweep seems good to catch faster Pokemon on the switch, but in reality, even with the Speed drop, the majority of faster Pokemon will still outspeed Bisharp unless he runs Speed EVs. It's also weaker than Brick Break, which makes sweeping even harder for Bisharp. Iron Head is an option over Night Slash if you want to cleanly OHKO Fighting-types, but the Fighting-types that Iron Head hits all lack reliable recovery, so they can be worn down with ease.</p>

<p>Unsurprisingly, Bisharp finds entry hazards to be invaluable to wear down the opponent's team and score key KOes. For setting up Stealth Rock, it honestly depends on whether you would prefer an offensive setter such as Azelf, Mamoswine, or Rhyperior, or a more defensive setter such as Registeel, Hippowdon, or Empoleon. Spikes are much more limited, the only options being Deoxys-D, Roserade, or Froslass. Bisharp also appreciates some offensive support from strong special attackers to destroy the physical walls that he attracts. Choice Specs Raikou works greatly, and it has Volt Switch to further abuse entry hazards and help Bisharp get in safely. Roserade is another great choice,[comma] as she can use Sleep Powder to incapacitate potential obstacles to Bisharp'[apos]s sweep. In return, Bisharp rewards these special attackers by setting up on and destroying most of the walls that can take them on.</p>

<p>With such a reliance on Sucker Punch, it should come as no surprise that Bisharp hates non-attacking moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Substitute, the former heavily crippling Bisharp, and the latter giving the opponent a free KO on Bisharp. Milotic is perhaps the greatest Bisharp counter, being able to Haze away Bisharp's Swords Dance, Recover off damage, and potentially burn Bisharp with Scald. Hippowdon also walls Bisharp quite easily, and can bury him with Earthquake. Cobalion is the best check you can find, 4x resisting Sucker Punch, and his massive Defense allows him to shrug off a predicted Brick Break, and OHKO with Close Combat or Focus Blast. Fighting-types in general work well against Bisharp, but they are required to be at high HP, or they risk being KOed by Brick Break. Of course, if you can manage to stop Bisharp from setting up a Swords Dance, he becomes much easier to handle.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice Band set with Pursuit is viable, but Bisharp has no good move that he can be Choice-locked into, and Choiced Sucker Punch is the inbodiment embodiment of set-up bait. Thunder Wave can ruin the usual switch-ins to Bisharp and provides[add s] team support. Stealth Rock sounds appealing, but unfortunately it is illegal with Sucker Punch. Rock Polish boosts Bisharp's medicore Speed, but he manages well enough with Sucker Punch. Taunt helps against stall teams, but it cuts into Bisharps already limited coverage, and forces Bisharp to use Sucker Punch to hit Pokemon not weak to Fighting. Stone Edge hits Zapdos and Moltres, but unless you hit either one on the switch, they'll just OHKO Bisharp. Substitute is a good move for helping ease prediction with Sucker Punch, but once again, relying on an 8 PP move as your main sweeping move is foolish. X-Scissor is an option for 2HKOing Tangrowth at +2, but it has no use outside that.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bisharp is annoyingly hard to counter with that incredibly strong Sucker Punch and Defiant stopping Intimidate from working, but there are Pokemon that can stop him. For defensive teams, Milotic is one of the greatest counters, Hazing away Bisharps boosts, Recovering off any damage, and potentially burning Bisharp with Scald. Hippowdon isn't far behind, stomaching a +2 Night Slash easily and either Roaring Bisharp out, or just shattering him with Earthquake. Tangrowth can also go toe-to-toe with Bisharp, only being 3HKOed by a +2 Night Slash and disabling Bisharp with Sleep Powder, or hitting back with Earthquake. For more offensive answers, Cobalion is really your best bet, taking around 50% from a predicted Brick Brick Break, 4x resisting Sucker Punch, and OHKOing with Focus Blast or Close Combat. Rhyperior can take a +2 Brick Break at full health,[remove comma] and demolish Bisharp with Earthquake. Bulky Fighting-types such as Hitmontop and Machamp are also able to take a hit at full health, and retaliate with Close Combat and DynamicPunch, respectively. Bisharp'[apostrophe]s reliance on Sucker Punch does mean that faster Substitute users can throw up a Substitute as Bisharp futily futilely Sucker Punches, and than then score a KO. Faster Will-O-Wisp users such as Mismagius, Mew, and Rotom-A can heavily cripple Bisharp, but both Mew and Mismagius will still get torn open by a +2 Night Slash.</p>

I hope you did a really good job otherwise I will feel very lazy

2/2

Upstart

Copy Cat
So you use Substitute on a switch. Now what? Your opponent is not going to send out something that can get destroied by Sucker Punch, and being walled completely by bulky water's is a huge deal. The worst thing about Substitute is that it's really counter-intutitive to how Bisharp plays. He switches in a resist, and goes from there. Substitute just means that you cut into Bisharps HP, making it harder for him to switch in on attacks like Stoutlands Return.

Edit: This is ready for GP checks.
Bisharp isn't getting past bulky waters bar empoleon with brick break over sub. Bisharp can't beat cune and milo has haze so the argument of bulky waters walling occurs independent of the set. And the sub is not counter intuitive it forces the opponent to attack. Many people want to avoid sucker punch with status or boost to predict around it. You can sub on the boosts or status and then proceed to battle with eased prediction. Diminishing HP isn't much of bisharps problem as last time i checked he is a sweeper with the intent of hitting hard not walling the tier. Also you have leftovers to heal you behind the sub.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Still no Iron Head slash? Come now. It's great for getting past Hippowdon, Machamp, and Hitmontop and does way more damage to Rhyperior than Brick Break. You're selling this guy short by not putting it in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)