2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Milner is quite underrated to be fair.
but Can is still very young and is going to improve much more in the future.
Apparently, Can is a Lucas Leiva with more dribbling. I don't rate Lucas that much though.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Milner isn't a bad buy for versatility at 10m. For Arsenal, I wouldn't be opposed but it would depend on who else we bring in. If he turns out to be a stopgap instead of a better player, I'd be disappointed. If he's a depth signing - that'd be great. Wenger is supposedly singing a 3 year deal, which is fantastic. Ends about the time Klopp ends his contract, one can hope (Klopp would be my ideal long term successor for Wenger but knowing Wenger, it'll be his protege - the manager from Nagoya Grampus).

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
ModestGarchomp We need a striker, not another midfielder and we aren't desperate for another CB. If we have Verms, Kosc, and Mertesacker, so we could maybe use 1 more CB, but it won't be desperate unless verms leaves this summer.

We don't need a defensive midfielder, we have arteta, flamini, wilshire, and ramsey who are perfectly competent defensively to press and break up attacks (see all of the North London derbies this season, we destroyed spurs every game with our hard pressing). We aren't chelsea and we don't play the style chelsea plays, we haven't had a true defensive midfielder in idk even know how long, the last 4 years at least. All of our midfielders have to be good at attacking and defending because thats what the arsenal version of total football relies on. Flamini and Song have been our most defensive mids in recent years, Song picked up tons of assists in his last season and had scored important goals during his time at the club (against chelsea in 2011 for example). If you watched our press this year, especially against tottenham, it is perfectly evident that our pressing is competent without DMs.

What held us back this year was tactics, we did well against the clubs we were supposed to do well against precisely because our squad is well suited to the arsenal style of total football. What killed us against the big clubs was lack of tactical options, which was a symptom of injury and more importantly of lack of depth in wingers. Walcott, Ox, Podolski, Cazorla have all been injured, or out-of-form for long spells, or are better suited to another position. As such Milner would be an excellent signing to fill in on the left wing, he is also more than versatile enough to play total football.

As it stands, I want:

1. To Keep Sagna. the highest priority because there is no more suitable RB available.
2. Podolski out, as a consequence of bringing in 2 strikers (Vela+not benzema, more on this later) and the addition of
3. Milner, who could add to our cover on the wings.
4. Bring in a striker, not benzema. that dude is overrated, Giroud is more suitable to our style of play and Benzema costs way too much. If we spend 30+million on Benzema it will be a massive disappointment to me. Vela may be locker-room/team cancer, so it would still be good to get a high-end striker, but Benzema will flop hard, think Soldado. We could spend that money on:
5. Mandzukic, who will be way better in Arsenal's style than Chelsea's anyway. Also I'm still holding out that we will blow all 100 million (that we allegedly have to spend, but really it's like 30-60 million) on Luis Suarez with which we would auto win the title.
If not Mandzukic, then fear not, because Loic Remy is the bargain Benzema anyway.

Last edited:
Arsenal certainly need a replacement for Arteta. I don't know what you mean by a 'pure defensive' midfielder but Arteta is a defensive midfielder but can't cover the same amount of ground as Matic or Fernandinho when Ramsey goes forward. Keep in mind he is 32 and his contract is going to expire next season.

I might be the only one but I am not convinced by Wilshere. He has had the best season(talking about his performances before getting injured) plus with Ramsey playing so well wilshere will only play further up the field in the 3 behind Giroud. It would be mental for Wenger to play both Ramsey and Wilshere as the two cms.
Lars Bender springs to mind but he said he doesn't want to leave.

Regarding strikers, Benzema is basically an upgrade on giroud. He is better in every aspect. His finishing is certainly his weakest part of his game but it is certainly better than giroud. I agree with you though that arsenal should just settle with giroud and get remy.
On another note, Mandzukic would actually be good for Chelsea. Good at pressing(which apparently everyone forgets that chelsea mainform of attacking is after the defensive performance against Liverpool and Madrid) and good in the both when teams sit deep in their half. Costa would be perfect for Chelsea though and I hope they seal the deal with them before the world cup starts. Especially coming off two great seasons.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
I don't think that Mandzukic would be able to follow Wenger's tactics as he struggled to play Guardiola's brand of football which is similar to that of Arsenal with the short passing,high line,etc. Lewandowski's signing isn't the only reason behind Guardiola's intention to sell him.
Asenal require a striker with vision, some one who can pass the ball and create chances rather than just finishing them. Imo, Mandzukic would be more comfortable at Chelsea as he is more like Drogba.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Myzozoa - Disagree to a large degree. We really need a proper DM. The last time we bought one was Gilberto Silva - and we all know how that worked out.

Wilshere and Ramsey can't play in a true pivot at the moment. They've tried it a few times and it hasn't worked out - they both get caught out in that case. Arteta is great but he's losing pace / the ability to control the big games and that's obvious now. Flamini is a great depth option to have, but can't be your starter.

What we need is a Javi Martinez or even a Lars Bender (I prefer Martinez anyday). He'd add the required steel to help control those big games we seem to like to lose horribly. Plus, a guy like Martinez is comfortable on the ball and definitely spray it around.

Also, Benzema is great if we get him. The man has perfect decision making. He's the anti-Gervinho.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arsenal should:
-Sell Wilshere (you'd get more money for him than he's worth being a depth option)
-Buy Javi Martinez (basically wilshere replacement)
-Buy a striker. This is the hard one, as no obvious available strikers are a good fit, I'm not sure the solution isn't buying a striker who has the right skillset but isn't "established" at a big club, and seeing if they can continue to produce good results. (none are coming to mind off the top of m yhead but i'm sure w/ some looking i could dig some options up).
-Buy another striker because Giroud is ass and more strikers = more options in a lot of lategame scenarios

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I would be fine with selling wilshire and buying Martinez, don't think the club will let it happen, too many love wilshire. Also is Martinez going to be available at a price that would let us get Benzema? Giroud is not ass when he isn't exhausted, he declined significantly over the course of the season partly due to exhaustion (not gonna let him off the hook for some of his finishing late in the season, it seems like no one on our team does that well atm). Your plan is good Imanalt .

For the rest of you, Arteta has been one of our better players this season and I think he's good for another one before we have to move him out. We are really deep in midfield (Rosicky, Ramsey, Wilshire, Flamini, Arteta, Cazorla, Ozil, kallstrom) especially with the addition of Milner who can play any midfield/wing position (he isn't even a horrible tackler and he works hard af, and we need more wing players). Besides market for defensive mids is shallow, Gustavo isn't gonna leave, Matic is Chelsea, obv no Biscuits, or Toure or anyone of that stripe. That leaves Martinez and he'll cost a shit ton right?? tell me about the 'second shelf' defensive midfielders we could get thats where we should be looking if we're going to prioritize mandzukic/benzema.

basically there is a lot of shit we COULD do, but this is arsenal, if you get your hopes up you'll be disappoint.

Last edited:

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure what Arsenal needs from a striker but Benzema isn't a clinical finisher. I don't think he's overrated either, in fact I'd say he's very underrated in Spain, he usually gets a lot of shit for ''not scoring enough'' but he provides many other things for the team. He suits Real Madrid well because thanks to his great vision he can provide chances for Ronaldo / Bale. It's true that he sometimes misses easy shots but overall I think he's excellent. As I said I'm not sure what Arsenal fans want but I'd say Benzema is a much better choice than Mandzukic for the team.

Oh and Vela would be a great signing, he's had two excellent seasons at Real Sociedad. He can obviously play at the wings, but he's sometimes played as a forward when Real Sociedad needed it. Not sure if he can actually work as the main forward (most likely not) for the team but he can do it in a pinch.

Speaking of La Liga players, maybe Iturraspe could be interesting for Arsenal. He's played as a DM for 4th seed Athletic Bilbao (which has a similar playstyle to Arsenal), has good vision and he was on Del Bosque list of 30. The problem is that I doubt he will leave this summer, as Athletic will play UCL next season...

Last edited:

Shiv

mostly harmless
Likely not, but he hasn't got much game time this year - so it's not impossible.

If not Martinez, the options we seem to have are the Bender brothers, Schneiderlin. And Khedira. Khedira is a tough one to make happen but he simply loves Ozil and he wasn't happy at all with Ozil going. There's a chance for something to be done there.

Or we might pick up a young guy more suited to that role - that wouldn't be unheard of coming from Wenger.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Khedira would actually be easier to acquire than any of the other defensive mids. He's more unsettled than any of them. Although he may not be as good as he was since he returned from injury. Plus, he will cost at least £30 million.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No one knows what Pep is planing, but he loves 3-4-3 and Martínez is essential for that. He is not the type of midfielder Pep wants, but should find his place as a center back.
The fact that he started against Dortmund, when Pep decided to play more of his style as against Real ("Riesen bigmistake vom Trainer") also shows that he will be needed.

The equation "didn't play enough -> will leave" is too easy here.

I think out the players you mentioned Khedira should be the most realistic one. I can't imagine him taking di María's/Modric's/Alonso's spot.
Out the Bundesliga Arsenal should consider Luiz Gustavo, who should have a buy-out clause. Also M'Vila could be an option, but I didn't follow him since his move to Russia

I think out the players you mentioned Khedira should be the most realistic one. I can't imagine him taking di María's/Modric's/Alonso's spot.
Out the Bundesliga Arsenal should consider Luiz Gustavo, who should have a buy-out clause. Also M'Vila could be an option, but I didn't follow him since his move to Russia
Khedira might be a tough one because I have a feeling we could make a move for him as well but Luiz Gustavo, who Arsenal should have gotten last summer should really be regarded as a buy but not sure if Wolfsburg want to sell. I have seen M'Vila play a few times and I think that he is a decent player but his attitude is VERY unprofessional and that is something he needs to cut out but he is still 23 and still can save his career by moving somewhere else.
What about this William Carvalho? I have never seen him play but there has been some interest from United.

Also, Zenit have been sanctioned by UEFA regarding FFP so we could see a few players leaving. Witsel could be one. We should make a move for him to partner Matic.

Last edited:

Shiv

mostly harmless
M'Vila is a loose cannon. If we're getting one of those, I'd much rather get Balotelli.

Gustavo I haven't seen much since he went to Wolfsburg, how's he doing there?

Sapientia Martinez has mentioned that he doesn't like being played out of position before. So if he's going to be a CB, he might consider moving. That said, he recently said he wants to stay at Bayern. No clue what Bayern think ATM. Its unlikely but it can occur.

I wouldn't mind Khedira at all. Most people forget, he's still only 27. His best years are still ahead of him.

Also, silly season has begun folks!

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/27484318

Last edited:

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why do I get the feeling Yaya Toure doesn't actually care too much and it's just his agent being an ass? Sulking because he didn't get a birthday handshake seems like a very un-toure thing.

William Carvalho- Plays in a single pivot and pretty good at it. The problem is that it's going to take a lot of money to get him from Sporting.

Javi Martinez- Pep rates him very highly but the problem this season was the injuries. Again the only player leaving Bayern this summer is going to be Mandzukic.

Gustavo- Arsenal should really go after him.

Nah Yaya means it, it's a combination of injustice at black players not getting recognition (which is true) and him becoming a bit too big for his shoes now after scoring a few more penalties and free kicks than usual and now being a bit of a drama queen. Honestly I haven't cared about birthdays since I was about 16 and I'm sure most ppl are the same whether someone shakes their hand or not lol! Verdict: overpaid drama queen.

As for Arsenal, if I was manager the priority for me would be a winger, a striker, a right back, and a goalkeeper. New mids and CBs would be a luxury. I'm really happy with our mids, I don't see many players available who would realistically strengthen it there. A Wilshere/Diaby/Ramsey/Arteta/Flamini rotation looks good.

Shiv

mostly harmless
Yeah, he's confirmed that it's not just his agent and he has some "issues". In all honesty, he's probably angling for another new contract.

Also, I think a solid defensive midfielder is a priority for Arsenal, right behind a solid striker. I like Arteta and Flamini but that lack of steel has been obvious in a lot of games this season - it's about time we look to address it.

Nah Yaya means it, it's a combination of injustice at black players not getting recognition (which is true)
I agree with this.

Yaya is stereotyped as the typical athletic and physically strong black central midfielder. Yes he scores sometimes by bulldozing the opposition but for me he is a lot more than the physical ''beast'' he is labeled as. His passing is severely underrated for me. He often plays defence splitting passes and controls the tempo of the game. He has an average 90.7% successful passes from 1200 this season.

His passing and the way he lazily strolls around the pitch are more reminiscent of Andrea Pirlo than an athlete like Michael Essien.

He's also outrageously good at free kicks, scoring 4 from 5 attempts (80% conversion rate). He's a lot more technically gifted than people give him credit for.

If Arsenal by a midfielder they should buy a big guy. One thing all of Ramsey, Wilshere, Flamini, Arteta, Cazorla, Walcott, Ozil, Rosicky & Oxlade-Chamberlain have is common is that they're all tiny.

Well not all are tiny, but they're all small in football terms & none are above 6 foot tall and none of them are built big either. Someone like say... Matic would have been perfect for them.

Not counting defensive ineptitudes in the games Arsenal got torn apart in, I think the lightweight midfield was a major factor in that. None of their current crop are really strong enough to go toe-to-toe against the opposition and not enough of them track back. Arteta isn't a defensive midfielder while Flamini's lack of pace is shown in the big games.

Oh yeah they have Diaby, I forgot. But I don't need to explain why he doesn't fill the gap

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)