Shake - A B2W2 OU Trick Room RMT

Shake

“Say less than thou knowest, know more than showest.” – Shakespeare

From the depths of time and the ages that hath rolled, he ariseth in form most sublime… or not. For centuries, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Worded has brought terror and perplexity to those who dare to embark upon the task of comprehending his works – not to mention hours of agony to students and scholars alike (I’m glad I didn’t teach him). Yet – yet he stands the test of time. No less terrifying in manipulating time is the phenomenon known as Trick Room. Fellow Smogonites, shaekth in trepidation at the sight of my B2W2 OU Trick Room team, Shake!

Incomprehensible playrights aside, I would like you to note that this is my first RMT, so feel free to point out any inadvertent shortcomings. I find that Trick Room is a very effective means of taking the speed-oriented metagame by storm, and have achieved greater success with it than with other teams I have used in the past. Without further ado, here is the team at a glance:​

My Shakespearean Loyalists – At a Glance

Deconstructing Him – Building Process

I began with two Trick Room users who are tried and true Pokemon with respect to TR teams. One is part of my offensive core and the other is my standard lead/wall against many teams.

Slowbro is my third Trick Room user who is specially oriented, naturally, and is able to set up Trick Room against a large variety of threats and come in repeatedly due to Regenerator.

With Reuniclus as my primary special abuser of Trick Room, I chose Aggron as my physical abuser. Its resistances complement the team well and titantic Defense largely compensate for the team’s present lack of physical presence.

With a physical and a special abuser present, I now needed a mixed sweeper who could also function as a stallbreaker. Dragonite was a readymade solution, and Multiscale often enables it utilise another turn of Trick Room. Added to this is priority in the form of Extremespeed and you have a very useful member of the team.

Finally, the team needed a Pokemon to clean up after my Trick Room sweepers have eradicated major members of the opponent’s team, or at least punched holes in their defense. Choice Scarf Salamence fit the bill perfectly, and with Moxie complementing its sweep, very little stands in the path of victory after major threats have been eliminated.

I decided to replace Aggron with Conkeldurr in order to trade better defense for more offensive power, while still maintaining decent bulk.

Guide to His Inexplicable Masterpieces – The Team

The Main Character

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 96 HP / 160 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Psychic (Psyshock)
- Hidden Power [Fire] (Focus Blast)
- Shadow Ball

Hands down, Reuniclus is one of the most destructive Pokemon you can expect to see on a Trick Room team. Magic Guard is invaluable for the ability to abuse Life Orb and avoid entry hazard damage, even more so in Trick Room. The moveset is bog standard, and the EVs are optimized to enable Reuniclus to inflict maximum damage and take physical attacks much more effectively. Taking Sciztar's suggestions, Psychic is used over Psyshock to handle Gliscor, whereas HP Fire gives Reuniclus an edge over Scizor, Genesect, Ferrothorn and Forretress, among others.

The Conflict

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 180 Atk / 84 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion​

Bronzong’s typing and excellent mixed defensive stats make it a prime candidate for setting up Trick Room. Stealth Rock is useful when you consider the switches which tend to be forced by other powerful sweepers on the team. Despite the nerf to Explosion, I still find it very useful when Bronzong is about to lose to an opponent under Trick Room, enabling it to go out with a bang and bring in another sweeper uninhibited. The Attack EVs enable Bronzong to take down weakened threats and inflict reasonable damage with explosion. EVs are distributed to take attacks on both sides of the spectrum better.​

The Comedy

Slowking (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Yawn

The first question you might be asking is – why in the name of Shakespeare’s bones is Slowking on this team instead of Slowbro? Well, I found that I needed more defense on the special side of the spectrum in order to handle common special weather abusers better, with a few exceptions. Furthermore, Slowking’s better Special Attack gives it an edge over Pokemon like Forretress, Skarmory and to a lesser extent, Ferrothorn (using Fire Blast), which would otherwise hamper my Trick Room users. Credit goes to Absolete in his RMT Celestial Beings for the moveset, which functions the same way as on Slowbro but with increased Special Attack. Regenerator enables Slowking to come in repeatedly, while the EVs ensure optimal HP recovery with Leftovers and an ability to take most special assaults.​

The Anomaly

Conkeldurr (F) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm​
(Drain Punch)
- Earthquake (Facade)
- Rock Slide (Stone Edge)
- Mach Punch

In accordance with ganj4lF's suggestion, I have replaced Aggron with Conkeldurr in order to gain the upper hand against bulkier threats. With Guts activated and a +Attack Nature, Conkeldurr KOs or 2KOs most opponents with ease. Earthquake is used over Facade (kudos to Red3mpti0n) to OHKO 252 HP Jirachi, which threatens to stall out my Trick Room turns indefinitely and is in general problematic for this team. Hammer Arm syncs well with Trick Room, boosting Conkeldurr's effacy with the speed drop (thanks Chimpakt and Sciztar!). As per Sciztar's suggestion, Stone Edge has been replaced with Rock Slide to minimise the chances of missing under Trick Room conditions which is costly - plus, the 30% flinch rate is useful. The EVs ensure maximum damage output while maintaining reasonable bulk.

The Theme

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb (Expert Belt)
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extremespeed

Dragonite is a magnificent mixed attacker under Trick Room and also my primary stallbreaker. I have focused on Special Attack to make Draco Meteor as powerful as possible, although I have not spared Attack either. Although Life Orb compromises Multiscale, the extra damage output from Draco Meteor and Outrage often sets the difference between a KO and defeat.

The Tragedy

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive (Naughty) Nature
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Moxie Salamence is terrifying with a Choice Scarf attached, and does indeed bring about tragedy in the eyes of the foe when all other opposition has been eliminated. This is intended to function solely outside of Trick Room during the endgame, and Outrage will generally suffice to defeat the few remaining opponents. Fire Blast is for Forretress, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and company, while the other moves are enough to cover all threats. A Speed boosting nature has been used to outspeed max Speed positive natured Choice Scarf Genesect, which otherwise outspeed and KO Salamence with Ice Beam.​

To Escape Him – Closing Comments

This is the most capable team I have used till date, and I have put a lot of thought into composing it. It was only fitting that I decided to make an RMT on the same. Using this team on Pokemon Showdown, my present peak is at 1728 - hence, I would appreciate constructive criticism on how to improve it. A special thanks to Sciztar for his highly informative OU Guide to Trick Room, and to Absolete, from whose RMT Celestial Beings I have borrowed some very useful ideas and movesets. Further thanks to ganj4lF, Sciztar, Chimpakt and Red3empti0n for movesets and other suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to enjoy my team, and hail the demise of Shakespeare (who lives on…)! (This is my first post on Smogon, and I would like to get involved in the community as far as it is possible for me to do so!)​

Importable:
Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 96 HP / 160 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 180 Atk / 84 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Slowking (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Yawn

Conkeldurr (F) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Mach Punch

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extremespeed

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Retired Members:
Aggron (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def
Brave Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi. I'm probably not the best person to rate a Trick Room team, since I very rarely play one, however I'd like to let a comment anyway. Your team, while being able to threaten quite well more offensively oriented teams, struggles to take down slower, bulkier enemies. For example, Hydration Vaporeon in the rain is a nightmare and you're completely unable to kill it. Your best bet is to weaken it with Reuniclus and try to KO with Aggron, however the lack of a really strong physical attack is troublesome. That's why I suggest changing your Aggron to a Status Orb Conkeldurr. It still retain a good physical bulk, but it's able to hit WAY harder (for example, Facade 2HKOs said Vaporeon, which is quite a good achievement seeing how bulky the thing is), and can recover HP via Drain Punch. It also offers you a status absorber, that can be useful in case of annoying Spores flying around. Also, while Fighting type doesn't bring into play the array of resistances Steel provides, it's still a good defensive typing, and doesn't fall horribly to Ground and Fighting moves like Aggron does. It can also boast a decent priority move in case Trick Room expires.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb / Toxic Orb | Guts
Brave | 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD | 0 Spe IVs
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch

Also, I suggest to put that Life Orb back onto Dragonite. Okay, it breaks Multiscale, but Draco Meteor and ExtremeSpeed are very rarely boosted by Expert Belt, and that's really underwhelming. 30% less damage is indeed noticeable, especially when your opponent is not weak to Superpower / Fire Blast, and you need a strong move to eliminate it. Also, having a LO boosted ExtremeSpeed can pull you out from tricky situations, when you cannot set up TR for some reasons and the opponent's Volcarona gets off a Quiver Dance, that could otherwise result in a sweep.

Okay, I used too much the word "also", I hope my post is understandable and helpful anyway. Good luck with your team!

Thanks ganj4lF, I really appreciate your rate. You do have a point here - this team does struggle with bulkier opponents without super effective coverage, and Vaporeon is a case in point, though I personally find Politoed more problematic. I will test out Conkeldurr and replace Aggron if it works better. However, I think that might bring out a bit less physical defense than this team requires overall, which would require me to tweak Bronzong's spread. Anyways, I'll give it a shot, alongside LO Dragonite.

EDIT: Your suggestions have been very helpful and Conkeldurr is performing better than Aggron. I've also decided to make the switch to LO on Dragonite. Thanks!

Reserve for RMT

This team is very good, but there are some small problems.

I don't see the point in Salamence and Dragonite on the same team, especially both on a Trick Room team. I know you want a choice scarfer for when Trick Room ends, but you have a problem with Stealth Rocks and Ice Beam my friend. Plus you have the same type of moveset on Salamence and Dragonite, I would switch out Salamence for Porygon2. Now Porygon2 this Gen was great for him. He is a great wall and has the BoltBeam coverage. With Porygon2 you will have 4 Pokemon with Trick Room, which will help you greatly in the match, because they can easily sweep with Trick Room up without having to switch out. I would us the basic 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD on Porygon2 w/ Trick Room, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam , Recover.

If you are having a problem with special moves I would not use Slowking, I would use Jellicent. Jellicent is good for stoping rain teams and the CB Keldo, which are becoming popular i rain teams now. Jellicent < Slowking. I would give him EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp Atk.

I would change your EVs around on Reuniclus, if you want it ot more physically defensive go with 160 Def Ev's. This lets you tank an Outrage from Choice Banded Dragonite. So change the EVs to 96 HP / 160 Def / 252 SAtk. Plus I would change Psyshock to Psychic, you already have Conkeldurr to stop Chansey and Blissey on the physical side, plus you need to be able to stop Gliscor. Also change Focus Blast to Hidden Power Fire, This will let Reuniclus lure in and OHKO Genesect and Scizor who commonly switch into Reuniclus, because I see those two having a problem with your team. Plus it can help stop Skarmory and Ferrothorn, and Forrestress.

Conkeldurr, I would change Stone Edge to Rockslide IMO. Stone Edge may be great, but the 80% accuracy can hurt you when you desperately need it, plu syou have a small chance of flinching your opponent. Also don't use Drain Punch, you are only going got keep Conkeldurr on the field for three turns because of the recoil damage from Flame Orb, so I would suggest switching Drain Punch for Hammer arm. This will make you faster under Trick Room, and it's a much better STAB move.

In Conclusion

Reuniclus: Psychic>Psyshock, EV 96 HP / 160 Def / 252 SpAtk
Conkeldurr: Rockslide>Stone Edge, Hammer Arm>Drain Punch
Poygon2>Salamence,
Jellicent>Slowking

Hoped I help, GL :)

Huge thanks for the rate Sciztar!

You misinterpreted my use of Salamence there. True, I intend to use Salamence only outside Trick Room, but only in the endgame after most other threats have been eliminated. This usually means that I switch in Salamence only once or twice in the entire game - hence the issue with Stealth Rock does not arise. Salamence is incredibly capable of picking up multiple KOs due to Moxie, something which Porygon2 cannot always guarantee. Furthermore, Porygon2 is purely a special attacker - I have sufficient special attackers on my team, whereas Salamence is a mixed attacker with an emphasis on physical offense. IMO, keeping Trick Room perpetually up is not necessary. The only threat to Salamence coming from users of Ice type attacks are those that can outspeed it or use priority. Mamoswine and Abomasnow are the primary Ice Shard users which threaten Salamence, and these threats should be eliminated beforehand to ensure an effortless sweep. The only threatening Ice Beam user (to Salamence) that I can think of is CS Genesect with a Speed boosting nature, which I can probably remedy by running a Speed boosting nature of my own. Does that sound alright?

As great as Jellicent is, there are two reasons why I prefer Slowking. Firstly, its access to Yawn is invaluable, which almost always gives me an extra turn to set up Trick Room. Secondly, being a user of Fire Blast, it gives me an edge over Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, and even Scizor/Genesect, something which Jellicent does not do as easily, as it can wall but not outright KO them. Slowking has better Special Attack, and I do not have difficulties with handling most special assaults.

I would definitely agree with you on the changes to Reuniclus' moveset and EVs. Rock Slide>Stone Edge on Conkeldurr is also a great idea. I would still prefer Drain Punch over Hammer Arm as it ensures that Conkeldurr can be kept on the field much longer, provided it inflicts enough damage to its opponents. Hammer Arm is giving me about 23% more damage output than Drain Punch on average, by my calculations, but keeping Conkeldurr on the field longer is more important to me, as it can perform well even outside of Trick Room, as ganj4lF pointed out.

I really appreciate your rate, amigo!

Your Slowking, doesn't even OHKO those threats you were talking about, just Scizor. You don't even OHKO the standard ferrothorn. Slowking is also bait for those threats, if you want to keep Slowking, change his EVs around to 252 SpAtk, you don't need a wall under Trick Room. You want your Trick Roomers to be able to sweep under Trick Room, and not have to be able to switch out.

I would definitly replace stone edge / rock slide by ice punch , it's much reliable , hits the same things with the benefit of hurting gliscor/amoongus , I don't see any reason not to run it .

CM keldeo seems like a big threat to this team , maybe you should change the moveset on slowking and add a psychock , just remove yawn i don't see it being that useful actually .

Explosion is meh on bronzong , it's a wonderful pokemon in today's meta and a check to a lot of things , not to mention explosion got nerfed , replace it with earthquake so you don't get trapped by magnezone .

Otherwise team seems cool , i'm not that fan of aggron but if it work for you , it's ok , just watch out for rain teams since you don't have a weather on your own , you're gonna have trouble taking hydropumps , since your slowking doesn't do anything to rain sweepers .

good luck .

Your Slowking, doesn't even OHKO those threats you were talking about, just Scizor. You don't even OHKO the standard ferrothorn. Slowking is also bait for those threats, if you want to keep Slowking, change his EVs around to 252 SpAtk, you don't need a wall under Trick Room. You want your Trick Roomers to be able to sweep under Trick Room, and not have to be able to switch out.
Look here, I ran some damage calcs and I found that Slowking isn't guaranteed to OHKO Standard Ferrothorn even with a SpA boosting nature and 252 SpA EVs, whereas I cleanly 2KO Ferrothorn with my current EV spread, so investment doesn't make sense to me. OHKO Forretress is out of the question with Sturdy, and Skarmory falls in a similar position like Forretress. Furthermore, my present Slowking cleanly OHKOs Standard Genesect, hands down, and Genesect/Scizor are the only threats to Slowking which I mentioned that can and are OHKOed by Slowking's Fire Blast. Besides, the extra SpD helps me take attacks like Thunder from Jirachi and Volt Switch from a number of common users, bar Thundurus-T and perhaps CS Rotom formes. I don't intend to OHKO everything in sight with Slowking, but keep it in play long enough to set up Trick Room repeatedly, which Regenerator helps with. Hope that clarifies matters.

I would definitly replace stone edge / rock slide by ice punch , it's much reliable , hits the same things with the benefit of hurting gliscor/amoongus , I don't see any reason not to run it .

CM keldeo seems like a big threat to this team , maybe you should change the moveset on slowking and add a psychock , just remove yawn i don't see it being that useful actually .

Explosion is meh on bronzong , it's a wonderful pokemon in today's meta and a check to a lot of things , not to mention explosion got nerfed , replace it with earthquake so you don't get trapped by magnezone .

Otherwise team seems cool , i'm not that fan of aggron but if it work for you , it's ok , just watch out for rain teams since you don't have a weather on your own , you're gonna have trouble taking hydropumps , since your slowking doesn't do anything to rain sweepers .

good luck .
Thanks for the rate! I've replaced Aggron with Conkeldurr already - check it out.

Yawn is probably the most important move on Slowking's moveset, actually. I t enables me to force out an opponent (who generally does not want to stay in and fall asleep), giving me a free turn to set up Trick Room. Speaking of which, I can force out CM Keldeo with Yawn as well.

The main reason I run Explosion is to bring in another sweeper unscathed when Bronzong has little utility left. Hence I can explode on Magnezone and bring some other team member in - that tends to bring me momentum, actually.

Conkeldurr's Rock Slide is essential to taking down Volcanora and Ninetales, both of which threaten my team. Amoongus can be brought down with a combination of Facade and Mach Punch - Facade even has a decent chance to OHKO Amoongus after SR. Personally, I have not had to face Amoongus with this team yet, but it does not pose a very big threat to me. Gliscor can be 2KOed by Conkeldurr using Facade after SR, but I would generally bring in Reuniclus or Slowking to handle it.

Hope my explanations were clear. Thanks for the insight!

You alreay ohko most volcarona and ninetales with facade , I played trick room a lot in the past meta , and seriously , gliscor is a big pain in the ass , more of a pain for your team since bronzong doesn't last long , the sub protect toxic can really steal all the momentum from your team , waste your precious turns with protect , and just toxic stall everything .

I never tried yawn actually so maybe you're right about it , i'll test it .

And for some readon i thought you played both aggron and conkeldurr lol .

I am, of course, a huge fan of this team. Well done. However, I would very much agree that having Dragonite and Salamence is a bit of overkill. The easiest suggestion I would provide would be to switch Dragonite out for Druddigon. The "loss" in power from the lower special attack is nearly 100% negated by sheer force, provided you're using a move with a secondary effect. This lowers the power from Fire Blast to Heat Wave, but most OHKOs will still be intact, and the loss isn't huge. On the gaining side of the matter, you gain a lower weakness to ice and lose a weakness to stealth rocks. Just a suggestion, other than that well done.

I am, of course, a huge fan of this team. Well done. However, I would very much agree that having Dragonite and Salamence is a bit of overkill. The easiest suggestion I would provide would be to switch Dragonite out for Druddigon. The "loss" in power from the lower special attack is nearly 100% negated by sheer force, provided you're using a move with a secondary effect. This lowers the power from Fire Blast to Heat Wave, but most OHKOs will still be intact, and the loss isn't huge. On the gaining side of the matter, you gain a lower weakness to ice and lose a weakness to stealth rocks. Just a suggestion, other than that well done.
Thanks a bunch for rating my team! IMO, you've already made a major contribution to this team in the form of Slowking's moveset, which I borrowed from your Slowbro in Celestial Beings. It's been a significant player on my team, and I think that is in part because of your ingenuity.

Personally, I fell in love with your Druddigon idea... at first. It seemed to have everything going for it - low speed, decent Bulk, no LO recoil with Sheer Force - but then I decided to run some calcs. Turns out Druddigon misses out on a lot of KOs which Dragonite gets. Flamethrower on Druddigon 2KOs standard Ferrothorn where Dragonite OHKOs it with Fire Blast, and Superpower is more detrimental to Druddigon's existence than Dragonite's because the attack drop hurts it more, thanks to it being more of a physical sweeper under TR with a special attack (like my Salamence), as opposed to a dedicated mixed wallbreaker like Dragonite. The fact that Druddigon lacks that mixed wallbreaking might is what made me decide against it. Druddigon does not have the ability to match Dragonite's Draco Meteor with any of its special attacks, and Sheer Force on Druddigon does not give many powerful moves a boost, such as the aforementioned Draco Meteor, Superpower, or even Earthquake.

I still think the idea was good, though, and if I make an UU or RU Trick Room team in the future, I will strongly consider it. Thanks!

I'm going to start by saying that the team looks solid, but I have a few critiques and questions.
Have you considered Ferrothorn? He can be Attack invested to make a brilliant physical Trick Room sweeper, and can set up Rocks if needed. There are multiple sets you could run that would compliment your team greatly. Perhaps over Bronzong?
If your Conkeldurr is unable to fight (due to sleep/no HP) what would be your backup way of dealing with Dark/Bug? You have three Psychic-type Pokemon, and although one is of neutral resistance towards it, (Bronzong) that could make quite a large dent in the team.
Your team also looks susceptible to Weavile, (although not seen much in OU, he is a core part in my team), as Ice Punch would OHKO Salamence, most likely the same for Dragonite depending on investment and Multiscale, and Night Slash could ruin the Psychic-type Trick Room abusers.
Also, the one question I pose to you - how will this team fare against the upcoming Garchomp in OU?

I'm going to start by saying that the team looks solid, but I have a few critiques and questions.
Have you considered Ferrothorn? He can be Attack invested to make a brilliant physical Trick Room sweeper, and can set up Rocks if needed. There are multiple sets you could run that would compliment your team greatly. Perhaps over Bronzong?
If your Conkeldurr is unable to fight (due to sleep/no HP) what would be your backup way of dealing with Dark/Bug? You have three Psychic-type Pokemon, and although one is of neutral resistance towards it, (Bronzong) that could make quite a large dent in the team.
Your team also looks susceptible to Weavile, (although not seen much in OU, he is a core part in my team), as Ice Punch would OHKO Salamence, most likely the same for Dragonite depending on investment and Multiscale, and Night Slash could ruin the Psychic-type Trick Room abusers.
Also, the one question I pose to you - how will this team fare against the upcoming Garchomp in OU?
Appreciate your critique Yeezy. Now, on to your questions...

Ferrothorn is undoubtedly a fine Pokemon, but remember that I'm using Bronzong as a Pokemon to set up Trick Room. Having at least 3 Pokemon to set up Trick Room is a must, and I would be unwilling to sacrifice a Pokemon which can set up TR for the sake of fuelling the team. Bronzong is quite capable where it is, despite not having some of the perks which Ferrothorn has.

Where does the question of Conkeldurr falling asleep come into play when it's statused by its Orb? I would obviously not switch Conkeldurr into a sleep inducer unless I was sure of KOing it or was already afflicted by burn due to Flame Orb. If Conkeldurr was out of commission, I would have you note that I have several Pokemon running Fire type moves to handle Bug types. Dark types aren't altogether that common in OU, but either Dragonite or Salamence would have the necessary firepower to handle such Pokemon. If you listed specific threats, I might be able to shed more light on this. As for Weavile, Bronzong and Conkeldurr are solid counters to it, IMO.

Garchomp... well under Trick Room conditions, I have a lot of Pokemon which can counter Garchomp. I suppose the greatest threat to this team coming from Garchomp would be the Choice Scarf set, but it's nothing that can't be played around with proper prediction and priority. That's not to discount Garchomp as a threat, however, but I feel my team has the resources to handle it.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to rate!

I had overlooked the Orb on Conkeldurr, forgive me.
The reason my post was a bit unordinary is because I try to speak from experience, and my experience with Trick Room teams is my mediocre variant of one, and a friend of mine on Showdown that made one as a counter to my Smeargle team, (thus the questioning of uncommon threats such as Weavile, who flourishes to make common 5 or 6 man sweeps inside the team).
So as you can tell, I am not overly experienced in Trick Room teams, I have tried my hand at one but didn't warm towards the playstyle as the team can turn from hyper aggression to frailty only at the vacancy of Trick Room, but as I say, I speak from experience not from in-depth knowledge.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Facade

I believe Hammer Arm is superior to Drain Punch on a Trick Room team. The power of the move is enough to warrant its usage. Drain Punch is going to miss out on some crucial OHKO/2hko's and you may get some recovery out of it, but you are on a timer. Trick room doesn't last forever and you need to make the most of it. If you are intent on using Drain Punch, I would take out some of the HP EVs and put them in SpD, so that you heal more percentage HP from Drain Punch and take special hits overall better.

Thanks for bringing this to light Chimpakt. This post prompted me to run a few damage calcs, and I found that Conkeldurr almost always loses against 252 HP/252 SpA Politoed using Drain Punch. Hence, I've decided to make the switch to the above set, albeit with a change in EVs. I found that Conkeldurr doesn't take special attacks from premier special attackers in OU even with max investment in SpD. Hence, I've decided to run max HP instead. Thanks again for the input!

Trick room is very viable in this metagame, and is hugely underused so props to using it! Great team too!
Conkeldurr - personally id run hammer arm over drain punch on trick room, however it depends how you play him, if you switch into attacks with him, then you Hp will drain quickly. If you play him like this, then despite the damage calcs, id still go with drain punch. Though i do agree with chimpakt in that if you do that move the Evs.
Dragonite - dragonite and conkeldur lose health quickly, which to me suggest that the longer the battle, the less likely you are to win? (I may be wrong, but against a good player with a stall team id say your team is outclassed) to rectify this id either swap life orb for lefties. Or keep life orb, and swap a move (not extreme speed) for roost. This means your multiscale stays in tact for longer. And your team has much more surviivability.
Eitherway, good luck with the team! It looks really good!

Trick room is very viable in this metagame, and is hugely underused so props to using it! Great team too!
Conkeldurr - personally id run hammer arm over drain punch on trick room, however it depends how you play him, if you switch into attacks with him, then you Hp will drain quickly. If you play him like this, then despite the damage calcs, id still go with drain punch. Though i do agree with chimpakt in that if you do that move the Evs.
Dragonite - dragonite and conkeldur lose health quickly, which to me suggest that the longer the battle, the less likely you are to win? (I may be wrong, but against a good player with a stall team id say your team is outclassed) to rectify this id either swap life orb for lefties. Or keep life orb, and swap a move (not extreme speed) for roost. This means your multiscale stays in tact for longer. And your team has much more surviivability.
Eitherway, good luck with the team! It looks really good!
Thanks for the positive input! I've already made the switch to Hammer Arm, but I'm now running max HP for two reasons. Firstly, Conkeldurr doesn't take special attacks much better ever with max investment in SpD, by my calcs. Secondly, if you've been following this RMT, you'll notice I switched Aggron for Conkeldurr. Aggron had terrible SpD, but great Def, and Conkeldurr aims to capitalize on that in a smaller way.

You would be right on that... I am less likely to win if the battle is long-drawn. However, the extra damage output from LO on Dragonite nets me some important KOs, and with Trick Room up I am on a timer. Dragonite doesn't function outside of TR as well as Conkeldurr, and so I need to capitalize on the turns it gets inside of Trick Room. Stall is an inherent weakness of Trick Room, however, I have plans to remedy this in future teams. Check out my discussion I very recently posted in the group Trick Room Experts (join if you haven't) , and contribute if you're interested!(http://www.smogon.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=31416)Thanks for the rate!

Probably one of the greatest themes I have ever seen a team built off of. Major props :toast:

Anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of MixNite and I have to say I'm impressed with how well you've made it work in this case. TR completely remedies the traditional MixNite EV tug of war between needing more speed to hit key targets and needing more power to make Extremespeed viable. Not to mention Extremespeed lets Dnite work around the ever-twisting dimensions.

I agree that on MixNite, LO is a necessity. The differences in damage output are jaw-dropping. However, it has severe four moveslot syndrome as well and i see that lacking EQ makes SpD Jirachi problematic for the team, especially in the rain. Even out of rain, HP Fire is a only a 3HKO. ScarfMence and Conkeldurr are your only "answers" to it.

Mence is not typically going to enjoy locking itself into anything but Outrage late-game, meaning you'll need to beat Jirachi before that. Needing to lock into EQ early to mid-game in a tier full of Flying-types, Levitators and Air Balloon users to eliminate a common but apparent threat is just asking for trouble. And trying to do that while twisting the dimensions is even tougher to manage.

As you said, you're on a timer with TR. Conkeldurr's Hammer Arm is a 2HKO on SpD Jirachi, using up 2/3 of the usable TR turns. In that time, Jirachi can Wish/Protect to its heart's content until TR runs out. The only thing I could recommend is Earthquake > Facade on Conkeldurr for the OHKO on Jirachi. It's redundant coverage with Hammer Arm, but "EdgeSlide" (lol) is by no means bad coverage. Also, Flame Orb ensures that Jirachi cannot paraflinch Conkeldurr to death outside TR (very situational, but with TR up, you could even switch Conk in to eat the paralysis before Flame Orb has activated.) The only thing you miss out on by dropping Facade is not hitting Gliscor as hard. Food for thought :)

Hey Saur AB i got your request and a great Trick Room team i must add :)

Ok looking at your team it seems to be quite a slid Trick Room team however i did notice a few things that can be changed to make your team more efficent. Firstly while two Dragon-type pokemon work well on this team offensively speaking it does give you a few issues. Firstly Stealth Rock severly hampers both of there abilities to dish out damage which may be a bigger issue then you think because stacked with Life Orb recoil Dragonite will go down quickly while they will both be switching in and out a lot due to the fact that you will need to set up Trick Room again. With these repeated switches and no Rapid Spin user Stealth Rock will be a pain for these dragons to handle. Also with both of their Dragon and Ice-type weaknesses there will be a lot of pressure on Bronzong to wall these attacks and set up Trick Room which is hard with no recovery on Bronzong.

To help remedy this problem i suggest Choice Scarf Genesect>Choice Scarf Salamence Genesect solves some synergy issues as well as eliminating a Stealth Rock weakness. He also provides very similar roles to Salamanece being a great revenge killer with a Choice Scarf and also being a potent late game cleaner especially if he has got a SpA boost from Download. Another awesome thing about Genesect is he lets you set up Trick Room easier. With U-turn Genesect can switch out into one of your Trick Room setters whilst simultanously dealing damage. This tactic is especially good as Genesect lures in Heatran, letting you U-turn into Slowking to get up Trick Room on Heatran or attack with Surf! The loss of Salamence isn't to bad because as i mentioned Genesect preforms similar roles while it has better synergy with your team as well. Although he gives you a Fire-type weakness Slowbro and Dragonite handle that nicely.

My only other suggestion is reagarding your Bronzong i dont really like the use of Explosion on Bronzor only because its power got nerfed in BW and it makes you lose Bronzong upon use. A much better option would be Earthqauke>Explosion Earthquake lets you beat Magnezone switch ins who would otherwise trap and ko Bronzong who is quite important to your team for obvious reasons (Trick Room, Stealth Rock)

Good luck with the team i hope i helped! Also Luvdisc'd :)

Sets

Genesect @ Choice Scarf | Download
Naive | 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
U-turn | Flamethrower | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam

Tl;dr
Genesect--->Salamence

Bronzong
.Earthquake--->Explosion

~Superpowerdude

Probably one of the greatest themes I have ever seen a team built off of. Major props :toast:

Anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of MixNite and I have to say I'm impressed with how well you've made it work in this case. TR completely remedies the traditional MixNite EV tug of war between needing more speed to hit key targets and needing more power to make Extremespeed viable. Not to mention Extremespeed lets Dnite work around the ever-twisting dimensions.

I agree that on MixNite, LO is a necessity. The differences in damage output are jaw-dropping. However, it has severe four moveslot syndrome as well and i see that lacking EQ makes SpD Jirachi problematic for the team, especially in the rain. Even out of rain, HP Fire is a only a 3HKO. ScarfMence and Conkeldurr are your only "answers" to it.

Mence is not typically going to enjoy locking itself into anything but Outrage late-game, meaning you'll need to beat Jirachi before that. Needing to lock into EQ early to mid-game in a tier full of Flying-types, Levitators and Air Balloon users to eliminate a common but apparent threat is just asking for trouble. And trying to do that while twisting the dimensions is even tougher to manage.

As you said, you're on a timer with TR. Conkeldurr's Hammer Arm is a 2HKO on SpD Jirachi, using up 2/3 of the usable TR turns. In that time, Jirachi can Wish/Protect to its heart's content until TR runs out. The only thing I could recommend is Earthquake > Facade on Conkeldurr for the OHKO on Jirachi. It's redundant coverage with Hammer Arm, but "EdgeSlide" (lol) is by no means bad coverage. Also, Flame Orb ensures that Jirachi cannot paraflinch Conkeldurr to death outside TR (very situational, but with TR up, you could even switch Conk in to eat the paralysis before Flame Orb has activated.) The only thing you miss out on by dropping Facade is not hitting Gliscor as hard. Food for thought :)
I'm glad you liked the theme and thanks for the Luv:)!

This was food for thought indeed, but in the end I've decided to make the change to Earthquake. The loss of Facade does make me lose out on some powerful neutral coverage, but Jirachi has been problematic in the past and I very rarely bring Salamence out more than once in the game (the endgame). Kudos to you for bringing this to light!

Hey Saur AB i got your request and a great Trick Room team i must add :)

Ok looking at your team it seems to be quite a slid Trick Room team however i did notice a few things that can be changed to make your team more efficent. Firstly while two Dragon-type pokemon work well on this team offensively speaking it does give you a few issues. Firstly Stealth Rock severly hampers both of there abilities to dish out damage which may be a bigger issue then you think because stacked with Life Orb recoil Dragonite will go down quickly while they will both be switching in and out a lot due to the fact that you will need to set up Trick Room again. With these repeated switches and no Rapid Spin user Stealth Rock will be a pain for these dragons to handle. Also with both of their Dragon and Ice-type weaknesses there will be a lot of pressure on Bronzong to wall these attacks and set up Trick Room which is hard with no recovery on Bronzong.

To help remedy this problem i suggest Choice Scarf Genesect>Choice Scarf Salamence Genesect solves some synergy issues as well as eliminating a Stealth Rock weakness. He also provides very similar roles to Salamanece being a great revenge killer with a Choice Scarf and also being a potent late game cleaner especially if he has got a SpA boost from Download. Another awesome thing about Genesect is he lets you set up Trick Room easier. With U-turn Genesect can switch out into one of your Trick Room setters whilst simultanously dealing damage. This tactic is especially good as Genesect lures in Heatran, letting you U-turn into Slowking to get up Trick Room on Heatran or attack with Surf! The loss of Salamence isn't to bad because as i mentioned Genesect preforms similar roles while it has better synergy with your team as well. Although he gives you a Fire-type weakness Slowbro and Dragonite handle that nicely.

My only other suggestion is reagarding your Bronzong i dont really like the use of Explosion on Bronzor only because its power got nerfed in BW and it makes you lose Bronzong upon use. A much better option would be Earthqauke>Explosion Earthquake lets you beat Magnezone switch ins who would otherwise trap and ko Bronzong who is quite important to your team for obvious reasons (Trick Room, Stealth Rock)

Good luck with the team i hope i helped! Also Luvdisc'd :)

Sets

Genesect @ Choice Scarf | Download
Naive | 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
U-turn | Flamethrower | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam

Tl;dr
Genesect--->Salamence

Bronzong
.Earthquake--->Explosion

~Superpowerdude
Thanks for the rate Superpowerdude! The concerns you have brought up have been brought up in the past, so let me clarify this once and for all. I practically never bring Salamence out till the endgame, so I effectively send it out only once. As such, Salamence takes damage from Stealth Rock only once, and the problem with Ice type moves is unwarranted (excepting Ice Shard). Think of it this way - the rest of my team and Salamence function as separate units - Salamence isn't my team player; it just sweeps once the other members of my team have punched enough holes. The role you bring in with Genesect involves bringing it in midgame, which is not quite how my team functions. It's Salamence's job to be the late game cleaner, and while Genesect does this very well, the accumulated boosts with Moxie outclass Genesect's single Download boost by a mile. Additionally, Genesect's base 99 speed makes it lose out on any chance of even speed tying with Choice Scarf base 100s, which are quite numerous in OU.

The main reason I run Explosion on Bronzong is because it gives me a free chance to send in a Trick Room sweeper. Granted, the Explosion nerf hurts, but Bronzong's offensive presence on my team is minimal, and it acts as a kind of pivot for the rest of my team. Explosion allows it to do just that, and whatever comes in will either take down or force out Magnezone. By the time Bronzong faints, it has already done its job.

Appreciate the effort you put into your rate!

Ino my rate is a long way up there, but the theme on this RMT is awesome! Haha just checkin up to see how the team has got on.
However i do have a suggestion:
3 psychics??? Id change one to a dark type. This gives you a fight, psychic, dark core, that has perfect defensive neutral coverage.
However i dont know what id change it to, as i cant think of any dark with TR :/ so probebly a bad rate hahah

Speaking of coverage, I'd recommend Porygon 2. It is immune to Ghost, and can take all the Dark type hits in the game. LO Timid SpA252 Hydreigon's Dark pulse does less than 33%. Ttar's crunch does worse if you use this

Porygon2 TR/Icebeam/Recover/Tbolt or chrage beam. Hp244 SpD 96 rest to def.

I would say Rhyperior instead of Salamence. it can punch through things, and has wide coverage. Victini could be nice,using V generate to slow itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)