Scrafty (Analysis)

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a basic Skeleton. I'll write it up properly tomorrow. Feel free to suggest another set or offer corrections.

[Overview]

<p>Zuruzukin is one of the select few Pokémon in VGC11 with access to the move Fake Out. This gives it a niche as the slowest Fake Out user, making it a useful Pokémon for Trick Room teams. An array of attacking options that are complimented by fantastic unresisted dual STAB make Zuruzukin a considerable threat with great coverage. Its speed stat is in a useful range that can allow it to function well both within and outside of Trick Room conditions.</p>

[SET]
name: Fake Out
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Detect / Ice Punch / Rock Slide
item: Chople Berry / Life Orb
nature: Brave
ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zuruzukin is one of 3 Fake Out users available in VGC 2011, and as the slowest user of the move, he is the most suited to the role in Trick Room teams. Fake Out will incapacitate an opponent for the first turn of a match, making it easier for your partner to twist the dimensions. Drain Punch is the first of Zuruzukin's offensive options that provides unresisted coverage. Drain Punch also serves a defensive purpose allowing Zuruzukin to recover health and survive longer with it's bulkiness. Crunch is the second move in its offensive arsenal and an all-round safe option that compliments Drain Punch and works off of Zuru's secondary STAB. The final move slot will depend on the rest of your team and play style: Detect is always useful in VGC, Ice Punch gives Zuruzukin even more coverage, including a reliable of way of hitting all 3 genies and other threats such as Crimgan and Morobareru, Rock Slide can be useful in Trick Room if you enjoy abusing its 30% flinch rate and will still hit 2 of the genies hard, it will also leave a huge dent in Ulgamoth. The choice of item is dependent on how offensive or defensive you play: Chople Berry will give Zuruzukin a better defense against Roobushins Mach Punchs, whereas Life Orb will provide you with some handy Kos on Pokémon such as Shandera and Burungeru, who can be Ev'd to survive Zuru's attacks without Life Orb. While Shed Skin can be useful as an ability to save Zuruzukin from the odd spore or burn move, Overconfidence is generally the superior option as Zuruzukin has an uncanny ability to stick around for a lot of the match and therefore is happy to make use of the attack boosts it is capable of getting with its great coverage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Within Trick Room, you can give Zuruzukin even less speed by taking advantage of the Iron Ball/Fling combination. Iron Ball allows Zuruzukin to reach 28 speed with a 0 Speed IV, which will outspeed popular Trick Room Pokémon such as Roobushin, Morobareru and Mushanna. It's also worth noting that Iron Ball Fling will OHKO 252 HP/ 0 Def Burungeru 100% of the time. You may want to considering running Zen Headbutt in the third slot on this moveset as a way of hitting Roobushin and Morobareru for super effective damage. It also comes with a useful 20% flinch chance.</p>

<p>Zuruzukin also functions well outside of Trick Room, although you may want to invest in some speed in order to challenge some common threats. With an Adamant Nature and 20 Speed EVs, Zuruzukin can outspeed Neutral Natured Burungeru with no investment. 60 Evs will outspeed Neutral Shandera with no investment. If you would like to use Zuruzukin on a tailwind team, 116 Speed EVs will outspeed all non-boosted Pokémon but Agirudaa with Tailwind set up. On Defensive Zuruzukin, Focus Sash can save you from powerful Acrobats and Bug Buzz's from the likes of Tornelos and Ulgamoth, respectively.</p>

<p>Zuruzukin fears Fighting types, especially Roobushin who manages to outspeed Zuruzukin in Trick Room conditions. Having a Fighting resist to switch in or a Pokemon that can KO Roobushin is helpful, such as Mushanna who can deal a heavy hit with STAB Psychic as well as setting up Trick Room. Zuruzukin also fears flying attacks from Pokémon such as Torunerosu and Archeos. A Pokémon that can take care of these such as Shiburidon is useful. Zuruzukin’s role is usually to support a set up Pokémon, and then hammer away once it’s achieved that role. Trick Room Pokémon in general are happy to receive this support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zen Headbutt 2HKOes 252 HP/ 0 Def Morobareru 85.14% of the time, and 2HKOes Guts 252 HP/ 0 Def Roobushin 100% of the time factoring in Burn damage. Zuruzukin can run a Bulk Up set to take advantage of its good defenses and Drain Punch, however, Roobushin is probably more suited to this particular role as it has just as good defenses, a more powerful Drain Punch in order to recover damage, and is generally more threatening than Zuruzukin.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Roobushin is an absolute monster who can protect turn 1 to activate its Guts boost, then destroy Zuruzikin with an array of Fighting attacks. Roobushin also outspeeds Zuruzukin in Trick Room and has priority Mach Punch for outside of Trick Room, making it an absolute terror no matter which way you twist the dimensions.
Fighting Pokémon with Inner Focus prove a hug problem to Zuruzukin, the most common of these being Kojondo who also has a faster Fake Out than Zuruzukin, causing it all sorts of problems at the start of a match. Dageki and Nageki also share the Inner Focus ability and will threaten Zuruzukin. Archeos, Wargle and Torunerosu can OHKO Zuruzukin with Acrobat and will easily outspeed if Trick Room is not set up. Ulgamoth and Denchura can do the same with Bug Buzz.</p>

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bulk Up should definitely get a mention, whether as a different set or slashed in with Protect/Taunt. Actually, Zuruzukin is definitely viable as a late-game set up sweeper, as after a Bulk Up or two he's hard to kill. A set of Bulk Up/Drain Punch/Crunch/Ice Punch should be mentioned, imo. Ice Punch is very handy for killing Dragons, the genies, and especially Erufuun. Looks great other than that.

Bulk Up should definitely get a mention, whether as a different set or slashed in with Protect/Taunt. Actually, Zuruzukin is definitely viable as a late-game set up sweeper, as after a Bulk Up or two he's hard to kill. A set of Bulk Up/Drain Punch/Crunch/Ice Punch should be mentioned, imo. Ice Punch is very handy for killing Dragons, the genies, and especially Erufuun. Looks great other than that.
i agree, although for bulk up zuru's i'd say payback is a better option over crunch, since this pokemon will be rather slow with this bulky set, payback will be stronger than crunch (sassy nature works the best for bulk up zuru's)

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've yet to see a Bulk Up Zuru actually work in any of the matches I've seen it used, so if you could PM me some logs of it used properly it'd be appreciated. I'd theory that a chesto rest bulk up set could be useful late game in the same way CM Giratina works in VGC10, but I'll have to look into it.

Ice Punch sounds good for coverage so I'll add that in soon. Thanks!

JRank

Jonny
I've yet to see a Bulk Up Zuru actually work in any of the matches I've seen it used, so if you could PM me some logs of it used properly it'd be appreciated. I'd theory that a chesto rest bulk up set could be useful late game in the same way CM Giratina works in VGC10, but I'll have to look into it.

Ice Punch sounds good for coverage so I'll add that in soon. Thanks!
With the Chesto Rest idea Chesto is often not needed, as with Shed Skin there is a high chance of Zuruzukin waking up early. I'll get some logs for you, though.

Since I can't see it in this skeleton, I ask you directly:
Which ability do you prefer? I think this is a major point to discuss because both of them are wonderful. For a TR sweeper I would definitely make a point of mentioning Overconfidence because Zuru can be quite the pain if it manages to grab 1 or 2 boosts.

Detect > Protect, and mention Life Orb for being able to get OHKOs it would normally miss out on like Shandera and Burungeru for instance. I also think it is a bit bulky for Focus Sash so that would probably be a good replacement, only thing that Focus Sash has over Chople Berry is against Tornelos which with Fake Out/Detect you'll be able to get TR up without having to worry. 124 and there is no reason to hit 94 speed with Zuruzukin, 116 speed EVs outspeeds the same things with an Adamant nature and outspeeds Scarfed Burungeru, Erufuun is still slower than you in Tailwind with 116 Speed EVs so those 8 EVs would be wasted with 124 EVs instead of with 116 speed EVs.

I was going to add this to the GP queue, but you need to write a [Dream World] section, and this needs to have all of the Japanese names converted to English names.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Do we need them for vgc since they can't come out before gray?
What? Was this confirmed? I'm sorry if this was detailed already, but I was completely unaware of this.

EDIT: There's no mention of Hi Jump Kick. Although its drawbacks are obvious, I believe that it at least deserves a mention, because relying on Drain Punch from 95 base Attack is just annoying when you face even moderately bulky stuff. It also attains key OHKOs on Terrakion and opposing Scrafty, and 2HKOs Conkeldurr, allowing it to take it out with some spread support.

I was planning on basing my VGC team around Scrafty and was going to use him with this set:
Careful @ Leftovers
252HP/4Atk/252SpD
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Payback
Rest

And I wanted to get some Jellicent support up in here.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I realize that this is in the copyediting stage, but Roar deserves at least a mention due to its ability to stop Trick Room from being set up, which really helps for faster Trick Room teams that can then outspeed the opposing Trick Room team.

I'm not sure if you consider it worth mentioning but a DD Scrafty can be rather effective. He outspeeds everything not scarfed at +1. It's been relatively easy to predict a protect and after that a sweep is pretty successful, from my experience. I know it seems odd in VGC but it works, especially when his partner is a huge threat.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Protect has more pp, Detect is less likely to be imprisoned. Detect was always better to prepare for Imprison + Explosion teams in the past, since those don't exist this year the difference is less, but Detect is still better.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You say 'hug' in 'Fighting Pokémon with Inner Focus prove a hug problem to Zuruzukin,'

also whenever you mention that Bug Buzzes can OHKO Scrafty, I didn't think it would be the case because it is neutral?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)