OU Team:Major League Gaming (Peaked at 3...for now)

HELLO POKEMON RMT

Let me start off by introducing myself. I am bcam0991, i am a competitive wifi battler that post videos on youtube. I never appreciated how hard it is to actually become a good battler until i started playing Pokemon Online on the Smogon Server. I quickly realized that most of the people i would face had a far better understanding of the game than the ones i had battled over wifi. I understand that PO can't replace Wifi battles, but i think it is a necessary tool for anyone who actually wants to get become a high level player. That being said i would now love to share with all of you a team that i am proud very proud of.

Meet Team MLG 5 ( This is the actual name of my save file)

Does anyone notice anything cool about this team? Its a non-Stall non-Weather team!

I'm not much of a defensive player and most of my teams reflect that,especially this one.

Lets break down the team one by one.

Chiaotzu (Jirachi) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SAtk / 208 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Thunder
- Rain Dance

Jirachis is my go-to lead (I mean basically everytime unless i foresee a very unfavorable matchup).This set is probably the most debated Jirachi set of all time. I obviously need a Stealth Rocker, so there is his main role. The double paralysis inducing moves allow me to paralyze almost any pokemon, which i feel is important. The most interesting move I have on this set is Rain Dance. The real reason behind this move is to give me a fighting chance against sun teams. Most sun teams won't value their Drought Ninetales as highly if they see that you don't have weather starters on your team. This allows you to ruin any benefits they might have gotten from the sun. I meant for this set to be defensive so thats what the ev spread dictates. I chose to be specially defensive because Jirachi, i find that Jirachi resists a fair amount of the major physical moves and that most neutral hits are going to be coming from the special side. I have minor special attack investment just to ensure that Thunder does a good chunk to bulky water types that plague OU. The Air Baloon is a preference of mine, it allows me to get Rocks up against almost any Ground type poke who would love to destroy me with earthquake. I could see an argument for leftovers, but i usually treat Jirachi as an expendable lead who paralyzes my opponents early pokes while getting rocks up, so recovery is not that important to me.

Kakashi (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is just a very nice utility pokemon. It does different things at different times. Most of the time i abusing the great speed and decent attack of Starmie to deal massive damage to otherwise annoying pokemon for my team to face. Rapid Spin is just a great move that not all teams have access to and having such a fast spinner almost guarantees I will be able to get a spin off. Hidden Power Grass is almost a necessity in the current metagame. There are so many water types that this hits and there are plenty of ground/water types that this move destroys, this is the main reason i chose it over the more traditional thunderbolt. Leftovers gives Starmie that longevity needed to get timely spins off, thats about it. From here on out you are going to see nothing but offense. All my pokemon are going to have 252 evs in Atk/SpAtk and Speed, Starmie not excluded.

HERE COME THE BIG HITTERS

KingChile (Latios) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios is one of the premiere special attackers in OU and his inclusion on any offensive team seems like a no brainer. I am choosing Expert Belt as an item because it allows me to bluff choice (which i think is terrible in the current metagame, too many protect pokes), while also providing some extra offensive punch. This Latios has a great deal of weapons and he can destroy teams with that great speed and excellent move pool. If you notice, i dont have any Dragon type moves on this set. The reason behind this is that Dragon is not a very useful type , it does not provide much value for my Expert Belt because it only hits Other Dragons for super-effective damage. I find that Ice Beam deals with those threats sufficiently while allowing me to destroy Grass and Ground types as well. Psychic is the STAB move i went with because Conkeldurr was sort of a team threat and this move helps remedy that. Hidden Power Fire = Steel type hate .

DragonTale (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

I don't think i have to explain this set too much. This is Dragonite's most dangerous sweeping set, and it should be feared. This poke is my main win condition and is why Starmie's spinning is so crucial. If i can bring this guy in with Multiscale intact i am guaranteed at least one Dragon Dance ,which as most people will know is enough to tear through teams. Fire Punch is my steel hating move over Earthquake because Skarmory has no problem phasing me out so doing a major chunk with Fire Punch is appreciated (*cough* Ferrothorn). EQ is an option, just tread carefully. One quick note on Extremespeed, it is the real deal. Being able to revenge fast pokes with this move is so awesome, even without any dances up this move does work. Lum Berry helps prevent attempts to spoil a sweep with staus moves and also allows more confusion free attacks after i am done Raging.

It's Fine (Landorus) (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

This set is sort of the bread and butter of Landorus. It allows me to beat annoying steel and fire types , while also being powerful against Pokes like Dragonite and Gliscor with HP Ice. U-turn is great to create a Facade of being Choiced that also give me some much appreciated switch advantage. I feel his item is up to debate, Yache Berry is sweet because it gives me the opportunity to punish pokes who would otherwise knock me out with weaker Ice moves , like Hidden Power, Ice Punch, and Ice Shard. I wouldn't fault anyone for trying a more traditional item like Scarf, Expert Belt, or LifeOrb, trust me i have tried and i still prefer Yache, which i actually myself think is crazy as i write this lol.

RenaMon (Lucario) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- ThunderPunch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This Pokemon is definitely my favorite out of all of them , because it always has my opponents scratching their head after I destroy their team with it. Close Combat and Extremespeed(See Dragonite's Extremespeed Comments) are auto-includes on any physical Lucario...period. Hidden Power Ice kills big threats that like to switch in on physical Lucarios ie: Dragonite and Gliscor. Thunderpunch was an experiment that actually turned out to be surprisingly good. It lets me hit bulky waters who resist CC like Tentacruel and Jellicent and also lets me kill the random Gyrados from time to time. Go ahead and feel free to use Crunch in the ThunderPunch slot if you don't feel like playing on the wild side. Life Orb makes this Girl one powerful threat that can eat through teams with relative consistency. Lucarios sub-par speed is a let down, but don't let that fool you, Lucario is dangerous especially on this team.

GAMEPLAN

My average game starts off with Jirachi either Rocking, or Paralyzing something with Serene Grace combined with Body Slam/Thunder. After that i either wait for my opponent to kill Jirachi or switch in a threat when the time presents itself.

Starmie is usually the first poke out after Jirachi because most of the time my opponent has laid down rocks, which i would love to spin away.

Hopefully if the coast is clear i bring in Dragonite and set up a Dragon Dance and win. If i dont have a clear shot at this, my other offensive pokes combine to clear the coast for a sweep. If Dragonite dies , he has more than likely taken down some pokes with it so i usually just bring in my other heavy hitters to play cleanup.

Sometimes it is more difficult and i have to play a more grind-out style of game, but there isn't much grinding with an offensive team like this. Its either i win blazingly fast or i win fast, usually if that doesn't happen i have lost.

I dont recommend trying this team out without a good knowledge of the metagame. If you dont understand what most pokes are going to do, you wont do well with this team, since most of the team is frail you cannot afford to make the wrong decisions based on a lack of knowledge.

THREATS

Not really sure of a particular order but here we go.

Gengar

Most fast Attackers provide a problem, but with Extremespeed on multiple pokes im not too worried, but with Gengar's case, he is immune to that plan. I need to be careful to leave Pokes who can take hits from it with high hp to deal with it, ie: Jirachi, Dragonite.

Reuniclus

The only set that worries me is Trick Room, Since it allows Reuniclus to outspeed my entire squad while dealing huge amounts of unrecoverable damage. I usually have to make sure this guy doesn't get a free Trick room off without taking massive damage because Extremespeed does still allow me to outspeed and knock it out through Trick Room.

Skarm/Bliss

These two pokemon, and other combinations that are similar are very annoying to deal with. It takes some prediction ,stealth rocks help as well, to beat combos like this. Draognite and Lucario are your best bet in defeating defensive pairings like this.

Dancing Pokemon

Whether it be Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance, these Groups of Pokemon can be a big threat if not played around properly. Stealth Rocks are Huge in defeating most of these pokemon. Extremespeed also provides answer if you can deal a good amount of damage prior to them setting up.

Drought Teams

Drought teams are tough because they have overpowered fire moves that even the pokes i have to resist them take huge damage. Another reason is Chlorophyll, which makes those pokes faster than all mine. Priority one is getting Rocks up which hinders there switching ability. Another focus is killing Ninetales, if that is gone Rain Dance from Jirachi will pretty much end there advantage against me. Also Dragonite provides a dangerous threat for them, if i can get rid of their steels, it can wreck most of there other pokes especially a boosted fire punch if sun is still out.

Bulk Up Breloom

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb

This is canalninja's signature set. The bane of this teams existence. With the ability to fire off 100 percent accurate sleep and then set up Bulk Ups, with the combination of Poison Heal recovery an Drain Punch this things is and offensive Juggernaut. It Simply won't die. The only way i can beat this thing is if i still have Latios and or Dragonite who both resist both his STAB moves. But even then its tough. LOL

CONCLUSION

I am very proud of this team, mostly because it is my first original competitive team made solely by me. It has kept me in the top 5 on The Smogon PO Server for a while now, which completely surpassed my expectations. The most exciting part about this team is that I have proven that you don't need weather to succeed in this metagame or even the Pre-Excadrill/Thundurus banned metagame. I hope this team inspires more people to think outside the box and experiment with different team possibilities. Thankyou for your time, please leave suggestions or questions, through laddering experiences i have realized that there are much brighter battlers than myself and i would love to hear from you guys.

If you would like to see this team in action in the near future, come check out my youtube channel where i post my battles

: http://www.youtube.com/user/bcam0991

Once again, thankyou

Just a minor nitpick. A few of your pokemon have 255/255 which is a waste of EVs. Put 4 in HP, and you might be able to live some hits with an MLG 1 HP.

MLG.

I think that DD lum haxorus can be a pretty threatning pokemon if Jirachi's balloon is broken. Mainly setting up a DD on the body slam activating the lum and then proceeding to take out Jirachi + another pokemon. It would take dragonites extremespeed + lucarios extremespeed to take it out unless you pulled tricky switches, which wont always work. Anyways back to the point, you would lose two pokemon if haxorus nabbed a DD on rachi. One way to remedy this to replace expert belt latios with scarf latios or scarf landorus. Hope I helped!

I think that DD lum haxorus can be a pretty threatning pokemon if Jirachi's balloon is broken. Mainly setting up a DD on the body slam activating the lum and then proceeding to take out Jirachi + another pokemon. It would take dragonites extremespeed + lucarios extremespeed to take it out unless you pulled tricky switches, which wont always work. Anyways back to the point, you would lose two pokemon if haxorus nabbed a DD on rachi. One way to remedy this to replace expert belt latios with scarf latios or scarf landorus. Hope I helped!
i will try something like that if that problem continues, like i said this team can lose to dd unless you are aware of that threat.

The only problem I see with this team BCAM is that this team is Stall weak. I remember playing you using Mdragons Stall team and things didnt end well. On Latios you might want to give it Psyshock just to hit Bliss harder. Giving it C. SPecs and trick can cripple a DECENT stall team. You dont need to worry about scizor or TTar because you have Lucario to check them so I hope this helps :D.

And I agree with Blak, just drop that extra 4 EV's somewhere else...WHO KNOWS...it my help you out :D

The only problem I see with this team BCAM is that this team is Stall weak. I remember playing you using Mdragons Stall team and things didnt end well. On Latios you might want to give it Psyshock just to hit Bliss harder. Giving it C. SPecs and trick can cripple a DECENT stall team. You dont need to worry about scizor or TTar because you have Lucario to check them so I hope this helps :D.

And I agree with Blak, just drop that extra 4 EV's somewhere else...WHO KNOWS...it my help you out :c

i like the idea of choice for stall but choice is so bad against certain teams and plus i hate trick it takes up a slot on a pokemon with an almost perfect movepool. psychic is meant for conkeldurrs but i can see switching

Hi, bcam. Nice team.

My biggest issue is your lack of a Draco Meteor on Latios. SpecsMeteor is one of the best reasons to use Latios. It destroys almost every non-Steel/Blissey in the game, and pairs well with Dragonite; Draco Meteor can put some bulkier Steels in KO range of Dragonite's +1 Fire Punch. When opponent's see you aren't using D.Meteor, many will be able to call your Choice-item bluff right away, since every choiced Latios carries the move. If you're offset by the poor synergy with Expert Belt, consider changing your item to a Draco Plate, which boosts the power of your overall more useful STAB move.

Others have also mentioned using Psyshock for Blissey, which may not be a bad idea.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I must say that this is the most unique team I've faced as far as sets go. I remember the first time we played a day or two ago it took me by surprise and I lost but I won quite comfortably the second time around just then. Your team looks like it has the element of surprise going for it, which I dig especially for tournaments. I do think that Latios should have Dragon Pulse > Ice Beam despite the wtf factor although with the set that you run I can see where Dragon coverage would be redundant. It looks like it would destroy balance and hold its own against heavy offense (my team was an exception cause it had a mon nobody uses) but it seems to struggle horridly vs full stall. Your spinner is frail and has Life Orb which is fine and I can understand why you'd wanna use Hp Grass (your team doesn't exactly like Gastrodon at all) but this means that any basic stall team with Jellicent will destroy you if you aren't careful. How much does Lucario do to Jellicent with Thunderpunch? Because that's probably the best and amongst the only ways I can see you luring out and cracking it. Dragonite is a fantastic stall breaker and amongst the best pokemon in the metagame but rain stall in particular where Skarmory and even Ferrothorn don't fear Dragonite as much as they would in a classic setting looks like it would really dampen your parade (pun intended). I haven't played for ages so I'm struggling as to what pokemon could help you against Rain stall/stall in general (as well as your aforementioned Sun problems). I do thing Magnezone to remove their Steel type (and 99 % of the time, their Spiker) would be a decent fit over Landorus and give Latios/Dragonite even more space to wreak havoc. That would leave you a little heavy on the Fire/Ground/Fighting weaknesses though, so maybe Lucario could be replaced instead? I'd probably prefer to get rid of Luke for resistance purposes but I suggested Landorus because you seem pretty attached to Luke. I'm loathe to suggest too many changes because as I help fix one weakness, another is bound to arise and you've obviously been very successful with the team on the ladder. Best of luck :) let me know if you test Magnezone out and if you do, which slot you put him in!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Creative team - fucking props for reaching so high on the ladder!

I like suggesting Expert Belt + Grass Knot Starmie. With Expert Belt it can not only 2HKO Gastrodon, but also Jellicent, letting its spinning job much easier. You lose out on Rotom-W, but Hydro Pump would hit just as hard as HP Grass in Rain, and you do have Latios and Jirachi to switch-in, or Landorus to switch-in on Volt Switch :d

I dig your Latios set. I'd personally go with Surf / Grass Knot > Tbolt, so you're not hard-countered by TTar, who would just outright Pursuit-rape it. Surf has the added advantage of also dispatching Heatran, whereas Grass Knot still lets you put the hurt on most Water Types, but also Gastrodon and Quagsire, which Thunderbolt fails at. If you want to fit both, I suggest Draco Meteor | Surf | HP Fire | Grass Knot. Draco Meteor should still hurt a ton to Conkeldurr.

However, Scarf Latios can really patch up a lot of the weaknesses you are having. For one, it's great in taking down Sun Teams in conjunction with Dragonite. It outruns Chlorophyll Venusaur, so you don't need to resort to ExtremeKilling or changing weather. It outruns DDNite and QD Volcarona at +1 and can Draco Meteor DDNite and Trick Volcarona to QD / Bug Buzz, which would be set-up bait for the other sweepers. Trick would provide you one additional weapon to stall other than Lucario and Dragonite. You also outrun Gengar now, switching into Disable / Focus Blasts. I know that Scarfing a mon can really put a damper on your momentum if you are locked in the wrong move, but it's utility in checking so many mons is also undeniable. You may at least want to give it a try.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 Spe
~ Draco Meteor
~ Surf
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Trick

This is just a skeleton. You can tweak with the EVs / coverage moves as you see fit.

If you find Scarf Latios to patch up your Sun weakness, then you may want to make better use of Jirachi's movepool. Although paralysis may certainly help, Dual Screen may provide just as useful support. Reflect + Light Screen @ Light Clay > Rain Dance + Thunder to provide much more than paralysis support. U-turn would probably be more ideal than Body Slam to safely switch into your mons if you want to try that out.

If you go with Dual-Screens, you may want an additional Set-Up Sweeper that can boost its offense under the defensive buffs. You can possibly try Double-Boosting Terrakion over Landorus. Terrakion can much easily break through stall than Landorus, imo, and the higher Speed definitely helps. It synergizes nicely with Latios, who baits in Ttar, Blissey, and Heatran that Terrakion likes to double-switch into. Lucario does a good job in luring fighting counters (although Dark Pulse may come in handy to hit Latias and Slowbro, which are annoying for Terrakion) and softening them up for Terrakion to clean up.

Terrakion @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
Jolly Nature
4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ Swords Dance
~ Rock Polish

bread-and-butter Sweeper Terrakion set. Air Balloon provides more opportunities to set-up, and lets it beat Hippowdon (if it switches in). However, Life Orb is definitely an option if you are facing difficulties in breaking through Quagsires.

@Pocket

wow thankyou so much i love those ideas for latios. i might just try them all lol.

ill try out that terrakion too it looks really fun

Nelson

Young, Wild & Free
I also agree with the scarftios suggestion as your team definitively seemed to be really weak to dd nite , chlorophyle users, volca and trick really annoys any stall teams.

Or you could try a landorus scarf and try at the same occasion a CM latios with recover/surf/dragon pulse which could be a good answer to stall rain teams, as volcarona/dnite and co would be already managed by land and ferrothorn is't really a problem for the team.

ps : sorry for my english. :k

@Nelson-x to be honset i think every time loses to ddnite if not played around properly. i have lost to it but not as often as you might think considering its one of the more popular sets, choice landorus seems like the quickest way to fix that problem, since it outspeeds and HP ices , i hate choice because it allows for setup fodder on their next poke, but i am willing to try it out

I like this team!
Imo though you need:
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor over Ice Beam on Latios
Smack Down over Stone Edge on Landorus
And Swords Dance Lucario

Lucario@Life Orb
Jolly
EVS: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Moves
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
-Extreme Speed

Just kinda nit picking :]
Gratz on #3!

@kobra

yeah im still not sure on the best lucario set, i have had success with the current one, but i do see how your set could be beneficial to my team

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I really like this team, it reminds me of Husk's Astral Projection team sort of.

I can't say I really like lucario on this team, but it if it works its fine, just seems like there is a better mixed late game sweeper option out there. I think CB scizor could be a good pokemon to try instead, it can revenge kill dragonite.

On latios change psychic to dragon pulse, its sheerly better, and on all your pokemon the ev spreads should be changed to utilize the extra 4 evs.

This is a pretty cool team bro, I wish I was good enough to get that high on the ladder with such a cool team ;_;.

Anyway, I must ask, why is Lucario using HP ice and not ice punch? As far as I am aware it kills the same pokemon and allows you to use an adamant nature.

You said that Gengar, Reuniclus, Dragon Dancers, Quiver Dancers, SkarmBliss, Drought Teams and Bulk Up Breloom are massive headaches for your team, right? Well, Breloom can be dealt with by Latios and Dragonite, so it's not an issue; Sun teams can also be hindered by Dragonite, so they're not so threatening as well.

However, the other threats you've mentioned are indeed dangerous for this team. In order to fix that, I suggest a Specially Defensive Jirachi over your current set, since it easily deals with both Reuniclus and Gengar. You'd still be weak to Dragon/Quiver Dancers, so slapping a Choice Scarf on Landorus might be a good idea, so Landorus can outspeed them even after they've boosted and KO with Stone Edge.

And lastly, to fix your Skarm/Bliss weakness, consider using a Swords Dance Lucario over your current set. After setting up, Lucario does a 87% minimum to the standard Skarmory with Close Combat, and Blissey also dies to it.

Mentioned sets are:

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Careful Nature | 252 HP / 220 Sp.Def / 36 Spe
Wish / Iron Head / Body Slam or Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock or Protect

Lucario @ Lfe Orb | Inner Focus
Adamant or Jolly Nature | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance / Close Combat / Extremespeed / Ice Punch or Crunch or Bullet Punch

Landorus @ Choice Scarf | Sand Force
Jolly or Naive Nature | 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp.Atk
Earthquake / U-turn / Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice or Hammer Arm

Good luck!

@scarfwynaut hp ice kills gliscors almost everytime, ice punch would not guarantee a kill, thats the main reason

@Blue Star I've been messing around with similar sets , i haven't got enough battles in but i think you're suggestions could be good

Bcam Ive been using Bullet punch on Big Luke and it does wonders for scarf terra and since its stab and all its base power is boosted to 60 instead of 40. Try it out and sice you have hp ice you can swap it out with Bullet punch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)