4th gen Gravity team

First off I want to explain what my team is about.
My team is a Gravity team.
It uses the field move gravity to its advantage.
Gravity has three effects:
1. All Flying type and levitating Pokémon are dragged out of the sky and are forced to be hit by ground type moves. Aka Gengar dies quickly.

2. Evasiveness is lowered by two stages from 5/5 to 3/5. Meaning every move gets a 40% accuracy boost. So every move with an accuracy of 60%-95% now has perfect accuracy.

3. It lasts for 5 turns.

Starmie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Gravity
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Thunder

Starmie is my attacking lead. The Focus sash is so that you can at least set up gravity since no one expects Starmie to set up a thing. Then you proceed to massacre people with your perfectly accurate 120 base power moves. Its Blizzard and Thunder is Bolt/Beam on steroids. Not many things that people call counters or checks to a normal Starmie can handle the power increase so many things will fall. But if a priority user like Dragonite beats it…it at least set up gravity for the team.

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Gravity
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Metagross is my self-serving sweeper of choice for my team. He sets up gravity easily with his bulk he then proceeds to destroy things with his new Meteor Mash/Earthquake combo that very few resist. Explosion is for clearing a path for a Non-Gravity user to abuse the gravity turns once Metagross is done with them.

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Ground (70)
- Protect

You think Yanmega was good before I think I (and –Red-) made an even more epic one. Okay so after somebody sets up gravity and switches (or suicides) to bring in Yanmega you use protect to get the speed boost. Next you fire off a 100% accurate Hypnosis. Then all you do is hit the sleeping Pokémon or whatever comes in for the switch as hard as possible because the only thing out speeding you is priority moves.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Arial Ace

Ah my favorite revenge killer <3. This is just your simple OU choice band Dugtrio but what really makes this baby shine is that with gravity up he can trap everything and most likely OHKO the opponent with earthquake. Sucker punch is for those pesky Pokémon who are faster than Dugtrio and the priority users. And Stone Edge/Arial Ace is for coverage.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Softboiled
- Gravity
- Blizzard

This is my local special sponge of choice for my team. basicly i switch in on an obvious special move shurg it off like no bodys businness. she then sets up gravity and fires of boltbeam on roids or switches out to a better abuser.

Forretress @ Shed Shell/Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gravity
- Rapid Spin

Forretress is my support for the team. rapid spin is to make sure that yanmega doesnt die from stealth rock. spikes and stealth rock are for obvious residual damage and this is a gravity team so its use is kinda needed as well.

As you can tell the two walls are really my biggest flaws. I’m offensive minded so when I was told to try to make a wall or two the last two are my pitiful attempts. If you can help replace or improve those two that would be gladly appreciated. The last two team slots need these two things. One of them needs to set up gravity and one needs to be able to spin. All ideas are welcome please be harsh :)

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your EVs for blissey are inefficient, adding hp to blissey is not a good idea, put them in physical defense, if you're running an offensive gravity team and want to use blissey perhaps a 252 def, 252 sp.a EV set with modest should be considered. Forretress is not a wall, it is a hazard layer, a physical one is something like hippowdon or resttalk Gyara, offensive gravity teams shouldn't run more than SR anyway. A balanced gravity user to be considered is dusknoir, it is bulky and can run dynamic punch under gravity, and set it up himself. GL with your team.

I would probably replace focus sash with life orb on Starmie because almost nothing OHKO's it and the extra power would 2HKO many leads such as swampert and metagross with Hydro Pump. I would also change Yanmega to timid and replace protect with bug buzz and speed boost with tinted lens.

Yuor descriptions for Blissey and Forretress are too short, please expand them.
Fixed.

Your EVs for blissey are inefficient, adding hp to blissey is not a good idea, put them in physical defense, if you're running an offensive gravity team and want to use blissey perhaps a 252 def, 252 sp.a EV set with modest should be considered. Forretress is not a wall, it is a hazard layer, a physical one is something like hippowdon or resttalk Gyara, offensive gravity teams shouldn't run more than SR anyway. A balanced gravity user to be considered is dusknoir, it is bulky and can run dynamic punch under gravity, and set it up himself. GL with your team.
these ideas are intresting. who would dusknoir replace in your idea?

I would probably replace focus sash with life orb on Starmie because almost nothing OHKO's it and the extra power would 2HKO many leads such as swampert and metagross with Hydro Pump. I would also change Yanmega to timid and replace protect with bug buzz and speed boost with tinted lens.
starmie needs the sash to set up gravity. i used to run a life orb but he was destroyed way to easily. and yanmega is awesome as is. it needs protect for speed boost and scout new moves. i run speed boost over tinted lens because he is only out for a short time and needs to out speed things.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like all temporary field effects such as rain dance in 4th gen, gravity and trick room (that's it actually), maintaining offensive momentum to abuse the turns of which you have set up gravity is vital.
Due to my limited playing with gravity most of what I offer is theorymonning out of my ass, but rest assured, at least some of my points will be valid (I've played against gravity, so it's not entirely theorymonning).
Your most devastating gravity sweepers are as follows -
Starmie, Mamoswine, Azelf, Flygon (although weaker than mamo, is a lot faster).
The basic premise of using sweepers is to not allow them to take life-threatening hits and to boost their own to allow them to KO the opposing team without being taken out themselves.
Save mamoswine the other three aforementioned sweepers are quite fast, and can outspeed most of the metagame to hammer opposing pokemon with gravity accuracy boosted attacks.
Therefore mamoswine is more useful against stall teams which are generally slower and will have trouble with stab, now with no immunities earthquake (although there is still a problem with hippowdon).
The other three are more versatile and can deal with opposing offensive teams more easily due to highspeed.
It is generally in one's best interests to not lead with a gravity sweeper, rather getting them into battle unscatched with gravity already set up through either an explosion or a u-turn, very much similar to rain.
Leads that should be considered, Jirachi (highly unpredictable, opponents may switch out in their fearing of a scarf), smeargle (taunt bait for faster pokemon, although it may run a set of trick, u-turn, stealth rock, gravity with a choice scarf to outspeed base 130's), and Bronzong (complete set up bait, but does well against bulky slow leads that can't do jack to it, and has explosion).
Your team should have at least 2 or 3 reliable gravity users, with the remainder being sweepers. Reliable gravity users have to have defensive synergy in terms of typing and bulk with the sweepers of the team, allowing them to switch in, take a hit, set up gravity on the switch, u-turn/explode/healing wish (will explain later) to another sweeper.
Therefore, reliable gravity to be considered are -
Cresselia - extremely bulky on both ends, access to gravity (loses levitate, but oh well), thunder-wave (great support for slower gravity abusers, mamoswine, torterra and rhyperior). A set should run, gravity (duh), moonlight (debatable with lunar dance), thunder wave, reflect or light screen (you will most likely not have time to use all four of these moves in a single game, but the point is to maximize utility in as few moveslots as possible). Lunar Dance allows you to maintain offensive momentum and get one of your maimed sweepers in at full hp and free of status.
Blissey - Its obviously mammoth sp.def stat allows it to effortlessly switch into special attacks, set up gravity, spread status, blah, blah, you know how blissey works. It also has access to healing wish, which is identical to lunar dance, aromatherapy should also be considered. (Although killing off blissey may seem detrimental, due to its great utility in walling special attacks, bringing back one of your sweepers at full hp and free of status may prove to be the smarter option if you simply need to clean up late game, or blow open holes in the opponent's team midgame). A set would probably contain, Gravity, Healing Wish / Aromatherapy, Softboiled or Wish (Wish is illegal with aromatherapy, unless PO recognizes the mimic glitch, which it doesn't, iirc), Toxic or Thunder Wave. Make sure you run max defense EV's with either a bold of calm nature (bold may seemingly not add much percentage-wise, but it allows you to outstall flygon's outrages and EQ's barring crit hax, there are probably some other vital 2HKOs that I am not aware of, but it is an option to consider.
Metagross, despite its offensively leaning stats, can be considered as a defensive pivot due to its great steel typing, ability to set up gravity and abuse its now much more potent combination of 100% accurate meteor mash and no-immune earthquake. It even has access to explosion, a possible set would be -
Explosion, Earthquake, Gravity, Meteor Mash (You may run agility in place of either explosion or gravity if you decide to use metagross as a stable pivot or a late-game sweeper, respectively.
Clefable may also be considered, although it only occupies a niche role, and that is countering stall, with its access to encore, ability to spread status, immunity to passive damage and most importantly, its ability to set up gravity.

Your sweepers should not be placed in the lead position, they are far too important to be sacrificed recklessly and should not simply set up gravity and die, that's what the pivots are for.
Starmie, undoubtedly is an excellent sweeper under gravity effects - although if not using its ability to set up gravity one may consider the somewhat unorthodox replacement of substitute + 3 attacks, easing prediction and providing a buffer, a specs set may also be used, as with trick it allows starmie to cripple blissey.
Azelf, with its access to thunder and fire blast and explosion is a great addition to a gravity team.
Mamoswine, only 2nd to rhyperior in having the strongest OU earthquake (and rhyperior is slow as fuck). Definitely most useful against stall teams, with its earthquake now wrecking skarmory and bronzong, a CB set is now definitely viable due to no immunities on its earthquake.
I definitely agree with the use of Dugtrio, especially a CB set, allowing it to take out blissey like it doesn't care; and with its ability being so much more potent under the effects of gravity, it can even destroy skarmory (although BB has a chance of OHKOing, but it is low and EQ is a guaranteed 2HKO even on physically defensive sets.
Flygon is the fastest earthquake user in OU and can now wield a CS set more effectively, or even a CB set. Definitely a good addition if in need of a method to reliably deal with set uppers or providing a good revenge killer.

That's all I have to say for now, I'm not going to give any absolute changes to 'mons ('cept forry) for the time being, as gravity is quite versatile, but there are a few things I would change, namely, blissey's EVs, starmie's position in the lead (place it in reserve), forretress will have to go, it's either full-stall with gravity, with phazing or it's full offensive; and your placing of forretress is completely, well, out of place. Yanmega is also somewhat dubious, as it is still walled to hell by blissey, and destroyed by SR and bullet punch, it can't even KO tyranitar with stab bug buzz under sand storm so will most likely get destroyed by stone edge / crunch. Definitely something to consider replacing, especially without rapid spin support (which I don't think you should have, considering the hyper offensive nature of this team, although what you seem to have atm is a balanced gravity team, which, by the way, doesn't work, it's either full stall, or full offensive, as I have said before). Oh, and metagross' EVs should just be changed to Max attack, max hp, adamant, it's not going to outspeed much without the use of rock polish/agility, and will still get destroyed by heatran's fireblast.

Nice to see somebody else abusing gravity. I think you'll only need 3 gravity users, as some move slots are vital. I think you can drop Dugtrio for the Movie 10 Raikou. Dugtrio is too frail to be switching in repeatedly. With Raikou, you can force switches and paralyze any oponent hit with an 83% accurate zap cannon. Fun fact: 3 layers of spikes+stealth=50% entry damage to gyarados/togekiss/dragonite when gravity is in effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)