2011 Music

apparently änglagård are releasing a new album this year, which is pretty cool since it's been 16 years since their last one.

so far i've only listened to acid witch's stoned; earth's angels of darkness, demons of light i; merkabah's lyonesse and sirenia's the enigma of life, and so far i think stoned is my favourite.

also anyone know if alice in chains plan on making any more albums with the new vocalist?

AJers

Your typical e-wench
Debi Nova- Drummer Boy

hahaha, it just happened to be playing when I opened this page, ;)

Stuff I'm looking forward to this year:

Kanye West & Jay-Z - Watch the Throne - Summer
Lady Gaga - Born This Way - May 23rd
Lights - TBA - TBA
The Kills - Blood Pressures - April 5th
La Roux - TBA - TBA
No Doubt - TBA - TBA
Arctic Monkeys - TBA - TBA
Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Renegades) - March 22nd
Robyn - TBA - TBA (possibly 2 albums)
J. Cole - TBA - TBA
Natalia Kills - Perfectionist - March 25th
Big Boi - Daddy Fat Sax: Soul Funk Crusader- TBA
HEARTSREVOLUTION - Ride or Die - TBA
Andre 3000 - TBA - TBA
Metric - TBA - TBA

+ any random stuff such as stuff I feel like trying out this year through creeping this topic, EPs, etc.

Seeing all those TBAs makes me real sad. :( A couple will probably be pushed into 2012 I think, but let's not talk about next year yet.

ARGH

ARGH ARHIGAHEOIGASE

HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD THE NEW TORO Y MOI SONG

OH MY GOD!

http://soundcloud.com/carparkrecords/toro-y-moi-new-beat
Meh.

james blake album arrived in the post today and although im enjoying it alot, after a first listen it isnt the revelation id hoped it would be. i read your review also john and i mostly agree, but i enjoyed the really minimalist stuff. i like the way he plays with silence in tracks like lindisfarme 1 and a handful of others.

i think more the problem is he sticks too rigidly to the same sound and the same ideas. the way he explored different sounds with his 3 EPs was really fascinating, but the album, sticking to that same idea, feels kinda spotty and filled out in places. i really feel like everything up to "limit to your love" with the exception of "i never learnt to share" is fantastic and feels kind of like the nautral evolution from klavierwerke. more confident with the vocals, and featuring some of those rising keyboards and clicky percussion from cmyk.

"the wilhelm scream" is still absolutely beautiful. i think that track set my expectations a bit higher than they should have been. after all, the guy has put out alot of great stuff really recently and hes still figuring out where he wants to go. so yeah, agree with your review, john. theres alot of potential for sure, and i really hope the album is succesful/well-recevied enough for him to be able to come back with fresh ideas and maybe a bigger bidget and some more musicians. and since so far all of his releases have dabbled in all these different sounds, i feel like hes still just a step away from something amazing.

lcd soundsystem also splitting up for real :( final show is on april 2nd. thats the day before my birthday too, sucks.

to make up for all these break ups, heres some great new music:

slowly worming its way into my favourite albums of this year so far, this thing is just a fantastic trippy, heady psyche-rock album. its a solo project from some italian guy nobody really knows anything about, but you wouldnt know it from listening to it. theres never any less than about 5 different things happening at once and it all locks together with these squelchy bass grooves and airy synths and bubbly effects and shit everywhere and i am really really enjoying it.

the guys ability to craft these psychedelic elements into a really immediate pop song is what makes the thing stand out though. i recommend everyone give "plumy tale" a listen to see what im talking about. so much love for the chorus.

NAAAA NAAA NAAA NAAAAAA NA NAA NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: i also forget you can download it for free here

more favourites:

Tartar Lamb has released their new album Polyimage of the Known Exits and it's some complex yet awesome stuff. It got Toby Driver (maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot) on guitar and it is as hard to get into as everything from that guy I listened to.

Koloss' End of the Chayot is some great Isis-esque atmospheric sludge metal. They do well in shifting between quiter and louder moments (the latter are especially done well).

For everyone who likes free improvisation/dark ambient, check out Æthenor's new album En form for blå. I can't really describe how it sounds but there are like no weak points.

Palace by Chapel Club is some fantastic post-punk/dream pop/indie rock. It's not overly original, but the music is just so good.

Sepalcure has released another short dubstep EP called Fleur. It's probably a fairly standard affair for dubstep, but I love it.

Small Leaks Sink Ships' new EP Oak Street Basement is some addicting forward-thinking, progressive indie rock you should check out.

--------------------------

my list of albums I still have to listen to:

Natural Snow Buildings - Waves of the Random Sea
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing
Pay Money to My Pain - Remember the Name
Chase & Status - No More Idols
New York Dolls - Dancing Backward in High Heels
Kaizers Orchestra - Violeta, Violeta Vol 1
EkoTren - The Dead of Night
Corinne Bailey Rae - The Love EP
Layzie Bone - Thug Luv
Old Man Markley - Guts N' Teeth
Tommy Simms - Then the Archers Bowed and Broke their Bows
End of a Year - The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Emanuela Orlandi
Social Jet Lag - The Monster Inside
Dead by April - Stronger
My Iron Lung - No Such Thing
Grouplove - Grouplove
Kristian Stanfill - Mountains Move
Nicole Atkins - Mondo Amore
Ringside - Lost Days
Daytrader - Last Days of Rome
SpecialThanks - Seven Lovers
Fall in Archaea - Gatherings
To the North - Lustre
The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Noisear - Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
Six Reasons to Kill - Architects of Perfection
Most Precious Blood - Do Not Resuscitate
Eshas - Eshas
Siamese Fighting Fish - We Are the Sound
Craig's Brother - The Insidious Lie
The Streets - Computers and Blues
Papercuts - Fading ParadeDevilDriver - Beast
Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx - We're New Here
Ron Sexsmith - Long Player Late Bloomer
The Low Anthem - Smart Flesh
The Ocean Between Us - The Ocean Between Us
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Go Down Under
The Skull Defekts - Peer Amid
Hotel of the Laughing Tree - Terror and Everything After
Dreamshade - What Silence Hides
Sleeping at Last - Yearbook - January / February
Skepta - Doin' It Again
Slaughterhouse - The Slaughterhouse EP
Young Galaxy - Shapeshifting
Collie Buddz - Playback
Jónsi - Live at the Wiltern
Dumbo Gets Mad - Elephants at the Door
Adorno / The Black Heart Rebellion - Split
LCD Crew - Haven't You Heard...
Funeral Party - Golden Age of Knowwhere
The Insane Warrior - We Are the Doorways
Bane - Curitiba 7:58 PM
Endless Hallway - Endless Hallway
Rot in Hell - As Pearls Before Swine
Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
Plankton Wat - In Magical Light
Overcome - The Great Campaign of Sabotage
Roger Miret & Disasters - Gotta Get Up Now
Joan of Arc - Oh Brother
Mother Mother - EUREKA
The Omega Experiment - Karma
Deaf Center - Owl Splinters
Gutbucket - Flock
Fortilive - I vs. I
Red Fang - Murder the Mountains

new The Rural Alberta Advantage leaked *happy dance*

the new Tim Hecker is really really good

maybe my favourite album this year,

but then again i haven't really listened to many 2011 albums.

i do need to listen to the new Tartar Lamb as well.

dunno, I think there's a noticably huge drop in quality when comparing Southern Rock Opera/Decoration Day/The Dirty South or even The Big To-Do with their last one.

go-go boots definitely, definitely kills the big to-do

not sure why you aren't singing brighter's praises, it'd be their best if it weren't for decoration day

How familiar are you with DBT? If you aren't familiar, first listen to Decoration Day, The Dirty South, and Brighter Than Creation's Dark.

Albums I'm looking forward to:

Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes
Set Your Goals - Burning At Both Ends
Sum 41 - Screaming Bloody Murder
FOO FIGHTERS kjshsadjhjd
The Blackout - Hope
The Strokes - Angles
Four Year Strong
Rise Against - Endgame
Blink 182

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)