Stoutland (Analysis)

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

<p>In spite of its shallow movepool and average Attack stat, Stoutland stands unabashed amidst the powerhouses of OU, like a shaggy terrier in the company of foxhounds. A well-distributed stat spread and access to the excellent ability Sand Rush allow it to function as an incredibly fast and reasonably bulky revenge killer. Unfortunately, it doesn't have access to any powerful Fighting- or Ground-type attacks, and as such will often struggle to break through bulky Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon. Thankfully, that will rarely hinder its admirable revenge killing capabilities.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Crunch / Pursuit
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Ice Fang / Wild Charge
ability: Sand Rush
nature: Adamant
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While under the effects of a sandstorm, Stoutland hits an impressive 492 Attack and 518 Speed. STAB Return is your main attack here - not only is it useful for revenge killing threats such as Dragon Dance Salamence and Quiver Dance Volcarona, but also serves as a powerful, reliable attack to clean up with late-game. Crunch hits Ghost-types hard, but should your team be in dire need of a Pursuit user, Stoutland's combination of blistering Speed and immunity to Ghost-type attacks makes it a respectable candidate. Fire Fang, although weak, is your best option against Steel-types. Fire Fang most notably maims Ferrothorn, who loses up to 91% of its health, assuming the standard spread. Ice Fang deals heavy damage to Gliscor, whilst Wild Charge provides the 2HKO on Skarmory and allows you to reliably revenge kill bulky variants of Dragon Dance Gyarados.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given Speed EVs allow Stoutland to outspeed max Speed Deoxys-S, while an Adamant nature is used to get the most out of Stoutland's average Attack stat. A Jolly nature is not as effective as most Pokemon that can hit 518 Speed will most likely be looking to outspeed max Speed Sand Rush Excadrill, meaning that, even with a Jolly nature, they will be out of Stoutland's reach. Life Orb can be used in place of Choice Band if you're not a huge fan of Choice items; however, the drop in power is really noticeable and the 10% recoil from the Life Orb hampers Stoutland's decent defenses.</p>

<p>Since Sand Rush is needed for Stoutland to function at all, sandstorm support is absolutely essential. Hippowdon and Tyranitar can both provide an infinite sandstorm, but be careful if you choose Tyranitar as you'll be doubling up on Fighting-type weaknesses. Like most attackers, Stoutland also appreciates entry hazard support, especially in the form of Stealth Rock. Without Stealth Rock, Return falls short of an outright OHKO on Dragon Dance Salamence, maxing out at 98%. Sandstorm teams usually have no trouble finding room for Stealth Rock, especially if they choose to use Hippowdon. Other options include Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Swampert.</p>

<p>Should you be looking for Stoutland to secure a late-game sweep with Return, it's important to eliminate the opponent's Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-types. Stoutland can use Pursuit to eliminate frail Ghost-types itself, but it will need team support to deal with the bulkier variants. Conkeldurr makes an ideal partner in this regard as, between its Fighting-type STAB and Payback, it can deal hefty damage to Rock-, Steel-, and Ghost-types. While few things will outspeed Stoutland, its Normal typing leaves it vulnerable to Mach Punch users such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Hitmontop. Physical walls such as Hippowdon and Skarmory will have no problems dealing with these, but a more offensively inclined team might prefer to use a Choice Specs Latios or a mixed Salamence.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>You may choose to opt for Retaliate to assist Stoutland in its revenge killing duties. If Stoutland comes in after a teammate has fainted, Retaliate becomes a 140 BP STAB attack. This allows it to OHKO even bulky sweepers such as Mew, as well as dealing up to 93% to 252 HP Conkeldurr. Stoutland can boost its Attack with Work Up or Howl. However, there are generally better options out there if you want a set-up sweeper, most notably Excadrill, who has higher Attack and Speed and a wider movepool. If you're not using a Choice item, you may consider Charm, Yawn, or Thunder Wave, as they can all be quite annoying to your opponent coming from such a fast Pokemon. Sand Rush grants Stoutland immunity to sandstorm damage. Unfortunately, the popularity of priority attacks makes it very difficult to sweep with such a set. Intimidate is a good ability, but once again there are better options for that so it's probably best to stick with Sand Rush.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Like most Choice Banders, the best counters to Stoutland are incredibly bulky physical walls or just good ol' fashioned prediction. Skarmory can easily come in on Stoutland and proceed to set up entry hazards but needs to be cautious of Wild Charge. Ferrothorn finds itself in a similar situation with Fire Fang. Other physical walls like Hippowdon and Suicune make for good initial switch-ins, but they are often 3HKOed by Return and won't be able to take down Stoutland before they themselves are taken down. Tyranitar is a good offensive counter as its Rock-typing and excellent physical Defense allow it to shrug off anything Stoutland throws at it. The same can be said of Rhyperior and, to a lesser extent, Terrakion. Like all Choice Banders, it can be used as set-up fodder if it finds itself locked into the wrong attack. An example would be Excadrill setting up on a Stoutland locked into Crunch, Pursuit, or Wild Charge. Just try to make sure that the Pokemon that's setting up won't be vulnerable to a Stoutland revenge kill two turns later.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Stoutland gets Scrappy as its Dream World ability. Like Intimidate, Scrappy is a generally sought-after ability that Stoutland can use to good effect, but it just isn't worth the loss of Sand Rush. Scrappy Stoutland will likely live in the shadow of Kangaskhan, who is a slightly better user of the ability due to her higher Speed and access to Fighting-type attacks.</p>

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This is finished now. Just two quick notes:

i) If using this on PO be sure to adjust the happiness in the Advanced Window option to get the best out of Return. Alternatively, just use Frustration.

ii) The 'shaggy terrier in the company of foxhounds' quote in the overview is a Northern England saying used to describe something that stands proud and unashamed in the midst of apparently superior things. I thought it particularly relevant given his likely origins.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The 'shaggy terrier in the company of foxhounds' quote in the overview is a Northern England saying
I've never heard of such a saying.

Then again, it's me.

E: I'm not a big football fan so that's probably why I haven't heard it.

Sorry for slightly hijacking this, it is a nice saying!

Lee

@ Thick Club
Trust the only other Geordie (allegedly!) here to call me out on it. -_-

It originated in Cumbria in the 1950's, first used by Alfred Wainwright MBE in his Lake District pictorial guides. Second paragraph here. I've heard it tossed around in the context of football matches and whatnot. It's a nice quote and it's painstakingly relevant to Muurando so I'd like it to stay! :toast:

(excuse the off-topicness, just thought it best to explain it)

I like Muurando. I have honestly been formulating a somewhat of a gimmicky set for it, all theorymon, absolutely not materialized in my PO account yet :P.

Muurando@Leftovers
Impish Nature
Intimidate
252HP/252Def/4Atk
-Return
-Yawn
-Thunder Wave
-Wild Bolt
I haven't really thought out the moves fully, just the bare-bones concept of it. Basically, come in on a physical sweeper and get the Intimidate off, crippling it. Return for STAB, Yawn to force more switches or even put something to sleep, Thunder Wave to cripple sweepers when something's already put to sleep, and Wild Bolt for some type of coverage. Once again just a gimmick, but might have a teeny tiny niche somewhere.

breh

強いだね
get rid of pursuit and retribution slashes and then it looks good enough.

Marioman's suggestion of t-wave seems like viable theorymon to test.

Such a pity it gets no setup moves like bulk up or SD.

lower the speed to garchomp level (a few (app. 28) evs can be removed and you still outspeed); no scarfed pokes past that really so just stick it in bulk.

Lee

@ Thick Club
@Marioman - Yawn and Thunder Wave are in OC, I reckon that will suffice. A physically defensive Normal type isn't too helpful in this Fighting-heavy metagame.

@Breludicolo - why do you think I should drop Pursuit and Retribution? I originally had 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe to outrun Scarfchomp but then decided to bump it up to 228 Spe to outrun Deoxys-S, at which point I decided I 'may as well' just max it to speed tie with +2 Adamant Blaziken.

@ Buba - He is immune to SS damage...I mentioned that in OC.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but Doruuzu's movepool is far worse than Muurando's. Doryuuzu's Swords Dance set is Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Return. And his CB and Scarf set are the same, except they have Rapid Spin over Swords Dance. How is this anywhere near better than Muurando's, who has Pursuit, Crunch, Fire Fang and Wild Bolt along with STAB Return?

As for the set, what exactly is "Retribution?" I looked it up on Serebii, but the only thing I see that comes close to that is "Vengeance." Anyways, you could always mention how Ice Fang can work on the set so you you won't be screwed if your Stealth Rocker dies and they Spin your rocks away, just a thought.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Retribution is the romanised version we are required to use.

Doryuuzu's movepool is clearly better with regards to a boosting role (which is the context I said it in), because QuakeSlide + utility move and Swords Dance is a whole lot better than Muurando's Cheer Up + Return/Fire Fang/Crunch.

I use Muurando on my team and he's pretty good at revenge killing, even sweeping. When they think they've revenge killed my doryuuzu, they got revenge killed by Muurando. What makes him so awesome is that he is quite bulky and can score many ohkos, especially under sandstorm, he's the one that kills opponents water pokes.

Striker (Muurando) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Frustration
- Ice Fang
- Wild bolt
- Fire Fang

Bloo

Banned deucer.
This looks good, Lee. There honestly isn't much else Muurando can pull off and I couldn't find anything wrong with the content of your OP. Everything this guy can do seems to be covered thoroughly, so good job!

QC APPROVED (1/2)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC APPROVED (2/2)

Lee, please indicate in the title that this has already passed the QC stage and it's ready for GP checks. Good work.

Eh, even though I'm not a part of the GP Team, I want to try and proofread this and help out a bit.

If you guys aren't OK with this, just tell me and I'll stop. Since this hasn't been touched in a while though, I thought that I should contribute and help the GP team out a little :P.

Additions/Changes are in Blue
Removals are in Red
Additional comments are like (This).

[OVERVIEW]

In spite of his poor shallow movepool and only average Attack stat (capitalize the A in attack), Muurando stands unabashed amidst the powerhouses of OU, like a shaggy terrier in the company of foxhounds. A well-distributed stat spread and access to the excellent ability, Sand Throw, (flipped "ability" and "Sand Throw") allow it to function as an incredibly fast and reasonably bulky revenge killer. Unfortunately, it doesn't have access to any powerful Fighting- or Ground-type attacks and as such, will often struggle to break through bulky Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon but,. Thankfully, that will rarely hinder it's admirable revenge killing capabilities.

[SET]
move 4: Wild Bolt / Retribution
ability: Sand Throw

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> In While under the effects of a Sandstorm, Muurando has hits an impressive 492 Attack and 518 Speed. STAB Return is your main attack option here; it is not only is it useful for revenge killing threats such as Dragon Dance Salamence and Butterfly Dance Urugamosu, but it also serves as a powerful, reliable attack to clean up with late-game cleaning purposes. Crunch lands a hard hit on hits Ghost-types hard, but should your team be in dire need of a Pursuit user, Muurando's combination of blistering Speed and immunity to Ghost-type attacks make it a respectable candidate. Fire Fang, although reasonably weak, is your best option against Steel-types, the most notable of which is Nattorei who, assuming a standard 252 HP / 60 Def spread, loses up to 99% of it's health. Wild Bolt OHKO's 4/0 Manaphy after Stealth Rock, provides the 2HKO on 2HKOs Skarmory, and allows you to reliably revenge kill bulky variants of Dragon Dance Gyarados. but you may choose to opt for Retribution instead to assist Muurando in it's revenge killing duties. However, Retribution is an interesting alternative; for example, If should Muurando come in the turn after a teammate has fainted, Retribution becomes a 140 BP STAB attack, allowing it to OHKO even bulky sweepers such as Garchomp and Mew, as well as dealing up to 93% to 252 HP Roopushin.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given Speed EVs allow Muurando to outspeed Jolly Choice Scarf Garchomp and max Speed Deoxys-S, and while an Adamant nature is chosen used to get the most out of Muurando's average Attack stat. A Jolly nature won't provide too many benefits is not as effective, as most Pokemon who can get to more than that can hit 518 Speed will often most likely be looking to outspeed max Speed Sand Throw Doryuuzu, in the process meaning that, even with a Jolly nature, they will be out of Muurando's reach. Life Orb can be used in place of Choice Band if you're not a huge fan of Choice items; but however, that 20% drop in power is really quite noticeable and the 10% recoil from the Life Orb compromises hampers Muurando's decent defenses. <p>

[Team Options]

<p> Since Sand Throw is the only thing saving needed for Muurando from mediocrity to function at all, Sandstorm support is absolutely essential. Hippowdon and Tyranitar can both provide this an infinite Sandstorm , but be careful if you choose Tyranitar as you'll be doubling up on Fighting weaknesses. Like most attackers, he Muurando also appreciates entry hazard support, especially in the form of Stealth Rocks. Without Stealth Rocks, Return falls agonizingly short of an outright OHKO on Dragon Dance Salamence maxing out at 98%. Sandstorm teams usually have no trouble fitting in a Stealth Rock user on their team, especially if they choose to use Hippowdon. Other viable options include Skarmory, Nattorei, Forretress, and Swampert.<p>

<p>Should you be looking for Muurando to secure a late game sweep with Return, it's important to eliminate enemy the opponent's Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-types. Muurando can use Pursuit to eliminate frail Ghost-types itself, but he will need some team support to deal with the bulkier variants. Roopushin Roobushin makes an ideal partner in this regard as, between it's powerful Fighting STAB and Payback, it can deal hefty damage to Rocks, Steels and Ghosts. Whilst few things will outspeed Muurando, it's Normal-typing leaves it vulnerable to Mach Punch users such as Roopushin Roobushin, Breloom, and Hitmontop. A Physical walls such as Hippowdon or and Skarmory will have no problems dealing with these threats, but a more offensively inclined team might prefer to deal with them with a Choice Specs Latios or a mixed Salamence.<p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Muurando can boost it's Attack with Cheer Up or Howl, but there are generally better options out there if you want to go down that route, most notably Doryuuzu, who has better higher Attack and Speed and a wider movepool. If you're not using a Choice item, then you may want to consider Charm, Yawn or Thunder Wave, as they can all (flipped the "can" and the "all") be quite annoying to your opponent, coming from such a fast Pokemon. Since Sand Throw grants Muurando an immunity to Sandstorm damage, you may be able to get some mileage out of a Reversal set with a Liechi Berry. Unfortunately, the wild popularity of priority attacks will makes it very difficult to sweep with such a setup. Intimidate is a good ability, but once again, there are better options in that role for that so it's probably best to stick with Sand Throw. Muurando also learns Ice Fang, and it which can be used to deal heavy damage to Gliscor; but however it doesn't do a great deal outside of that as Return and Retribution deal with the Dragon-types adequately.<p>

[Counters]

Like most Choice Banders, the best counters to Muurando is an are incredibly bulky physical walls or just good ol' fashioned prediction. Skarmory can easily come in on most of Muurando's attacks and proceed to set up entry hazards, but needs to be cautious around wary of Wild Bolt. Nattorei is in finds himself in an almost identical equally favorable situation,; however, it needs to be wary of except Fire Fang is it's kryptonite instead. Other physical walls like such as Hippowdon and Suicune make for good initial switch-ins, but they are often 3HKO'd by Return and won't be able to take down Muurando before they themselves are taken down. Tyranitar is a good offensiveminded counter as his Rock-typing and excellent physical defense allows him to shrug off anything Muurando can throws at him. The same can be said for Rhyperior and, to a slightly lesser extent, Terakion. Like all Choice Banders, he can be used as set-up fodder if he finds himself locked into the wrong attack. An example would be Doryuuzu setting up on a Muurando locked into Crunch, Pursuit, or Wild Bolt. Just try to make sure that the Pokemon that's setting up won't be vulnerable to a Muurando revenge kill getting revenge by Muurando two turns later.

[Dream World]

Muurando gets Scrappy in the as its Dream World ability. Like Intimidate, Scrappy is a generally sought-after ability that Muurando can use to good effect, but it just isn't worth trading in Sand Throw for. Scrappy Muurando will likely live in the shadow of Kangaskhan who is a slightly better user of the ability due to her higher Speed and access to Fighting-type attacks.

I slowed down near the end there, sorry about that :P.

I hope I helped though, Hipmonlee and GP team.

Under it's Dream World, there should be mention of it as a Last Resort abuser. I've used this to great success on Pokemon Online

Stoutland@Leftovers
Jolly(+Spd,-SpA)
Ability-Scrappy
-Protect
-Last Resort

This is amazingly handy! With Scrappy, Stoutland can single-handedly plow through many typical attackers. Many will switch in a Gengar or Chandelure to try and counter Stoutland's Normal attacks, forgeting that he is Scrappy. This helps for an easy sweeper KO! It's gimmicky, but helpful. Great recipient of Shell Break, but falls to Steel and Rock.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just noticed this - Isn't the speed boosting ability in sandstorm called Sand Rush, and the one that boosts rock/ground/steel attacks Sand Throw/Force? Just wanted to clarify in case that was your intention in the writeup, since it would have to be Sand Rush to reach that speed on the CB set.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Yeah, it's still using the old Japanese translations. I need to update this (and Escavalier for that matter...).

Yeah, it's still using the old Japanese translations. I need to update this (and Escavalier for that matter...).
Don't touch that dial!

I was already on this with an unofficial GP check. Unfortunately, my computer thought it would be FUCKING AWESOME to surprise me with a bluescreen in the middle of it.

I'll do it (again) when I wake up in like 9 hours. GOOD NIGHT/MORNING.

-Zane

P.S. If you'd like, I could do Escavalier for you, as well. That'd make the three unofficial GP checks for me.

This is okay.
Go away!
I have stuff to say...

[OVERVIEW]

In spite of his its (stick with one pronoun) poor movepool and only average attack, Muurando Stoutland stands unabashed amidst the powerhouses of OU, like a shaggy terrier in the company of foxhounds. A well-distributed stat spread and access to the excellent Sand Throw ability allow it to function as an incredibly fast and reasonably bulky (my opinion, but I don't know if you'd call Stoutland bulky. maybe "rather durable" is more accurate) revenge killer. Unfortunately, it doesn't have access to any powerful Fighting- or Ground-type attacks and as such, will often struggle to break through bulky Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon. (period) but, thankfully, But thanks to ______, (you don't indicate why it won't be an issue... maybe "the abundance of Ground-type attacks that come along with sandstorm support" or something. I don't really understand.) that will rarely hinder it's admirable revenge killing capabilities.

[SET]
move 4: Wild Bolt Wild Charge / Retribution Retaliate
ability: Sand Throw Sand Rush

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> In a Sandstorm sandstorm, Muurando Stoutland has an impressive 492 Attack and 518 Speed. STAB Return is your main attack here - it is not only useful for revenge killing threats such as Dragon Dance Salamence and Butterfly Dance Urugamosu Volcarona, (comma) but it also serves as a powerful, reliable attack for late-game cleaning purposes. Crunch lands a hard hit on Ghost-types, (comma) but should your team be in dire need of a Pursuit user, Muurando's Stoutland's combination of blistering Speed and immunity to Ghost-type attacks Ghost-type immunity make it a respectable candidate. Fire Fang, although reasonably weak, is your best option against Steel-types,. (period) the most notable of which is Nattorei who, assuming a 252 HP / 60 Def spread, loses up to 99% of it's health. Fire Fang most notably harms Ferrothorn, who loses up to 90.91% of its health, assuming the standard spread. (standard Ferrothorn is 252/48 with a Relaxed nature. I did the calculation for you, if you'd like to update it) Wild Bolt OHKO's 4/0 Manaphy after Stealth Rock, (uber now) provides the 2HKO on Skarmory and allows you to reliably revenge kill bulky variants of Dragon Dance Gyarados. (period) but However, you may choose to opt for Retribution Retaliate instead to assist Muurando Stoutland in it's revenge killing duties. If Muurando Stoutland comes in after a teammate has fainted, Retribution Retaliate becomes a 140 BP STAB attack. (period) This allowing allows it to OHKO even bulky sweepers such as Garchomp and Mew, (comma) as well as dealing up to 93% to 252 HP Roopushin max HP Conkeldurr.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs allow Muurando Stoutland to outspeed Jolly Choice Scarf Garchomp and max Speed Deoxys-S, (comma) and an Adamant nature is chosen to get the most out of Muurando's average Attack stat. A Jolly nature won't provide too many benefits as most Pokemon who can get to more than 518 Speed will often be looking to outspeed max Speed Sand Throw Doryuuzu Rush Excadrill in the process. (period) meaning that, This means that even with a Jolly nature, they will be out of Muurando's Stoutland's reach. Life Orb can be used in place of Choice Band if you're not a huge fan of Choice items but that 20% drop in power is really noticeable and the 10% recoil from the Life Orb compromises Muurando's Stoutland's decent defenses. <p>

[Team Options] (I won't mark this lazily as all red. this is perfectly usable in the Additional Comments section. corrected it for you, though.)

<p> Since Sand Throw Rush is the only thing saving Muurando Stoutland from mediocrity, Sandstorm sandstorm support is absolutely essential. Hippowdon and Tyranitar can both provide this, but be careful if you choose Tyranitar as you'll be doubling up on Fighting weaknesses. Like most attackers, he Stoutland also appreciates entry hazard support, especially in the form of Stealth Rock. Without Stealth Rock, Return falls agonisingly short of an outright OHKO on Dragon Dance Salamence, (comma) maxing out at 98%. Sandstorm teams usually have no trouble fitting finding room for Stealth Rock on their team, especially if they choose to use Hippowdon. Other options include Skarmory, Nattorei Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Swampert. (honestly, I'm surprised Swampert is still getting any OU mentions... poor guy.)<p>

<p>Should you be looking for Muurando Stoutland to secure a late game sweep with Return, it's important to eliminate enemy Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-types. Muurando Stoutland can use Pursuit to eliminate frail Ghost-types itself, (comma) but he it will need team support to deal with the bulkier variants. Roopushin Conkeldurr makes an ideal partner in this regard as, between it's Fighting-type STAB and Payback, it can deal hefty damage to Rocks, Steels and Ghosts. Whilst few things will outspeed Muurando Stoutland, it's its Normal-typing leaves it vulnerable to Mach Punch users such as Roopushin Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Hitmontop. A physical wall such as Hippowdon or Skarmory will have no problems dealing with these threats, (comma) but a more offensive team might prefer to deal with them with use a Choice Specs Latios or a mixed Salamence.<p>

[Optional Changes] [Other Options]

<p>Muurando Stoutland can boost it's Attack with Cheer Up or Howl. (period) but However, there are generally better options out there if you want to go down that route, a set-up sweeper, most notably Doryuuzu Excadrill who has better Attack and Speed and a wider (maybe "more relevent", or "stronger"?) movepool. If you're not using a Choice item, (comma) then you may want to consider Charm, Yawn or Thunder Wave, (comma) as they all can be quite annoying coming from such a fast Pokemon. Since Sand Throw Rush grants Muurando Stoutland an immunity to Sandstorm damage, you it may be able to get some mileage out of a Reversal set with a Liechi Berry. Unfortunately, the wild popularity of priority attacks will make it very difficult to sweep with such a setup. Intimidate is a good ability, but once again there are better options in that role so it's probably best to stick with Sand Throw Rush. Muurando Stoutland learns Ice Fang, and it can be used to deal heavy damage to Gliscor, (comma) but it doesn't do a great deal outside of that as Return and Retribution Retaliate deal with the Dragon-types adequately.<p>

[Counters] [Checks & Counters]

Like most Choice Banders, the best counter to Muurando Stoutland is an incredibly bulky physical wall or just good ol' fashioned prediction. Skarmory can easily come in on Muurando and set up entry hazards but needs to be cautious around of Wild Bolt. Nattorei Ferrothorn is in an almost identical situation, except Fire Fang is it's kryptonite. Other physical walls like Hippowdon and Suicune make for good initial switch-ins, (comma) but they are often 3HKO'd by Return and won't be able to take down Muurando Stoutland before they themselves are taken down. Tyranitar is a good offensive minded counter as his Rock-typing and excellent physical defense allows him to shrug off anything Muurando can throw at him. The same can be said for of Rhyperior and, to a slightly lesser extent, Terakion Terrakion. Like all Choice Banders, he Stoutland can be used as set-up fodder if he finds himself locked into the wrong attack. An example would be Doryuuzu Excadrill setting up on a Muurando Stoutland locked into Crunch, Pursuit, or Wild Bolt. Just try to make sure that the Pokemon that's setting up won't be vulnerable to a Muurando Stoutland revenge kill two turns later.

[Dream World]

Muurando Stoutland
gets Scrappy in the Dream World. Like Intimidate, Scrappy is a generally sought-after ability that Muurando Stoutland can use to good effect but it just isn't worth trading in Sand Throw for the loss of Sand Rush. (ended in a preposition) Scrappy Muurando Stoutland will likely live in the shadow of Kangaskhan, (comma) who is a slightly better user of the ability due to her higher Speed and access to Fighting-type attacks.
Hope that helped.

I'd also suggest replacing "Stoutland" with "the terrier" or "this canine" or other substitutions, to keep the analysis a little less repetitive. (You're lucky. All I could use to describe Dugtrio in my analysis was "triple mole". lol.)

-Zane

Edit: Make sure to fix the headings, and merge Teammates to Additional Comments. I would also suggest using normal capitalization of all the headers ("Overview" and "Additional Comments"). Capital letters are nasty to the eye. Oh, and change the threat title / Pokédex link at the top to be "Stoutland". k? c:

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Please change the Japanese names in this analysis to their appropriate English names. Additionally, update this thread with the new analysis format.

Thank you.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Also am zane's check is very good from what I can see (if I could actually see all of it though.) So, am zane, please bold your changes so I can give it another look over and I'll probably end up of stamping it.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

In spite of its poor movepool and only average Attack, Stoutland stands unabashed amidst the powerhouses of OU, like a shaggy terrier in the company of foxhounds. A well-distributed stat spread and access to the excellent Sand Throw ability allow it to function as an incredibly fast and reasonably bulky revenge killer. Unfortunately, it doesn't have access to any powerful Fighting- or Ground-type attacks and as such, will often struggle to break through bulky Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon but, thankfully, that will rarely hinder its admirable revenge killing capabilities.

[SET]
move 4: Ice Fang / Wild Charge
ability: Sand Rush

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> In a sandstorm, Stoutland has an impressive 492 Attack and 518 Speed. STAB Return is your main attack here - it is not only useful for revenge killing threats such as Dragon Dance Salamence and Butterfly Dance Volcarona, but it also serves as a powerful, reliable attack for late-game cleaning purposes. Crunch lands a hard hit on Ghost-types, but should your team be in dire need of a Pursuit user, Stoutland's combination of blistering Speed and immunity to Ghost-type attacks makes it a respectable candidate. Fire Fang, although reasonably weak, is your best option against Steel-types. Fire Fang most notably harms Ferrothorn, who loses up to 90.91% of its health, assuming the standard spread. Ice Fang deals heavy damage to Gliscor and OHKOs Garchomp, whilst Wild Bolt provides the 2HKO on Skarmory and allows you to reliably revenge kill bulky variants of Dragon Dance Gyarados.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs allow Stoutland to outspeed Jolly Choice Scarf Garchomp and max Speed Deoxys-S, and an Adamant nature is chosen to get the most out of Muurando's average Attack stat. A Jolly nature won't provide too many benefits as most Pokemon who can get to more than 518 Speed will often be looking to outspeed max Speed Sand Rush Excadrill in the process meaning that, even with a Jolly nature, they will be out of Stoutland's reach. Life Orb can be used in place of Choice Band if you're not a huge fan of Choice items but that 20% drop in power is really noticeable and the 10% recoil from the Life Orb compromises Stoutland's decent defenses. <p>

<p> Since Sand Rush is the only thing saving Stoutland from mediocrity, sandstorm support is absolutely essential. Hippowdon and Tyranitar can both provide this, but be careful if you choose Tyranitar as you'll be doubling up on Fighting weaknesses. Like most attackers, Stoutland also appreciates entry hazard support, especially in the form of Stealth Rock. Without Stealth Rock, Return falls agonisingly short of an outright OHKO on Dragon Dance Salamence, maxing out at 98%. Sandstorm teams usually have no trouble finding room for Stealth Rock, especially if they choose to use Hippowdon. Other options include Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Swampert.<p>

<p>Should you be looking for Stoutland to secure a late game sweep with Return, it's important to eliminate enemy Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-types. Stoutland can use Pursuit to eliminate frail Ghost-types itself, but it will need team support to deal with the bulkier variants. Conkeldurr makes an ideal partner in this regard as, between its Fighting STAB and Payback, it can deal hefty damage to Rocks, Steels and Ghosts. Whilst few things will outspeed Stoutland, its Normal typing leaves it vulnerable to Mach Punch users such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Hitmontop. A physical wall such as Hippowdon or Skarmory will have no problems dealing with these but a more offensive team might prefer to use a Choice Specs Latios or a mixed Salamence.<p>

[Other Options]

<p>You may choose to opt for Retaliate on the Choice Band set to assist Stoutland in its revenge killing duties. If Stoutland comes in after a teammate has fainted, Retaliate becomes a 140 BP STAB attack. This allows it to OHKO even bulky sweepers such as Garchomp and Mew, as well as dealing up to 93% to 252 HP Conkeldurr. Stoutland can boost its Attack with Work Up or Howl. However, there are generally better options out there if you want a set-up sweeper, most notably Excadrill who has better Attack and Speed and a wider movepool. If you're not using a Choice item, you may consider Charm, Yawn or Thunder Wave as they all can be quite annoying coming from such a fast Pokemon. Since Sand Rush grants Stoutland an immunity to Sandstorm damage, it may be able to get some mileage out of a Reversal set with a Liechi Berry. Unfortunately, the wild popularity of priority attacks will make it very difficult to sweep with such a set. Intimidate is a good ability, but once again there are better options in that role so it's probably best to stick with Sand Rush.<p>

[Checks and Counters]

Like most Choice Banders, the best counter to Stoutland is an incredibly bulky physical wall or just good ol' fashioned prediction. Skarmory can easily come in on Stoutland and set up entry hazards but needs to be cautious of Wild Charge. Ferrothorn is in an almost identical situation, except Fire Fang is its kryptonite. Other physical walls like Hippowdon and Suicune make for good initial switch-ins, but they are often 3HKOed by Return and won't be able to take down Muurando before they themselves are taken down. Tyranitar is a good offensive minded counter as its Rock-typing and excellent physical defense allow it to shrug off anything Muurando can throw at it. The same can be said of Rhyperior and, to a slightly lesser extent, Terrakion. Like all Choice Banders, it can be used as set-up fodder if it finds itself locked into the wrong attack. An example would be Excadrill setting up on a Stoutland locked into Crunch, Pursuit, or Wild Charge. Just try to make sure that the Pokemon that's setting up won't be vulnerable to a Stoutland revenge kill two turns later.

[Dream World]

Stoutland gets Scrappy in the Dream World. Like Intimidate, Scrappy is a generally sought-after ability that Stoutland can use to good effect but it just isn't worth the loss of Sand Rush. Scrappy Stoutland will likely live in the shadow of Kangaskhan, who is a slightly better user of the ability due to her higher Speed and access to Fighting-type attacks.
Since Zane has not put his changes in bold and Oglemi has not stamped this in around two weeks, I figured I'd just give it a quick check (besides I'm always hesistant to have two stamped checks from non-gp members). This is very good.

GP check 2/2

Your example of a 2hko on Salamence (Dragon Dance variants) dealing 98% damage is kind of moot because Sandstorm will KO it at the end of the turn. Yes, Stoutland will likely die from Salamence's Attacks after it survives, but it is important to remember that Salamence wont make it the next turn either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)