The Transition to Pokemon Showdown

As many of you know, Pokemon Online isn't the only Gen V Pokemon simulator anymore. Zarel (aka aesoft) has been hard at work for about a year now building us a brand new simulator that has several advantages over PO. The main one is that it's web-based, meaning you will never have to download a client update. Ever. Also, since it's web-based, you can use it on pretty much ANY web-capable device, INCLUDING Android- and iOS-based smart phones and tablets.

Pokemon Showdown is nearly completed, and it pleases me to officially announce that it is now one of the official simulators for Smogon University, meaning usage stats generated through PS battles will be used for tiering in addition to PO-based usage stats. Until development is complete, however, we will be continuing to host a Pokemon Online server as well (it's just been upgraded to the new version, in fact). Until PS is finished, you can continue to play on PO, but we encourage all of you to try out Pokemon Showdown, play a few battles, register your username, and all that jazz.

If you have any questions about this transition, feel free to post below.

I have a question. Why are we transitioning to a web-based simulator, when PO is likely to have BW2 changes up soon enough, and PO is a great simulator already, as well as being completely finished. I fail to see the logic of Smogon moving to PS.

But Why?

Yes.. why are we moving to Pokemon Showdown?
Pokemon Online is a perfectly good Simulator, as Mushroomist said.

Moving just annoys everyone by having to create new Names.

Even though it being Web-Based is pretty cool considering it can be played for IPhones, etc
What if your Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox etc is down or moving slower than any other Internet users such as PO wouldn't it just be easier to keep Both or just leave it where it is?

EDIT #1 : Actually Antar I did Play PS for a while to test it out before i posted and it was absolutly nothing compared to PO even if its changed now PO is still superior in my mind.

I have a question. Why are we transitioning to a web-based simulator, when PO is likely to have BW2 changes up soon enough, and PO is a great simulator already, as well as being completely finished. I fail to see the logic of Smogon moving to PS.
PO already has BW2 changes up. That's what this morning's upgrade was about.

PS had them several days before PO.

That is not a valid reason.

wouldn't it just be easier to keep Both or just leave it where it is?
We've discussed the possibility of keeping both, and the verdict has been that staffing both servers is too much of a burden and "splits the playerbase."

As for why not stay with PO, there are several components to the answer.

First off, most Smogonites who've played on PS prefer it, to the point that Smogon PO activity has hit record lows this month.

Secondly, moving to a web-based program means rolling out changes is MUCH easier, since we don't have to push out new clients.

Third off, PS was developed with Smogon in mind, as our simulator. PO has their own community. coyotte508 and Lamperi have been extremely helpful in incorporating features and fixing bugs that have been issues for us, but their first priority is their own server, not ours.

This leads me to my final, and most important point: me. As anyone who's ever logged onto Smogon PO knows, we have pretty frequent problems with spammers, lag and server crashes. These are all issues that are best fixed by a developer. I am decidedly NOT a developer. I have a decent amount of programming experience, but it's scientific computing, which doesn't place an emphasis on things like stability, security or networking. And yet, somehow, I'm the one responsible for maintaining this server. I didn't ask for this responsibility--I got this "job" by asking Rising_Dusk when the August 2011 usage stats would be up--and I'd gladly abdicate it if someone more qualified were to come along. But no one ever has. Zarel/aesoft and bmelts are the two main developers of Pokemon Showdown. They have agreed to have their server be our server, which means THEY will be responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of Smogon PS (and yes, in the future, there will probably be other PS servers). So, bottom line: by moving to PS, we're moving to a system that will actually be able to be maintained by the people who wrote it.

I don't expect this to please everyone, but I can basically guarantee you'll like Pokemon Showdown if you give it a fair shot. More features are being added every day, so if there's a feature you'd like Showdown to have, propose it. If you find a bug, report it. This is a good thing. I promise you.

pasy_g

Banned deucer.
Wait, does PS only carry Gen 5 `? Why should it be better than PO then? Or did i just misunderstood something?

Antar, that was only one reason. I didn't actually know that PO had BW2 changes up, because I have been out all day. But also, as this user above said, PS only has BW, while PO has nearly all regions, and PO is a completely finished program. Also, BW2 changes are thing we won't fully understand till the English version is out, so it doesn't matter as much. As for your problem of not having high enough programming skills, why didn't you ask a user such as Zarel/aesoft or bmelts to help you, as this would have made your 'job' much easier. The way I can see this going is that Smogon will only have PS as their simulator, and if that's the case, I may as well just quit Smogon, because I refuse to use PS. And yes, I have tried PS, and within two minutes I immediately disliked it, you can ask Rory. That is all.

EDIT: PO does have RBY in their new server, so they have every region, on a completed program.

Wait, does PS only carry Gen 5 `? Why should it be better than PO then? Or did i just misunderstood something?
PS will be adding Gen IV support fairly soon, and support for earlier generations is planned.

Neither previous-gen or doubles support (which is also planned) is a compelling enough reason for us to stay on PO, as there are EXTREMELY few of those kinds of battles on our server each month (and most previous-gen tournaments happen on other servers, so there's less chance of users having their teams "scouted").

why didn't you ask a user such as Zarel/aesoft or bmelts to help you, as this would have made your 'job' much easier.
What would be their motivation to debug a piece of code that they didn't write?

The way I can see this going is that Smogon will only have PS as their simulator, and if that's the case, I may as well just quit Smogon, because I refuse to use PS.
We'll be sad to lose you.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Third off, PS was developed with Smogon in mind, as our simulator. PO has their own community. coyotte508 and Lamperi have been extremely helpful in incorporating features and fixing bugs that have been issues for us, but their first priority is their own server, not ours.

This leads me to my final, and most important point: me. As anyone who's ever logged onto Smogon PO knows, we have pretty frequent problems with spammers, lag and server crashes. These are all issues that are best fixed by a developer. I am decidedly NOT a developer. I have a decent amount of programming experience, but it's scientific computing, which doesn't place an emphasis on things like stability, security or networking. And yet, somehow, I'm the one responsible for maintaining this server. I didn't ask for this responsibility--I got this "job" by asking Rising_Dusk when the August 2011 usage stats would be up--and I'd gladly abdicate it if someone more qualified were to come along. But no one ever has. Zarel/aesoft and bmelts are the two main developers of Pokemon Showdown. They have agreed to have their server be our server, which means THEY will be responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of Smogon PS (and yes, in the future, there will probably be other PS servers). So, bottom line: by moving to PS, we're moving to a system that will actually be able to be maintained by the people who wrote it.
The bolded lines are the main reason for the move to Pokemon Showdown! Apart from the numerous reasons already highlighted by Antar, these two are the very crux of the move to PS! And no one can possibly ignore the fact that PS is practically more accurate in simulating ame mechanics, has a ton more goodies than PO can offer etc etc. This is practically stale news anyway, since half of the Smgon crowd has already moved over to Pokemon Showdown, seeing as how the PS server has more people than the PO SU server at all times. Also PS has planned 4th gen support (its done basically 9.9), but bug testing is going on. Expect it to be out really soon. Older gens like 3rd gen will be added soon (enough to meet Tour deadlines comfortably). And its not like anyone ever plays any other generation ladder apart from BW and DPP OU anyway.

Edt: ninjad by antar :<

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm going to be a rebel posting here and say I applaud the decision to move to PS! and I hope it makes everyone's lives easier (players, staff, ANTAR)

Asek

Banned deucer.
Just a quick question, Is there any way for me to get rid of moving sprites and the like on Pokemon Showdown? My internet is really slow at the best of times and the animations of PS make my battles drag out really long.

I'm reasonably new to the smogon community but have been using PO for about six months now, and I love the changes PS is bringing. In my opinion only the lack of multiple generations (which doesn't effect me but may effect a few people) and the teambuilder, which I am not so keen on, remain inferior to PO.Other than that, loving the new sim.

well it is going to be sad saying goodbye to the PO icon in the corner of my screen which time and time again has prevented me from completing my homework :P. I used PS for a little bit and found it rather complicated and not to my liking unlike the simplicity of the PO software. However i will have to get used to it as smogon means more to me than PO. I think the above posters bring some interesting thoughts to the table, some of us don't have great internet and PS is far more consuming than PO. I would also love to see some progress on the team builder but i am sure the wheels are in motion. Are we still keeping the PO smogon server because many people may prefer it over PS? Anyway i am sad to see the change but i will have to get used to it.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
everyone remember PS! is not finished. i personally and others have talked to aeo about a toggle switch for animated sprites and stuff, and it will be added. he just has other features to work on as well. as for past gen support, its being worked on and the dev gen4 is already being tested.

so basically calm your tits ps is better than po in everything besides asthetics (debatable), and once its finished it will have most the issues you guys are bringing up fixed.

I would also love to see some progress on the team builder but i am sure the wheels are in motion. Are we still keeping the PO smogon server because many people may prefer it over PS? Anyway i am sad to see the change but i will have to get used to it.
what progress would you like on the teambuilder? post it here. aeo literally takes everyones suggestions in hand and does them as quickly as possible.

edit: lol antar i gues i mixed them up.

po server will be kept until ps can do literally everything po can, but antar will be removing each ladder from po as it is finalized on ps.
prem, you're describing Option 2. We decided on Option 3.

For the rest of you, this is NOT correct. As soon as a few more PS bugs are resolved and a few more features implemented, we will migrate. This will be BEFORE previous-gen support and Doubles are implemented.

As I said in an earlier post, the demand for these metas is not significant enough to continue to run a server.

PO may have had spammers making it lag, but I lag out and d/c everytime I use PS lmao. I'm not the only one whos had this problem either. I guess if Smogon goes to this, all I can do is hope that somehow this won't be a problem, otherwise I guess I'm forced to wander the uncompetetive streets of pokemon online.

PO may have had spammers making it lag, but I lag out and d/c everytime I use PS lmao. I'm not the only one whos had this problem either. I guess if Smogon goes to this, all I can do is hope that somehow this won't be a problem, otherwise I guess I'm forced to wander the uncompetetive streets of pokemon online.
the best I can suggest for you is to tell you to post a bug report.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
no, PS is just really laggy in general a lot of the time, but when it gets more support and traffic hopefully zarel can be arsed to improve his server / troubleshoot the issue.

no, PS is just really laggy in general a lot of the time, but when it gets more support and traffic hopefully zarel can be arsed to improve his server / troubleshoot the issue.
When's the last time you used it? Because it just moved to a new server, like, two days ago.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
right now – although the last time i noticed intense lag was a few days ago. that explains a lot, lol, thanks

Bryce

Lun
PS has some unappealing things .The Teambuilder is horrible and complicated in my opinion and they dont have a good way of sorting players.You have to scroll through the entire players list and look carefully to find someone.The animations make it really slow and i often get disconnected.As far as I see animations are the only advantages over PO.I know that it was made with smogon in mind but what's wrong with keeping them both?

PS also doesnt have DW OU.Will that be programmed in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)