CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 2

Which Concept for CAP7?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Use the clicky-poll above to vote. Feel free to discuss in the thread.

Concept choices ordered based on the results of the last poll

Concept: Partner in Crime
Description: This Pokemon pairs up well with another, preexisting Pokemon. Similar, in base, to other Pokemon-pairings like "Celetran" or "Gyaravire." This Pokemon can work together to better accomplish one, or even both Pokemons' goals in the pairing.

I think it would be a good learning experience to see how a Pokemon we specifically built to be used with another Pokemon would work in regards to the partnered Pokemon, its effect on the metagame, and how a Pokemon works when it's got something else that can help cover it. We could discuss which Pokemon that this concept would be paired with in Concept Assessment, if it gets that far.
Concept: The Great Tank of China
Description: A tank designed to take hits, and dish a lot of them out as well

This Pokemon is the one me and tennisace are basically dying for. AKA Electric/Dragon tank, attacking and walling (most likely specially biased). It would be like Rhyperior in a sense, except it would be aimed for at the special side of the spectrum. The movepool would be able to hit hard, and could probably assist the team with moves such as Spikes / Stealth Rock, as well as status moves such as T-Wave which is a given.

It would be able to counter Heatran (if we add an ability or something, such as Levitate) and it already completely owns Zapdos for the most part (HP Ice may be the only problem). We can make it this fully adapted to the OU environment countering many threats. We can also make it so that it is more like Rhyperior ability-wise being able to actually counter a lot of threats. The typing is really subjective but Electric / Dragon is currently what I am hoping for. The main idea though is a tank, likely special biased so it isn't a mini-Rhyperior.
Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.

Scouting is an increasingly important role in the Platinum metagame. Moves like U-Turn, Substitute and Protect are highly valued for their ability to give us such vital information as what kind of responses do your opponents have to your sweepers, what hidden moves do they have, and so forth. Getting this information early on allows you to prepare yourself for any threats your opponent has waiting in the wings and come up with a game plan. This Pokemon would probably need resistances to common attacking types, particularly ones backed up by Choice items, as those allow for the best opportunity to U-Turn and reveal a counter. It wouldn't have to have amazing offenses, but enough to scare the opponent into making some revealing switches.
Concept: The Anti Stall
Description: A pokemon through use of movepool, stats, or ability hampers or in some way deters the opponent from using stalling techniques.

Ok, so I thought about it long and hard, and I think this is definitely the concept I want to submit.

Let's think about where exactly we could go with this.
  • We could go scrappy rapid spinner because god knows stall would hate that shit.
  • We could go obscene base stats and grind stall into the dust through sheer power with a choice band and one side of the spectrum
  • We could go mixed attacking.
  • We can go Taunt + Boosting moves
  • We could go "ultimate tricker"
There are tons of ways to accomplish this. And if anyone has played the game atm, the game seems pretty polarized between extreme stall and extreme offense, and in my opinion, stall is winning.

This pokemon doesn't have to, and isn't meant to be the end all be all anti-stall Pokemon. But it should have an answer to some stall threats, and be able to beat them.
Concept: Parasite
Description: An OU viable pokemon who drains HP to win the battle and copy stats.

I want to see a Giga Drain or Drain Punch users, with Technician to make it viable. With Psych Up to equals the foe. Maybe a bulky and slow pokemon who can resist the foe's attacks. Maybe with a lot of resistances.
Concept: Low BST
Description: A pokemon with a low BST that can still rape thanks to his typing, movepool, or ability.

Maybe that's too specific, but maybe an easy-to-use Shedinja or not-as-broken Wobbuffet is what I'm trying to get at: something that doesn't need the sky-high stats to be good. I think this would be a unique idea for a CaP, imo, considering all the others have ~500 or something
Concept: Suicide Hotline
Description:
Something that could easily handle suicide lead strategies like those of Azelf, Aero and anything else that likes to run @focus sash with taunt, SR, filler. To accomplish this, we could give it an ability, typing, or movepool that would shut down or mitigate these leads' attempts to taunt, set up entry hazards, or explode, thereby making the whole suicide strategy less appealing.

Ideally, CAP7 would be specialized to handling suicide leads, so that other lead strategies could once again flourish.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe I speak for everyone when I say:

DIE STALL DIE!

/vote LonelyNess for great justice.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I voted once again for the ultimate scout. It has a much more different approach than the other concepts we've made so far. It should be an interesting learning experience.

Voted Ultimate Scout, information has always been an important to a good pokemon battle, so I am really interested in seeing how a pokemon dedicated to the concept will affect battles.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Backing Partner In Crime, because I think we could learn a lot (and it has the flexibility to back almost any kind of playstyle. Offense, defense, support, etc.) on how combinations work, and how they can benefit the Pokemon being partnered.

Mag, for your concept, wouldn't we need to have another thread to discuss what Pokemon we are going to be helping and partnering up with? Also, will the Pokemon have to be a CAP?

If you've been paying attention, Sikh, you'd know that there is a concept assessment stage where your concerns would be addressed.

Voted for Partner in Crime.
It would be the most benifical to the meatgame because it would proabaly be very helpful in breaking stall. The Anti-Stall pokemon would be too focused on it's goal and would almost never do anything else do to a restricted stall-breaking movepool and/or stats. The parasite idea is just plain stupid because there are much better things the community can do with a CAP. The Suicide Hotline is already acomplished by Weavile (counter/fake out), ice shard, pursuit and taunt). The Ultimate Scout and Great Tank are my second and third options.

Based on the amount of stall I've seen used, I think Anti-Stall is the best way to go, though the Great Tank would've been my second choice.

Voted suicide hotline. The parasite idea seems good, but I'm worried it'll turn into a grass/fighting or bug/fighting and this become compared to breeloom and heracross.

Voted Anti-stall to nicely balance out the CAP metagame.

I still don't understand the point of partner in crime; I don't see what meaningful combination will come from it (by which I mean lasting, I have a feeling it will just end up gyara-vire with a sub-par pokemon at the end of it)
and I doubt anyone would agree on which pokemon to partner it with without a poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)