Dreaming of Meteor Showers

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi, everyone! It's been a while since my last rate my team, which was for the dark horse project back in February. Now that the project has been revived again, I decided to participate in it. Now that I've made the Dark Horse Hall of fame, I want to share my team with everyone for advice on how to improve it and to let those who wish to use it have access to it. For reference, I peaked at #8 on the PS ladder under the alt Miss K. I'll preface the rate my team by saying that kingdra was my choice for the Dark Horse Project, so its slot on this team is non-negotiable.

Team Building Process

Kingdra is my dark horse pokemon, so I naturally started here.

I decided on Jirachi so I could address any dragon weaknesses I might have immediately. It's also just a great pokemon

Rotom-W helps in allowing Kingdra to fulfill its role, and is also an asset against stall teams.

I only recently learned that Terrakion received Stealth Rock and Taunt in BW2 so I had to try it out. Close combat hurts a lot, too.

Genesect's function is simliar to Rotom's, in that it helps Kingdra do its job. It is also very frequently my win condition late game.

At this point, I had a gaping sun weakness, so I used Tyranitar to take care of that

My terrakion weakness was too significant to overlook, so I've replaced Tyranitar with Latias

Team at a Glance

In Depth

Kingdra

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

Kingdra is the first (and by far most important) member of my team. I chose the specs set because it allows me to hit anything bar pink blobs and Ferrothorn incredibly hard. It sets itself apart as a specs user from Latios by having access to a stabbed hydro pump, which makes Jirachi an unsafe switch-in. Another thing that sets it apart from Latios is that, with Swift Swim, Rain offense teams are easily decimated after Ferrothorn has gone down. Even rain stall teams are going to be hard pressed to find time to lay hazards while taking repeated Hydro Pumps and Draco Meteors to the face. Not being pursuit bait is another amazing thing about using Kingdra. Lastly, my absolute favorite part about this set is Sleep Talk. I know it may seem strange at first glance to use Sleep Talk on a Specs set, but this particular set is the sole reason I was able to climb the ladder. Technician Breloom is a terrible menace and can easily sweep teams that don't have a check for it. In order to deal with Breloom as easily as possible, I figured using sleep talk on Kingdra would be perfect. Oh how right I was. If I switch Kingdra in on the spore, draco meteor will always 1hko, dragon pulse will nail the ko after sand damage or if Breloom took stealth rock damage, and hydro pump will 2hko, while Breloom cannot 1hko Kingdra. One of the worst things about playing Breloom is having to sacrifice a pokemon to take the sleep. Fortunately, Kingdra has completely solved that issue for me.

Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Fire Punch
- Body Slam

I have a hard time not putting Jirachi on my teams. This pokemon is just so amazingly good. Even though it uses a completely defensive spread, it still has respectable offensive presence. Being able to paralyze something and whittle its hp down with Iron Head is pretty awesome. Its access to wish is just icing on the cake. It synergizes amazingly with Rotom and Kingdra as well. Jirachi can safely pass a wish to Rotom whenever its threatened with an earthquake and to Kingdra whenever I'm at risk of being hit by a rain-boosted hydro pump. I've considered putting Stealth Rock on Jirachi, but I just find protect to be so essential in keeping Jirachi alive, as well as for scouting choiced moves. I've also considered putting the speed EVs into attack. It isn't significant, but the extra attack EVs might help flinch hax things like reuniclus more quickly. I say that because I rarely find myself in a situation where the 40 Speed EVs have saved me or even been of use at all.

Rotom-W

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

I always dismissed chesto-rest Rotom as a joke and a gimmick, but after having finally tried it out myself, I've had a change of heart about it. Its ability to bluff a choice set lands so many opportunities for a free KO. I frequently lead it against Genesect, who almost always u-turns out. A lot of times they end up overpredicting and getting one of their physical attackers W-o-Wed or their Landorus/Gliscor eating a Hydro Pump. It's also a pain for defensively oriented rain teams who desperately have to get rid of it, only to find Rotom back at full health with no status. I've mostly had positive results with it. Not being able to outspeed non-scarfed Terrakion has frequently been a nuisance, however. I'm not sure if changing rotom's set would adequately address that weakness enough to be worth it, though.

Terakkion

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

This new Terrakion set that I've recently been exposed to is pretty neat. I like the fact that I don't have to be stuck on close combat in order to beat Skarmory with a banded set. I like the fact that Terrakion allows me to set up hazards, as well as gives me a pokemon who can clean up late game after Kingdra and Tyranitar have punched holes in the opposing team. This set is especially useful against Deoxys-D hyper offense teams who need to stack hazards quickly to be effective. I've considered replacing Life Orb with Air Balloon, since I find that things that I 2hko now I would still be able to 2hko and things that I can't 2hko now (like physically defensive jellicent) wouldn't cause me to lose health after every attack. The biggest selling point to me for air balloon is to prevent late game scarf Landorus sweeps after Rotom has been KOed. I've also considered using Scizor in this slot in order to have a better check to opposing Terrakion, but doing that would make me much more susceptible to Volcarona, which is why I decided against it.

Genesect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 8 Atk / 250 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Until I made this team, I utterly lamented Genesect's existence in OU. It's fast. It's utterly powerful. It's coverage is amazing. Now that I've made a team I really like using it, I couldn't be happier. It allows me to revenge kill many important threats, particularly dragon dancers outside of Salamence. Keeping it alive until the end also frequently allows me to pick off weakened pokemon teams who no longer have resistances to one of Genesect's moves. I used Bug Buzz over thunderbolt mostly for having a strong, special stab, as well as a way to get more safe damage. After laddering up, though, I think using thunderbolt might be the better option, since I've felt like I've shot myself in the foot several times for using Bug Buzz over it. What I like most about Genesect is that it scares away Ferrothorn, giving me a free switch to Kingdra. Even if Ferrothorn switches back in on the draco meteor, it still takes ~43% damage + Stealth Rock damage. Genesect may not be broken, but there's really very little reason not to use it.

Latias

Latias
(F) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

Latias, the newest addition to my team, has made it much more solid than it was before. Tyranitar's biggest selling point was that it made dealing with other weathers incredibly easy, which was great. The problem was that it left my team nearly helpess to opposing terrakion. Now that I've added Latias to the team, Terrakion is rarely an issue. Latias also gives me more cushion against special attackers, so that jirachi isn't overloaded, especially against strong electric type attacks.

Former Team Members
Tyranitar

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Band Tyranitar. This thing is ludicrously powerful. There is so little in this metagame that can safely switch in on it. It destroys ninetales miserably with the help of Rotom and Genesect, making sun almost a complete non-issue. Even physically defensive Politoed takes ~53% from a banded Crunch. While this set isn't particularly bulky, Tyranitar's natural bulk allows it to survive most non-boosted non-fighting type attacks. I've considered using a scarf variant to more easily trap Gengar and Starmie, but the rest of my team deals with them well enough that I don't feel like it's a necessary change.

Significant Issues

Scarf/Band Terrakion- These pokemon are probably the biggest problems that my team faces. Band variants almost effortlessly sweep through my team if I don't win the speed tie with my own terrakion. If I sacrifice something and allow jirachi to come in at full health, it will only take about 94% from a banded close combat, allowing me a chance to paralyze it and finish it off. Neither of those are very reliable solutions and is something I really need to fix. Scarf variants are really annoying, but not quite as bad. Jirachi takes about 52% which allows me to wish as it switches out, so I can somewhat consistently keep myself in enough health to force it out or KO it.

That's actually the only really big problem I can think of. I'll probably post a threat list later. After getting rid of Tyranitar for Latias, I no longer have any terrakion issues.

Change List

-Removed Tyranitar for Sub CM Latias

-Replaced Protect on Jirachi for Fire punch
-Replaced Bug Buzz on Genesect for Thunderbolt

Closing Notes

Thanks for reading my RMT! I've had a lot of success with this team, and would love to make it even more successful. Feel free to use this team, as I'm done laddering on it in its current version after completing the Dark Horse Challenge. It would be really cool to see other people peak even higher than me with this team xD. Anyway, please rate, comment, and ask questions. I've attached an importable below

Importable
Code:
[SIZE=5]
[SIZE=2]Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 8 Atk / 250 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=5][SIZE=4][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]Latias[/SIZE] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=5][SIZE=4][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=4][SIZE=2](F) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
 - Substitute
 - Calm Mind
 - Dragon Pulse
 - Recover[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Lady Alex you have a solid team here, Terrakion can cause you problems because you have no secure exchange against him.

I suggest you use a Amoonguss defensive, because besides has great HP and Def besides Regenerator is a secure exchange against Terrakion, test it in place of Rotom-W.

Changing Rotom-W you end up losing their unique exchange against Ground Moves, I suggest you replace the Terrakion for an Acrobat Gliscor, the idea of the team seems to be abusing both Rain and Sandstorm, Kingdra + Gliscor is a good core because they can hit hard getting clean easily the opponent team.

Ending suggest you switch to Protect for Steath Rock on Jirachi.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ice

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

I hope I helped, GL

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Hi Miles. Thanks for the rate. I'm not sure that I really like the idea of getting rid of rotom yet, so I'm going to just test gliscor first and see if that eliminates my terrakion problems (I think it very well might). I'll get rid of protect on Jirachi for stealth rock while I'm testing that change.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I would add Flash Cannon over Flamethrower on Genesect to hit Terrakion, since banded Versions kind of ruin you. I would put SR on Jirachi over Wish, since its generally bulkier and more suited for the job, and run SubSalac Terrakion so you have that speed and insurance against faster threats like Torn-T (assuming sub). The SD allows you to net a lot of KOs, including #2 most used for September Ferrothorn, who is quite a bitch to the team. I can see banded Terrakion punishing it though, but you also gain the upperhand against threats like Skarm and Chansey among other things. Or you can use SubSalac with taunt over SD, although I won't recommend that gimmick. I'm not going to give a serious rate because I would probably change a few more things, like Kingdra, but most of that's due to personal experience so I wish you your best and GL!

Shurt

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
I'm not sure that that would be a suitable check to it. If I don't have rocks up and the enemy Terrakion hasn't taken any damage, a +1 flash cannon in the sand won't be able to 1hko. Some variant of sub SD Terrakion does seem like it could benefit my team, so I'll be testing that as well after I finish testing Gliscor, who I'm hoping will lessen my Terrakion weakness. Thanks for rating.

If Flash Cannon isn't to your tastes, what about Iron Head? You should get an attack boost off of a Terrakion in sand, which turns 4atk Iron Head into a OHKO provided you have a neutral nature. Might not be worth losing some defense, but perhaps worth trying.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Ok, I think I'll try that instead. It would also make blissey and chansey more afraid to switch in.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
I've been testing Sub SD sandveil gliscor, and have had relative success. It's helped my terrakion weakness quite a lot. I think I'm going to try using Amoongus over rotom-w now, as someone suggested earlier.

The team looks Great
like others have been saying terrakion does give you alot of problems,to make the Terrakion a lot easier i would Run a Scizor or A Breloom over the Kingdra. Reason Why im saying this is because Kingdra doesnt Really do anything on your team,its a dragon (which is outclassed by Lati@s)and it has SS for Rain which Rotom-W does very well of because of the Hydro pump getting boosted and Volt switch Getting Everything tat isnt Gastrodon.If you going to go with Scizor go with the CB Set because you have Voltturn Core already.

Scizor
Choice Band
Adamant
248Hp/252 Atk/8 Spd
Attacks:
U-turn
Bullet punch
Pursuit
Superpower

If you go with Breloom which is proboblythe better option go with the Life orb set or the CB set (both using Techniloom)because with the LO set you can Spore and Swords dance which gives you and OHKO to Terrakion.with CB you have the option of taking down Tornadus-T and other stuff because of low sweep.
Sets:

Breloom
Adamant
Life orb
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Speed
Moves:
Spore
Swords dance
Bullet Seed
Mach punch

Breloom
Jolly
Choice Band
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Speed
Moves:
Low sweep
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Stone Edge

the second thing i think would make this team a little better just changing the Evs on genesect to 4 Atk and 252 Sp atk because you only have U-turn as a physical attacking move.

good team i wouldnt have done it better

have a good one
Rob :P

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Like others have said, you have a crippling weakness to Terrakion. I suggest you replace Tyranitar with Latias. Latias can still help you deal with sun but also provide you with a crucial fighting resist. The only common pokemon on sun teams that can really deal with it are Genesect and other dragon pokemon on sun teams.

Additionally, I suggest you replace Protect on Jirachi with Drain Punch of Fire punch to better handle steel types in general and beat magnezone 1v1 100% of the time. Protect forces you to play passive with Jirachi and your team structure contradicts that playstyle.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Thanks for the rates sazandoringlps and Chimpakt. I tried using latias over tyranitar like Chimpakt suggested, and it has completely solved my Terrakion issue. I really appreciate it. And I agree with your suggestion on Jirachi. I'm using Fire punch now.

I've updated the RMT to reflect the changes that have stuck so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)