Tyranitar [full revamp] (Stage 2) GP Check: 2/2

DD Tyranitar:

[Overview]

<p>Tyranitar is the most powerful Pokemon in the ADV OU metagame. With the ability to both hit from behind bulky Substitutes and sweep with Dragon Dance, it is the one of the toughest non-Uber threats to counter. Sand Stream negates Leftovers recovery for a lot of Pokemon too, which makes Milotic and Suicune less reliable switch-ins. Unlike Salamence, it can even stay in on bulky Water-types if need be to land a finishing blow.</p>

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Bug / Taunt
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 16 HP / 204 Atk / 120 Def / 172 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Every ADV OU team must be able to deal with this set, as it is one of the most threatening sweepers in the metagame. Setting up Dragon Dance as soon as you switch in Tyranitar early-game is foolish; it should always test the waters first by attacking before attempting to set up. This allows Tyranitar to weaken the opponent's Swampert or Suicune to the point where it can take them out with a boosted attack the next time it switches in.</p>

<p>The final moveslot is mainly for additional coverage. Hidden Power Bug beats Celebi and Claydol, two Pokemon who may try to counter you. Taunt stops Skarmory and other Phazers from roaring you out or healing, allowing Tyranitar to slowly wear them down overtime. When paired with Spikes, Taunting switch-ins like Milotic can devastate a team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokemon that can bait out bulky waters are usually the best pairing for Tyranitar. Self-Destruct Snorlax, Explosion Metagross, and even sets like Hidden Power Grass Salamence can wear down Tyranitar's counters to the point that a Tyranitar sweep is inevitable. Magneton can fit on these highly offensive teams as an answer to Skarmory, allowing you to overwhelm the opponent with physical attacks. Packing an entry hazard user is also recommended to wear down walls such as Swampert, which can halt Tyranitar's sweep; Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory can also hit such walls with Toxic on the switch.</p>

<p>The HP EVs and Defense EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Jolly Dugtrio's Choice Band Earthquake. 172 Speed EVs outruns every neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon after a Dragon Dance, and the rest is poured into attack for power. A Jolly Tyranitar with more Speed can be used to beat Adamant Dugtrio and Gengar after a Dragon Dance, but the lack of power is noticeable.</p>

<p>Tyranitar can play the luring role himself by using Ice Beam or Hidden Power Grass in the final slot for Flygon, Claydol, Swampert, and other defensive walls. While this might effectively weaken some, it also hurts Tyranitar's physical coverage.</p>

---

Thanks to Dekzeh for giving me the EV Spread to Special Tyranitar and helping me decide the final moves for an Analysis. I actually like Ice Beam more but Rock Slide is way more common in ADV and has merits, which is why it should still be listed first.

[SET]
name: Special
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Hidden Power Grass
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Rock Slide / Ice Beam
nature: Naughty / Modest
evs: 188 HP / 240 SpA / 80 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>STAB Pursuit, a diverse movepool, and the stats to back it up make Tyranitar a premiere wallbreaker in ADV OU. This set abuses Tyranitar's special moves to assist in taking down more defensive teams while simultaneously threatening unprepared offensive teams as well. One of the major selling points of this set is its ability to effectively trap and kill Gengar with Pursuit. Gengar's only way to damage Tyranitar usually lies on Giga Drain and Will-O-Wisp, both of which this Tyranitar can brush off. With Gengar down, spinning becomes much easier and is why this set is more effective when paired with a Rapid Spinner.</p>

<p>Fire Blast wears down Skarmory, Forretress, and other Steel-types. With the threat and rising usage of Special Tyranitar, these Pokemon might be weary about staying in on Tyranitar. While this may limit the amount of kills you get with Tyranitar, keeping Spikers at bay is never a bad idea and allows you to more freely spam Rock Slide. Fire Blast may also be your strongest move in general at times. If the accuracy is a concern, Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass allows Tyranitar to take down one of ADV's most heralded Pokemon in Swampert. It pairs up well with Fire Blast, providing a sense of offense vs opposing Tyranitar and other bulky waters. On more offensive teams, Hidden Power Grass Tyranitar is a great way to lure in opposing Swamperts and take them down. Rock Slide is generally more common in the last slot because of Tyranitar's phenomenal Attack and the ability to hit threats like Blissey, Zapdos, and Salamence. However, Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to keep its Special Defense by switching to a Modest nature, while giving it more Special Attack to play with. Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to take on Flygon, Zapdos, and Salamence while also providing a guaranteed OHKO on Dugtrio.</p>

<p>188 HP EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Dugtrio's Earthquake and gives Tyranitar bulk to successfully threaten defensive Pokemon who have decent attack. The Speed EVs outspeed 4 Spe Skarmory, allowing you to Fire Blast before they have a chance to use Spikes. The rest is placed into Special Attack to make sure Tyranitar finishes the job.</p>

---

This one's fine, it should be 3rd on the analysis

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Focus Punch
move 4: Hidden Power Bug
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With massive Attack and a Speed stat hovering just above that of most bulky Water-types, Choice Band Tyranitar is very hard to switch into. The most common Tyranitar counter, Swampert, takes as much as 70% from Focus Punch on the switch. Milotic shouldn't even think about coming in, as it stands a good chance of getting 2HKOed by Rock Slide. Hidden Power Bug is useful in the last moveslot to kill Celebi and heavily weakened Claydol.</p>

<p>As Choice Band Tyranitar can take out its typical counters with sheer power, its standard switch-ins need to be more wary in handling it. Prediction is key both in defeating and using this Tyranitar, as one wrong move could put either player in a bad situation.</p>

<p>The EV spread and nature are straightforward and enable this set to hit as hard and fast as possible. As this Tyranitar punishes switching so heavily with its immense power, Spikes can be a useful asset to your team.</p>

---

This one's fine, it should be last on the analysis:

[SET]
name: Physical SubPunch
move 1: Substitute
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Hidden Power Bug / Hidden Power Grass
nature: Adamant / Brave
evs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a popular Tyranitar set; it is bulky and has the ability to readily switch in and deal huge amounts of damage on the switch. As long as Tyranitar avoids getting hit by status, it can switch in on Blissey and Normal-type moves fairly well. Once safely on the battlefield, choose to either set up a Substitute to ease prediction or Focus Punch right off the bat for immense damage. Using Focus Punch immediately against a foe such as Blissey is a good idea because you won't have to waste Tyranitar's precious HP on a Substitute.</p>

<p>The choice between Hidden Power Bug and Hidden Power Grass depends on what your team has greater issues with. If your team lacks Spikes or a way to threaten bulky Water-types, then Hidden Power Grass is the better option for dealing with Swampert. However, if Swampert is not a problem, Hidden Power Bug eliminates Celebi, who otherwise sets up on Tyranitar.</p>

<p>An Adamant nature boosts Attack without reducing Tyranitar's Speed, but reduces the power of Hidden Power. Brave is quite the opposite, as it reduces Tyranitar's Speed but maintains Hidden Power's strength. Ultimately, the choice comes down to how powerful you need Tyranitar's Hidden Power to be to cover specific opposing Pokemon.</p>

---

removed mention of moves that are on the special set, added boah with an explanation and resttalk

[Other Options]

<p>Curse is usually inferior to Dragon Dance, but such a variant should use a specially defensive EV spread to set up and become a mixed tank. Double-Edge is an option as a fourth move on the Dragon Dance set; it is stronger than STAB Rock Slide and will hit many threats, such as Flygon, Claydol, and Swampert, for heavy damage. Toxic and Thunder Wave are great all-purpose status-inducing moves, but Tyranitar is usually better off attacking; the former is, however, noteworthy for its ability to wear down many of Tyranitar's counters.</p>

<p>Classic sets like Tyraniboah and RestTalk are usable but not very effective in current ADV. Tyraniboah is a Substitute set with special attacks and Focus Punch, working similar to how the current Special set works but focusing more on killing Blissey and opposing Tyranitar. RestTalk gives Tyranitar some livability but doesn't output much damage.

---

some of this stuff didn't make much sense, i removed the already shaky counters from the boah set that was removed anyway and i was a bit nicer to claydol who isn't "dead weight" in adv because of its role as a levitating spinner. Celebi deserves a mention as well.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tyranitar's large movepool makes it difficult to counter effectively. Swampert is the best bet here as it is able to switch in on and scare away all Tyranitar sets barring ones with Hidden Power Grass. Suicune is bulkier, but it has the disadvantage of having Leftovers recovery canceled in a sandstorm.</p>

<p>Flygon can handle the Dragon Dance set, but should watch out for Ice Beam. Claydol is bulkier, but must watch out for Hidden Power Bug. Similarly, Celebi can also threaten Tyranitar out if it lacks Hidden Power Bug. Dugtrio deserves a mention as it can trap Tyranitar, outspeed it even after a Dragon Dance, and swiftly OHKO it. This is a viable strategy to use if your team consists mostly of offensive Pokemon and you don't want to slow down the pace of the game, but be wary that Dugtrio cannot switch into Tyranitar at all.</p>

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i feel like taunt sucks on ddtar in general, it's really outdated and only good for getting through skarm, since the metagame is trending towards cm offense there's not a ton of skarm around anymore so it's more often than not going to be a wasted moveslot. hp bug first slash is fine, but i think you need hp grass as the second slash on the fourth slot on ddtar, it's way higher in usage than taunt and it actually has a purpose. easy 2hko on pert (most common bulky water right now) means you don't have to care about it anymore and pulling off a sweep is a lot easier, especially with duggy support since celebi is now more of a pain to get through. oh, and claydol's still a dick too. but yeah move hp grass up from ac to the second slash on ddtar and drop taunt to ac.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
IMHO Crunch can fit well into the fourth slot for Special Tar, as it finishes off those bulkier Gars who try and stay in and Giga Drain and get their health back. It does circa 65% to (the rare) Clops and beats it. Double STAB Tar is a very efficient all-round Ghost killer, best at making room for Spinners. Also, it can do stuff like come in on Claydol's Spin or Psychic, catch it unaware with Crunch for over half, then Pursuit when it tries to run. You do better vs Celebi without having to rely on FB's shaky accuracy and low PP. It also offers decent neutral coverage on a lot of stuff. It's worth an AC mention, if anything.

i feel like taunt sucks on ddtar in general, it's really outdated and only good for getting through skarm, since the metagame is trending towards cm offense there's not a ton of skarm around anymore so it's more often than not going to be a wasted moveslot. hp bug first slash is fine, but i think you need hp grass as the second slash on the fourth slot on ddtar, it's way higher in usage than taunt and it actually has a purpose. easy 2hko on pert (most common bulky water right now) means you don't have to care about it anymore and pulling off a sweep is a lot easier, especially with duggy support since celebi is now more of a pain to get through. oh, and claydol's still a dick too. but yeah move hp grass up from ac to the second slash on ddtar and drop taunt to ac.
you're underselling taunt imo, there are too many situations vs defensive teams where it comes up for stopping toxic or will o wisp from those defensive mons like weezing dusclops p2 w/e. hp grass is good for one thing - pert - EDIT AND OBV SKARM IS STILL REALLY COMMON, cmon lavos -__-

after a discussion on irc with dekzeh and M Dragon, we've come up with this tyranitar spread (as in we're using m dragons tyranitar spread cuz hes the best). ive added jolly ttar as an AC for the dder as it slipped my mind before

skarm isnt uncommon. taunt isnt just good for skarm. it stops leech seed, toxic, etc.
hp grass is terrible and is literally only good against pert. a dd liechi set with double edge should be listed in the ac. a spread that survives jolly dugtrio eq most of the time is mandatory on dd ttar, imo

I think Roar might be worth a Other Options mention. I have seen it more than once and it has some merits if you want to play a defensive Tar.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
EDIT AND OBV SKARM IS STILL REALLY COMMON, cmon lavos -__-
I MEANT LESS COMMON SORRY

yes i am underselling taunt because i hate it my apologies, every time i taunt their weezing they just sludge bomb

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I think Roar might be worth a Other Options mention. I have seen it more than once and it has some merits if you want to play a defensive Tar.
Agreed. I have played Roartar a lot with Spikes, and Tyranitar is a surprisngly good phazer due to its great switch forcing potential and comparative bulk.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, AC Double-Edge on DDTar set - it's killer. Also explain that Jolly DDTar has some pros, such as being faster than Adamant Dugtrio (rarer now, but still relevant), Timid Gengar, and Starmie.

Also OO mention Toxic, since Tyranitar makes a great lure for Water and Ground-types that wont enjoy Toxic damange (esp Milotic & Suicune). OO mention Thunder, too, it pretty much 2HKOs Milotic and Suicune in sand, meaning that if they get paralyzed on the switch-in, they can no longer switch into Tyranitar.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
IMO cbtar should come before special tar, it's way scarier. Also when I used the Special Set it had Crunch > HP Grass, and it was great for all the stuff Traingles mentioned.

jorgen, set order primarily stems from how used they actually are in the meta. while cb ttar is just as good (if not better), it seemingly isnt used as much as special ttar

with that said, i agree about crunch. i'm not sold on splitting into 2 sets for mixtar and full special ttar. they're primarily the same and i think we can just slash crunch with hp grass or the last slot and mention in the analysis that it can also take a more physical approach

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
You should generally try to list the best sets first regardless of what's used more. You're trying to encourage new players to use the better set.

You should generally try to list the best sets first regardless of what's used more. You're trying to encourage new players to use the better set.
even so, both sets are good and have different great reasons to be used in the metagame. i think it makes more sense to have the more common set first if theyre both about equal in usefulness. a key factor people dont realize about analysis is they arent used solely for the person building - they also give a picture of what they can expect to see from the top pokemon for new users. a new user would be very interested to see special ttar in the 2nd slot more because of the variation from the physical set, it actually being useful and widely used, etc. for some players they use the analysis to get an accurate representation of the metagame (hence why i want the ou -> bl changes) and set listing should help aid this for a metagame like ADV

What about slashing with Pursuit another coverage move like Focus Punch? After all, ADV ttar is not like in GSC, where it is always walled by Suicune and Vaporeon no matter the set so Pursuit is generally the main reason to use it. However, I think with enough spa evs to 3hko Zapdos with Ice Beam, a Focus Punch / Hidden Power Grass / Ice Beam / Fire Blast can be pertty threatening. Perhaps you can find room for Thunder(bolt) as well to deal with non-pert water-types better. I'm no ADV expert though, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt...

I think that Pursuit is mandatory in SpecialTar because his main purpose (apart from causing a huge damage in common switch-ins) is to trap Gengar, or even Dusclops. Imo SpecialTar isn't gonna take advantage of Focus Punch anyway.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should include Double-Edge in the AC of DD set, not in OO.

Please add Thunder for the reason I already mentioned already:
OO mention Thunder, too, it pretty much 2HKOs Milotic and Suicune in sand, meaning that if they get paralyzed on the switch-in, they can no longer switch into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar does NOT learn T-Wave in ADV.

i dont really agree with focus punch for the special set, but if you have to slash it in, dont slash it with pursuit, whose ability to trap gengar is one of the main reasons to use special ttar. crunch and roar are both very good.

btw
these Pokemon might be wary

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Tyranitar is the most powerful Pokemon in the ADV OU metagame. With the ability to both hit from behind bulky Substitutes and sweep with Dragon Dance, it is the one of the toughest non-Uber threats to counter. Sand Stream negates Leftovers recovery for a lot of Pokemon too, which makes Milotic and Suicune less reliable switch-ins. Unlike Salamence, it can even stay in on bulky Water-types if need be to land a finishing blow.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Every ADV OU team must be able to deal with this set, as it is one of the most threatening sweepers in the metagame. Setting up Dragon Dance as soon as you switch in Tyranitar early-game is foolish; it should always test the waters first by attacking before attempting to set up. This allows Tyranitar to weaken the opponent's Swampert or Suicune to the point where it can take them out with a boosted attack the next time it they switches in.</p>

<p>The final moveslot is mainly for additional coverage. Hidden Power Bug beats Celebi and Claydol, two Pokemon who that might may try to counter you. Taunt stops Skarmory and other phazers from roaring you out or healing, allowing Tyranitar to slowly wear them down overtime. When paired with Spikes, Taunting switch-ins like such as Milotic can devastate a team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokemon that can bait out bulky waters are usually the best pairing for Tyranitar. Selfdestruct Snorlax, Explosion Metagross, and even sets like Hidden Power Grass Salamence can wear down Tyranitar's counters to the point that a Tyranitar sweep is inevitable. Magneton can fit on these highly offensive teams as an answer to Skarmory, allowing you to overwhelm the opponent with physical attacks. Packing an entry hazard user is also recommended to wear down walls such as Swampert, which can halt Tyranitar's sweep; Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory can also hit such walls with Toxic on the switch.</p>

<p>The HP EVs and Defense EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Jolly Dugtrio's Choice Band Earthquake. 172 Speed EVs outruns every neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon after a Dragon Dance, and the rest is poured into attack for power. A Jolly Tyranitar with more Speed can be used to beat Adamant Dugtrio and Gengar after a Dragon Dance, but the lack of power is noticeable.</p>

<p>Tyranitar can play the luring role himself by using Ice Beam or Hidden Power Grass in the final slot for Flygon, Claydol, Swampert, and other defensive walls. While this might effectively weaken some of these walls, it also hurts Tyranitar's physical coverage, making it an inferior option.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>STAB Pursuit, a diverse movepool, and the stats to back it up make Tyranitar a premiere wallbreaker in ADV OU. This set abuses Tyranitar's special moves to assist in taking down more defensive teams while simultaneously threatening unprepared offensive teams as well. One of the major selling points of this set is its ability to effectively trap and kill Gengar with Pursuit. Gengar's only way to damage Tyranitar usually lies on Giga Drain and Will-O-Wisp, both of which this Tyranitar can brush off. With Gengar down, spinning becomes much easier and is why this set is more effective when paired with a Rapid Spinner.</p>

<p>Fire Blast wears down Skarmory, Forretress, and other Steel-types. With the threat and rising usage of special Tyranitar, these Pokemon might be weary about staying in on Tyranitar. While this may limit the amount of kills you get with Tyranitar, keeping Spikers at bay is never a bad idea and allows you to more freely spam Rock Slide. Fire Blast may also be your strongest move in general at times. If the accuracy is a concern, Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass allows Tyranitar to take down one of ADV's most heralded Pokemon in Swampert. It pairs up well with Fire Blast, providing a sense of offense versus opposing Tyranitar and other bulky Water-types. On more offensive teams, Hidden Power Grass Tyranitar is a great way to lure in opposing Swamperts and take them down. Rock Slide is generally more common in the last slot because of Tyranitar's phenomenal Attack and the ability to hit threats like such as Blissey, Zapdos, and Salamence. However, Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to keep its Special Defense by switching to a Modest nature, while giving it more Special Attack to play with. Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to take on Flygon, Zapdos, and Salamence while also providing a guaranteed OHKO on Dugtrio.</p>

<p>188 HP EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Dugtrio's Earthquake and gives Tyranitar the bulk to successfully threaten defensive Pokemon who that have decent attack. The Speed EVs outspeed 4 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to Fire Blast before they have a chance to use Spikes. The rest is placed into Special Attack to make sure Tyranitar finishes the job.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With massive Attack and a Speed stat hovering just above that of most bulky Water-types, Choice Band Tyranitar is very hard to switch into. The most common Tyranitar counter, Swampert, takes as much as 70% from Focus Punch on the switch. Milotic shouldn't even think about coming in, as it stands a good chance of getting 2HKOed by Rock Slide. Hidden Power Bug is useful in the last moveslot to kill Celebi and heavily weakened Claydol.</p>

<p>As Choice Band Tyranitar can take out its typical counters with sheer power, its standard switch-ins need to be more wary in handling it. Prediction is key both in defeating and using this Tyranitar, as one wrong move could put either player in a bad situation.</p>

<p>The EV spread and nature are straightforward and enable this set to hit as hard and fast as possible. As this Tyranitar punishes switching so heavily with its immense power, Spikes can be a useful asset to your team.</p> Maybe merge these paragraphs? It will mess up the usual formatting, but having two sentences in one paragraph looks kind of sucky

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a popular Tyranitar set; it is bulky and has the ability to readily switch in and deal huge amounts of damage on the switch. As long as Tyranitar avoids getting hit by status, it can switch in on Blissey and Normal-type moves fairly well. Once safely on the battlefield, choose to either set up a Substitute to ease prediction or Focus Punch right off the bat for immense damage. Using Focus Punch immediately against a foe such as Blissey is a good idea because you won't have to waste Tyranitar's precious HP on a Substitute.</p>

<p>The choice between Hidden Power Bug and Hidden Power Grass depends on what your team has greater issues with. If your team lacks Spikes or a way to threaten bulky Water-types, then Hidden Power Grass is the better option for dealing with Swampert. However, if Swampert is not a problem, Hidden Power Bug eliminates Celebi, which otherwise sets up on Tyranitar.</p>

<p>An Adamant nature boosts Attack without reducing Tyranitar's Speed, but reduces the power impact of Hidden Power Grass. Brave is quite the opposite, as it reduces Tyranitar's Speed but maintains Hidden Power's strength. Ultimately, the choice comes down to how powerful you need Tyranitar's Hidden Power to be to cover specific opposing Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Curse is usually inferior to Dragon Dance, but such a variant should use a specially defensive EV spread to set up and become a mixed tank. Double-Edge is an option as a fourth move on the Dragon Dance set; it is stronger than STAB Rock Slide and will hit many threats, such as Flygon, Claydol, and Swampert, for heavy damage. Toxic and Thunder Wave are great all-purpose status-inducing moves, but Tyranitar is usually better off attacking; the former is, however, noteworthy for its ability to wear down many of Tyranitar's counters.</p>

<p>Classic sets like Tyraniboah and RestTalk are usable but not very effective in current ADV. Tyraniboah is a Substitute set with special attacks and Focus Punch, working similar to how the current special set works but focusing more on killing Blissey and opposing Tyranitar. RestTalk gives Tyranitar some livability but doesn't output much damage.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tyranitar's large movepool makes it difficult to counter effectively. Swampert is the best bet here, (AC) as it is able to switch in on and scare away all Tyranitar sets barring ones with Hidden Power Grass. Suicune is bulkier, but it has the disadvantage of having Leftovers recovery canceled in a sandstorm.</p>

<p>Flygon can handle the Dragon Dance set, but should watch out for Ice Beam. Claydol is bulkier, but must watch out for Hidden Power Bug. Similarly, Celebi can also threaten Tyranitar out if it lacks Hidden Power Bug. Dugtrio deserves a mention, (AC) as it can trap Tyranitar, outspeed it even after a Dragon Dance, and swiftly OHKO it. This is a viable strategy to use if your team consists mostly of offensive Pokemon and you don't want to slow down the pace of the game, but be wary that Dugtrio cannot switch into Tyranitar at all.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

SCMSed also

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Tyranitar is the most powerful Pokemon in the ADV OU metagame. With the ability to both hit from behind bulky Substitutes and sweep with Dragon Dance, it is the one of the toughest threats to counter. Sand Stream negates Leftovers recovery for a lot of Pokemon too, which makes Milotic and Suicune less reliable switch-ins. Unlike Salamence, it can even stay in on bulky Water-types if need be to land a finishing blow.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Every ADV OU team must be able to deal with this setTyranitar, as it is one of the most threatening sweepers in the metagame. Setting up Dragon Dance as soon as you switch in Tyranitar early-game is foolish; it should always test the waters first by attacking before attempting to set up. This allows Tyranitar to weaken the opponent's Swampert or Suicune to the point where Tyranitar can take ithem out with a boosted attack the next time ithey switches in [the issue is that "or" signifies singular but you take it as plural].</p>

<p>The final moveslot is mainly for additional coverage. Hidden Power Bug beahits Celebi and Claydol, two Pokemon that might try to counter youTyranitar. Taunt stops Skarmory and other phazers from roaring youTyranitar out or healing, allowing Tyranitar to slowly wear them down overtime. When paired with Spikes, Taunting switch-ins such as Milotic can devastate a team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokemon that can bait out bulky wWater-types are usually the best to pairing for with Tyranitar. Selfdestruct Snorlax, Explosion Metagross, and even sets like Hidden Power Grass Salamence can wear down Tyranitar's counters to the point that a Tyranitar sweep is inevitable. Magneton can fit on these highly offensive teams as an answer to Skarmory, allowing your Pokemon to overwhelm the opponent with physical attacks. Packing an entry hazard user is also recommended to wear down walls such as Swampert, which can halt Tyranitar's sweep; Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory can also hit such walls with Toxic on the switch.</p>

<p>The HP and Defense EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Jolly Dugtrio's Choice Band Earthquake. 172 Speed EVs outrunsallow Tyranitar to outrun every neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon after a Dragon Dance, and; (semi) the rest isof the EVs are poured into aAttack for power. A Jolly Tyranitar with more Speed can be used to beat Adamant Dugtrio and Gengar after a Dragon Dance, but the lack of power is noticeable.</p>

<p>Tyranitar can play the luring role himself by using Ice Beam or Hidden Power Grass in the final slot for Flygon, Claydol, Swampert, and other defensive walls. While this might effectively weaken some of these walls, it also hurts Tyranitar's physical coverage, making it an inferior option.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>STAB Pursuit, a diverse movepool, and the stats to back it up make Tyranitar a premiere wallbreaker in ADV OU. This set abusutilizes Tyranitar's special moves to assist in taking down more defensive teams while simultaneously threatening unprepared offensive teams as well. One of the major selling points of this set is its ability to effectively trap and kill Gengar with Pursuit. Gengar's only way to damage Tyranitar usually lies oin Giga Drain and Will-O-Wisp, both of which this Tyranitar can brush off. With Gengar down, spinning becomes much easier and, (AC) which is why this set is more effective when paired with a Rapid Spinner.</p>

<p>Fire Blast wears down Skarmory, Forretress, and other Steel-types. With the threat and rising usage of special Tyranitar, these Pokemon might be weary about staying in. While this mayight limit the amount of kills you get with Tyranitar, keeping Spikes users at bay is never a bad idea and allows you to more freelyTyranitar to spam Rock Slide more freely. Fire Blast may also be your strongest move in general at times. If the accuracy is a concern, Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass allows Tyranitar to take down one of ADV's most heralded Pokemon in, (AC) Swampert. It pairs up well with Fire Blast, providing a sense of offense versus opposing Tyranitar and other bulky Water-types. On more offensive teams, Hidden Power Grass is a great way to lure in opposing Swamperts and take them down. Rock Slide is generally more common in the last slot because of Tyranitar's phenomenal Attack and for the ability to hit threats such as Blissey, Zapdos, and Salamence. However, Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to keep its Special Defense intact by switching to a Modest nature,(RC) while giving it more Special Attack to play with. Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to take on Flygon, Zapdos, and Salamence while also providing a guaranteed OHKO on Dugtrio.</p>

<p>188 HP EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Dugtrio's Earthquake and gives Tyranitar the bulk to successfully threaten defensive Pokemon that have decent aAttack. The Speed EVs outspeed 4 Speed Skarmory, allowing youTyranitar to Fire Blast before they have a chance to use Spikes. The rest is placed into Special Attack to make sure Tyranitar finishes the job.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As Choice Band Tyranitar can take out its typical counters with sheer power, Tyranitar's standard switch-ins need to be more wary in handling it. Prediction is key both in defeating and using this Tyranitar, as one wrong move could put either player in a bad situation.</p>

<p>The EV spread and nature are straightforward and enable this set to hit as hard and fast as possible. As this Tyranitar punishes switching so heavily with its immense power, Spikes can be a useful asset to your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Hidden Power Bug and Hidden Power Grass depends on what your team has greater issues with. If your team lacks Spikes or a way to threaten bulky Water-types, then Hidden Power Grass is the better option for dealing with Swampert. However, if Swampert is not a problem, Hidden Power Bug eliminates Celebi, which otherwise sets up on Tyranitar.</p>

<p>An Adamant nature boosts Attack without reducing Tyranitar's Speed,(RC) but reduces the impact of Hidden Power Grass. Brave is quite the opposite, as it reduces Tyranitar's Speed but maintains Hidden Power's strength. Ultimately, the choice comes down to how powerful you need Tyranitar's Hidden Power to be to cover specific opposing Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Curse is usually inferior to Dragon Dance, but if used, (AC) such a Tyranitar variant should use a specially defensive EV spread to set up and become a mixed tank. Double-Edge is an option as a fourth move on the Dragon Dance set; it is stronger than STAB Rock Slide and will hit many threats, such as Flygon, Claydol, and Swampert, for heavy damage. Toxic and Thunder Wave are great all-purpose status-inducing moves, but Tyranitar is usually better off attacking; the former is, however, noteworthy for its ability to wear down many of Tyranitar's counters.</p>

<p>Classic sets like Tyraniboah and RestTalk are usable but not very effective in current ADV. Tyraniboah is a Substitute set with special attacks and Focus Punch, working similar to how the current special set works but focusing more on killing Blissey and opposing Tyranitar. RestTalk gives Tyranitar some livabilongevity but doesn't output much damage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tyranitar's large movepool makes it difficult to counter effectively. Swampert is the best bet here, (AC) as it is able to switch in on and scare away all Tyranitar sets barring ones with Hidden Power Grass. Suicune is bulkier, but has the disadvantage of having Leftovers recovery canceled in a sandstorm.</p>

<p>Flygon can handle the Dragon Dance set, but should watch out for Ice Beam. Claydol is bulkier, but must watch out for Hidden Power Bug. Similarly, Celebi can also threatenforce Tyranitar out if it lacks Hidden Power Bug. Dugtrio deserves a mention, (AC) remove space)as it can trap Tyranitar, outspeed it even after a Dragon Dance, and swiftly OHKO it. This is a viable strategy to use if your team consists mostly of offensive Pokemon and you don't want to slow down the pace of the game, but be wary that Dugtrio cannot switch into Tyranitar at all.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Tyranitar is the most powerful Pokemon in the ADV OU metagame. With the ability to both hit from behind bulky Substitutes and sweep with Dragon Dance, it is the one of the toughest threats to counter. Sand Stream negates Leftovers recovery for a lot of Pokemon too, which makes Milotic and Suicune less reliable switch-ins. Unlike Salamence, it can even stay in on bulky Water-types if need be to land a finishing blow.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Every ADV OU team must be able to deal with this Tyranitar, as it is one of the most threatening sweepers in the metagame. Setting up Dragon Dance as soon as you switch in Tyranitar early-game is foolish; it should always test the waters first by attacking before attempting to set up. This allows Tyranitar to weaken the opponent's Swampert or Suicune to the point where Tyranitar can take it out with a boosted attack the next time it switches in [the issue is that "or" signifies singular but you take it as plural].</p>

<p>The final moveslot is mainly for additional coverage. Hidden Power Bug hits Celebi and Claydol, two Pokemon that might try to counter Tyranitar. Taunt stops Skarmory and other phazers from roaring Tyranitar out or healing, allowing Tyranitar to slowly wear them down overtime. When paired with Spikes, Taunting switch-ins such as Milotic can devastate a team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Pokemon that can bait out bulky Water-types are usually the best to pair with Tyranitar. Selfdestruct Snorlax, Explosion Metagross, and Hidden Power Grass Salamence can wear down Tyranitar's counters to the point that a Tyranitar sweep is inevitable. Magneton can fit on these highly offensive teams as an answer to Skarmory, allowing your Pokemon to overwhelm the opponent with physical attacks. Packing an entry hazard user is also recommended to wear down walls such as Swampert, which can halt Tyranitar's sweep; Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory can also hit such walls with Toxic on the switch.</p>

<p>The HP and Defense EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Jolly Dugtrio's Choice Band Earthquake. 172 Speed EVs allow Tyranitar to outrun every neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon after a Dragon Dance; the rest of the EVs are poured into Attack for power. A Jolly Tyranitar with more Speed can be used to beat Adamant Dugtrio and Gengar after a Dragon Dance, but the lack of power is noticeable.</p>

<p>Tyranitar can play the luring role himself by using Ice Beam or Hidden Power Grass in the final slot for Flygon, Claydol, Swampert, and other defensive walls. While this might weaken some of these walls, it also hurts Tyranitar's physical coverage, making it an inferior option.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>STAB Pursuit, a diverse movepool, and the stats to back it up make Tyranitar a premier wallbreaker in ADV OU. This set utilizes Tyranitar's special moves to assist in taking down more defensive teams while simultaneously threatening unprepared offensive teams. One of the major selling points of this set is its ability to effectively trap and kill Gengar with Pursuit. Gengar's only way to damage Tyranitar usually lies in Giga Drain and Will-O-Wisp, both of which this Tyranitar can brush off. With Gengar down, spinning becomes much easier, which is why this set is more effective when paired with a Rapid Spinner.</p>

<p>Fire Blast wears down Skarmory, Forretress, and other Steel-types. With the threat and rising usage of special Tyranitar, these Pokemon might be wary about staying in. While this might limit the amount of kills you get with Tyranitar, keeping Spikes users at bay is never a bad idea and allows Tyranitar to spam Rock Slide more freely. Fire Blast may also be your strongest move in general at times. If the accuracy is a concern, Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass allows Tyranitar to take down one of ADV's most heralded Pokemon, Swampert. It pairs well with Fire Blast, providing a sense of offense versus opposing Tyranitar and other bulky Water-types. On more offensive teams, Hidden Power Grass is a great way to lure in opposing Swampert and take them down. Rock Slide is generally more common in the last slot because of Tyranitar's phenomenal Attack and for the ability to hit threats such as Blissey, Zapdos, and Salamence. However, Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to keep its Special Defense intact by switching to a Modest nature while giving it more Special Attack to play with. Ice Beam allows Tyranitar to take on Flygon, Zapdos, and Salamence while also providing a guaranteed OHKO on Dugtrio.</p>

<p>188 HP EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Dugtrio's Earthquake and give Tyranitar the bulk to successfully threaten defensive Pokemon that have decent Attack. The Speed EVs outspeed 4 Speed Skarmory, allowing Tyranitar to Fire Blast before they have a chance to use Spikes. The rest is placed into Special Attack to make sure Tyranitar finishes the job.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As Choice Band Tyranitar can take out its typical counters with sheer power, Tyranitar's standard switch-ins need to be more wary in handling it. Prediction is key both in defeating and using this Tyranitar, as one wrong move could put either player in a bad situation.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>An Adamant nature boosts Attack without reducing Tyranitar's Speed but reduces the impact of Hidden Power Grass. Brave is quite the opposite, as it reduces Tyranitar's Speed but maintains Hidden Power's strength. Ultimately, the choice comes down to how powerful you need Tyranitar's Hidden Power to be to cover specific opposing Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Curse is usually inferior to Dragon Dance, but if used, such a Tyranitar variant should use a specially defensive EV spread to set up and become a mixed tank. Double-Edge is an option as a fourth move on the Dragon Dance set; it is stronger than STAB Rock Slide and will hit many threats, such as Flygon, Claydol, and Swampert, for heavy damage. Toxic and Thunder Wave are great all-purpose status-inducing moves, but Tyranitar is usually better off attacking; the former is, however, noteworthy for its ability to wear down many of Tyranitar's counters.</p>

<p>Classic sets like Tyraniboah and RestTalk are usable but not very effective in current ADV. Tyraniboah is a Substitute set with special attacks and Focus Punch, working similar to how the current special set works but focusing more on killing Blissey and opposing Tyranitar. RestTalk gives Tyranitar some longevity but doesn't output much damage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Tyranitar's large movepool makes it difficult to counter effectively. Swampert is the best bet here, as it is able to switch in on and scare away all Tyranitar sets barring ones with Hidden Power Grass. Suicune is bulkier but has the disadvantage of having Leftovers recovery canceled in sand.</p>

<p>Flygon can handle the Dragon Dance set but should watch out for Ice Beam. Claydol is bulkier but must watch out for Hidden Power Bug. Similarly, Celebi can force Tyranitar out if it lacks Hidden Power Bug. Dugtrio deserves a mention, as it can trap Tyranitar, outspeed it even after a Dragon Dance, and swiftly OHKO it. This is a viable strategy to use if your team consists mostly of offensive Pokemon and you don't want to slow down the pace of the game, but be wary that Dugtrio cannot switch into Tyranitar at all.</p>

Just remember to refer to the Pokemon itself as its name, not you. You only refers to the trainer. There might be a couple changes that are slightly more subjective than others, but there were some real mistakes (especially with bulky waters not being bulky Water-types and attack not being Attack). Nice job overall, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)