2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I'd have City for both the Premier League and the English team to do best in Europe right now considering what we've seen so far and the champs league draw. Regarding the league I see only Arsenal and Man City as true contenders right now(as much as I'd love Leicester to be there I can't see it unless we're still in the same position come February/March time).

Champions League I can't see anyone but city progressing past this round, Arsenal might be able to nick a draw or one goal win in London but they could just as easily lose by 3 or 4 in Spain. I was at the Leicester Chelsea game the other day and honestly, Willian and Remy aside, much of their team doesn't look up for a premier league game, let alone a game vs a European giant. That said the games are a while away and things can change quickly in football so let's see.

Once again Leicester showed that this myth that more possession means you played better is a mere fallacy, it's the same reason United are struggling right now. Having more of the ball is unimportant compared to how effective and punishing you are with it, and that's what Leicester are showing every week.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well Mourinho is the guy who standardized that boringsauce low possession high defensive counter style in RM as a hard counter to to tiki-taka and other high possession/control based styles, and has been trying out more and more extreme permutations of the style with Chelsea over the past couple of years.

So technically Leicester outMourinho'd Mourinho. :D

Pretty sure Abramovic has asked Mourinho to play more expansively. Their team show better numbers across all stats, including possession, passes, chances created etc, but fall down on big chances created, goals and chances/goals conceded - exactly the stats that matter. I think Mourinho is struggling with implementing a more possession based approach and right now his team is in a limbo and are not sure how best to implement it. Personally I think Mourinho is a master of shutting games down and anybody who signs him should just use him to his strengths. He is a richman's Pulis and he does a good job if you want trophies because he can get results his way. But he's perhaps not ideal if you want to build a team or play expansive football. Time will tell if Mourinho can get out of this and prove doubters like me wrong!

Soul Fly I also love the way you used "hard counter". I find myself saying it when I'm talking to my friends and quickly realising nobody knows what I'm on about and having to quickly rephrase and play it off like I don't play Pokemon or anything! xD

Pep is just one of the best damn managers.. Mainly because players want to do better for him, want to make him happy and prove they are worth the time and effort and a place in any club he's a part of.

That's why I want him and we need him at Arsenal.

To be honest.. The players aren't inspired, sure they play for eachother and have awesome chemistry. But I really don't see Wenger digging into players and rallying the team, say, at halftime etc and inspiring or even putting that fear and determination into the players to be better. Think we are past that point with Wenger. And that's been the problem for a while now.

Well, Chelsea's form has left them ONE point above the relegation zone. Plus, he said something about being betrayed by his players so it seems that he has lost the dressing room and change is needed.

"His three league titles, FA Cup, Community Shield and three League Cup wins over two spells make him the most successful manager in our 110-year history."

For all his faults and the mistakes of his players, he did leave behind a terrific legacy, but his actions these past weeks only meant he was begging for a sack. I think he should return to Italy for a change, maybe even Milan, God knows they can use all the help they can get. Pep making a soundbite next week sounds convenient lol, I really wanted him for Man U now that Klopp is booked at the Meryside, but oh well...there's Carlo right?

Last edited:
Tbf, Hiddink did a good job there last time. Although he has flopped massively at Russia and Holland since then, he could be able to steady the ship.

We can always hope Chelsea go for Moyes, Monk or Rodgers, right?

2014 Mourinho: "Big Sam played 19th century football."
2015 Big Sam : " When you play 19th century football and get a result, it keeps you in a job. If you play 21st century football and keep losing, you're out of a job."

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
On the bright side, Hiddink will now come in and win us the CL àla 2012.

Mourinho: " No manager is better than me at Chelsea."

Chelsea's last 5 games under Mourinho: 2 goals
Chelsea with no manager vs Sunderland: 3 goals

The Special One knows what he's talking about. :-)

Fantastic win by Norwich, Man United barely created anything and only had two shots on target. Meanwhile, Norwich counterattacked brilliantly. Alex Neil has finally decided that playing on the counter gives Norwich's their best chance of winning.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Haven't made a post in months so I'm coming out of the darkness to announce that Man Utd are not very good at football
I second this, a United loss and a Chelsea win, best day ever. Missed the game due to other commitments but I guess he really had lost the players' support. From what I heard, the players actually showed some desire today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 23)