Omastar (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

Omastar

[Overview]

• High Special Attack and Defense, but low Speed.
  • Access to many ways to boost that Speed, like Rock Polish and Swit Swim
  • Interesting movepool, including Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Hydro Pump, Earth Power, Ice Beam and the newly introduced Shell Break.
  • Good offensive typing, but the only Rock STAB it has is AncientPower, who is outpowered by Hidden Power Rock...
[SET]
name: Rain + Shell Break
move 1: Shell Break
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 3: Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Electric] / Hidden Power [Rock]
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest
evs: 110 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe

[Set Comments]

• Incredibly powerful and fast, but still frail and weak to Mach Punch.
  • Hydro Pump provides maximum fire power, it can OHKO Blissey after Stealth Rocks damage, and it is sure OHKO after Stealth Rocks + 1 row of Spikes. Surf can be used for moe accuracy, in that case it 2HKOed it.
  • Ice Beam provides good coverage, but not on water types. Hidden Power [Grass]/[Electric] OHKOes standard Wish Vaporeon after Stealth Rocks damage, and Hidden Power [Rock] gives additionnal STAB.
[Additionnal comments]

• The EV spread is made so Omastar will reach 722 Special Attack after a Shell Break, and 732 Speed. 732 Speed is not random, however, it is made so if your opponent changes weather, you can still outspeed ScarfTar after a Shell Break.
[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 2: Protect / Ice Beam
move 3: Stealth Rock / Earth power
move 4: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
item: Focus Sash
ability: Shell Armor
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpA

[Set Comments]

• Can lead with any type of hazards, and is very effective at placing Spikes and Stealth Rock.
  • Should not be used as an inferior to Forretress : the attacking moves have the purpose to beat the foe's lead too. In case of a Rapid Spin lead, it can take it out before putting its hazards, which makes it a pretty good lead, and different from Forry.
  • Shell Armor is used over Swift Swim, since it protects it from Critical Hits that can be the difference between one and two row of Spikes. Swift Swim may seem cool against opposing Rain teams, but the fact is that even when its speed is doubled, it will remain slow compared to other Swift Swimmers.
  • Ice Beam has good coverage with Water moves if you want to give it more offensive options, but Protect is a better option to stop Fake Out.
[Additionnal Comments]

• The 80 defense EV makes Omastar impossible to be 2HKOed by Aerodactyl's Earthquake, which allow Omastar to take it out in case Hydro Pump misses, and a greater possibility to put hazards.
[Team mates and counters]

• Politoed is probably the first thing someone should think when using Omastar, because it doubles its speed, and can help it set-up with Encore.
  • Celebi covers every weaknesses Omastar has, and it calls for Fire and Ice attacks that Omastar resists.
  • Weather changers, especially Ninetales, can be a huge problem for Omastar, since they cut its speed by half. However, if Omastar has a Shell Break and carries Hidden Power [Rock], it is able to punish it.
  • Roobushin, Lucario and other Fight priority user can outspeed and deal massive damage Omastar with their respective move. Scizor, with its powerful Bullet Punch, can also KO it easily.
  • The lead set has problems with Infernape leads, so a Ghost typed partner can be useful, like Gengar or Shandera.
  • Latias can survive all moves when Omastar has no boosts, and if it is scarfed it can outspeed and KO with the appropriate move.
    Birijion can do same.
  • Nattorei can wall it, but it has to watch out for +2 Life Orb Hydro Pump in rain.
[Dream World]

• Omastar gets the ability Breakable Armour, but Swift Swim is better, since Omastar is not as good when there is no rain.
  • Omastar gets another counter from Dream World : Technician Breloom.

Scizor's Bullet Punch can't KO Omastar at -1; it does 65.3% - 76.9%, but it's like Salamence v. Scizor again. Omastar will always survive SR + 1 Life Orb recoil and Scizor's Bullet Punch, but will die from Life Orb recoil after KOing Scizor.

The same applies with Roopushin, and Omastar will survive at -1. It will have trouble surviving SpecsLuke, though.

I've been using a lead Omastar with HUGE success. Omastar can lay down TSpikes, which usually suprises the opponent (they almost never taunt). Omastar can also OHKO Physically defensive Hippowdon with Hydro Pump. Omastar OHKOs Dragonite with Ice Beam. Omastar is physically bulky and can take a hit from the physical side.

Here's the set
--Hydro Pump
--Ice Beam
--Earth Power (for poison types and coverage)
--Toxic Spikes / Spikes / SR
252 HP / 80 Def (ensures Aerodactyl can't 2HKO) / 176 SpAtk
Swift Swim
Modest
Focus Sash

I remember I made a lead set with its new Dream World ability which was meant to get fast Spikes up and have some speed to actually outrun stuff and deal damage, before the rest of the team actually comes to work. I don't know how it looked exactly but I think it was like:

Omastar @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Boiling Water / Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Grass
Spikes

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Don't think it can work well, cause most leads won't attack Omastar right off the bat...

I think I'm finished with the skeleton.

Lati@s also resist Ground, Fighting, Grass, and Electric, and they're a bit more common. Should be mentioned.

What does Ice Beam do on the lead set? You should be spiking on Erufuun, and Leadnites are rare. Should be a slash imo. Protect on the lead set stops Fake Out.

Also, in the counters section I feel Nattorei should get a special mention for walling this thing to no end. It's also able to OHKO back with Power Whip (did not do calcs but 4x 120BP STAB..), or Twave a switch-in, or plainly set up on Omastar, which makes it a complete counter as it can in fact do many things back too.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
Thanks. I also fell Birijion can take few damage from Ice Beam, adding it into counters. But I calced Life Orb +2 Hydro Pump in Rain (After a Shell Break) and it OHKOes 0/0 Latias, even without Stealth Rocks.

QC please?

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
Well, give us your source... But would be weird, since a lot of pokemon in 3rd gen used Hidden Power as their main STAB move (Gyarados, Salamence)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)