Vaporeon

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Vaporeon

Code:
Typing: Water
Ability #1: Water Absorb -- Heals 25% of Maximum HP when hit by a Water-type attack
Ability #2: Hydration -- Cures any status ailment inflicted upon this Pokemon when it is raining, including self inflicted status (Rest).

Level-up Moves: Lv1: Tail Whip, Lv1: Tackle, Lv1: Helping Hand, Lv8: Sand-Attack, Lv15:  Water Gun, Lv22: Quick Attack, Lv29: Bite, Lv36: Aurora Beam, Lv43: Aqua  Ring, Lv50: Last Resort, Lv57: Haze, Lv64: Acid Armor, Lv71: Hydro  Pump, Lv78: Muddy Water

Pre-evolution Moves: Lv1: Tail Whip, Lv1: Tackle, Lv1: Helping Hand, Lv8: Sand-Attack, Lv15:  Growl, Lv22: Quick Attack, Lv29: Bite, Lv36: Baton Pass, Lv43: Take  Down, Lv50: Last Resort, Lv57: Trump Card

Egg moves: Charm, Flail, Endure, Curse, Tickle, Wish, Yawn, Fake Tears, Covet, Detect, Natural Gift, Assist Power, Synchro Noise

TM and HM moves: TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM07 - Hail, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 -  Sunny Day, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 -  Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM28 -  Dig, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM32 - Double Team, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest,  TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM49 - Echo Voice, TM55 - Boiling Water,  TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM83 - Cheer Up, TM87 - Swagger,  TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM03 - Surf, HM04 - Strength, HM05  - Waterfall, HM06 - Dive

New moves: 

Assist Power --[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]It attacks the opponent with accumulated power. The higher your stats are raised, the more powerful this attack.      [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=Black]

Synchro Noise (Psychic, Special) -- [/COLOR]Hits any Pokémon that shares a type with the user. (PP: 16, Power: 70, Accuracy: 100)

Boiling Water (Water, Special) -- [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]It attacks by shooting boiling hot water at the opponent. It will sometimes cause a burn.  (PP: 15, Power: 80, Accuracy: 100)

Echo Voice -- [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=#000000]Increases in power if the pokemon or it’s teammate use it every turn.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Get Even (Normal, Physical) -- [/COLOR][/SIZE] (PP: 5, Power: 70, Accuracy:    100).  Deals more damage if teammate was KO'd last turn.  

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Troll -- [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=#000000]Increases in power for each user of it on your team.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Cheer Up -- Raises Attack and Special Attack one stage [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Vaporeon got some cool new tools this gen. It is now able to pass much larger Wishes due to new mechanics and got an awesome Dream World Ability, Hydration, which instantly cures all of its status conditions in the rain. Vaporeon will always be a top notch Pokemon because it can tank hits extremely well, absorb water-type attacks with Water Absorb, and can also hit hard with Specs and Life Orb sets.

Usable sets:

Wish Support
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Scald/Surf
-Wish
-Protect
-Roar/Toxic

Some notes:

-Excellent team player
-Best used in conjunction with all three entry hazards, as this aids this set's stalling nature
-An alternative EV spread is 252 HP/216 Def/40 SpD to tank special hits slightly better.

Defensive Rain-Rest

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Scald/Surf
-Wish
-Rest/Protect
-Roar/Toxic

-Should always be used in conjuction with Politoed.
-Is a solid defensive pivot and status absorber on a rain stall or offense team.
-252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD with a Calm Nature is a good idea on this set to prevent opposing Specs Politoed from 2HKOing you with any of its moves.

Offensive Rain Vap

Vaporeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 32 HP/224 Def/252 SpA
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Toxic/HP Grass
-Ice Beam
-Rest

-Should always be used in conjuction with Politoed.
-Sturdy special attacker that hits like a nuke
-Speed investment to get off the Toxic on Jellicent before it can Taunt is optional (188 Def/252 SpA/68 Spe Modest would be an example of an appropriate spread if you wish to do this).

For more Vaporeon sets (Baton Pass & Choice Specs), please check the Smogon page:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/vaporeon

Happy theorymoning!

It's important to note that due to the changes in the mechanics of Wish, Vaporeon now passes the 3rd-largest amount of health with the move (second only to Blissey and I believe Mamanbou) of fully-evolved pokemon, and it is more statistically balanced than Mamanbou thanks to its base 95 SpD. Just a note.

For the first set: Boiling Water would be a better choice for Vaporeon as the option for burn is very inticing because of Vaporeon's lacklustre defences. A burn to a sweeper would be great for the survivability of this pokemon.

And wish is just godly now on high HP users.

Boiling Water + Ice Beam seems like the best attacking combination. Salamence in particular is more immediately threatening than Gyarados to Vaporeon, and Boiling Water isn't Taunt-able which means you're very likely to get a burn on it (or you can just switch to your Nattorei or whatever). Ice Beam beats up Garchomp, Salamence, Sazando, and Ononokusu. Wish's new mechanics make it even better than before.. like seriously. Passing 232 HP is absolutely massive, considering Nattorei only has 352 HP.

Unlike Mamanbou, Vaporeon actually has a very usable Special Attack, even without investment, allowing it to fire off Boiling Water and do good damage. It's also more specially bulky than Mamanbou.

Damn wish support is too good to pass up anymore. Hopefully this brings a boost somewhat to Vaporeons brother Umbreon too.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
It appears to remain the sturdy bulky water it has been for a while with minor improvements.. standard stuff here.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Unlike Mamanbou, Vaporeon actually has a very usable Special Attack, even without investment, allowing it to fire off Boiling Water and do good damage. It's also more specially bulky than Mamanbou.
Mamanbou seems completely worthless, in my opinion. Other than its good physical defense, what does it have over Vaporeon? The only scenario where this can possibly be useful is perhaps surviving a hit from boosted Salamence (and Mamanbou's 0 SpA Ice Beam doesn't OHKO Salamence after SR and 1 turn of Life Orb recoil!). It also seems quite large, so I doubt it can take a Grass Knot from Infernape/Latias. I suppose it can have a role in the lower tiers, but Vaporeon is completely out of its league.

This whole new Wish mechanic seems pretty nifty. Let's see how much it takes a toll on the new metagame!

Yay i always liked Vaporeon ^.^
Boiling water is just such a great move if you ask me and surf dsn't even deserve to be a slash on the standard wish passer.I mean this is just "gg" to the likes of Scizor,Luke,Gross who seem to be quite fond of setting up on him.
The major boot that Wish got is also a great blessing for this guy.Now if your anything like me then you hate Blissey and want its fat ass to get the $@#% out of OU.And quite frankly...Mamanbou sucks so Vaporeon is kinda the best Wish passer now if you ask me =3.
Hydration is also a great ability but i dont think it will be good enough to remove Water Absorb as the standard.Not to mention these annoying illeagal combinations that seem to be making most good Dream world abilities suck (No damn Outrage on mence? I mean W T F).But still Hydration could work pretty well in Rain teams or even its quite great aginst rain teams and might be something worth consideration if you find Rain Dance annoying (I Suppose we should call it DrizzleToad annoying because no one actually is going to use Rain dance....).And maybe just maybe RainStalling might actually become viable now yay :D.I found it quite hard to do with the 8 turn timer...
Also the water typing seems more viable now with all the Fire type's and its mother running around everywhere....
So hurray for awesome water types ^.^

Haha I wasn't aware of the changes to Wish prior to this; that would be one big big reason to use Vaporeon over Suicune when I thought it could be outclassed. Like its Eeveelution brethren Vaporeon can pass Cheer Up instead of just Acid Armour now, which might make it more useful on BP teams which need Wish passers.

The problem with running Roar in Gen4 was how taunt users could easily set up on you and screw with you entirely(especially Gyarados, ewwww). With Boiling Water this becomes so much less of a problem than ever before, and in combination with a layer or two of residual damage(I don't even care what they are LOL), this set is going to be incredibly obnoxious:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb: Bold
[Some EV spread, probably 188 HP, 252 Defense, 68 Sp. Defense]
Boiling Water
Wish
Protect
Roar

And if weather becomes too much of a problem, this does a really good job in checking rain teams... well, it did in Gen4, anyway. Not sure how much of a boost it has in Gen5, but it should be able to take the same amount of abuse.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
As far as I know, passing Wishes are based on your HP, so isn't it advantageous to give Vaporeon 252 HP to pass larger Wishes? Please correct me if I am wrong.

You're likely right, I was just using the arbitrary Gen4 EV spread for general purposes. If Wish does work that way, then 252 HP is probably the best way to go.

so what is wish new effect anyway? it pass 50% of the user hp instead of receiver or something?

boiling water should be the main option instead of surf, the burn is too good to pass up, watch shit like mence switching into to get burned. besides that and hydration vaporeon continue to be the always reliable wish passer we had before...but those two alone greatly add to its stalling ability.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Vapereon sucks in gen 5 Vapereon's still got it. Boiling water is a huge boon for her because she now doesn't have to resort to running HP Electric to beat gyarados. The wish buff is insanely useful her and her teammates. (It now recovers half of the users HP.)

Suicune may have gotten a big buff in Water Absorb, but Vapereon is still "different" enough to be viable.

@Articanus I agree that Roar becomes a much safer option since common Taunt users like Gliscor and Gyarados don't match up well against Vaporeon at all, allowing it to become an effective answer by phazing shit like Kingdra and Suicune. But Gen V brought along an array of viable Taunt users as well, such as Kurimugan, Kerudio and Burunkeru, Pokemon that Vaporeon would otherwise switch in with impunity on. I'm afraid Roar would be dead weight against them. On the other hand a coverage move like Ice Beam or HP Electric would work because spamming Boiling Water and hoping for a 1/3 chance to burn against a Calm Mind + Taunt Kerudio isn't an idea strategy :/

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Vapereon sucks in gen 5 Vapereon's still got it. Boiling water is a huge boon for her because she now doesn't have to resort to running HP Electric to beat gyarados. The wish buff is insanely useful her and her teammates. (It now recovers half of the users HP.)

Suicune may have gotten a big buff in Water Absorb, but Vapereon is still "different" enough to be viable.
Water Absorb Suicune has its issues -- It can't use Sleep Talk because the TM is unavailable in Gen V. I can really only imagine Water Absorb being on "sweeper" versions of Suicune.

At least Water Absorb Vaporeon has a pretty good recovery method in Wish + Protect...

Hydration is one of the best things that could have happened to Vaporeon. It can Rest in the rain and wake up right away, so its loss of Sleep Talk isn't so bad.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
GAH I hate this guy SO MUCH.

Okay then, so Hydration Vaporeon can ACTUALLY do a good job with Drizzletoed if Toed dies. Not only does Vaporeon provide Wish support, but it can actually pose a decent defensive threat when spamming Boiling Water and Rest. If you don't have the appropriate supper powerful move, Vaporeon could theoretically wall you all day until Wish or Rest runs out.

Vapreon in the rain is one of the few things stopping my Trick Room team from being successful.

The eeveelutions are my favourites, so it's nice to see Vaporeon with some new toys. Hydration is neat, but I still think Water absorb is the superior ability in my opinion, as it does give him an immunity (a nice one at that). Boiling water is shaping up to be one of the best new moves ever in my opinion, and vappy uses it greatly. At 80BP, it really isn't that bad (15 below surf), and the 30% burn chance is lovely for a water type to have. Wish support has been discussed, and it appears that Vaporeon will use that well too.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water absorb
252HP/252spa/4def
Modest
-Boiling water
-Wish
-ice beam
-Protect/HP Electric/Grass

Should work out fine. Evs are what first came to me, if someone else could rework them to make this guy as tankish as possible, that'd be great. Boiling water for STAB and Burn chance, Wish for passing, Ice beam for coverage, and protect to stall burn damage, get leftovers recovery, and let you heal yourself with wish. Slashed with HP if you want more coverage.

Now this is going to be highly unconventional, but has anybody thought of sticking Hail on this thing? If you don't run a weather team then this is one of the absolute best counters you can use. Vaporean being super bulky will usually get this off and outright cripple Sand/Sun/Rain teams. Hail teams are so rare that it's perfectly justified if you ask me. You can combine it with Toxic and Protect and do a stall thing.

Cloud Zero
Vaporean@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
Hail
Toxic
Protect/Substitute/Wish
Boiling Water

Most weather teams are too vain to carry an additional Sunny Day or Rain Dance user I've found out after their Ninetails or Politoed dies.

I've been testing Vaporeon on a RainStall team and I must say Hyrdration Rest is amazing.
I used the standard Vaporeon spread with
-Rest
-Surf
-Toxic
-HP Electric/Acid Armor

Pretty simple. Rest so Vappy never dies (not quite, but pretty much).
Toxic to stall things out. Surf for STAB over Boiling Water because Vappy has nice special attack and you don't want to accidentally burn something like Blissey when you can Toxic it. HP Electric so Vappy can do it's job of stopping Gyarados. Acid Armor is just something I've been trying recently and it really makes Vappy a lot harder to kill than it already was.

oh my god i just realized wish blissey+aromatherapy equals full restore in move form. maybe very bulky vaporeon with wish+heal bell could work w/ leftovers as a much less bulky blissey with more offensive capabilities. (just a theory)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)