2011 VGC Tailwind team

I've been testing this team out on PO, it's been doing pretty well. However, I kinda think it's too...fragile. I wanna throw in a hard hitting wall that benefits from both Trick Room (If it does happen to go up) and Tailwind. Scrafty in place of Whimsicott, perhaps?

Chandelure (M) @ Fire Gem
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
This guy is a beast. It hits almost everything for at least neutral damage. Flash Fire is great, and immunity to fake out is a blessing. Fire Gem'd heat wave puts a major dent in most things, and always KOs when Super-Effective. It's not as fast as I wish, but it takes out the Amoongus/ Reuniclus combo with Heat wave+ Acrobatics.

Tornadus (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Protect
This guy sets up Tailwind on the first turn, the sweeps the next. Flight Gem'd Acrobatics KOs slower Tornadus, but I can't outrun Prankster Whimsicott with Taunt. Whimsicott isn't much of a threat, only if it sets up Trick Room. It would be long dead/Taunted before that happens.

Mienshao (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
Ah, my love<3 She is deadly fast, KOing most Hydreigon with Drain Punch. Rock Slide for Chandelure/Tornadus/Thundurus, and Fake Out to prevent Trick Room setting up. However, I never use Wide Guard. It's a waste of a slot for me, but I don't know what to put in its stead.

Whimsicott (M) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Trick Room
- Tailwind
- Helping Hand
Once thing I noticed: He never, ever gets taunted. I don't know what to put on him. I also never actually use him to set up. Chandelure/Tornadus pretty much prevent any chance of Trick Room going up, and Tornadus is usually still alive when Tailwind peters out, allowing him to set up again. Giga Drain is a weak move, not even taking half health away from Jellicent. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with him.

Potential member: Scrafty

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
-Fake out
-Ice Punch
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
Befitting from both Tailwind and Trick Room, Scrafty is amazing. He hits extremely hard and has amazing staying power. If TR goes up, I send in Scrafty and sweep. Drain Punch is a means of regenerating as well as STAB, as well as Crunch.

That's my team. Please, any changes in movesets and items would be most welcome. Opinions on the Pokemon themselves would be great as well.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Scrafty should have Big Root if you're going to use Drain Punch. Give Mienshao Uturn. Pretty cool team though. I'm new, so go easy on me. :-)

I think with Leftovers I'll have a larger HP return (Anyone wanna confirm?). And U-Turn on Mienshao is a great idea. Thank's for the compliment.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Good luck in the VGC! By the way, Whimsicott should have Focus Sash because I've realized people kill it once they see it.

Alright, I tested Chande/Tornadus/Mien/Scrafty out on PO. I think I wanna switch Scrafty with a Flame Orb Conkeldurr. I need Mach Punch badly.

I don't really understand how you're going to get Scrafty to benefit from Trick Room. He's not slow enough to outspeed many of the hard TR hitters, and that's even IF you put him with a -Spe nature and 0 IV.

I don't really understand how you're going to get Scrafty to benefit from Trick Room. He's not slow enough to outspeed many of the hard TR hitters, and that's even IF you put him with a -Spe nature and 0 IV.
Yeah, I noticed that. I'm switching Scrafty with Conkeldurr.

Scrafty is great when used like this:
brave scrafty @ big root
Ev's 252 atk, 128 def, 128 sp def
Moveset:
Drain punch
Fake out
Crunch
Protect

Drain punch (STAB) and big root equals longevity
Crunch (STAB) takes care of ghosts and psychics
Fake out, when using scrafty as a lead when you see no fake outers in your opponents team via team preview
Protect, well its genious for protecting mienshaos hi jump kick/ wasted fake out first turn

With 252 atk evs and brave nature he's at his maximum capacity for power, and 128 def/ spD, he can survive a lot, you'll find that he's hard to take out if he's not OHKO'd first turn.

He's got good coverage, decent power, and good defenses. I prefer him over mienshao, but ultimately its your call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)