Generic Offensive Team [UU RMT]

Generic Offensive Team
Well after returning to battling, a bit rusty and with only old teams I decided to start building a few teams and laddering. I decided to build a UU team first since it looked interesting with Pokemon leaving and new Pokemon coming in. The team is basically your run of the mill offense team, it focuses on having a strong offensive core that cover each other and each member tries to pave way for another member to sweep. I've done okay with this team reaching 35th on the Smogon UU Leaderboard with a CRE of 1503 which is pretty good for me. It hasn't been doing as well recently after I got haxed then went on a losing streak so I've decided to retire it and post it up to get some help on it.

At A Glance

Under the Microscope

Uxie @ Leftovers
Nature : Bold
EV : 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Psychic
Stealth Rock
U-Turn
Yawn

Uxie is a great team member for the team providing SR which helps my sweepers net KO's or to make things easier to deal with. He rarely ever dies after setting SR so I always conserve him as he has the ability to switch into many attacks with ease and eases up prediction on my part. Arguably his most useful contribution to the team is to use the Yawn / U-Turn combo which usually forces them to switch out and gives me the upper hand early game.

Absol @ Life Orb
Nature : Jolly
EV : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Sucker Punch
Superpower
Night Slash
Swords Dance

Absol is something I bring out mid-game when I've hopefully eliminated his counters, he requires quite a bit of prediction to pull off his sweep but he has been a major asset to the team weakening the opponent's defensive core and providing priority to help pick off weakened Pokemon. I also rely on this heavily to protect my team against CM Cresseila which really gives me some problems.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Flare Blitz
Extremespeed
Toxic
Morning Sun

Arcanine is a great Pokemon and his main role is to kill off Grass-types which lets Venusaur sweep easier and provide another use of priority. Toxic is also useful for crippling walls like Milotic and Hitmontop. I picked Arcanine mainly because I wanted something with priority as the team is pretty slow overall but also he had a reliable form of recovery to heal off LO recoil. He also lures bulky waters in for Venusaur to come in easily.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Power Whip
Earthquake
Sleep Powder
Swords Dance

Venusaur is definitely one of my most valuable team members simply because it helps keep the pressure on them and as well as being my answer to bulky waters which in general give my team some problems. Venusaur is great because it forces switches by the threat of Sleep Powder and if possible it sometimes dispatches things that stop P-Z (like Registeel.) The moveset is self-explanatory, EQ/Power Whip grant me the best coverage though I have considered Seed Bomb when Power Whip has lost me games but the massive power difference is too much.

Milotic @ Choice Scarf
Nature : Timid
EV : 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power [Grass]
Toxic / Hydro Pump

The most debatable member of my team and I'll take replacements for her. Milotic serves as a fail-safe for my team basically revenging anything that is giving me problems or things I just want gone(NPDoom, Zam). However while it has saved me on numerous occasions it also does tend to give my opponent setup opportunities. I picked Milotic mainly she boasts some resistances which I could use and had somewhat decent bulk.

Porygon-Z @ Salac Berry
Nature : Timid
EV : 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Nasty Plot
Substitute
Dark Pulse
Tri Attack

I see this set on Smogon and I was like "What the heck, why not?", Porygon-Z functions as my late-game sweeper, I bring him out when I've hopefully it's counters(mainly Chansey and Registeel) and hopefully finish off the remaining Pokemon he has or at least weaken all his Pokemon enough for whatever else I have left to clean up. My main problem with it is I really want HP Fighting on it so I can actually touch Rock and Steel types since even stuff like Rhyperior stop him(though +2 Tri Attack does like 90%) but Substitute is too valuable to give up as it protects me from status and priority and Dark Pulse is also really important.

Conclusion
From my experiences using this on the ladder, I've found this team fares decently against most styles of play. I haven't found any major weaks though CM Raikou w/ HP Ice and SubCM Cresseila both are a pain to handle. Hopefully you can help me patch up any weaks or point out something I've missed.​

I'd first like to say that this seems like a well constructed team with few weaknesses as far as I can tell.

As you say, users of the Substitute + Calm Mind strategy will cause the most trouble for your team since Absol has to play mindgames with Sucker Punch while Arcanine won't be doing enough damage to fell foes like Cresselia. I find that such Pokemon pose a threat to your team not only because you lack a definitive strategy against them, but they can set up on your team quite easily. For example, Cresselia can easily set up on Uxie and Milotic (since their attacking stats aren't that great in comparison to Cressy's defenses) and just set up and barrage your team.

There are a few quick and minor changes you can make to your team to help against this weakness. The first is replacing your current Milotic for a Choice Band Azumarill, as found here. Azumarill essentially revenge kills much more effectively than Milotic, granted it hits most special attackers on their lower Defense stat and can nab you more opportunities to switch in if you predict bulky Water switch-ins with Return, etc. Additionally, Azumarill has marginally better Defensive potential than Milotic, as the CB set runs 240 HP while Scarf Milotic runs only 4 HP EVs.

Another thing you may wish to consider is to replace your current Uxie set for the Choice Scarf set, as found here. At the same time, I recommend running Zen Headbutt in the last slot and bumping up your Speed stat to 307 so you outpace base 90s (Porygon-Z). By switching to this set, I think your team will gain more opportunities to set up. Basically, you'll want to keep the Choice Scarf attached to Uxie so you can Trick it on something that either might have set up and poses a threat to your team (Cresselia) or if you feel you can set up on your opponent's Pokemon if it is locked into an attack. I don't feel Yawn will be of too much help to your team, unless you are an expert at double switching (which, for ladder play, might be difficult). As a bonus, Tricking your Choice Scarf onto a component of a stall team will help weaken them down.

Anyways, I hope my rate was of help. Good luck with your team, and don't hesitate to ask if you need any more help.

The Speed EVs needed to outrun base 90's is 216 for Uxie (reaching 308) with 40 EVs leftover (ring a bell? Yes, Gliscor runs the same thing).

Definitely give Uxie the Scarf Uxie set, because you can essentially Trick your Scarf onto SR using leads, set up your own, all while preventing the faster Taunt from Ambipom or Froslass. Uxie, with the Scarf still intact, can use an attack move like Zen Headbutt to kill off something threatening like SD Venusaur if Arcanine is out.

Using Azumarill, I suggest you now use a more defensive set on Venusaur:

Venusaur @ Leftovers - Sassy/Careful
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Spe / 252 SpD
Ability: Overgrow
- Power Whip
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

If using a Sassy (+SpD, -Spe) nature, keep the EVs, if a Careful (+SpD, -SpA) : 240 HP| 4 Atk | 12 Spe | 252 SpD.

Essentially, Venusaur now has both spectrums to attack from, and more of a special bulk to better take the attacks of Rain sweepers (combined with Azumarill, could get you through the match relatively safely).

Now that it comes to mind, you didn't write in any of your Poke's abilities, which is bad being that you are using Absol, Arcanine, and Porygon-Z, all of which have two abilities to choose from. Absol should have Super Luck, Arcanine either Flash Fire or Intimidate (Flash Fire may work better in your case as he is more offensive), and Porygon-Z, because of the set, Adaptability.

On the CB Azumarill set that was suggested, make sure you use something like: Aqua Jet | Double Edge | Ice Punch | Waterfall, which will essentially hit anything you need to hit, while not relying on prediction of a move like Focus Punch. If you feel unhappy about the CB Azumarill, SubPunch Azumarill works quite well too (but beware of Encore).

And at this point, it might be a good idea to change Porygon-Z to a Scarf set, as otherwise he has little oppurtunity to switch in, get both Nasty Plot AND Substitute, and sweep. There are a few requirements to successfully run that, whereas Porygon-Z can effectively be yet another Trick Scarfer, and eliminate troublesome Pokes from the game lacking a priority move easily.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf - Timid
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Download
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Dark Pulse

No STAB here because he is about coverage, not necessarily power (although with a Download boost which brings your SpA to 553, I would say that is enough power to last you).

Well, that wraps up what I have to say, since frankly I can't think of anything else. The only thing I notice is your team is relatively fragile, and I would suggest pairing bulky Pokemon and walls with fragile Pokemon, as otherwise neither are going to get through the game as well. As in, your Arcanine set might need to change to a more defensive one, unless it isn't redundant alongside Absol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)