5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Charzaro

(>~ @_@ )>~
OK, that makes sense.
Now what I don't get is how do I get things on higher frames than 3? Do I have to advance the frame before I verify my seed by catching something?
EDIT: For example, I want to get something on frame seven, seewt cented.

Does having the C-gear on randomly shuffle the wild pokemon you can encounter on grass? Sweet Scent only advances the PID right, not the IVs?

OK, that makes sense.
Now what I don't get is how do I get things on higher frames than 3? Do I have to advance the frame before I verify my seed by catching something?
EDIT: For example, I want to get something on frame seven, seewt cented.
You can't verify your seed after advancing your frame. That's why two-stage timers are necessary: calibrate it with an immediate encounter, then start trying to catch your target.

Does having the C-gear on randomly shuffle the wild pokemon you can encounter on grass? Sweet Scent only advances the PID right, not the IVs?
Yes and yes.

Charzaro

(>~ @_@ )>~
But doesn't that advance my frame past where I can record? Am I supposed to turn off or leave on the C-gear after I hit my seed?
So say I need to hit frame seven, do I hit my seed, verify it, and then advance by 4 and catch the poke?

Yes, you can RNG via hard-reset. The above post is wrong (and contradictory, since it first advocates that very method then immediately debunks it...). Just start your game from the DS menu at the end of your first timer and switch on the C-Gear at the end of the second.
There are two ways to hard reset bud. One would be from within the game. Turning it off when in game and then turning it back on. That is the hard reset I was referring to. So I wasn't contradicting myself at all thank you.

To clarify, a hard reset is when you select the Pokemon Black/White logo on the start menu of the DS startup screen, when the first timer is expired right? And from there, you turn the C-Gear on when the second timer exprires also, like a soft reset?

But doesn't that advance my frame past where I can record? Am I supposed to turn off or leave on the C-gear after I hit my seed?
So say I need to hit frame seven, do I hit my seed, verify it, and then advance by 4 and catch the poke?
No:

1. Calibrate a two-stage timer by catching a Pokemon as soon as you enter the game.

2. Once your timer is calibrated, then you can start trying to hit your seed and advancing your frame.

Once you're trying to capture your target, you can't verify your seed at all ahead of time, since yes, battles advance the RNG. So in your example, you'd need to try and hit your seed, advance 4 frames, catch your target, then try to figure out if you actually hit your seed.

There are two ways to hard reset bud. One would be from within the game. Turning it off when in game and then turning it back on. That is the hard reset I was referring to. So I wasn't contradicting myself at all thank you.
Oh boy...

Yes, turning it off, then back on and starting the game from the DS/AR menu. To be frank, it doesn't matter where you are when you turn the game off: a hard reset is a hard reset...especially since the person who asked the question in the first place never even specified one way or another. Speaking of, remember, the original question was whether or not hard-resetting could be used to RNG abuse, to which you replied:

You should always be starting from the DS Menu, or AR menu...it is much more efficient and accurate.
In other words, even by the definition you just gave, a hard reset can be used to RNG, since getting to the DS (and especially AR) menu REQUIRES a hard reset. So, you just advocated using hard resetting, yet then go on to say in the same post:

But to directly answer your question hard resetting isn't possible because you need to start the Pokemon game itself at the end of the timer...
So, first you advocate a method which can only be done via hard reset, then go on to say that hard resetting cannot be used.

Yes, you contradicted yourself.

And you're still wrong.

Thank you and good night.

(PS: It's pretty obvious to anyone who has been through the process at least once that turning off the system while in-game has nothing to do with RNGing, since only twice is any kind of reset involved [setting the clock and then starting the game at the end of the first timer], and since the game can obviously just be started from the DS menu at the end of the first timer, there isn't any point to starting the game only to turn it off and go back to the DS menu again. Therefore, there's no reasonable purpose in even bringing it up. You seem to be the only person here not understanding that. Unless, of course, you only came up with that as some sort of last-minute excuse.)

To clarify, a hard reset is when you select the Pokemon Black/White logo on the start menu of the DS startup screen, when the first timer is expired right? And from there, you turn the C-Gear on when the second timer exprires also, like a soft reset?
Yes, you have it exactly right.

Charzaro

(>~ @_@ )>~
Oh ok, that makes total sense. Thanks, I get it now.
Just to clarify, walking where there are wild pokes advances PID but not ivs, and 128 steps where there are no wild pokes advances the Iv frame, right?

Oh ok, that makes total sense. Thanks, I get it now.
Just to clarify, walking where there are wild pokes advances PID but not ivs, and 128 steps where there are no wild pokes advances the Iv frame, right?
Yes on the PID, and walking 128 steps anywhere will advance the IV frame by the number of Pokemon in your party.

You should look for spreads reported on frame 3, the roamer would then be generated on frame 4, you won't have to advance the frame. Here's my observations on RNGing roamers that you may find helpful:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3394469#post3394469
I forgot to mention in that post that when searching for adjacents for roamers you need to move the Sp. Attack IV to the back and move the Sp. Defense and Speed IVs to the left 1 spot each.

Regarding breeding, has anyone had relatively consistent success without two perfect parents? RNGing a perfect male from the same breed group in 4th gen would be very easy, but if the mother needs to be a 5th gen Pokemon that can't be caught in the wild (Zoroark, fossils, starters, etc.) then I can see that being difficult to breed using RNG abuse.
That post was really helpful thanks! :toast:

I'm a bit confused on how the step counter works.

I hit my seed (46F52353) and I needed to hit frame 28 (So 25 advancements). I had 5 pokemon in my party and walked 640 steps (128 x 5 = 640). Then, I walked into the grass and sweet scented, so my question is, how come I didn't get the right IVs? Should I do something after I walk a certain amount of steps to make sure the frame advances how I need it to?

Thanks in advance.

I hit my seed (46F52353) and I needed to hit frame 28 (So 25 advancements). I had 5 pokemon in my party and walked 640 steps (128 x 5 = 640). Then, I walked into the grass and sweet scented, so my question is, how come I didn't get the right IVs? Should I do something after I walk a certain amount of steps to make sure the frame advances how I need it to?

Thanks in advance.
Did you take any extra steps after the 640? If you did, you likely went over your frame.

Thanks in advance.
Was the step into the grass the 640th step? If not, then you could have caused the step counter to go over to a 6th advancement even by taking one extra step. Or, if you confirmed your seed by catching a Pokemon, then that would certainly explain it, since the RNG runs constantly during battles.

Was the step into the grass the 640th step? If not, then you could have caused the step counter to go over to a 6th advancement even by taking one extra step. Or, if you confirmed your seed by catching a Pokemon, then that would certainly explain it, since the RNG runs constantly during battles.
No, the 640th step wasn't in the grass, and I confirmed my seed via AR code. But I don't see how taking one extra step causes an advancement if you have to walk 128 steps to advance the frame :/

So, is there any way to prevent this, or am I just going to have to hope for the best? Thanks in advance.

Brand new to this, and have read through over twenty pages of this thread and i have a a few (probably incredibly newbie) questions.

1. I have figured out the time and delay i am going for, but I'm not sure how to set up a time in conjunction with these. I am using ZomgTimer.

2. I wasn't quite sure on the rules for hatching pokemon with an IV spread that i wanted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have figured out the time and delay i am going for, but I'm not sure how to set up a time in conjunction with these. I am using ZomgTimer.
Let's have a look at an example: target time is 03.27.2011, 11:15:34, delay is 2433. Open ZomgTimer, choose Gen 5 -C Gear mode, and then enter 2433 for target delay and 34 for target second. For calibration, just fill in -45 for DSi or -95 for DS Lite. Calibration will update itself during calibration progress. The timer says "Minutes Before Target: 1", so set the date in your NDS to 03.27.2011 and time to 11:14 (that's 1 minute before target). Simultaneously confirm the time in your NDS and start the timer. Switch off your NDS and switch it on again. When the first timer hits 0, just start the game from DS menu. Do not activate the C-Gear at continue screen, but activate ingame once the second timer hits 0. Then, advance the frame. However, if your target frame is above 5, you will not be a able to do a precise calibration because your result won't show up in Time Finder. In this case, just try to catch your mon on frame 1. Alternatively, you can find the seed you hit in Time Finder with knowledge of its exact IVs.
2. I wasn't quite sure on the rules for hatching pokemon with an IV spread that i wanted.
The base IV set is a normal Method 5 spread, so use Time Finder to get a base set. Nature and inheritance is not controllable yet, so use a power item to inherit the stats you like and use an everstone to pass nature. So just hit your seed once the old man holds the egg, take it and hope for good inheritance for now. There is no such thing as RNG'ing IVs and PID in two steps like it was in gen 4.

When RNGing Tornadus, you kind of try to influence the PIDRNG when going through the text when you're outside of the house, correct?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
When RNGing Tornadus, you kind of try to influence the PIDRNG when going through the text when you're outside of the house, correct?
By button mashing? It's hard to influence the PIDRNG when you have no idea what the frame's gonna be.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, turning it off, then back on and starting the game from the DS/AR menu. To be frank, it doesn't matter where you are when you turn the game off: a hard reset is a hard reset...especially since the person who asked the question in the first place never even specified one way or another. Speaking of, remember, the original question was whether or not hard-resetting could be used to RNG abuse, to which you replied:

In other words, even by the definition you just gave, a hard reset can be used to RNG, since getting to the DS (and especially AR) menu REQUIRES a hard reset. So, you just advocated using hard resetting, yet then go on to say in the same post:

So, first you advocate a method which can only be done via hard reset, then go on to say that hard resetting cannot be used.

Yes, you contradicted yourself.

And you're still wrong.

Thank you and good night.

(PS: It's pretty obvious to anyone who has been through the process at least once that turning off the system while in-game has nothing to do with RNGing, since only twice is any kind of reset involved [setting the clock and then starting the game at the end of the first timer], and since the game can obviously just be started from the DS menu at the end of the first timer, there isn't any point to starting the game only to turn it off and go back to the DS menu again. Therefore, there's no reasonable purpose in even bringing it up. You seem to be the only person here not understanding that. Unless, of course, you only came up with that as some sort of last-minute excuse.)
Not to burst your bubble here, but there really are 2 different ways to go about this. Granted they will both work about the same, most likely. I have my DS set to skip the menu and load straight into the game. This is the way I've always played and this is the way he's referring to when he's talking about hard resetting. Yes, they are both hard resetting, but this is what he meant. Contradiction removed.

On a side note, SRing is more accurate for me. I'm not a fan of starting from a menu or anything.

I'm going to be RNG Thundurus:

It said that the minimum frame for roamers was 2. So I would save in the house on route 7 with 3 pokemon in my party, set up date and time, do the advancements and then walk out?

Target (8) - Initial (3) - Starting (2) = 3 advancements?

Is this right? I need to be absolutely sure that this is right.

Not to burst your bubble here, but there really are 2 different ways to go about this. Granted they will both work about the same, most likely. I have my DS set to skip the menu and load straight into the game. This is the way I've always played and this is the way he's referring to when he's talking about hard resetting. Yes, they are both hard resetting, but this is what he meant. Contradiction removed.
I doubt that's what he was talking about since he also mentioned using an AR, when it doesn't matter if you have your DS set to skip the menu or not since you still have to enter your codes at the end of the first timer. Of course, he'll probably claim that it was either way now that you brought it up, mostly to save face if nothing else...but it doesn't matter. The original post still contradicted itself by mentioning hard-reset-exclusive methods as being the best but then immediately shooting down the prospect of hard-resetting, and whether he meant one specific type of hard resetting at the time or not is irrelevant since neither he nor the person he was responding to were at all specific about it at the time (had he been even a little more specific about what he was talking about instead of using the all-encompassing term, this whole thing never would have happened. In fact, that's why I'm almost positive that saying "There are two ways to hard reset and I was talking about the other one" is nothing more than an excuse he came up with after the fact, if not a prelude to trolling as I'm starting to wonder, since a sensible person would have made the distinction). Also, no matter how you look at it, hard-resetting can still be used to RNG, which makes his initial post wrong, which was originally the more important point in my post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 28)