Volbeat QC 3/3

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/volbeat

[Overview]
<p>The immediate thing that should strike you about Volbeat is its cuteness. Second, the fact it has stats that could make anyone throw Volbeat out and look for a Pokemon with better stats, like nearly anything in the tier. However, Volbeat does get used, because it has a niche. It has the ability to Baton Pass a Tail Glow, but with +1 priority.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Tail Glow
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Thunder Wave / Encore
item: Focus Sash
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Come in, boost, come out. If you aren't leading with Volbeat, that's what you should be doing. If you are leading, then the problem of Stealth Rock opening Volbeat up to an OHKO. The other two moves are pretty much filler, because unless your opponent is not the smartest, you shouldn't have a free turn with Volbeat on the field. Volbeat doesn't need a nature technically, so the best move would to boost the Speed stat in case you do use the other two moves, Substitute or either Thunder Wave or Encore, and each has their merits. Obviously, passing +3 SpA and a Substitute to a Magmorter is absolutely deadly. Encore is to lock something into a stat boosting move or Stealth Rock, or anything else, while Thunder Wave does what it does, paralyzing whatever it hits. The EVs maximize Speed and HP, which is all you'll ever need, honestly. Volbeat, with its amazingly horrid defenses, needs a Focus Sash to do its job right, but beware of multi-hit moves. Once you finish setting up, use Baton Pass and give your boosts to something like Magmortor, who will put those boosts to good use.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Volbeat can try its tiny hand at attacking, using a EV spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe, using Bug Buzz and Shadow Ball, but otherwise, its got nothing.</p>

[Other Options]
</p>Volbeat gets Confuse Ray, like anything else, but it actually has some use on Volbeat, despite gimmicky. It can potentialy nab you another boost, but shouldn't depend on it. Should Volbeat ever need an extra turn, Protect is usable, but there shouldn't be a need for it, except for stalling. Volbeat Sunny Day, which can be used in conjuction with stuff like Victreebel. It gets Light Screen as well, but doesn't have Reflect, so it's usable, but doesnt have access to Dual Screens.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Stealth Rock and any hazards breaks Focus Sash, leaving Volbeat open to be OHKOed. Using Volbeat as a lead diminishes this threat, but if not, Volbeat will have trouble. Most moves hit Volbeat harshly, so most moves will 2HKO at least, so beware priority moves. Moves like DoubleHit or Rock Blast will remove Volbeat from commision. Roar and Whirlwind will also completely ruin Volbeat's strategy.</p>

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
weather deserves own set imo
with tonnes of weather abusers
and priority weather meaning it can often come in twice
plus encore and uturn to give sweepers a free switch in

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Encore > Thunder Wave; I'd rather have something that lets me get off a BP 100% of the time than a status move. Obviously mention phazing in general as a counter. I'm not really sure that weather moves deserve their own set but since I haven't really ever used Volbeat or other weather I think I'd rather let other QC members deliberate on that.

I don't think weather would work so well with the prevalence of Hail in NU. Maybe when the January tier changes take place.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I also think Murkrow is better at Prankster weather in general because of Roost, but its definitely fine in other options. Mention Roar/Whirlwind in counters/checks.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
bzz bzz
also dont just say that you have no time for it because encore actually helps you set up and get a pass off

qc approved (2/3)

I actually think a weather support set is viable, but I guess it isn't really being supported so leave it in the OO for now.

QC APPROVED (3/3)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wait, are we actually using 252 HP / 252 Spe Timid for Volbeat? It's already got Prankster for priority passing, so Speed investment is hardly necessary except for the rare Prankster Murkrow. What Volbeat really needs is defensive investment (preferably physically defensive investment + Bold + Leftovers). Please, PLEASE, list Prankster as the primary ability, because there's absolutely no reason to run Swarm on this thing. It's a huge no-no.

Yes, I forgot to mention Defense investment (Volbeat can actually survive some things with investment) maybe just enough Speed to outrun uninvested Murkrow or something

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
physically defensive investment + Bold + Leftovers
I'll look into changing the EVs/Nature, but is Leftovers really better than Focus Sash? Focus Sash allows you to survive a hit no matter what, and Volbeat shouldnt really be coming back in after it BPs out, except for as death fodder, what with hail and SR everywhere.

Volbeat can come in and paralyze something with Thunder Wave, or Encore a set up move. It isn't useless after it Baton Passes once. Investing in bulk would make much more sense. Whimsicott, another Pokemon with Prankster, doesn't invest in Speed. Make the bulky spread with Leftovers the main one and put the speedy one with Focus Sash in the AC. Besides, you said yourself that hail and SR is everywhere, so why run Focus Sash?

Orcinus Duo

Banned deucer.
placeholdering because
well hey i did this for the last two checks i might as well do it again

gdi spend too much time doing useless stuff

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Before anyone checks this, you should expand both the Overview, the AC, and the C&C sections, because they are really short. Especially the Overview, there's tons of things to say about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)