Jynx (Nasty Plot + Updated Calm Mind)

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

[Overview]

<p>On paper, Jynx may not look like much, as her excellent Speed and fantastic Special Attack stats are overshadowed by mediocre HP and abysmal Defense. However, Jynx's precise offensive movepool, her myriad support options, and her access to a reliable sleep move mean that despite her physical frailty and unfortunate typing, Jynx can be a potent sweeper in the right hands. After shutting down her counters with Lovely Kiss and boosting her Special Attack with Nasty Plot, she can devastate unprepared teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Luna's New Groove (Nasty Plot)
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Lovely Kiss
move 4: Substitute / Psychic / Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
ability: Forewarn
nature: Timid
evs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jynx is one of the few Pokemon who has access to Nasty Plot, and this set takes full advantage of her unique traits in order to secure a sweep. The idea behind the execution of this set is simple: switch Jynx in on a resisted special attack (or after a KO) and set up a Substitute to circumvent Jynx's terrible defenses. As the opponent switches to a counter, Jynx can put it to sleep with Lovely Kiss. With the opponent's primary answer to Jynx incapacitated,she can safely boost her stats from behind a Substitute. The opponent is forced to bring in a less efficient response, at which point Jynx is free to attack and seriously damage it or KO it and attempt a sweep, depending on your opponent's team and your move options. If you chose to forgo Substitute, just start attacking, unless you are fairly certain that you can successfully sweep the remainder of the opponent's team with a Nasty Plot boost. Either way, you will be able to place incredible pressure on your opponent, and he will likely reveal his Choice Scarfers or priority users in order to force Jynx out as quickly as possible. This will be your chance to eliminate or weaken them with Pursuit users and/or lures, ensuring that Jynx's next attempt at a sweep is decisive.</p>

<p>In practice, however, the execution of this strategy may not be so simple. Your opponent may predict your attempt to put Jynx's counter to sleep and double switch to a less important Pokemon or a sleep absorber, preventing you from incapacitating Jynx's main counter. It's even possible that your opponent may have multiple specially bulky resists or enough priority users to ensure Jynx simply cannot sweep. Any well-built team will not immediately lose to a Pokemon with a sleep move and powerful STAB; it is up to Jynx's user to build a team based around removing and weakening her checks, and to play intelligently to avoid wasting Lovely Kiss or needlessly sacrificing Jynx. Otherwise, she will simply not be successful. Give her the necessary support, however, and you will find that she performs in her niche admirably well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for maximum sweeping potential, with 8 EVs placed in HP to attain a Leftovers number. Life Orb may be used if a coverage move is deemed preferable to Substitute in the final slot; note, however, that Substitute makes Jynx much harder to kill and shields her from faster threats like Swellow and Mismagius, so you should only opt for a coverage move if your team does better against offensive teams than it does against stall teams. Psychic offers better neutral coverage than Ice Beam, but it is not recommended as the mono-attack on this set, as Dark-types will completely wall Jynx. Given that Pokemon like Spiritomb, Houndoom, and Skuntank frequently carry Pursuit, using Psychic as the only attack will ensure that Jynx accomplishes nearly nothing against any team with those Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Luna (Substitute + Calm Mind)
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Lovely Kiss
item: Leftovers
ability: Forewarn
nature: Timid
evs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the Nasty Plot set emphasizes plowing through the opposing team with powerful boosted attacks, this Jynx takes a much more defensive approach towards sweeping. This set takes advantage of the fact that many of the Nasty Plot set's counters are specially-oriented Water-types, and aims to easily set up on them. The given EVs make Jynx very specially bulky; Pokemon like Milotic and Lanturn cannot break Jynx's Substitutes with their neutral STABs after a Calm Mind boost, and even Pokemon like Weezing cannot break Jynx's Substitutes with Flamethrower after two Calm Minds. Jynx can even survive monstrously powerful special assaults, like Life Orb Moltres's Fire Blast, after a couple of boosts. If, upon realizing this, the opponent switches to a physically-oriented counter, Jynx can simply put it to sleep and continue boosting.</p>

<p>This set is very frustrating for frailer offensive teams and balanced teams to face, as they often don't have more than one Pokemon who can both survive Jynx's assaults and prevent her from setting up; they can no longer merely use a bulky Water-type or a specially-oriented Choice Scarf user to force this Jynx out. However, bulky offense teams have a significantly easier time with this set, as the entire idea behind bulky offense is to have Pokemon who can both take a hit and hit back hard. Against these teams, it is recommended to preserve Jynx as a late-game sweeper for when the opponent's Ice-type resists are either weakened or gone.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow for significant special bulk while still enabling Jynx to Speed tie and often outrun threatening Pokemon such as Arcanine, Drapion, and Houndoom. While the relative lack of Special Attack EVs may make Jynx appear "weak", do not be fooled; even with minor investment, Jynx's Special Attack is nearly as high as maximum SpA Timid Rotom, and will definitely hurt most neutral targets after a boost or two. If more power is desired, a spread of 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe may be used, but this is not recommended due to the significantly higher amount of damage Jynx will take from special assaults. Moreover, if this Jynx does not meet the user's offensive requirements, the Nasty Plot set should probably be used instead.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]

<p>Jynx loves entry hazard support, particularly Spikes, as the threat of Lovely Kiss frequently forces switches. Omastar and Qwilfish can provide Spikes, and both of them have decent defensive synergy with Jynx; Omastar can even set up Stealth Rock, further increasing the residual damage inflicted on the opposing team. The Substitute + Calm Mind set also really appreciates Rapid Spin support, as entry hazards really limit its ability to come in multiple times. Hitmontop is probably the best Rapid Spinner to pair with Jynx due to their bulk and typing complementing each other fairly well.</p>

<p>Jynx has a large number of common weaknesses and only two resistances, so it is difficult to find Pokemon who have truly effective defensive synergy with her. Therefore, Jynx's best partners are Pokemon who pose an offensive threat to Jynx's checks and counters while covering common attacks directed at her. Toxicroak and Houndoom form a fantastic offensive trio with Jynx, as between their combined STAB attacks, they can power through the entire tier. Toxicroak can soak up Water- and Rock-type attacks directed at Jynx, while Houndoom loves coming in on Dark-, Bug-, and Fire-type attacks. Although all three Pokemon are fairly frail, their resistances and immunities let them switch in on a surprising variety of attacks. Rhyperior's prodigious physical Defense allows her to tank ExtremeSpeed and Shadow Sneak from the likes of Arcanine and Spiritomb. Rhyperior can also lure in and weaken bulky Waters like Slowking and Blastoise, possibly aiding Jynx later on.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Jynx can function somewhat well with a Choice item due to her high Speed and Special Attack. Choice sets should primarily use four of the following moves: Ice Beam, Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Lovely Kiss, and Trick. However, Jynx's relative frailty, Stealth Rock weakness, and vulnerability to the common Pursuit hinder a Choice set's effectiveness.</p>

<p>Grass Knot can be used as an offensive option over Psychic or Focus Blast in order to hit Milotic and Slowking harder. However, both Psychic and Focus Blast will offer much better general utility.</p>

<p>Jynx is the second fastest Pokemon with a reliable sleep move in UU; as such, she can make a useful anti-lead. A lead Jynx should be holding Focus Sash and have Lovely Kiss, with the other moves depending primarily on the kind of leads the player does not mind losing to. Shadow Ball is necessary for a good chance of KOing Mesprit, Uxie, and Alakazam before they wake up, while Grass Knot guarantees KOs on Omastar, Kabutops, and Rhyperior. Protect allows Jynx to beat Ambipom leads and is useful for scouting Trick, while Ice Beam and Psychic are hard-hitting STAB moves. Counter is an interesting option, but better left to Alakazam. Be very careful against leads suspected of carrying a Focus Sash or a Lum Berry, increasingly common items. This Jynx is best used on teams that appreciate the lack of early-game entry hazards and can set up on leads whom Jynx typically loses to (such as Spiritomb).</p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>The counters who give Jynx the most trouble are Haze Milotic, RestTalk Registeel, and specially defensive Spiritomb. Milotic is only 2HKOed by +6 Jynx, which is a difficult task since it requires Milotic to be asleep for 4 turns. Note, however, that if Jynx has forgone Substitute for Psychic, Milotic becomes much more manageable and ceases to be a counter. A similar situation applies for Registeel; Registeel can KO Jynx with Iron Head at any time, and only loses if Jynx can lock it down long enough with Lovely Kiss that Registeel cannot recover with Rest before Jynx eliminates it, or if Jynx chooses to run Focus Blast in her final slot. Specially defensive Spiritomb can survive even +4 Ice Beam, while taking Jynx out of the game with Pursuit or Shadow Sneak. Unlike Registeel and Milotic, Spiritomb beats Jynx regardless of her moveset. Chansey also handily stalls out Jynx, but only if Sleep Clause is active; if not, Jynx will merely put Chansey to sleep and use her as set-up fodder . Due to Natural Cure, Chansey will cause Sleep Clause to deactivate if she switches out. Some less common counters include Thick Fat Hariyama, Thick Fat Grumpig, Walrein, Lapras, Lanturn, and Slowking. Note again that all of these counters are only counters if Sleep Clause is activated; otherwise, they don't have much chance of beating Jynx one-on-one.</p>

Okay, write-up is done. I know conciseness is the in-thing in C&C these days, so I was very brief on a lot of points. If there's something that anyone would like me to describe in greater detail, I'll do that. Grammar check on this is appreciated, because it's past midnight and yeah.

Nitpick one: your titles...seriously stop with the Luna bs. I renamed them for you :)

Nitpick two: for the NP set, I would never be bothered by a Jynx without Substitute. It makes switching in literally impossible and stupid aaaaaaa. So yea, no slashes imo.

edit: also I enjoy calculus

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I'm here to second Heysup's comment. Substitute is Jynx's most important move on the set, and without it, Jynx would just die to physical attacks, like Technitop's Mach Punch.

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What? Why would you rename it :| The old set was called "Luna" and the Tangrowth analysis is named after some random troll on NetBattle for fuck's sake, I think my set names are fine and they make me happy so nyeah.
Anyway...substitute is mostly only useful against offensive teams. Against stall, if you put a milotic to sleep, boost up, and run into a registeel/lanturn/thick fat hariyama or whatever, Focus Blast or Psychic would be much more valuable. You won't ever see me say anything bad about Substitute, but in this case the slashes really do depend on the kind of team you have issues with...although I'll remove them if other QC folks want me to.

I guess you have a point, the slashes are fine.

And no we are not calling it Luna. If you say "Mojonbo", people will know that you're talking about Tangrowth (though it's also a stupid ass name). Same with EspyJump - people are already familiar. If you say Luna, people will have no clue unless they have a) recently read this thread, b) are familiar with the name way back from RBY. We've been over naming sets previously, and for consistency's sake I'd rather not continue naming this Jynx set "Luna".

Anyway,

FlareBlitz

It just seems sad that we've lost our long, proud tradition of naming things after awesome in-jokes. Oh well.

If those are all the changes that need to be made, I'll add my own Koffing to this. If someone else can test/approve this I can get started on the write-up.

FlareBlitz

Edited the OP with my write-up. I'd like some input on whether I need to add/change anything first, and some preliminary grammar checks would be nice too.

Ive been testing the sub mind set alot lately and i must say im very impressed, man Jynx is really underrated.

For team mates ive been using a Mix Eggy (the Life Orb one with Low Kick/Psychic/Synthesis/Leaf Storm) and it makes a great partner as it has the ability to lure in and deal heavy damage to Chansey AND Registeel AND Fire types amongst various others to weaken them for Jynx. Jynx can also sleep all the common checks and counters it shares with Exeggutor (Fires and the aforementioned pokes). Exeggutor can also check Azumarril and Milotic (Haze..) etc repeatedly, both of which cause issues for Jynx.

Also i feel Rapid Spin should get a mention, it really extends Jynx life and makes her much harder to deal with without SR stripping away 25% of her health each time. Hitmontop is a good choice due to its resistance to rock, dark, bug and "guaranteed spin" curtsey of Foresight.

Lastly, Spikes work wonders for the NPer i find too as most of its counters and checks are grounded and it really wears them down. Jynx also causes a crap load of switches (the threat of Lovely Kiss alone does that) so it really appreciates them.

Other than that it looks good. ^^

FlareBlitz

I'll mention Rapid Spin and Spikes and offensive grass type Pokemon in the teammates section. Thanks for the feedback. Edit: All right this should be good as far as content goes. Ready for GP checks.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Luna's new groove, haha priceless! Uh right, I just have one slight nitpick. What's psychic doing over Focus Blast? I'd imagine the ability to shut down Registeel and other bulky steels post haste is quite useful earlier on. (when sleep clause is in effect too)

I don't even see what Psychic does over Focus Blast, except for hitting fire types for neutral, and even then the 2 most prominent fire types: (Moltres and Houndoom) are hit harder by Ice Beam anyway. Psychic should get the last slash, at the very least.

FlareBlitz

Psychic is better against Thick Fat Hariyama, specially defensive Hitmontop, and it is more reliable against bulky waters. If you sleep Registeel those are basically the only things on a stall team that can stop you. Focus Blast is for if you find it more likely that you will sleep Milotic. Also, this is ready for grammar checking.

[Overview]

<p>On paper, Jynx may not look like much. Her excellent speed and fantastic special attack stats are overshadowed by her mediocre HP and abysmal Defense stats. However, Jynx's precise offensive movepool, her complement of support options, and her access to a reliable sleep move mean that despite her relative physical frailty and unfortunate typing, Jynx can be a potent sweeper in the right hands.</p>

Name: Luna's New Groove (Nasty Plot)
Move 1: Ice Beam
Move 2: Nasty Plot
Move 3: Lovely Kiss
Move 4: Substitute/Psychic/Focus Blast
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Forewarn
Nature: Timid
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jynx is one of the select few Pokemon who have access to Nasty Plot, and this set takes full advantage of Jynx's unique traits in order to secure a sweep. The idea behind the execution of this set is simple in theory: switch in on a resisted special attack or after a kill, set up a Substitute to circumvent Jynx's terrible defenses as the opponent switches to a counter (or merely attack or start boosting if you chose to forgo Substitute), and put it to sleep if it threatens Jynx. With the opponent's primary answer to Jynx incapacitated, you are free to boost your stats behind the safety of a substitute as they switch in a less efficient response, at which point you many either damage it or kill it and outright sweep, depending on your opponent's team and your move options. Either way, you will be able to place incredible pressure on your opponent, and they will likely reveal their scarfers or priority users in order to force Jynx out as quickly as possible. This will be your chance to eliminate or weaken them with pursuit users and/or lures, ensuring that Jynx's next attempt at a sweep is decisive.</p>

<p>In practice, however, the execution of this strategy may not be so simple. Your opponent may predict your attempt to put Jynx's counter to sleep and double switch to a less important Pokemon or a sleep absorber, preventing you from incapacitating Jynx's main counter. It's even possible that your opponent may have multiple specially bulky resists or enough priority users that Jynx simply cannot immediately sweep. Any well built team will not immediately lose to a Pokemon with a sleep move and powerful STAB; it is up to Jynx's user to build a team based around removing and weakening her checks, and to play intelligently to avoid wasting the sleep or needlessly sacrificing Jynx. Otherwise, she will simply not be successful. Give her the necessary support, however, and you will find that she performs in her niche admirably well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for maximum sweeping potential, with the 8 HP EVs attaining a Leftovers number. Life Orb may be used if a coverage move is deemed preferable to Substitute in the final slot; note, however, that Substitute makes Jynx much harder to kill and shields her from faster threats like Swellow and Mismagius, so you should only opt for a coverage move if your team does better against Offense than it does against Stall. Note that while Psychic offers better neutral coverage than Ice Beam, it is not recommended as the mono-attack in this set, as Dark types will completely wall Jynx. Given that Pokemon like Spiritomb, Houndoom, and Skunktank frequently carry Pursuit, using Psychic as the only attack will ensure that Jynx accomplishes nearly nothing against any team with those Pokemon.</p>

Name: Luna (Substitute + Calm Mind)
Move 2: Calm Mind
Move 3: Substitute
Move 4: Lovely Kiss
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Where the Nasty Plot set emphasizes on plowing through the opposing team with powerful boosted attacks, this Jynx takes a much more defensive approach. This set takes advantage of the fact that many of the Nasty Plot set's counters are specially oriented bulky waters, and aims to easily set up on them. The given EVs make Jynx very specially bulky; Pokemon like Milotic and Lanturn cannot break Jynx's substitutes with their neutral STABs after a Calm Mind boost, and even Pokemon like Weezing cannot break Jynx's substitutes with Flamethrower after two Calm Minds. Jynx can even survive monstrously powerful special assaults, like Life Orb Moltres' Fire Blast, after a couple of boosts. If, on realizing this, the opponent switches to a physical oriented counter, Jynx can simply put it to sleep and continue boosting.</p>

<p>This set is very frustrating for frailer offensive teams and balanced teams to face, as they often don't have more than one Pokemon who can both survive Jynx's assaults and prevent it from setting up; they cannot merely use a bulky water or a specially oriented scarfer to force this Jynx out. However, bulky offense teams have a significantly easier time with this set, as the entire idea behind bulky offense is to have Pokemon who can both take a hit and hit back hard. Against these teams, it is recommended to preserve Jynx as an endgame sweeper, when the opponent's Ice resists are all weakened or gone.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for significant special bulk while still enabling Jynx to speed tie, and often beat, threatening Pokemon such as Arcanine, Drapion, and Houndoom. While the relative lack of Special Attack EVs may make Jynx appear "weak", do not be fooled; even with minor investment, Jynx's Special Attack is nearly as high as a Timid Rotom's is with maximum investment, and will definitely hurt most neutral targets after a boost or two. If more power is desired, a spread of 8 HP/248 SATK/252 SPE may be used, but this is not recommended due to the significantly higher amount of damage Jynx will take from special assaults; simply put, if this Jynx does not meet the user's offensive requirements, the Nasty Plot set should probably be used.</p>

[TEAMMATES AND COUNTERS]
<p>The counters that give Jynx the most trouble are Haze Milotic, RestTalk Registeel, and specially defensive Spiritomb. Milotic is only 2 hit KO'd by Jynx when it is at +6, a difficult task since this requires Milotic to be asleep for 4 turns. Note, however, that if Jynx has forgone Substitute for Psychic, Milotic becomes much more manageable and ceases to be a counter. The same situation applies for Registeel; Registeel can KO Jynx with Iron Head at any time, and only loses if Jynx can lock it down long enough with Lovely Kiss that Registeel cannot recover with Rest before Jynx eliminates it, or if Jynx chooses to run Focus Blast in its final slot. Specially defensive Spiritomb can survive even a +4 Ice Beam, while taking Jynx out of the game with Pursuit or Shadow Sneak. And unlike Registeel and Milotic, Spiritomb beats Jynx regardless of its moveslot choices ( change to just "moveset"). Chansey also handily stalls out Jynx, but only if sleep clause is active; if not, Jynx will merely put Chansey to sleep and use it for free setup. Due to Natural Cure, Chansey will cause Sleep Clause to deactivate if it switches out. Some less common counters include Thick Fat Hariyama, Thick Fat Grumpig, Walrein, Lapras, Lanturn, and Slowking. Note again that all of these counters are only counters if sleep clause is active; otherwise they don't have much chance of beating Jynx one on one.</p>

<p>Jynx loves hazard support, particularly spikes, due to the threat of Lovely Kiss forcing many switches. Omastar and Qwilfish can provide Spikes, and both of them have decent defensive synergy with Jynx. The Substitute + Calm Mind set also really appreciates rapid spin support, as this lets it use its significant special bulk to come in multiple times on weaker special attackers. Hitmontop is probably the best rapid spinner to pair with Jynx, due their bulkiness and typing complimenting each other fairly well.</p>

<p>Jynx has a large number of common weaknesses and only two resists, so it is difficult to find Pokemon that have truly effective defensive synergy with her. Therefore, Jynx's best partners are Pokemon who pose an offensive threat to those Pokemon that can force Jynx out while covering common attacks directed at her. Toxicroak and Houdoom form a fantastic offensive trio with Jynx, as between their STAB attacks they power through the entire tier. Toxicroak can soak up Water and Rock attacks directed at Jynx, while Houndoom loves coming in on Dark, Bug, and Fire attacks. Although all three Pokemon are fairly frail, their resistances and immunities give them a surprising amount of bulk. Rhyperior's prodigious physical defense allows it to tank Extremespeed and Shadow Sneak from the likes of Arcanine and Spiritomb. Rhyperior can also lure in and weaken bulky waters like Slowking and Blastoise, possibly aiding Jynx later on.</p>

Okay, write-up is done. I know conciseness is the in-thing in C&C these days, so I was very brief on a lot of points. If there's something that anyone would like me to describe in greater detail, I'll do that. Grammar check on this is appreciated, because it's past midnight and yeah.

blue is add or change
red is remove

FlareBlitz

Thank you. I have made most of your changes ("emphasizes on" doesn't really make sense, so I left that one out).

actually, "can survive even a +4 Ice Beam" is not worded right, it should actually be " can survive a +4 Ice Beam

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I approve of the new set name, bit of personality while conveying the nature of the set.

And a very quick check:

(just quoting bits where I found things to change, bold=changed)

Given that Pokemon like Spiritomb, Houndoom and Skuntank frequently carry Pursuit

If more power is desired, a spread of 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe may be used

<p>Jynx has a large number of common weaknesses and only two resists, so it is difficult to find Pokemon that have truly effective defensive synergy with her. Therefore, Jynx's best partners are Pokemon who pose an offensive threat to those Pokemon that can force Jynx out while covering common attacks directed at her. Toxicroak and Houndoom form a fantastic offensive trio with Jynx, as between their STAB attacks they power through the entire tier. Toxicroak can soak up Water and Rock attacks directed at Jynx, while Houndoom loves coming in on Dark, Bug, and Fire attacks. Although all three Pokemon are fairly frail, their resistances and immunities give them a surprising amount of bulk. Rhyperior's prodigious physical defense allows it to tank ExtremeSpeed and Shadow Sneak from the likes of Arcanine and Spiritomb. Rhyperior can also lure in and weaken bulky waters like Slowking and Blastoise, possibly aiding Jynx later on.</p>

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>On paper, Jynx may not look like much. Her excellent Speed speed and fantastic Special Attack special attack stats are overshadowed by mediocre HP and abysmal Defense stats. However, Jynx's precise offensive movepool, her complement of support options, and her access to a reliable sleep move mean that despite her relative physical frailty and unfortunate typing, Jynx can be a potent sweeper in the right hands.</p> [A little short. Maybe expand on that last sentence.]

Move 4: Substitute/Psychic/Focus Blast

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jynx is one of the few Pokemon who have access to Nasty Plot, and this set takes full advantage of Jynx's unique traits in order to secure a sweep. The idea behind the execution of this set is simple in theory: switch in on a resisted special attack or after a kill, set up a Substitute to circumvent Jynx's terrible defenses as the opponent switches to a counter (or merely start attacking attack or start boosting if you chose to forgo Substitute), and put it to sleep if it threatens Jynx. With the opponent's primary answer to Jynx incapacitated, you are free to boost your stats behind the safety of a substitute as they switch in a less efficient response, at which point you many either damage it or kill it and outright sweep, depending on your opponent's team and your move options. Either way, you will be able to place incredible pressure on your opponent, and they will likely reveal their scarfers or priority users in order to force Jynx out as quickly as possible. This will be your chance to eliminate or weaken them with pursuit users and/or lures, ensuring that Jynx's next attempt at a sweep is decisive.</p>

<p>In practice, however, the execution of this strategy may not be so simple. Your opponent may predict your attempt to put Jynx's counter to sleep and double switch to a less important Pokemon or a sleep absorber, preventing you from incapacitating Jynx's main counter. It's even possible that your opponent may have multiple specially bulky resists or enough priority users that Jynx simply cannot immediately sweep. Any well built team will not immediately lose to a Pokemon with a sleep move and powerful STAB; it is up to Jynx's user to build a team based around removing and weakening her checks, and to play intelligently to avoid wasting the sleep or needlessly sacrificing Jynx. Otherwise, she will simply not be successful. Give her the necessary support, however, and you will find that she performs in her niche admirably well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for maximum sweeping potential, while still keeping 8 HP EVs in reserve to attain a Leftovers number. with the 8 HP EVs attaining a Leftovers number. Life Orb may be used if a coverage move is deemed preferable to Substitute in the final slot; note, however, that Substitute makes Jynx much harder to kill and shields her from faster threats like Swellow and Mismagius, so you should only opt for a coverage move if your team does better against Offense than it does against Stall. Note that while Psychic offers better neutral coverage than Ice Beam, but it is still not recommended as the mono-attack in this set, as Dark-types Dark types will completely wall Jynx. Given that Pokemon like Spiritomb, Houndoom and Skunktank frequently carry Pursuit, using Psychic as the only attack will ensure that Jynx accomplishes nearly nothing against any team with those Pokemon.</p>​

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Where the Nasty Plot set emphasizes plowing through the opposing team with powerful boosted attacks, this Jynx takes a much more defensive approach. This set takes advantage of the fact that many of the Nasty Plot set's counters are specially oriented bulky Water-types, waters, and aims to easily set up on them. The given EVs make Jynx very specially bulky; Pokemon like Milotic and Lanturn cannot break Jynx's substitutes with their neutral STABs after a Calm Mind boost, and even Pokemon like Weezing cannot break Jynx's substitutes with Flamethrower after two Calm Minds. Jynx can even survive monstrously powerful special assaults, like Life Orb Moltres' Fire Blast, after a couple of boosts. If, on realizing this, the opponent switches to a physical oriented counter, Jynx can simply put it to sleep and continue boosting.</p>

<p>This set is very frustrating for frailer offensive teams and balanced teams to face, as they often don't have more than one Pokemon who can both survive Jynx's assaults and prevent it from setting up; they cannot merely use a bulky Water-type water or a specially oriented scarfer to force this Jynx out. However, bulky offense teams have a significantly easier time with this set, as the entire idea behind bulky offense is to have Pokemon who can both take a hit and hit back hard. Against these teams, it is recommended to preserve Jynx as an endgame sweeper, when the opponent's Ice-type resists are all weakened or gone.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for significant special bulk while still enabling Jynx to speed tie, and often beat, threatening Pokemon such as Arcanine, Drapion, and Houndoom. While the relative lack of Special Attack EVs may make Jynx appear "weak", do not be fooled; even with minor investment, Jynx's Special Attack is nearly as high as a Timid Rotom's is with maximum investment, and will definitely hurt most neutral targets after a boost or two. If more power is desired, a spread of 8 HP/248 SATK/252 SPE may be used, but this is not recommended due to the significantly higher amount of damage Jynx will take from special assaults. ; simply put, Moreover, if this Jynx does not meet the user's offensive requirements, the Nasty Plot set should probably be used.</p>

[You used the wrong format for this; it should be Team Options, Optional Changes, Counters... I'll see what I can do though.]

[Team Options]
[TEAMMATES AND COUNTERS]
<p>The counters that give Jynx the most trouble are Haze Milotic, RestTalk Registeel, and specially defensive Spiritomb. Milotic is only 2 hit KO'd by Jynx when it is at +6, a difficult task since this requires Milotic to be asleep for 4 turns. Note, however, that if Jynx has forgone Substitute for Psychic, Milotic becomes much more manageable and ceases to be a counter. The same situation applies for Registeel; Registeel can KO Jynx with Iron Head at any time, and only loses if Jynx can lock it down long enough with Lovely Kiss that Registeel cannot recover with Rest before Jynx eliminates it, or if Jynx chooses to run Focus Blast in its final slot. Specially defensive Spiritomb can survive even +4 Ice Beam, while taking Jynx out of the game with Pursuit or Shadow Sneak. And unlike Registeel and Milotic, Spiritomb beats Jynx regardless of its moveset. Chansey also handily stalls out Jynx, but only if sleep clause is active; if not, Jynx will merely put Chansey to sleep and use it for free setup. Due to Natural Cure, Chansey will cause Sleep Clause to deactivate if it switches out. Some less common counters include Thick Fat Hariyama, Thick Fat Grumpig, Walrein, Lapras, Lanturn, and Slowking. Note again that all of these counters are only counters if sleep clause is active; otherwise they don't have much chance of beating Jynx one on one.</p>

<p>Jynx loves entry hazard support, particularly Spikes spikes, due to the threat of Lovely Kiss forcing many switches. Omastar and Qwilfish can provide Spikes, and both of them have decent defensive synergy with Jynx. The Substitute + Calm Mind set also really appreciates Rapid Spin rapid spin support, as this lets it use its significant special bulk to come in multiple times on weaker special attackers. Hitmontop is probably the best rapid spinner to pair with Jynx, due their bulkiness and typing complimenting each other fairly well.</p>

<p>Jynx has a large number of common weaknesses and only two resists, so it is difficult to find Pokemon that have truly effective defensive synergy with her. Therefore, Jynx's best partners are Pokemon who pose an offensive threat to those Pokemon that can force Jynx out while covering common attacks directed at her. Toxicroak and Houndoom Houdoom form a fantastic offensive trio with Jynx, as between their STAB attacks they power through the entire tier. Toxicroak can soak up Water- and Rock-type attacks directed at Jynx, while Houndoom loves coming in on Dark-, Bug-, and Fire-type attacks. Although all three Pokemon are fairly frail, their resistances and immunities give them a surprising amount of bulk. Rhyperior's prodigious physical defense allows it to tank ExtremeSpeed Extremespeed and Shadow Sneak from the likes of Arcanine and Spiritomb. Rhyperior can also lure in and weaken bulky waters like Slowking and Blastoise, possibly aiding Jynx later on.</p>

[Optional Changes]
This will need to be written. Please include different moves, items, etc.

[Counters]
<p>The counters that give Jynx the most trouble are Haze Milotic, RestTalk Registeel, and specially defensive Spiritomb. Milotic is only 2HKOed 2 hit KO'd by Jynx when it is at +6, a difficult task since this requires Milotic to be asleep for 4 turns. Note, however, that if Jynx has forgone Substitute for Psychic, Milotic becomes much more manageable and ceases to be a counter. The same situation applies for Registeel; Registeel can KO Jynx with Iron Head at any time, and only loses if Jynx can lock it down long enough with Lovely Kiss that Registeel cannot recover with Rest before Jynx eliminates it, or if Jynx chooses to run Focus Blast in its final slot.</p>

<p>Specially defensive Spiritomb can survive even +4 Ice Beam, while taking Jynx out of the game with Pursuit or Shadow Sneak. And unlike Registeel and Milotic, Spiritomb beats Jynx regardless of its moveset. Chansey also handily stalls out Jynx, but only if sleep clause is activated active; if not, Jynx will merely put Chansey to sleep and use it for free setup. Due to Natural Cure, Chansey will cause Sleep Clause to deactivate if it switches out. Some less common counters include Thick Fat Hariyama, Thick Fat Grumpig, Walrein, Lapras, Lanturn, and Slowking. Note again that all of these counters are only counters if sleep clause is activated active; otherwise they don't have much chance of beating Jynx one on one.</p> [IMO, that last list should be removed. Most often, Jynx will sleep something it can set up on, and since those are listed as counters, those will probably be immediate switchins, if you see what I am saying.]

Additions in Blue, Deletions in Red
Sorry, but I have to hold my stamp until you go ahead and write and OC section.

FlareBlitz

Thanks EE :) I'll implement your changes.

And thank you very much Dr. Reid, I didn't know I had written this in the wrong format. I'll implement your changes and write the OC section tonight.

What about a Choice set? Specifically, a Choice Scarf set is pretty viable I think. Something like

Jynx@ Choice Scarf
Modest/ Timid
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
-Lovely Kiss
-Ice Beam
-Trick
-Focus Blast/ Psychic

Should work well. A fast sleep is always useful (especially as a lead, which is usually what this set is used as), and only really Venusaur challenges it there. Unlike Venusaur though, it can Trick off the Scarf onto a Milotic or something (not hard once they realize you're Choiced and go to absorb Ice Beam). And STAB Ice is pretty good for revenge killing (Torterra, Rhyperior, Altaria, all outsped at +2/1).

FlareBlitz

Pretty much every change mentioned so far has been updated in the OP (except for your last change towards the very end Dr.Reid, I wasn't sure what you meant by "the last list").

I've mentioned Choice Jynx in OC (imo the stealth rock weakness and the complete lack of bulk makes it a mediocre choicer) and also Lead Jynx (which I might test and write up a set for later, it seems promising) along with a few other things.

If there's anything else please let me know!

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
To be honest, I would hardly consider Lovely Kiss's 75% accuracy "reliabe", so I might consider re-evaluating calling it that if I were you. Just sayin'

EDIT: yeah that makes sense. I guess it's just cause it's so unreliable for me

pink for grammar edits
blue for prose/content edits

[Overview]

<p>On paper, Jynx may not look like much, as her excellent Speed and fantastic Special Attack stats are overshadowed by mediocre HP and abysmal Defense stats. However, Jynx's precise offensive movepool, her myriad of support options, and her access to a reliable sleep move mean that despite her relative physical frailty and unfortunate typing, Jynx can be a potent sweeper in the right hands. After shutting down her counters with Lovely Kiss and boosting her Special Attack, she can devastate unprepared teams.</p>

Move 4: Substitute / Psychic / Focus Blast

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jynx is one of the few Pokemon who have access to Nasty Plot, and this set takes full advantage of Jynx's unique traits in order to secure a sweep. The idea behind the execution of this set is simple in theory: switch in on a resisted special attack or after a KO, set up a Substitute to circumvent Jynx's terrible defenses as the opponent switches to a counter (or merely start attacking if you chose to forgo Substitute), and put it to sleep if it threatens Jynx. With the opponent's primary answer to Jynx incapacitated, you are free to boost your stats behind the safety of a Substitute as they switch in a less efficient response, at which point you many either damage it or KO it and outright sweep, depending on your opponent's team and your move options. Either way, you will be able to place incredible pressure on your opponent, and they will likely reveal their Scarfers or priority users in order to force Jynx out as quickly as possible. This will be your chance to eliminate or weaken them with Pursuit users and/or lures, ensuring that Jynx's next attempt at a sweep is decisive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for maximum sweeping potential, while keeping 8 HP in reserve to attain a Leftovers number, allowing Jynx to recover more HP with Leftovers. Life Orb may be used if a coverage move is deemed preferable to Substitute in the final slot; note, however, that Substitute makes Jynx much harder to KO and shields her from faster threats like Swellow and Mismagius, so you should only opt for a coverage move if your team does better against offensive teams than it does against stall teams. Psychic offers better neutral coverage than Ice Beam, but it is not recommended as the mono-attack in this set, as Dark-types will completely wall Jynx. Given that Pokemon like Spiritomb, Houndoom, and Skuntank frequently carry Pursuit, using Psychic as the only attack will ensure that Jynx accomplishes nearly nothing against any team with those Pokemon.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the Nasty Plot set emphasizes plowing through the opposing team with powerful boosted attacks, this Jynx takes a much more defensive approach towards sweeping. This set takes advantage of the fact that many of the Nasty Plot set's counters are specially oriented Water-types, and aims to easily set up on them. The given EVs make Jynx very specially bulky; Pokemon like Milotic and Lanturn cannot break Jynx's Substitutes with their neutral STABs after a Calm Mind boost, and even Pokemon like Weezing cannot break Jynx's Substitutes with Flamethrower after two Calm Minds. Jynx can even survive monstrously powerful special assaults, like Life Orb Moltres' Fire Blast, after a couple of boosts. If, on realizing this, the opponent switches to a physically-oriented counter, Jynx can simply put it to sleep and continue boosting.</p>

<p>This set is very frustrating for frailer offensive teams and balanced teams to face, as they often don't have more than one Pokemon who can both survive Jynx's assaults and prevent her from setting up; they cannot merely use a bulky Water-type or a specially-oriented Choice Scarf user to force this Jynx out. However, bulky offense teams have a significantly easier time with this set, as the entire idea behind bulky offense is to have Pokemon who can both take a hit and hit back hard. Against these teams, it is recommended to preserve Jynx as an endgame sweeper when the opponent's Ice-type resists are all weakened or gone.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for significant special bulk while still enabling Jynx to Speed tie, and often beat, threatening Pokemon such as Arcanine, Drapion, and Houndoom. While the relative lack of Special Attack EVs may make Jynx appear "weak", do not be fooled; even with minor investment, Jynx's Special Attack is nearly as high as Timid Rotom's is with maximum investment, and will definitely hurt most neutral targets after a boost or two. If more power is desired, a spread of 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe may be used, but this is not recommended due to the significantly higher amount of damage Jynx will take from special assaults. Moreover, if this Jynx does not meet the user's offensive requirements, the Nasty Plot set should probably be used.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p>Jynx loves entry hazard support, particularly Spikes, due to the threat of Lovely Kiss forcing many switches. Omastar and Qwilfish can provide Spikes, and both of them have decent defensive synergy with Jynx; Omastar can even set up Stealth Rock, further increasing the residual damage inflicted on the opposing team. The Substitute + Calm Mind set also really appreciates Rapid Spin support, as this lets it use its significant special bulk to come in multiple times on weaker special attackers. Hitmontop is probably the best Rapid Spinner to pair with Jynx due their bulk and typing complementing each other fairly well.</p>

<p>Jynx has a large number of common weaknesses and only two resists, so it is difficult to find Pokemon who have truly effective defensive synergy with her. Therefore, Jynx's best partners are Pokemon who pose an offensive threat to those Pokemon who can force Jynx out while covering common attacks directed at her. Toxicroak and Houndoom form a fantastic offensive trio with Jynx, as between their combined STAB attacks, they power through the entire tier. Toxicroak can soak up Water- and Rock-type attacks directed at Jynx, while Houndoom loves coming in on Dark-, Bug-, and Fire-type attacks. Although all three Pokemon are fairly frail, their resistances and immunities give them a surprising amount of bulk. Rhyperior's prodigious physical defense allows it to tank ExtremeSpeed and Shadow Sneak from the likes of Arcanine and Spiritomb. Rhyperior can also lure in and weaken bulky Waters like Slowking and Blastoise, possibly aiding Jynx later on.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]
<p>Jynx can function somewhat well with a Choice item due to her high Speed and Special Attack. Choice sets should primarily use four of the following moves: Ice Beam, Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Lovely Kiss, and Trick. However, Jynx's relative frailty, Stealth Rock weakness, and vulnerability to the common Pursuit hinder a Choice set's effectiveness.</p>

<p>Grass Knot can be used as an offensive option over Psychic or Focus Blast in order to hit Milotic and Slowking harder. However, both Psychic and Focus Blast will offer much better general utility.</p>

<p>Jynx is the second fastest Pokemon with a reliable sleep move in UU; as such, she can make a useful anti-lead. A lead Jynx should be holding Focus Sash and have Lovely Kiss, with the other moves depending primarily on the kind of leads who a player does not mind losing to. Shadow Ball is necessary for a good chance of KOing Mespirit, Uxie, and Alakazam before they wake up, while Grass Knot gives guaranteed KOes on Omastar, Kabutops, and Rhyperior. Protect allows Jynx to beat Ambipom leads and is useful for scouting Trick from opposing leads, while Ice Beam and Psychic are hard-hitting STAB moves. Counter is an interesting option, but better left to Alakazam. Be very careful against leads suspected of carrying a Focus Sash or a Lum Berry, increasingly common items. This Jynx is best used on teams that appreciate the lack of early-game entry hazards and that can set up on leads who Jynx typically loses to (such as Spiritomb).</p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>The counters who give Jynx the most trouble are Haze Milotic, RestTalk Registeel, and specially defensive Spiritomb. Milotic is only 2HKOed by Jynx when it is at +6, a difficult task since this requires Milotic to be asleep for 4 turns. Note, however, that if Jynx has forgone Substitute for Psychic, Milotic becomes much more manageable and ceases to be a counter. The same situation applies for Registeel; Registeel can KO Jynx with Iron Head at any time, and only loses if Jynx can lock it down long enough with Lovely Kiss that Registeel cannot recover with Rest before Jynx eliminates it, or if Jynx chooses to run Focus Blast in its final slot. Specially defensive Spiritomb can survive even +4 Ice Beam, while taking Jynx out of the game with Pursuit and Shadow Sneak. Unlike Registeel and Milotic, Spiritomb beats Jynx regardless of its moveset. Chansey also handily stalls out Jynx, but only if Sleep Clause is active; if not, Jynx will merely put Chansey to sleep and use her for free setup. Due to Natural Cure, Chansey will cause Sleep Clause to deactivate if she switches out. Some less common counters include Thick Fat Hariyama, Thick Fat Grumpig, Walrein, Lapras, Lanturn, and Slowking. Note again that all of these counters are only counters if Sleep Clause is activated; otherwise they don't have much chance of beating Jynx one-on-one.</p>

Good job ^_^

FlareBlitz

Made your changes Snorlaxe ^^

I call it a reliable sleep move because I've heard sleep powder referred to as such and Lovely Kiss has the same accuracy .__.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
GP Check 1/2

[Overview]

<p>On paper, Jynx may not look like much, as her excellent Speed and fantastic Special Attack stats are overshadowed by mediocre HP and abysmal Defense stats. However, Jynx's precise offensive movepool, her myriad support options, and her access to a reliable sleep move mean that despite her relative physical frailty and unfortunate typing, Jynx can be a potent sweeper in the right hands. After shutting down her counters with Lovely Kiss and boosting her Special Attack, she can devastate unprepared teams.</p>

Move 4: Substitute / Psychic / Focus Blast

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jynx is one of the few Pokemon who has access to Nasty Plot, and this set takes full advantage of her unique traits in order to secure a sweep. The idea behind the execution of this set is simple: switch in on a resisted special attack or after a KO, set up a Substitute to circumvent Jynx's terrible defenses as the opponent switches to a counter, and put it to sleep if it threatens Jynx. With the opponent's primary answer to Jynx incapacitated, she can safely boost her stats from behind a Substitute. The opponent must bring in a less efficient response, at which point Jynx is free to attack and seriously damage it or KO it and attempt a sweep, depending on your opponent's team and your move options. If you chose to forgo Substitute, just start attacking, unless you are fairly certain that you can successfully sweep the remainder of the opponent's team with a Nasty Plot boost. Either way, you will be able to place incredible pressure on your opponent, and he will likely reveal his Choice Scarfers or priority users in order to force Jynx out as quickly as possible. This will be your chance to eliminate or weaken them with Pursuit users and/or lures, ensuring that Jynx's next attempt at a sweep is decisive.</p>

<p>In practice, however, the execution of this strategy may not be so simple. Your opponent may predict your attempt to put Jynx's counter to sleep and double switch to a less important Pokemon or a sleep absorber, preventing you from incapacitating Jynx's main counter. It's even possible that your opponent may have multiple specially bulky resists or enough priority users to ensure Jynx simply cannot immediately sweep. Any well-built team will not immediately lose to a Pokemon with a sleep move and powerful STAB; it is up to Jynx's user to build a team based around removing and weakening her checks, and to play intelligently to avoid wasting the sleep or needlessly sacrificing Jynx. Otherwise, she will simply not be successful. Give her the necessary support, however, and you will find that she performs in her niche admirably well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EVs allow for maximum sweeping potential, with 8 EVs placed in H to attain a Leftovers number. Life Orb may be used if a coverage move is deemed preferable to Substitute in the final slot; note, however, that Substitute makes Jynx much harder to kill and shields her from faster threats like Swellow and Mismagius, so you should only opt for a coverage move if your team does better against offensive teams than it does against stall teams. Psychic offers better neutral coverage than Ice Beam, but it is not recommended as the mono-attack in this set, as Dark-types will completely wall Jynx. Given that Pokemon like Spiritomb, Houndoom, and Skuntank frequently carry Pursuit, using Psychic as the only attack will ensure that Jynx accomplishes nearly nothing against any team with those Pokemon.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the Nasty Plot set emphasizes plowing through the opposing team with powerful boosted attacks, this Jynx takes a much more defensive approach towards sweeping. This set takes advantage of the fact that many of the Nasty Plot set's counters are specially oriented Water-types, and aims to easily set up on them. The given EVs make Jynx very specially bulky; Pokemon like Milotic and Lanturn cannot break Jynx's Substitutes with their neutral STABs after a Calm Mind boost, and even Pokemon like Weezing cannot break Jynx's Substitutes with Flamethrower after two Calm Minds. Jynx can even survive monstrously powerful special assaults, like Life Orb Moltres' Fire Blast, after a couple of boosts. If, upon realizing this, the opponent switches to a physically-oriented counter, Jynx can simply put it to sleep and continue boosting.</p>

<p>This set is very frustrating for frailer offensive teams and balanced teams to face, as they often don't have more than one Pokemon who can both survive Jynx's assaults and prevent her from setting up; they cannot merely use a bulky Water-type or a specially-oriented Choice Scarf user to force this Jynx out. However, bulky offense teams have a significantly easier time with this set, as the entire idea behind bulky offense is to have Pokemon who can both take a hit and hit back hard. Against these teams, it is recommended to preserve Jynx as an endgame sweeper for when the opponent's Ice-type resists are all weakened or gone.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow for significant special bulk while still enabling Jynx to Speed tie[not sure what you mean by "often beat"; most base 95s run +nature max Speed as well] threatening Pokemon such as Arcanine, Drapion, and Houndoom. While the relative lack of Special Attack EVs may make Jynx appear "weak", do not be fooled; even with minor investment, Jynx's Special Attack is nearly as high as Timid Rotom's is with maximum investment, and will definitely hurt most neutral targets after a boost or two. If more power is desired, a spread of 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe may be used, but this is not recommended due to the significantly higher amount of damage Jynx will take from special assaults. Moreover, if this Jynx does not meet the user's offensive requirements, the Nasty Plot set should probably be used instead.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]

<p>Jynx loves entry hazard support, particularly Spikes, as the threat of Lovely Kiss frequently forces switches. Omastar and Qwilfish can provide Spikes, and both of them have decent defensive synergy with Jynx; Omastar can even set up Stealth Rock, further increasing the residual damage inflicted on the opposing team. The Substitute + Calm Mind set also really appreciates Rapid Spin support, as entry hazards really limit its ability to come in multiple times on weaker special attackers. Hitmontop is probably the best Rapid Spinner to pair with Jynx due to their bulk and typing complementing each other fairly well.</p>

<p>Jynx has a large number of common weaknesses and only two resistances, so it is difficult to find Pokemon who have truly effective defensive synergy with her. Therefore, Jynx's best partners are Pokemon who pose an offensive threat to those Pokemon who can force Jynx out while covering common attacks directed at her. Toxicroak and Houndoom form a fantastic offensive trio with Jynx, as between their combined STAB attacks, they power through the entire tier. Toxicroak can soak up Water- and Rock-type attacks directed at Jynx, while Houndoom loves coming in on Dark-, Bug-, and Fire-type attacks. Although all three Pokemon are fairly frail, their resistances and immunities let them switch in on a surprising variety of attacks. Rhyperior's prodigious physical defense allows him to tank ExtremeSpeed and Shadow Sneak from the likes of Arcanine an d Spiritomb. Rhyperior can also lure in and weaken bulky Waters like Slowking and Blastoise, possibly aiding Jynx later on.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Jynx is the second fastest Pokemon with a reliable sleep move in UU; as such, she can make a useful anti-lead. A lead Jynx should be holding Focus Sash and have Lovely Kiss, with the other moves depending primarily on the kind of leads the player does not mind losing to. Shadow Ball is necessary for a good chance of KOing Mespirit, Uxie, and Alakazam before they wake up, while Grass Knot guarantees KOs on Omastar, Kabutops, and Rhyperior. Protect allows Jynx to beat Ambipom leads and is useful for scouting Trick from opposing leads, while Ice Beam and Psychic are hard-hitting STAB moves. Counter is an interesting option, but better left to Alakazam. Be very careful against leads suspected of carrying a Focus Sash or a Lum Berry, increasingly common items. This Jynx is best used on teams that appreciate the lack of early-game entry hazards and can set up on leads whom Jynx typically loses to (such as Spiritomb).</p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>The counters who give Jynx the most trouble are Haze Milotic, RestTalk Registeel, and specially defensive Spiritomb. Milotic is only 2HKOed by Jynx when she is at +6, a difficult task since this requires Milotic to be asleep for 4 turns. Note, however, that if Jynx has forgone Substitute for Psychic, Milotic becomes much more manageable and ceases to be a counter. A similar situation applies for Registeel; Registeel can KO Jynx with Iron Head at any time, and only loses if Jynx can lock it down long enough with Lovely Kiss that Registeel cannot recover with Rest before Jynx eliminates it, or if Jynx chooses to run Focus Blast in her final slot. Specially defensive Spiritomb can survive even +4 Ice Beam, while taking Jynx out of the game with Pursuit or Shadow Sneak. Unlike Registeel and Milotic, Spiritomb beats Jynx regardless of her moveset. Chansey also handily stalls out Jynx, but only if Sleep Clause is active; if not, Jynx will merely put Chansey to sleep and use her for free setup. Due to Natural Cure, Chansey will cause Sleep Clause to deactivate if she switches out. Some less common counters include Thick Fat Hariyama, Thick Fat Grumpig, Walrein, Lapras, Lanturn, and Slowking. Note again that all of these counters are only counters if Sleep Clause is activated; otherwise, they don't have much chance of beating Jynx one-on-one.</p>
Good stuff.

FlareBlitz

Thanks Eo. Made most of your changes. Some of your changes were contrary to the changes I made based on other GP checks, but since you gave me the stamp and everything I mostly deferred to yours.

Regarding your comment, most base 95ers actually don't run max speed. Arcanine is frequently Adamant, and even the Jolly ones typically only go 224, and NP Mixdoom also goes 224. Leafeon and Drapion usually like to keep some EVs for HP, although they do often run max speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)