1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by The_Chaser, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

2. phalanx

phalanx

silly wenger. Van Persie likes the new signings, so decides to stay.. wengers takes him to one side and says if we get the cash you are gone..
    We dont need a midfield.. we will win every game by scoring 1 more then you :P
    Van persie to score a hat trick against arsenal anyone?
  3. Blln

Blln

does anybody else think ferguson signed van persie predominantly as a fuck you to man city and to prove that man utd still have financial clout in the premier league and can sign whoever they want - in other words, not for tactical reasons whatsoever?

i just really really can't figure out why man utd would spend £23m on a 29 year old injury prone player in a position in which they are already loaded at a time when they have basically the worst central midfield of any top team in europe. it especially doesn't make sense to me considering they just signed kagawa for £17m who is 23 and is going to be a huge star (i believe) and basically plays best in the same position that rooney and rvp both prefer. so this means man utd essentially now have 5 players (rooney, rvp, kagawa, welbeck, hernandez) competing for 2 starting spots, meaning 3 of them will be on the bench.

ferguson has been talking about the 1999 treble winning season when he had 4 top strikers as justification for rvp's signing, but i actually think if anything he's more following his 2008/09 champions league winning model and might be playing something of a 4-3-3 this season, utilizing his deep and flexible strike force in a similar way to how he used rooney, ronaldo and tevez, meaning i could see something like this:

---------------De Gea--------------
    Raf-------Vidic-------Ferd-----Evra
    --------------------------------------
    --------Carrick--Scholes/Clev------
    ---------------Kagawa--------------
    -Roo/Valencia-------------Young/Nani
    --------------RVP/Rooney----------

the only problem is it becomes hard to figure when welbeck or hernandez will get a look in (until van persie gets injured in october and spends the rest of the season on the treatment table that is...)
  4. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Tiering Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Tower Tycoondefeated the Smogon Frontier

Heres to hoping Hernandez is let go to Arsenal, pretty sure he could grow even more there.
  5. Dubby

Dubby

I don't think Fergie will be so keen as to let Hernandez go, but damn Wenger must have balls of steel by refusing to keep RVP for being "rebellious".
  6. phalanx

phalanx

Nah Hernandez will stay, he is in Fergies plans, hopefully he turns into the one on FM12 >.>
  7. Zoro

Zoro

Apparently, Liverpool is about to sign (or loan?) Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid.
  8. sharkz

sharkz

So in one week we lose RVP, get ever closer to losing Song, and now we're about to lose Sahin to a mid table club and resign Walcott out of all people.

At least Wenger went out and bought 2 guys to replace RVP already this time, but he needs to reinvest the 24 mil fast. A winger and midfielder would do nicely.
  9. Phadunk

Phadunk

People believing Wenger didn't want RVP to sign a new contract and stay is fucking retarded.
  10. Dubby

Dubby

Well either way, he's gone now. Also, Liverpool signed Oussama Assaidi for £3m. Finally they make a cheap yet great signing.
  11. Phadunk

Phadunk

Id rather have Liverpool's squad over Arsenal's atm.
  12. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Sad day for Arsenal - not because they've lost RVP but because this is the day they concede that they're no longer genuine title contenders. Wenger has never sold a player to Man Utd because you simply don't do business with rivals. This deal basically confirms that they are no longer competing for the same trophies as Man Utd. The end of an era...
  13. HBK

HBK Subtlety is my middle name
    is a Tiering Contributor

It will take months for me to get accustomed to seeing RVP in a United shirt......And why do Barcelona want Song when they have Busquets and Mascherano......
  14. Metal Bagon

Metal Bagon

As a replacement for Keita...

Also, they use Mascherano as a CB now.
  15. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

Song can play CB too, Barca like to have all positions comfortable in possession so wouldn't surprise me to see him play there either.
  16. -Rockstar-

-Rockstar-

Assaidi
    Sahin(Loan)
    Allen
    Borini

Good Signings.
  17. sharkz

sharkz

Eh, as long as we add another winger and M'Vila then I think we're still comfortably better than them.

Different story if they get Sahin and we don't do anything else though. Surely Wenger has to tie up M'Vila if Song goes.
  18. phalanx

phalanx

so Arsneal are going backwards fast. but not that far backwards
  19. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

Closing this as there is a new thread up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)