Heatran (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

I’ve written nearly 2500 words (and that’s not counting Tormentran) in MS Word, risked being sent to live with my other parent (in another country!), all so I can write a Smogon analysis? I really need to do something better with my life.

Information link

[Overview]

<p>Heatran is one of the defining Steel-types of the fifth generation. Its high defenses, impressive Special Attack, and solid typing make it a potent threat, which no team can ignore without consequence. On the other side of the coin, however, its typing gives it three common weaknesses to Water, Fighting and Ground, along with its sub-par speed, which means that Heatran can often be outsped and OHKOed before it can attack. Even with these drawbacks, Heatran enjoys a solid place in the fifth generation’s OU tier, being capable of taking on major players of the new metagame, including Nattorei, Urugamosu and Shandera.</p>

[SET]
name: Non-Choice Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power [Ice]
move 4: Stealth Rock / Nitro Charge
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
item: Balloon / Life Orb
ability: Flash Fire

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Heatran set takes a slower route that relies on its immunities to switch in and fire off powerful attacks from the safety of a Balloon. With its balloon intact, it is a useful counter for threats like Doryuuzu (barring the rare Brick Break or a Rock Slide flinch) and Gliscor.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is a safer option when using a Balloon, as your immunity to Ground-type moves reduces the risk of being immediately KOed. Earth Power and Dragon Pulse retain their former uses as excellent coverage moves, and see more use here, as Heatran is free to choose its attacks. Hidden Power [Ice] is useful for dealing with dangerous Ground-types like Gliscor, which can outspeed, pop Heatran’s Balloon with Acrobat, Fling or Rock Slide and then KO with Earthquake, as Heatran cannot OHKO without Hidden Power [Ice]. Stealth Rock is useful in the last slot because of Heatran’s ability to force switches, but Nitro Charge can be used to potentially sweep - but even with a Speed boost, Heatran can still be easily walled by Water-types and Blissey. If you are using a Life Orb, keep in mind that the extra power comes at the cost of being easily OHKOed by many common threats like Doryuuzu, Gliscor and Hippowdon. </p>

<p>The EVs maximize Heatran’s speed and attacking potential. As an alternative, 245 Speed (requiring 220 Speed EVs) beats defensive Pokemon aiming to outspeed max Speed Tyranitar, including Celebi and Jirachi. A Timid nature and 244 Speed EVs outpace Adamant Doryuuzu outside of the sandstorm; as Sand Stream users almost always accompany Doryuuzu, this is not recommended. </p>

<p>Balloon Heatran’s largest problems are Fighting-types like Roopushin that ignore its Balloon and instead punch it in the face. Psychic-types like Mew, Celebi, Rankurusu and Espeon can all serve as useful partners, packing super effective Psychic-type moves and a resistance to Fighting. Celebi is of particular note, as it resists Heatran’s Water and Ground weaknesses as well. This set’s propensity to force switches means entry hazards are a must. Forretress and Deoxys-S can both set up multiple forms of entry hazard, spin them away or reflect them back with Magic Coat.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Fire Blast / Overheat
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power [Ice]
move 4: Dark Pulse
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
item: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Scarf Heatran sacrifices flexibility to gain a much needed boost to its lackluster 77 base Speed, allowing it to outspeed and KO threats like Swords Dance Garchomp, Jirachi, and bulky Dragonite.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is the preferred STAB move on this set, allowing for multiple strong hits on opponents like Urugamosu. Overheat loses power quickly, but can be used for an initially more powerful hit. Earth Power hits opposing Fire-types that might attempt to soak up a Fire Blast, including opposing Heatran. It also hits Electric-types like Jolteon more reliably than Fire Blast. Dragon Pulse or Hidden Power [Ice] is a matter of preference – Dragon Pulse gets perfect neutral coverage with Fire Blast and Earth Power (and hits most Dragons harder than Hidden Power), but Hidden Power [Ice] guarantees OHKOs on Garchomp, Dragonite without Multi-Scale, Gliscor and Randorosu, all of which are capable of OHKOing Heatran back if they survive a Dragon Pulse. Dark Pulse hits Burungeru, Starmie and Slowbro for super-effective damage, as well as getting neutral coverage against other Water-types. Hidden Power [Electric] is also viable to hit Gyarados, but be cautious – highly offensive sets will outspeed you after a Dragon Dance set and OHKO with Waterfall or Earthquake.</p>

<p>Timid is the recommended nature to allow Heatran to outpace +Speed base 130s like Aerodactyl and Jolteon. If these Pokemon do not threaten your team, the extra power of Modest is also an option – if you do choose to use a Modest nature, using Overheat is a good idea to guarantee a OHKO on 252/0 Roopushin.</p>

<p>The EVs are simple but effective – Heatran’s Special Attack is maximized to cause as much damage as possible, its Speed is also maximized to let it outpace as many threats as possible, and the remaining EVs are placed into HP for a small increase in bulk.</p>

<p>Bulky Water-types like Burungeru are the most versatile counters to this set, walling its Fire-type moves and being able to OHKO back with Boiling Water or Surf. Electric-types like Rotom-W and Zapdos are excellent partners, being able to fry said bulky Waters with STAB Thunderbolt. Rotom-W also gets excellent defensive synergy with Heatran, resisting Water and being immune to Ground; while Zapdos has the same Ground immunity and resists Fighting-type moves. Ground-types, especially Swampert, can also switch into Heatran with relative impunity (barring HP [Grass]) and set up Stealth Rock or OHKO it with Earthquake. Starmie can blow away these entry hazards with Rapid Spin and unleash powerful Water-type moves at these foes. Roopushin and other Fighting-types may struggle to switch in, but if they do get in safely they can OHKO the volcanic slug with Mach Punch. Psychic-types like Espeon and Rankurusu can happily switch into these weak Fighting-type moves and OHKO back with Psychic or Psycho Shock. Espeon can also reflect attempts to inflict status on Heatran, which cripples this set, thanks to Magic Mirror. However, the best overall counter is Blissey, who thanks to the change in the mechanics of Explosion is now an almost insurmountable obstacle for Heatran to overcome. Using a Fighting-type like Blaziken, Kojondo or Roopushin to remove Blissey is vital to prevent it from endlessly switching into Heatran. </p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power [Grass]
nature: Modest
evs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Specs Heatran plays more to the Pokemon’s natural strengths – boosting its already impressive Special Attack stat to astronomic levels, capable of OHKOing and 2HKOing all but the bulkiest foes with appropriate attacks.</p>

<p>Overheat is preferred here, as the extra power granted is much more relevant with a Choice Specs boost thrown into the bargain. Fire Blast is still a useful option against foes that take multiple hits to KO, however. Dragon Pulse is used rather than Hidden Power [Ice] because the foes that could take an unboosted Dragon Pulse are KOed by one enhanced with Choice Specs. Earth Power is Heatran’s best option against opposing Fire-types, and can OHKO any Electric-type in the game not immune to it. Hidden Power [Grass], with a Choice Specs boost, 2HKOes Burungeru, along with every other common Pokemon weak to Grass. </p>

<p>A Modest nature is recommended for extra power. The given EVs let Heatran outpace max Speed Tyranitar and nail it with Earth Power, which can 2HKO most sets. Special Attack is maximized, and the rest is placed into HP to give Heatran extra bulk.</p>

<p>Blissey remains the best answer to this Heatran set, being able to soak up its special moves repeatedly and heal off the damage. Toxic Spikes can cripple the pink blob, forcing it to switch out as the damage racks up. Tentacruel can absorb Water- and Fighting-type moves thrown at Heatran, spin away hazards (which pose a threat to Choice Specs Heatran, as it will get worn down much faster than other Heatran sets) and set up these valuable hazards. Forretress can perform similar duties, is not weak to Ground moves, but lacks Tentacruel’s useful resistances. Bulky Water-types also remain a threat, so a powerful user of Electric-type moves can help Heatran immensely. Jolteon’s high Speed, STAB Thunderbolt and access to Volt Change make it an excellent offensive partner to Specs Heatran, being able to eliminate dangerous fast Water-types like Starmie and scout using Volt Change. As both Pokemon are weak to Ground moves, a Balloon Jolteon is recommended, as well as other teammates immune to Ground altogether. </p>

[SET]
name: Tormentran
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Torment
move 3: Lava Plume / Taunt
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 244 HP / 40 SpD / 224 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Torment, combined with Heatran's impressive set of resistances and considerable bulk, turns Heatran into one of the toughest Pokemon to KO in the game. The idea behind this set is that not many Pokemon carry more than one attack powerful enough to break Heatran's Substitutes. With that in mind, Torment allows Heatran to stay safe by using Protect to prevent his opponent from breaking his Substitute with their STAB or super effective attack. That means that every other turn, Heatran can attack with Lava Plume for free without having to worry about being damaged. This set slowly chips away at Heatran's opponent while maintaining his Substitute at the end of the duel when they faint.<p>

<p>Lava Plume is the attacking move of choice on this set, as it has a higher burn rate than Flamethrower and the same high PP. Many normal Heatran switchins, like Gyarados, Burungeru and Terakion, hate being burnt. The damage from burning the opponent means Heatran doesn't even need to attack, and can cycle between Substitue and Protect to avoid being knocked out. Taunt, on the other hand, forgoes the ability to cripple physical attackers in order to neuter mono-attacking Pokemon like Blissey and Suicune. It also prevents Pokemon like Gyarados setting up Dragon Dance.<p>

<p>Entry hazards are absolutely vital to the success of this set; two layers of Toxic Spikes can render many otherwise threatening opponents easy prey for Heatran. As this set also forces switches regularly, Spikes and Stealth Rock are also recommended.<p>

<p>Restalkers like Suicune and Machamp are the bane of this set. Pairing Heatran with a Trick user carrying a Choice Scarf or similar item is greatly recommended; this also forces the Tricked Pokemon to Struggle on alternating turns, hastening their demise.<p>

<p>The EV spread provided hits the highest possible Leftovers number for Heatran, and since it will be getting a lot of health back from Leftovers, this is ideal. 224 Speed EVs lets you hit 245 Speed, outpacing max Speed Tyranitar and those who attempt to outspeed it, including Celebi and defensive Zapdos. This is so you can use Substitute and avoid paralysis from Thunder Wave, as it cripples even a defensive Heatran. The rest are placed into Special Defense for extra bulk.<p>

<p>The largest threats to this set are opposing Heatran which lack a Choice item and CroCune. Great team mates for Heatran are Celebi, who can beat the latter with ease, and Tyranitar, who can summon a sandstorm to futher deplete your opponent's health while leaving Heatran untouched.<p>

[Other Options]

<p>Heatran’s movepool is quite large but not particularly varied. Lava Plume is useful for more defensive teams that seek burn support, but the drop in power makes it unviable on more offensive sets. Flash Cannon has STAB, but gets terrible coverage and the only real Pokemon of note it hits particularly hard are Tyranitar and Aerodactyl. Heatran’s decent base 90 Attack could be used for a surprise physical set; but without an Attack-boosting move, its potential is very limited. Shuca Berry can be used to bluff a Choice item and helps against Heatran's Ground weakness, but with Heatran's vulnerability to two other common attacking types, it may not be particularly useful, especially compared to Balloon's complete immunity.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Heatran appreciates entry hazards to allow it to gain OHKOs and 2HKOs on select targets. Forretress, Tentacruel and Nattorei are all viable, although the latter two share weaknesses with Heatran. Any Pokemon capable of removing Blissey and bulky Water-types will find itself to be a natural partner for Heatran – Breloom has good synergy with Heatran, can use Spore to disable important members of your opponents’ team, and Focus Punch to remove Blissey. Electivire and Shibirudon can achieve the same, but are generally less effective.</p>

<p>Celebi is famous for being arguably the best teammate for Heatran in the game, creating the well-known ‘Celetran’ duo. They cover each other’s weaknesses perfectly, as well as being capable of removing threats to each other with aplomb. Fighting-types that attempt to KO Heatran instead receive a STAB Psychic from Celebi; Water-types that try to do the same are vulnerable to Grass Knot, Leaf Storm or Giga Drain. Bug-types and Fire-types which seek to take out Celebi instead face down the resistant and immune, respectively, Heatran.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Heatran received Flame Body as its Dream World ability. Tormentran gets the most mileage out of this, being able to drop Lava Plume and simply burn direct attackers. It can also catch out Ditto and Trace users unawares, letting you hit them with powerful Fire moves. In general, the immunity to Fire and the boosst granted by Flash Fire are better on offensive sets. </p>

[Opinion]

<p>Heatran is definitely one of the big players of the OU metagame. Its powerful Fire-type moves can devastate entire teams, its coverage makes fellow Fire-types weep, and solid Steel-typing grants it a plethora of resistances. It says a lot when a Pokemon 4x weak to the most common move in the game was the top dog of the fourth generation, and the fifth generation is shaping up for the slag pile to continue his rein in the highest echelons of OU. </p>

[Counters]

<p>Blissey laughs at all of Heatran’s sets, bar Tormentran. Burungeru can do the same, walling even Flash Fire-boosted Fire Blasts and striking back with Boiling Water, although it has to be wary of Specs Dark Pulse. Choice sets can be checked by Flash Fire users such as Arcanine, which has access to Close Combat, and Ninetales, who can set up Nasty Plot, put Heatran to sleep, or slam it with Hidden Power [Fighting]. Suicune also walls most Heatran sets and can use Calm Mind, potentially leading to a sweep.

----

Feel free to comment if you think I’ve missed something important.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I would make Balloon the second set and slash Life Orb as an item and rename the set "Non-choiced Attacker." Also, make Fire Blast the primary option and don't slash it with Flamethrower. You're actually risking less than other sets since you have temporary protection against Ground-type attacks.

Mention Shuca in Optional Changes; it does have some advantages over Balloon (unannounced, so you can bluff Choice, and lets you switch Heatran in on attacks more freely while still leaving it with a one-time safeguard against Ground attacks) even though the latter is generally superior.

I think a special defensive set might be worth looking into. Other than that, this looks pretty good as far as I can tell.

BalloonTran should have Nitro Charge slashed in fourth moveslot.It works really well, and gives Heatran a chance at sweeping. The point is to switch Heatran in on Nattorei, Choiced Scizor, or anything else that will definitely switch on Heatran and Nitro Charge on the switch, allowing Heatran to boost it's subpar speed and give it a chance to sweep.

Eo, thanks for the advice. Would it be better in the third space, though? I prefer having Choice sets listed together, that's all. I might put Shuca in OO, I'm not sure if it deserves AC.

The general opinion I've been getting from the chat and my own experience is that Nitro Charge is mediocre with all the Fighting-type priority running around. If you can give me some logs of it, I'll think about adding it.

No mention of Nitro Charge anywhere? You should definitely give it a mention; at least in Optional Changes. Ballon Nitro Charge Heatran is a viable set; should you want to add another set.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is like the third Heatran thread that I've seen from you. It looks like every time you have content to add you just go ahead and open a new topic. You need to read the last two posts in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82542

You need to follow the rules and make a formal reservation here, or else I'm going to have to move this and you won't get another chance.

I did make a formal reservation. It's in the stickied thread at the top.

Also, the first thread was a mistake, the second thread was just a placeholder. It slipped back far enough that I thought it'd be a better idea to post a new thread.

Considering that another mod and a badged member (Deck Knight is pretty much a mod at this point) have already posted and haven't said anything, I don't see any issues here. Sorry for making all these threads, but feel free to delete the other ones if it's a problem for you.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The ordering is all wrong in my opinion. Scarf isn't the #1 set... I think the Balloon/Stealth Rock set is Heatran's best set. The metagame has a new increase in speed, and Scarf Heatran is not as useful as before.

You also need to write up more set. Heatran can effectively run 5-7 sets http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/heatran
Are you sure you're up for it?

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Scarf is very good in this metagame in that it checks Shaymin-S, Darkrai, Lati@s, and several other significant threats. There's no question, though, that Scarf and Balloon need to be the first two sets at the very least.

Other Options = Optional Changes. This is where I said Shuca Berry should be mentioned, not in Additional Comments.

Nitro Charge is a perfectly viable option, and I agree that it should be slashed. What Fighting-type priority are you talking about? Not only will you be able to scout it through Team Preview, but I would also say that Roobushin is the only overly-common user of Mach Punch.

Nitro Charge is a perfectly viable option, and I agree that it should be slashed. What Fighting-type priority are you talking about? Not only will you be able to scout it through Team Preview, but I would also say that Roobushin is the only overly-common user of Mach Punch.
Breloom and Infernape (who can use Mach Punch or Vacuum Wave) are fairly common. There's also Blaziken, who outspeeds you after Protect and can HJK you into oblivion. I'll shift the Specs set down, seeing as the Balloon set is better.

Most of the old sets are no longer viable, in my opinion. Metal Sound, Trapper and Restalk were gimmicky at best in the first place (Restalk is probably worth OO though), Life Orb and Stealth Rock are covered by the non-Choiced Attacker set, and the other have sets made up.

Explosion can't even 2HKO Blissey. It's really not useful anymore, especially when the special wall that beats Heatran the best (Burungeru) is immune to it anyway.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
Breloom with Mach Punch is hardly common, considering it's pretty weak without Technician. Furthermore, I reiterate, you're going to be able to see these Pokemon via Team Preview, so you'll know whether or not it's safe to attempt a sweep with Nitro Charge.

Rest got nerfed this generation, so I don't think it really warrants a mention, especially when Heatran has many better options at its disposal.

Also, remove Flamethrower from the main options in the non-choiced attacking set and stick it in additional comments.

Just because you can see it coming doesn't mean you can stop it. If you don't attempt a sweep with it until any opposing priority is gone, then it's dead weight until you do.

I'll remove Rest, but Flamethrower stays. I can't count the amount of times I've lost because of Fire Blast missing or being Pressure stalled out of PP.

Breloom with Mach Punch is hardly common, considering it's pretty weak without Technician. Furthermore, I reiterate, you're going to be able to see these Pokemon via Team Preview, so you'll know whether or not it's safe to attempt a sweep with Nitro Charge.
Yea because 140 base atk does not hit hard. I will give you, Technician is what makes him retarded, but its not like he needed it to be good. Sub Puncher was pretty infamous for a while.

I just downloaded the Heatran from the new Ranger game and I noticed some interesting things. First of all it has Eruption which might be a turn off due to its affect of decreasing power. The second thing was the Quiet nature it always have. This might not mix well however I do see an idea in this.

name: Trick Room abuser
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Gyro Ball / Iron Head / Flash Cannon
move 3: Heat Wave / Dark Pulse / Stone Edge
move 4: Heat Wave / Earthquake / Earth Power
nature: Quiet
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 spe
item: Expert Belt / Balloon

It's self explanatory really and to be honest, it's not that great but it's worth giving mention.

I just downloaded the Heatran from the new Ranger game and I noticed some interesting things. First of all it has Eruption which might be a turn off due to its affect of decreasing power. The second thing was the Quiet nature it always have. This might not mix well however I do see an idea in this.

name: Trick Room abuser
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Gyro Ball / Iron Head / Flash Cannon
move 3: Heat Wave / Dark Pulse / Stone Edge
move 4: Heat Wave / Earthquake / Earth Power
nature: Quiet
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 spe
item: Expert Belt / Balloon

It's self explanatory really and to be honest, it's not that great but it's worth giving mention.
That set looks awful. Eruption is a terrible, terrible move, Stealth Rock + Spikes quickly wears down its power, Gyro Ball sucks as does Iron Head and Flash Cannon, ie Steel sucks, offensively. Fire Blast >>>>>>>>>>>>> Heat Wave, Earthquake??? Just use EP since its more powerful. And Hidden Power Ice or Grass should be the final slot but don't even bother because this set requires tons of support and catering to a specific strategy that is as gimmicky as Trick Room is a bad idea in its own write.

-This paragraph was inspired by SevenDeadlySins' posts.

I would give mention to Explosion however, it's power was decreased tremendously.
Explosion sucks now if the given pokemon doesn't have a 130 attack or get STAB.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Why would you use a physical move on Heatran that is only marginally useful?Why would you use a physical move on Heatran that is only marginally useful?Why would you use a physical move on Heatran that is only marginally useful?Why would you use a physical move on Heatran that is only marginally useful?
Nitro Charge boosts Heatran's Speed, and Heatran already get good coverage in Fire + Ground + Grass / Dragon / Electric / Ice.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why is there no Nitro Charge anywhere? It should be slashed in the last slot on Non-Choice next to Stealth Rock, since HP Grass is so shitty right now. Swampert is absolute ass in this metagame, so carrying an entire move just for it is folly.

EDIT: No Explosion (does <50% to Blissey now), no Eruption, no nonsense like that.

In the Dream World section, don't even mention Flame Body as having any use whatsoever. It's worthless, and implying otherwise is ridiculous.

Agreeing with SDS, Nitro Charge is a huge boon for Heatran, allowing it to boost its Speed. Guaranteed +1 Speed is nothing to laugh at, especially with Heatran's arsenal. Should definitely be an option on the Non-choiced attacker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)