3 vs 3 Metagame

I've tried to start this up earlier but I think this got locked or something. Anyways, what I mean by 3 vs 3 is that each player uses 3 pokemon instead of the regular six. An example team for this style of play would look similar to this...

Floatzel @ Life Orb / Mystic Water/ Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Rash
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 Spe / 252 SpAtk
*Waterfall
*Surf
*Taunt
*Rain Dance

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 180 HP / 212 Atk / 116 Spe
*Waterfall
*Outrage
*Substitute
*Dragon Dance

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Naive
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 Spe / 252 SpAtk
*Sludge Bomb
*Hidden Power [Water]
*Nasty Plot
*Cross Chop
-Thanks raikoulover

The principle idea of this "Metagame" is to be short and sweet. At least, that is my opinion. Anyways, I'm hoping enough people are interested in this that a list could be made for Unranked Battles for Shoddy. So things that could be discussed... Teams, Battle Strategies, or perhaps even Pokemon tier positioning (example: Mew, Lati@s, Wobbuffet, and perhaps Ho-oh!?).

Lets see if this takes off.

The problem with 3v3, or really any metagame less than 6v6, is that teams often end up countering each other too well. There are simply too many viable strategies to choose from, resulting in losses before matches are even played. An interesting idea would be to have a team of 6, from which you pick 3. Either that, or have a "best of 3" series, instead of just a single 3v3 match.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's a possible idea - professional battle tower battles. It'll be really similar to the OU metagame except there'll be less swapping and SR, spikes and toxic spikes I'm guessing won't be seen often. Walls will probably be less important and sweeping and hard hitters will be more important. And its good for short games.

I rather see a little cup competition first. Then a 3v3 metagame.

*looks at dead metagame*

*laughs*

I remember when this was a big fad what, 2 years ago or so. Died sorta quickly. Personally, I don't want to be remembered of the horrors of the Battle Tower, lol.

I agree with threadmaker. I think it would make a good alternative to standard battling.
Having too many options and strategies is a great thing. but I also agree with the person who stated a best of three scenario should take place, as luck can massively influence this kind of battle.

Anyways Im all for it.

An interesting idea would be to have a team of 6, from which you pick 3.
Sounds like PBR to me.

- - -

I disagree with the "countering themselves" idea, as I feel that there would be such diversity that it wouldn't be very centralised and you wouldn't know what team you opponants have. I think that this metagame could be very viable.

There's many different types of metagames, like Double Battle, Little Cup, and the regular 6-on-6. This Battle Tower type of metagame's been used many times, but hasn't taken off yet. I guess it just needs enough support.

A 3-on-3 Metagame, to me, would be a great addition to our current metagames that exist. I already listed Double Battle, Little Cup, and Standard Battle as ones that already exist and are being supported by members of our community. A 3-on-3 Metagame isn't new, as Shinryu stated earlier, but isn't dead. As a matter of fact, there's a Battle Tower Battle Records thread somewhere here, posting teams and strategies. You could use that to base this 3-on-3 (I'll call it Battle Tower from now on.) Metagame. You might even be able to gain the people that post there's support for this metagame if you try hard enough.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with the argument that, due to your inability to counter everything with 3 Pokemon, more variety within teams and less centralization will result. Indeed, I would argue that when the dust settles, there would be greater centralization because so few Pokemon will be deemed worthy of a slot.

While you cannot cover every threat, you can cover most weaknesses. The flip side is that this involves a very small pool of Pokemon and this issue extends to themed teams (i.e. rain dance), where some Pokemon are a clear cut above the rest (Kingdra).

Should 3v3 take flight, expect bulky water + dragon + steel teams to be the standard. That said, none of this detracts from the value of an additional battling format.

Edit: some general theorymoning; focus sash should be very popular, especially because stealth rock is pretty much a waste in 3v3.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ive said it before and i'll say it again—the stadium mode metagame should be played best-of-three or even -five to negate the notion of bad matchups or bad luck in general having more of an effect in 3-on-3 compared to 6-on-6. nobody ever really seems to want to play stadium mode though which is why these efforts always seem to die out

Here were I live we have monthly tournaments where the first battles are all 3v3, and only the semi-final/final match(es) are 6v6.

It's a nice, fast-paced metagame. Like McGraw said above, Focus Sash is used a lot, and long setups are generally unsuccesful. Choice users are more tricky to use, since you've got less switches, but since in a 3v3 you already 'start at late game', you don't need that much coverage and being locked into a move won't hurt you that much.

Trick Room and Rain teams are pretty popular, because they don't need many turns of setup to be effective.

One thing that also works okay in a 3v3 metagame are the 'Hyper Beam' moves. I remember a guy who did well with that Nasty Plot Persian, but he used Hyper Beam instead of Swift, and another one who used Giga Impact Slaking as a 'last Pokémon cleaner' of sorts. While still not the best strategies, they're much more viable.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Here were I live we have monthly tournaments where the first battles are all 3v3, and only the semi-final/final match(es) are 6v6.

It's a nice, fast-paced metagame. Like McGraw said above, Focus Sash is used a lot, and long setups are generally unsuccesful. Choice users are more tricky to use, since you've got less switches, but since in a 3v3 you already 'start at late game', you don't need that much coverage and being locked into a move won't hurt you that much.

Trick Room and Rain teams are pretty popular, because they don't need many turns of setup to be effective.

One thing that also works okay in a 3v3 metagame are the 'Hyper Beam' moves. I remember a guy who did well with that Nasty Plot Persian, but he used Hyper Beam instead of Swift, and another one who used Giga Impact Slaking as a 'last Pokémon cleaner' of sorts. While still not the best strategies, they're much more viable.
This. There's also a huge use of Scarfkiss and Wide Lens Yanmega, IIRC. And Garchomp seems to see little use.

I should go to these tournaments more often.

Huh? When did I say this was new?

Anyways, I remember back on NB, Regirock was popular for some reason on these teams, I think it had to do with Japan using them or something.

I don't think of this as a great idea.. ok but not great.. It would pretty much be a 50% battle, most wins would be off of your team's typing compared to the other teams..

Sounds like PBR to me.

- - -

I disagree with the "countering themselves" idea, as I feel that there would be such diversity that it wouldn't be very centralised and you wouldn't know what team you opponants have. I think that this metagame could be very viable.
Me too PBR personally is more challenging due to the lack of tiers, and the randomess of strategies; However I doubt this will take off due to the lack of people wanting to participate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)