Nidoqueen (OU Analysis)

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi. Phil said that he wanted someone to take over this analysis due to diinbong's absence, and so I talked to Aldaron and I'll be working on it now. Note that diinbong had a RestTalk set in his write-up (found here) but I tested it and didn't think it was very good (easy setup bait for Pokemon like Dragon Dance Salamence/Gyarados). However, if someone disagrees, then feel free to let me know; I would totally be glad to retest it more thoroughly (I only tested RestTalk for like three days). ^_^

-------------------------

QC approval x3 ------------------------------ GP approval x2
~Philip7086-----------------------------------~Draco Zephyr
~Setsuna.-------------------------------------~jc104
~remlabmez
~Quality Control approved~------------------~Grammar Prose Team approved~

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/nidoqueen

[Overview]
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>While Nidoqueen may seem like an unconventional choice for the OU tier, she is one of the few viable users of Toxic Spikes, which catapults her popularity. Nidoqueen's good typing and decent defensive stats allow her to stop many powerful physical attackers, such as Lucario and Tyranitar. While Nidoqueen is a solid Toxic Spikes user, her defenses are merely average by OU standards, meaning that powerful neutral attacks will heavily damage her and super effective hits will usually KO her. The fact that she lacks a reliable recovery move doesn't help her defensively, as she will often find herself low on health and unable to set up as easily. When using Nidoqueen, make sure that you use her as a go-to Pokemon against physical attackers whose STAB she resists (specifically, physical Fighting-types), as this is when she will find opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes. Overall, Nidoqueen is a good choice in OU if you want a Pokemon who can take a hit and support the team.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Toxic Spikes
move 1: Toxic Spikes
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Blast / Super Fang
move 4: Stealth Rock / Taunt / Roar
item: Leftovers
ability: Poison Point
nature: Relaxed / Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Nidoqueen's niche in OU is the ability to consistently set up Toxic Spikes, an ability that few other OU Pokemon share. The main reason to use Nidoqueen over more popular Toxic Spikes users is her ability to switch in on threats other users cannot, such as Lucario, Jolteon, and Tyranitar. She is also able to absorb an opposing team's Toxic Spikes on the switch-in, something that only two other Pokemon who are commonly seen in OU, Roserade and Tentacruel, are capable of.</p>

<p>Nidoqueen will find the most opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes when she switches in on a physical threat whom she can wall, such as Tyranitar, or a slower defensive Pokemon, such as Blissey. Earthquake is used in the second moveslot as a form of STAB, hitting Pokemon such as Heatran for huge damage and dealing a decent chunk to anyone who isn't resistant or immune to it. Fire Blast is the main choice in the second moveslot as it allows Nidoqueen to hit Steel-types who don't care about Earthquake, such as Skarmory and Forretress, for solid damage. However, Super Fang is a viable alternative, allowing Nidoqueen to immediately strip any switch-ins of half their health, bar Ghost-types. Stealth Rock is the main option in the fourth moveslot, as it allows Nidoqueen to further support her team; she can set it up in the same situations where she sets up Toxic Spikes. However, Taunt can be used instead to shut down the likes of Blissey and Skarmory. She can then set up Toxic Spikes on the aforementioned Pokemon. If neither of these moves tickle your fancy, then Roar can be a good choice, allowing Nidoqueen to phaze out threats, rack up residual damage from entry hazards, and spread poison around the opponent's team with Toxic Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Earth Power can be used instead of Earthquake to hit Metagross, Scizor, and Forretress harder; however, all of these Pokemon are already hit for healthy damage by Fire Blast. If you choose to use Earth Power, then use a Bold nature with 12 Special Attack EVs, as it allows Nidoqueen to 2HKO 252 HP Metagross after Stealth Rock damage. Ice Beam can be used to hit Gliscor and Flygon switch-ins for an OHKO, but both of these Pokemon can already deal catastrophic damage to Nidoqueen with Earthquake, making it an inferior choice.</p>

<p>The EVs on this set allow for maximum physical bulk and let Nidoqueen take hits more easily in general. A Relaxed nature is used to maximize Nidoqueen's Defense without lowering her Special Attack, but if you don't use Fire Blast in the third moveslot, then you should use an Impish nature, as it doesn't lower Nidoqueen's Speed. Shuca Berry is an alternate item if you're using Nidoqueen as a lead, as it allows her to take on Metagross and other Earthquake users more easily.</p>

<p>The main reason why one would use Nidoqueen in the first place is for her ability to set up Toxic Spikes; as such, you should pair her with Pokemon who can take advantage of Toxic Spikes support. Such Pokemon include Torment Heatran and SubRoost Zapdos. Agility Empoleon is also a good example of this, and sports resistances to the Ice- and Water-type attacks commonly aimed at Nidoqueen. Celebi is also a good teammate, as it can stall opponents out with Toxic Spikes support, defensively complements Nidoqueen, and checks Dragon Dance Gyarados, who can set up on Nidoqueen. Vaporeon is also a good defensive teammate to utilize. Not only does he synergize well with Nidoqueen, but he can also pass Wish to her, keeping her health high; this is even more important when you consider that Nidoqueen lacks a reliable recovery move. On a more stall-oriented team, Blissey is a great partner, as she is also capable of passing Wish to Nidoqueen. The pair also have good defensive synergy; Blissey can take the powerful special attacks Nidoqueen is unable to handle, while Nidoqueen can take the physical Fighting-type hits that will otherwise OHKO Blissey. Pairing Nidoqueen with a Pokemon who can block Rapid Spin, such as Rotom-A, is a great plan, as it prevents the opposition from spinning away her Toxic Spikes.</p>

[Team Options]
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>If you're using Nidoqueen in OU, chances are that you're using her to set up Toxic Spikes. As such, you should always pair her with Pokemon who enjoy Toxic Spikes support. Good examples of this include Agility SubPetaya Empoleon and Torment Heatran; SubCharge Rotom-A can also utilize the support, and has the additional ability to block any attempts to Rapid Spin away Nidoqueen's Toxic Spikes. While Nidoqueen is a great support Pokemon, she is below average offensively, and will often be set up on. Dragon Dance Gyarados can set up on any Nidoqueen lacking Thunderbolt, and can pose a serious threat to most teams. If you use Nidoqueen, you should be prepared to deal with these threats. Defensive Celebi does a great job of checking Gyarados, and synergizes well with Nidoqueen. A Suicune who carries both Hidden Power Electric and Ice Beam can easily check Flygon and Gyarados thanks to its superior bulk. It can also take Ice- and Water-type attacks aimed at Nidoqueen, allowing you to maintain her HP and switch her in later in the match to set up entry hazards or check physical threats.</p>

<p>Since Nidoqueen lacks a reliable recovery move, Pokemon who are capable of passing Wish make great teammates, as Wish support ultimately increases Nidoqueen's longevity by leaps and bounds. Vaporeon and Blissey are both solid choices to supply this; Vaporeon comes with the additional ability to check Dragon Dance Gyarados with Hidden Power Electric. It's also a good idea to use a spinblocker alongside Nidoqueen, as your opponent may try and Rapid Spin away her Toxic Spikes. Using a Rotom forme is a good idea, as their high defensive stats allow them to switch in on most Rapid Spinners. In particular, Rotom-C can scare away Swampert, a large threat to Nidoqueen, with the prospect of a powerful Leaf Storm.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Nidoqueen could potentially use a Rest + Sleep Talk set, but this makes her easily walled, and turns her into setup fodder for many dangerous Pokemon, namely Dragon Dance Gyarados. If you're interested in providing Nidoqueen with recovery, it's probably a good idea to stick with Wish support. Thunderbolt could be used over Fire Blast / Super Fang to allow Nidoqueen to hit bulky Water-types, especially Gyarados, but its usage is extremely minimal outside of that. Ice Beam is an alternate option to allow Nidoqueen to OHKO Flygon and Gliscor switch-ins, but Fire Blast is usually the better choice as far as a special attack is concerned. When choosing Nidoqueen's ability, it's generally best to stick with Poison Point. While the power increase that Rivalry potentially grants may seem appealing, the fact of the matter is that it will often leave Nidoqueen's attacks underpowered, as the majority of Pokemon are male. Poison Point can at least occasionally poison physical attackers, and while it isn't a great ability, it's better than Rivalry.</p>

[Counters]
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Depending on what special move Nidoqueen carries, certain Pokemon can cause her problems. If Nidoqueen lacks Ice Beam, then Flygon will easily switch in on her. If she lacks Fire Blast, then Skarmory and Forretress will waltz in and set up Spikes. Gyarados can freely switch in on Nidoqueen, set up Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep her team; however, Gyarados must watch out for rare Thunderbolt variants. Opposing Rotom-A can easily switch in on Nidoqueen thanks to their immunity to Earthquake. They can then proceed to burn her with Will-O-Wisp or simply attack with Shadow Ball. Bulky Water-type Pokemon can switch in and threaten Nidoqueen with their STAB moves, but won't enjoy being poisoned by the Toxic Spikes that Nidoqueen sets up. At the end of the day, practically any Pokemon with decent defensive stats and a resistance to Ground-type moves will be able to take Nidoqueen on and come out on top. However, be wary of the special moves, namely Fire Blast and Ice Beam, that Nidoqueen may carry, as you could otherwise find yourself in a bad situation with the wrong switch-in.</p>

Could Super Fang get a mention alongside Fire Blast/Ice Beam? You lose to Gengar and Rotom-A, but it hits everything else switching in first time for ~45% depending on SR/previous damage.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Could Super Fang get a mention alongside Fire Blast/Ice Beam? You lose to Gengar and Rotom-A, but it hits everything else switching in first time for ~45% depending on SR/previous damage.
That actually sounds like a pretty cool idea, I'll test that later today and then get back to you :)

You have Atk EVs on an all-special set...
yeah my bad, meant to put SpA x)

EDIT: okay chris, adding more detail ^_^

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
-Nidoqueen's niche in OU is as a good Toxic Spikes user who can switch in on many physical threats and set up the hazards
What threats can Nidoqueen come in on that Forretress or Tentacruel cannot? This is important to the efficacy of the set so I'd like more detail.

16 SpDef EVs is all you need to survive lead Azelf's Psychic 100% of the time. Since I use Nidoqueen as a lead this is really necessary.

Earthquake hits Lucario harder than Earth Power (which only OHKOs after 1 layer of Spikes with max damage), which is the main reason I use Nidoqueen (Stealth Rock too but there are other options for that). You can just run Relaxed if you want to hit Scizor with a special Fire attack.

Why is Ice Beam even an option? Flygon and Salamence both threaten you with EQ. What else do you hit? The neutral coverage with Ground is great but you don't have the attacking stats to back it up. The threat of Fire Blast's burn is more effective imo, even though the coverage is worse. Super Fang is my favorite move and the selling point of Nidoqueen. Forretress is a better Spiker and can Spin and Tentacruel takes out Infernape, some Heatran, and can Spin. Nidoqueen takes on Lucario but that's it. Taunt? Use Gliscor. Super Fang? Hell yeah! Threaten any non-Ghost in the game? I'll take that any day.

Other than that looks good. I fully approve of using Nidoqueen in OU.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
@fatPhil -- thanks for the approval ^_^

@eastamazonantidote -- your ideas sound pretty cool, and it sounds like you really know what you're talking about. I'll test your stuff (along with Dan_Dan's suggestion) tonight and update the OP accordingly tomorrow! :)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm all for having EQ as the main move instead of Earth Power, for the reasons stated above. In fact, EQ has a 92% of chances of OHKOing 4 HP Lucario with SR down, while Earth Power counts on a mere 2%. A Relaxed nature is also plausible in order not to make FB hit with less power. It's worth mentioning that if a Relaxed nature is used, then Taunt works only for preventing Blissey from using Toxic, Wish, etc, as Skarmory will always be faster.

With these changes made, I'll give this update my stamp of approval.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Alright Setsuna, I'm adding your changes now :)

EDIT: made all suggested changes

EDIT2: Fire Blast is now the main option ^_^

After quite a bit of testing, I've come up with some results. I'm also going to make another bid for Super Fang.

The most common switch ins to Nidoqueen are Heatran, Suicune, Gengar, Rotom, Skarmory, and Gyarados. All these pokemon don't like being Taunted, so Taunt easily gets that first slash on the last slot. Without recovery and weaknesses to many common attacking types, Nidoqueen doesn't have time for both SR and TSpikes, so you should make a note of that. Roar is a great move but, from my experience, is outperformed by Taunt. I would set up the set to be:
move 4: Taunt / Roar

The nature should have an Impish slash for people not using Fire Blast. I still have not found a use for Ice Beam. Roserade, Shaymin, and Celebi like to come in, yes, but Fire Blast and Super Fang has been handling them just fine. Salamence, Dragonite, and Flygon, though they resist Fire Blast, still feel threatened by the burn or (in most of my cases) Super Fang.

Poison Point has been amazing recently, hitting LeadApes while they Fake Out and forcing them to choose between hitting me or setting up SR.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
After testing Super Fang I can say that it definitely does deserve a slash over Ice Beam, and will be making that change shortly. However, I'm leaving Stealth Rock as the main option in the fourth slot, as I've actually been able to set up both Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes practically every time with Nidoqueen (with Wish support from Blissey, mind you). As for Impish, I'll slash it in and say to use it if you're not using special attacks. Thanks for the feedback :)

There is a typo:

Earthquake is used as STAB (and hits Lucario, Tentacruel, and Tyranitar harder than Earthquake)

You mean Earth Power

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Hi, I'm bumping this now that the analysis is written. Sorry it's kinda short, but OU Nidoqueen is pretty straightforward so yeah

GP checks, come hither!

Grammar-Prose Check 1/2:
orange for prose edits
blue for spelling/grammar edits
comments in green
<h2>Overview</h2>
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>While Nidoqueen may seem like an extremely unconventional choice for the OU tier, she is one of the few viable users of Toxic Spikes, which catapults her usability. Nidoqueen's good typing and decent defensive stats allow her to stop many powerful physical attackers, such as Lucario and Tyranitar. While Nidoqueen is a solid Toxic Spikes user, her defenses are merely average by OU standards, meaning that powerful neutral attacks will heavily damage her and super effective hits will usually KO her. The fact that she lacks a reliable recovery move doesn't help her defensively, as she will often find herself low on health and unable to set up as easily. When using Nidoqueen, make sure that you use her as a go-to Pokemon against physical attackers whose STAB she resists (specifically, physical Fighting-types), as this is when she will find opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes. Overall, Nidoqueen is a good choice in OU if you want a Pokemon who can take a hit and support the team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Nidoqueen's niche in OU is the ability to consistently set up Toxic Spikes, an ability that few other OU Pokemon share. The main reason to use Nidoqueen over more popular Toxic Spikes users is her ability to switch in on threats other users cannot, such as Lucario, Jolteon, and Tyranitar. She is also able to absorb an opposing team's Toxic Spikes on the switch-in, something that only two other Pokemon who are commonly seen in OU, Roserade and Tentacruel, are capable of.</p>

<p>Nidoqueen will find the most opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes when she switches in on a physical threat whom she can wall, such as Tyranitar, or a slower defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory. Earthquake is used in the second moveslot as a form of STAB, hitting Pokemon such as Heatran for huge damage and dealing a decent chunk to anyone who doesn't resist or isn't immune to it. Fire Blast is the main choice in the second moveslot as it allows Nidoqueen to hit Steel-types who don't care about Earthquake, such as Skarmory and Forretress, for solid damage. However, Super Fang is a viable alternative, allowing Nidoqueen to immediately strip any switch-ins of half their health, bar Ghost-types. Stealth Rock is the main option in the fourth moveslot, as it allows Nidoqueen to further support her team; she can set it up in the same situations where she sets up Toxic Spikes. However, Taunt can be used instead to shut down the likes of Blissey and Skarmory. She can then set up Toxic Spikes on the aforementioned Pokemon. If neither of these moves tickle your fancy, then Roar can be a good choice, allowing Nidoqueen to phaze out threats, rack up residual damage from entry hazards, and spread poison around the opponent's team with Toxic Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Earth Power can be used instead of Earthquake to hit Metagross, Scizor, and Forretress harder; however, all of these Pokemon are already hit for healthy damage by Fire Blast. If you choose to use Earth Power, then use a Bold nature with 12 Special Attack EVs, as it allows Nidoqueen to 2HKO 252 HP Metagross after Stealth Rock damage. Ice Beam can be used to hit Salamence and Flygon switch-ins for an OHKO, but both of these Pokemon can already deal catastrophic damage to Nidoqueen with Earthquake, making it an inferior choice.</p>

<p>The EVs on this set allow for maximum physical bulk and let Nidoqueen take hits more easily in general. A Relaxed nature is used to maximize Nidoqueen's Defense without lowering her Special Attack, but if you don't use Fire Blast in the third moveslot, then you should use an Impish nature, as it doesn't lower Nidoqueen's Speed. Shuca Berry is an alternate item if you're using Nidoqueen as a lead, as it allows her to take on Metagross and other Earthquake users more easily.</p>

<p>The main reason why one would use Nidoqueen in the first place is for her ability to set up Toxic Spikes; as such, you should pair her with Pokemon who can take advantage of Toxic Spikes support. Such Pokemon include Torment Heatran and SubRoost Zapdos. Agility Empoleon is also a good example of this, and sports resistances to the Ice- and Water-type attacks commonly aimed at Nidoqueen. Celebi is also a good teammate, as it can stall opponents out with Toxic Spikes support, defensively complements Nidoqueen , and checks Dragon Dance Gyarados, who can set up on Nidoqueen. Vaporeon is also a good defensive teammate to utilize. Not only does he synergize well with Nidoqueen, but he can also pass Wish to her, keeping her health high; this is even more important when you consider the fact that Nidoqueen lacks a reliable recovery move. On a more stall-oriented team, Blissey is a great partner, as she is also capable of passing Wish to Nidoqueen. The pair also have good defensive synergy; Blissey can take the powerful special attacks Nidoqueen is unable to handle, while Nidoqueen can take the physical Fighting-type hits that will otherwise OHKO Blissey. Pairing Nidoqueen with a Pokemon who can block Rapid Spin, such as Rotom-A, is a great plan, as it prevents the opposition from spinning away her Toxic Spikes.</p>

<h2>Team Options</h2>
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>If you're using Nidoqueen in OU, chances are that you're using her to set up Toxic Spikes. As such, you should always pair her with Pokemon who enjoy Toxic Spikes support. Good examples of this include Agility SubPetaya Empoleon and Torment Heatran; SubCharge Rotom-A can also utilize the support, and has the additional ability to block any attempts to Rapid Spin away Nidoqueen's Toxic Spikes. While Nidoqueen is a great support Pokemon, she is below average offensively, and will often be set up on. Dragon Dance Gyarados and Salamence can set up on any Nidoqueen lacking Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, respectively, and can pose a serious threat to most teams. If you use Nidoqueen, you should be prepared to deal with these threats. Defensive Celebi with Hidden Power Ice does a great job of checking both of the aforementioned threats, and synergizes well with Nidoqueen. A Suicune who carries both Hidden Power Electric and Ice Beam can easily check Salamence and Gyarados thanks to its superior bulk. It can also take Ice- and Water-type attacks aimed at Nidoqueen, allowing you to maintain her HP and switch her in later in the match to set up entry hazards or check physical threats.</p>

<p>Since Nidoqueen lacks a reliable recovery move, Pokemon who are capable of passing Wish make great teammates, as Wish support ultimately increases Nidoqueen's longevity by leaps and bounds. Vaporeon and Blissey are both solid choices to supply this; Vaporeon comes with the additional ability to check Dragon Dance Gyarados with Hidden Power Electric. It's also a good idea to use a Spinblocker alongside Nidoqueen, as your opponent may try and Rapid Spin away her Toxic Spikes. Using a Rotom forme is a good idea, as their high defensive stats allow them to easily switch in on most Rapid Spinners. In particular, Rotom-C can scare away Swampert, a large threat to Nidoqueen, with the prospect of a powerful Leaf Storm.</p>

<h2>Optional Changes</h2>
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Nidoqueen could potentially use a Rest + Sleep Talk set, but this makes her easily walled, and turns her into set-up fodder for many dangerous Pokemon, namely Dragon Dance Salamence and Gyarados. If you're interested in providing Nidoqueen with recovery, it's probably a good idea to stick with Wish support. Thunderbolt could be used over Fire Blast / Super Fang to allow Nidoqueen to hit bulky Water-types, especially Gyarados, but its usage is extremely minimal outside of that. Ice Beam is an alternate option to allow Nidoqueen to OHKO Salamence, Flygon, and Gliscor switch-ins, but Fire Blast is usually the better choice as far as a special attack is concerned. When choosing Nidoqueen's ability, it's generally best to stick with Poison Point. While the power increase that Rivalry potentially grants may seem appealing, the fact of the matter is that it will often leave Nidoqueen's attacks underpowered, as the majority of Pokemon are male. Poison Point can at least occasionally poison physical attackers, and while it isn't a great ability, it's better than Rivalry.</p>

<h2>Counters</h2>
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Depending on what special move Nidoqueen carries, certain Pokemon can cause her problems. If Nidoqueen lacks Ice Beam, then Salamence will easily switch in on her. If she lacks Fire Blast, then Skarmory and Forretress will waltz in and set up Spikes. Gyarados can freely switch in on Nidoqueen, set up Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep her team; however, Gyarados must watch out for rare Thunderbolt variants. Opposing Rotom-A can easily switch in on Nidoqueen thanks to their immunity to Earthquake. They can then proceed to burn her with Will-O-Wisp or simply attack with Shadow Ball. Bulky Water-type Pokemon can switch in and threaten Nidoqueen with their STAB moves, but won't enjoy being poisoned by the Toxic Spikes that Nidoqueen sets up. At the end of the day, practically any Pokemon with decent defensive stats and a resistance to Ground-type moves will be able to take Nidoqueen on and come out on top. However, be wary of the special moves, namely Fire Blast and Ice Beam, that Nidoqueen may carry, as you could otherwise find yourself in a bad situation with the wrong switch-in.</p>
Hi! Nice analysis Snorlaxe, most of the errors I found were dealing with prose. Couple of things: in the "Counters" paragraph, you overused "easily," so I replaced most mentions of said word. You have a slight tendency to overuse ", as it allows" when describing certain moves or abilities. I'm not sure "synergizes" is a word, but I kept it anyway, because it's understandable. I also added in HTML tags for the section headings, seeing as you have some already. Anyways, apart from those things, this was a very well-written analysis, good job. =)

jc104

Humblest person ever
OK hardly any errors, so here are some subjective suggestions:

<p>While Nidoqueen may seem like an extremely unconventional choice for the OU tier, she is one of the few viable users of Toxic Spikes, which catapults her usability (I don’t see it as grammatically wrong, but I don’t like this sentence. The word catapult does not necessarily imply a rise in usability, merely a sudden change. Also, I would say popularity more than usability – the fact that she is one of few does not make her more usable). Nidoqueen's good typing and decent defensive stats allow her to stop many powerful physical attackers, such as Lucario and Tyranitar. While Nidoqueen is a solid Toxic Spikes user, her defenses are merely average by OU standards, meaning that powerful neutral attacks will heavily damage her and super effective hits will usually KO her. The fact that she lacks a reliable recovery move doesn't help her defensively, as she will often find herself low on health and unable to set up as easily. When using Nidoqueen, make sure that you use her as a go-to Pokemon against physical attackers whose STAB she resists (specifically, physical Fighting-types), as this is when she will find opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes. Overall, Nidoqueen is a good choice in OU if you want a Pokemon who can take a hit and support the team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Nidoqueen will find the most opportunities to set up Toxic Spikes when she switches in on a physical threat whom she can wall, such as Tyranitar, or a slower defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory (when Nidoqueen is relaxed, is Skarm not almost always faster than her). Earthquake is used in the second moveslot as a form of STAB, hitting Pokemon such as Heatran for huge damage and dealing a decent chunk to anyone who doesn't resist or isn't resistant orimmune to it. Fire Blast is the main choice in the second moveslot as it allows Nidoqueen to hit Steel-types who don't care about Earthquake, such as Skarmory and Forretress, for solid damage. However, Super Fang is a viable alternative, allowing Nidoqueen to immediately strip any switch-ins of half their health, bar Ghost-types. Stealth Rock is the main option in the fourth moveslot, as it allows Nidoqueen to further support her team; she can set it up in the same situations where she sets up Toxic Spikes. However, Taunt can be used instead to shut down the likes of Blissey and Skarmory. She can then set up Toxic Spikes on the aforementioned Pokemon. If neither of these moves tickle your fancy, then Roar can be a good choice, allowing Nidoqueen to phaze out threats, rack up residual damage from entry hazards, and spread poison around the opponent's team with Toxic Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Earth Power can be used instead of Earthquake to hit Metagross, Scizor, and Forretress harder; however, all of these Pokemon are already hit for healthy damage by Fire Blast. If you choose to use Earth Power, then use a Bold nature with 12 Special Attack EVs, as it allows Nidoqueen to 2HKO 252 HP Metagross after Stealth Rock damage. Ice Beam can be used to hit Salamence and Flygon switch-ins for an OHKO, but both of these Pokemon can already deal catastrophic damage to Nidoqueen with Earthquake, making it an inferior choice.</p>

<p>The main reason why one would use Nidoqueen in the first place is for her ability to set up Toxic Spikes; as such, you should pair her with Pokemon who can take advantage of Toxic Spikes support. Such Pokemon include Torment Heatran and SubRoost Zapdos. Agility Empoleon is also a good example of this, and sports resistances to the Ice- and Water-type attacks commonly aimed at Nidoqueen. Celebi is also a good teammate, as it can stall opponents out with Toxic Spikes support, defensively complements Nidoqueen (spacing), and checks Dragon Dance Gyarados, who can set up on Nidoqueen. Vaporeon is also a good defensive teammate to utilize. Not only does he synergize well with Nidoqueen, but he can also pass Wish to her, keeping her health high; this is even more important when you consider the fact that Nidoqueen lacks a reliable recovery move. On a more stall-oriented team, Blissey is a great partner, as she is also capable of passing Wish to Nidoqueen. The pair also have good defensive synergy; Blissey can take the powerful special attacks Nidoqueen is unable to handle, while Nidoqueen can take the physical Fighting-type hits that will otherwise OHKO Blissey. Pairing Nidoqueen with a Pokemon who can block Rapid Spin, such as Rotom-A, is a great plan, as it prevents the opposition from spinning away her Toxic Spikes.</p>

<h2>Team Options</h2>
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>If you're using Nidoqueen in OU, chances are that you're using her to set up Toxic Spikes. As such, you should always pair her with Pokemon who enjoy Toxic Spikes support. Good examples of this include Agility SubPetaya Empoleon and Torment Heatran; SubCharge Rotom-A can also utilize the support, and has the additional ability to block any attempts to Rapid Spin away Nidoqueen's Toxic Spikes. While Nidoqueen is a great support Pokemon, she is below average offensively, and will often be set up on. Dragon Dance Gyarados and Salamence can set up on any Nidoqueen lacking Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, respectively, and can pose a serious threat to most teams. If you use Nidoqueen, you should be prepared to deal with these threats. Defensive Celebi with Hidden Power Ice does a great job of checking both of the aforementioned threats, and synergizes well with Nidoqueen. A Suicune who carries both Hidden Power Electric and Ice Beam can easily check Salamence and Gyarados thanks to its superior bulk. It can also take Ice- and Water-type attacks aimed at Nidoqueen, allowing you to maintain her HP and switch her in later in the match to set up entry hazards or check physical threats.</p>

<p>Since Nidoqueen lacks a reliable recovery move, Pokemon who are capable of passing Wish make great teammates, as Wish support ultimately increases Nidoqueen's longevity by leaps and bounds. Vaporeon and Blissey are both solid choices to supply this; Vaporeon comes with the additional ability to check Dragon Dance Gyarados with Hidden Power Electric. It's also a good idea to use a spinblocker alongside Nidoqueen, as your opponent may try and Rapid Spin away her Toxic Spikes. Using a Rotom forme is a good idea, as their high defensive stats allow them to easily switch in on most Rapid Spinners. In particular, Rotom-C can scare away Swampert, a large threat to Nidoqueen, with the prospect of a powerful Leaf Storm.</p>

<h2>Optional Changes</h2>
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Nidoqueen could potentially use a Rest + Sleep Talk set, but this makes her easily walled, and turns her into setup fodder for many dangerous Pokemon, namely Dragon Dance Salamence and Gyarados. If you're interested in providing Nidoqueen with recovery, it's probably a good idea to stick with Wish support. Thunderbolt could be used over Fire Blast / Super Fang to allow Nidoqueen to hit bulky Water-types, especially Gyarados, but its usage is extremely minimal outside of that. Ice Beam is an alternate option to allow Nidoqueen to OHKO Salamence, Flygon, and Gliscor switch-ins, but Fire Blast is usually the better choice as far as a special attack is concerned. When choosing Nidoqueen's ability, it's generally best to stick with Poison Point. While the power increase that Rivalry potentially grants may seem appealing, the fact of the matter is that it will often leave Nidoqueen's attacks underpowered, as the majority of Pokemon are male. Poison Point can at least occasionally poison physical attackers, and while it isn't a great ability, it's better than Rivalry.</p>

<h2>Counters</h2>
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Depending on what special move Nidoqueen carries, certain Pokemon can cause her problems. If Nidoqueen lacks Ice Beam, then Salamence will easily switch in on her. If she lacks Fire Blast, then Skarmory and Forretress will waltz in and set up Spikes. Gyarados can freely switch in on Nidoqueen, set up Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep her team; however, Gyarados must watch out for rare Thunderbolt variants. Opposing Rotom-A can easily switch in on Nidoqueen thanks to their immunity to Earthquake. They can then proceed to burn her with Will-O-Wisp or simply attack with Shadow Ball. Bulky Water-type Pokemon can switch in and threaten Nidoqueen with their STAB moves, but won't enjoy being poisoned by the Toxic Spikes that Nidoqueen sets up. At the end of the day, practically any Pokemon with decent defensive stats and a resistance to Ground-type moves will be able to take Nidoqueen on and come out on top. However, be wary of the special moves, namely Fire Blast and Ice Beam, that Nidoqueen may carry, as you could otherwise find yourself in a bad situation with the wrong switch-in.</p>
Excellent work. My spell-check seems to think "synergizes" is a word by the way, but it really is horrible (as if synergy were not a bad enough word already).

Also, you seem to have converted Draco Zephyr to your colour coding system (although not the colours themselves). Strange.

GP check 2/2

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Thanks jc104, your stuff is in. Note that I kept "catapults" in the first sentence, but changed "usability" to "popularity" in accordance to your suggestion :)

This is now both QC and GP approved, meaning the analysis is totally done. I'll talk to a mod about getting this uploaded~

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Salamence is banned :( so I've removed all mentions. I basically just chucked like Flygon in its place where it was mentioned, as I usually was like "hit Salamence on the switch-in with Ice Beam".

Yea so the analysis is Salamence-free, which means I can now talk to someone about uploading (for real this time)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Uploaded, fixed the tags (remember: [Overview], not <h2>Overview</h2>).

Holy shit is the UU Nidoqueen outdated. It even listed Milotic as a potential counter in OU. O_O;

EDIT: Okay I have to edit stuff since mingot is yelling at me. :( (J/k)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)