2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a dream that Cardiff won the playoff final and was getting promoted to the PL. This is literally the first football related dream that I remember. I woke up believing it too for a while...

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Tevez doesn't regret his 'RIP FERGIE' poster:

The Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has suggested that Sir Alex Ferguson receives special treatment and says he will not apologise for his "RIP Fergie" banner during City's open-top bus parade to celebrate their title win.

The 28-year-old, in comments reported by the Argentinian website ole.com.ar, said: "It seems like Ferguson is the president of England. Every time he speaks badly about a player or says terrible things about me, nobody says that he has to apologise. [But] when someone comes out with a joke or banter, you have to say sorry – but I don't say sorry."

The "RIP Fergie" placard, passed to Tevez by a fan, is thought to have been a reference to a remark made by Ferguson three years ago when asked if United would ever be underdogs against City. "Not in my lifetime," the Scot said.

City were quick to issue a statement expressing "sincerest apologies" to Ferguson and accepting that Tevez had made a "significant error of judgement".

Tevez himself expressed regret in his own statement, saying he got "carried away in the excitement of the moment" and did not mean any disrespect to his former United manager.

But on arriving back in his native Argentina for his summer break, Tevez seems to have changed his tune with reporters.
Source:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/17/carlos-tevez-ferguson-president-england

Thoughts?

Also, United have chosen not to offer Owen a new contract, making him a free-agent. What do you reckon? He's going to take a break? Going to join a small club, and play regular football? Or just be a part of another big club as a benchwarmer?

Also, Hazard/Kagawa as United's new #7's?

The media around football need to stop being so soft and pc. This, the roy hodgson thing countless others. Fergie was probably laughing his head of at what is just a bit of banter.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The media around football need to stop being so soft and pc. This, the roy hodgson thing countless others. Fergie was probably laughing his head of at what is just a bit of banter.
If you're referring to the "Bwing on the Euwos" headline, I don't think that's people being soft and PC. Uncle Woy, is a sort of accepted nickname for him, no problems with that, but publically mocking a man who's leading the national sport for his speech impediment, is a little bit far imho. It wasn't exactly good banter.

No qualms with Fergie being called out, that's all banter, and considering what SAF gets away with saying and doing at times, I've sort of stopped pitying him when somebody says something like that to him.

jordan henderson mustve laughed his ass off when he got the call to be standby for the england squad!!

and considering hodgson doesnt seem to care if his players have been playing regular club football this season, stewart downing in over sturridge/johnson/anybody is literally absurd

aside from that, squad looks half decent.. think binging ox was a good call, i don't really think he's like young walcott at all and i actually think he could potentially emerge as a real superstar if given his chance. aside from that, not bringing richards makes literally 0 sense considering he adds a completely different tactical dimension to RB and is not a half bad CB to boot..

Well Bolton are releasing all of their players apart from Kevin Davies. This is very slightly worrying for them because the likes of West Ham kept most of their top players while Birmingham didn't and we all know which one is in the playoff final...

And on the topic of Bolton... Bartman! I see you!

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
It would really suck for Norwich to see Holt go, but I'm sure it would be better for his personal career if he got to play for a better club, possibly abroad, but personally, I wouldn't want to see him leave England. He's a catch.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm sure it's nothing against Norwich - Grant has just realised he'll never be in serious international contention unless he's at a big club. It's like the England team enforces the monopoly of the big clubs and it's disgusting...

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have massive respect for Brendan Rodgers today, to actually see a manager stick with the chairman that gave him a chance, even though I imagine Liverpool will be waving the chequebook around at a potential manager. I have a lot of time for people like that, the Prem needs more of them for sure, it's just a money game a lot of the time.

I can sort of see why Holt wants to move. At least he's just above board about the whole thing. I'd love him to come to Tottenham personally, we need a few talents like that this summer. imo he's got a good amount of potential.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Norwich turns down Holt's transfer request:
Norwich City have rejected a surprise transfer request from Grant Holt, who recently won the club's player of the year award for the third successive season.

Source

A bit late on this, but Solskjaer is in talks with Villa to become their new manager:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has officially opened talks with Aston Villa about taking over from Alex McLeish as the club's new manager
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/18/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-aston-villa-manager

What do you reckon Villa fans?

Solskjaer in Villa would be pretty cool. I personally hope that he gets the job - we were downright HORRIBLE this season, definitely the most disappointing team of the year (next to Chelsea, probably; I didn't expect much from Liverpool to begin with); Solskjaer seems like a reliable guy.

In his first year in Norway, he won the championship, he was also quite successful in Manchester (reserves).

It can only get better for us.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
west ham 1 - 0 blackpool at ht

my 2-0 to west ham + cole first scorer is looking good right now

edit: fuck 1-1, tom ince scoring just after ht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)