1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Transition to Pokemon Showdown

Discussion in 'Pokemon Online' started by Antar, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Antar

Antar That's Dr. Antar to you
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

My point about VGC was that since the animations are already programmed in, it should be feasible to have them take the appropriate amounts of time. At least, it should be easier than trying to program it in from scratch as we'd have to do on PO.

Ladder has absolutely no bearing on stats.

All that matters is that the battles happen and the teams are recorded (repeated matchups that result in immediate draws / forfeits will be thrown out along with all other battles that last fewer than six turns, as has been our practice since I took over running the stats).

Probably won't bother with 1337 stats (or the equivalent) until we get the ladder sorted out, however.

Also keep in mind that July's stats really have very little bearing on the tiers that get generated October 1 (1 part in 24). And we fully expect many of these issues to get sorted out by August 1.
  2. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx

Tried PS and honestly, I prefer PO. Better interface and there are more tiers. PO just feels a lot more user friendly. However I do like how it shows wins and loses on the ladder.
  3. prem

prem failed abortion
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

the tiers thing is irrevelant because we will be adding them all in the future. cant really argue with your other points cause they are opinion based though :(
  4. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Which tiers in particular do you miss?
  5. Chidori

Chidori

Really? That's cool! And also, I'm not trying to be a pain or anything but on the list, can you add 'more organized list showing users' because I really want it. I wanted to chat with someone about their NU Team to help them out since they wanted help but it took me a while to find them on the list and by that time they had to leave.

On a different note, is the BETA gonna end on the end of summer break?
  6. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

for now, you can use ctrl + f to search for users, just like if you were searching a long word document
  7. prem

prem failed abortion
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

the beta should hopefully be done by the end of summer but honestly theres no set date
  8. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

closing the PM box (which WONT erase the convo you've just had) and /clear the main chat should make Ctrl + F much more tolerable.
  9. XenoIncognito

XenoIncognito

Honestly, PS is a lot better to me. Being able to see your whole team on overview is a big plus. In battle, being able to reconnect, visual indicators of entry hazards and the simulator guessing your opponent's abilities as well as remembering their held items is great. Also, PO is okay but the fact that it needs so many client updates is annoying.
  10. Metal Bagon

Metal Bagon

This is all the positives I feel about PS.

One of the only negatives is that the ladder absolutely stupid imo. There are people with losing records on the top 100 and how you calculate the rankings is beyond me. Also, you can only see the top 100, not the entire list.

The only thing PO has on PS! is their laddering system (and a few insignificant things), and if we were to adapt their laddering system it'd be much easier to understand.
  11. Vein

Vein

This is a great move, moving forward. The inability of PO to move to iOS and Android frustrates me, as I travel too much carrying just a tablet and an iPhone. PS being a web-based makes me connect to competitive battling more frequent.

Again, moving forward, experts sees consumers leaning toward tablets over netbooks in next years, so PO might not be that viable then.

Of course, the to-do list is still very long. Let's be patient. Good luck Antar and others.
  12. Antar

is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Already on the list. :)
  13. barry4ever

barry4ever
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

So, I'm a very very very big supporter of PS and would use PS over PO anyday but the lag which is present at practically all times is kinda annoying. So, it think it would be awesome if we could just alleviate that lag.
  14. Antar

Official Data Miner

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468861
  15. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Lead

The correct ladder system for PS! to implement would definitely be Shoddy's, not PO's. It seems, with the way it works, that zarel tried to do this and messed up the code or something idk? But to people bitching about the ladder - it will be fixed and it will be like Shoddy's which was an amazing ladder.
  16. Chidori

Chidori

Right! I completely forgot about that option.
  17. prem

prem failed abortion

the fixing the ladder system is probably like 2nd on the to-do list. dont worry we know its horrible and want it fixed lol
  18. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

What is the difference between shoody's and PO's ladder mechanics?
  19. Antar

Official Data Miner

20. DittoCrow

DittoCrow
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner
    Mentor

What's wrong with the PO ladder mechanics? Just the point gain/loss is ridiculous; for example, if you have like 100 points above the majority of the ladder it's something ridiculous like +5 -28. Also the more battles you lose, the less points you gain in the following battles in the first few battles. Is this right or is there something more?
  21. Antar

Official Data Miner

If Pokemon were truly a game of skill and had no element of chance, the rating systems would do what they were designed to do: accurately measure the probability that Player A will defeat Player B. But throw in "bs hax," and all the underlying theory goes to hell.

Also: Issues with Elo.

Specifically, when you're at the top of the ladder, it's in your best interest to battle as little as possible in order to preserve your rating. This is why people were asking for draws all the time back a few months ago.
  22. LPFan

LPFan

This sounds great, hopefully I can focus better here than on PO...I'll give it a try. What rating do you start off with?
  23. Deaga

Deaga

Then why such a hurry to migrate already? At least wait until the simulator is actually finished.
  24. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Lead

Migrating this early was not in the plan, but if they hadn't started supporting PS! this month, then usage statistics would be terribly botched as like 2/3 of smogon is already using PS due to being a vastly superior program
  25. prem

prem failed abortion

we havent migrated. we are still using po and plan to until our to-do list is finished. we are just announcing that ps is an official smogon sim and we will be migrating there in the future

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)