5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
Been trying to find my parameters for my new White 2 version and I'm at my wit's end. I've RNGed tons in White (1) and in 4th gen and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Using RNG Reporter 9.96.5 BETA and a DSi XL, I've gotten 5-6 different VCount and VFrame values from both types of parameter searches (Unova Link and Sweet Scent)- that is, when I actually find results, less than 1/2 the time.
The Sweet Scent encounters I am doing are in the Virbank Complex (the exterior part in the city) and then turning on the C-Gear and trading them over to my White to have their IVs checked via Action Replay, if that makes any difference (which I don't think it does as I don't think there are any WNPCs).

Have double-checked my MAC Address, my language (English), Version (White 2), and I'm not touching any buttons until the star appears. Any idea of what I might be missing?
Edit: I also have ensured my date and time are correct.
I assume you aren't very far into the game? There are NPCs in the Virbank Complex. I think to cut down time it'd be better to fly over to the start of Victory Road and Sweet Scent calibrate there (the Pokemon are high enough level to get distinct IVs/ranges using the in-built calculator). Otherwise, I'm pretty clueless.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Been trying to find my parameters for my new White 2 version and I'm at my wit's end. I've RNGed tons in White (1) and in 4th gen and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Using RNG Reporter 9.96.5 BETA and a DSi XL, I've gotten 5-6 different VCount and VFrame values from both types of parameter searches (Unova Link and Sweet Scent)- that is, when I actually find results, less than 1/2 the time.
The Sweet Scent encounters I am doing are in the Virbank Complex (the exterior part in the city) and then turning on the C-Gear and trading them over to my White to have their IVs checked via Action Replay, if that makes any difference (which I don't think it does as I don't think there are any WNPCs).

Have double-checked my MAC Address, my language (English), Version (White 2), and I'm not touching any buttons until the star appears. Any idea of what I might be missing?
Edit: I also have ensured my date and time are correct.
As lockiegengar12 said, it would be a lot easier if you had access to higher level Pokemon, but that might be a moot point. NPC's don't matter when you calibrate, so that's not an issue. Don't bother with the Unova Link method though since that feature doesn't work in your version. Have you tried widening your search parameters? It's possible that you are slightly off on your timing (possibly due to your external timer being slightly off). Are you getting more than 1 result each time you actually get results?

I assume you aren't very far into the game? There are NPCs in the Virbank Complex. I think to cut down time it'd be better to fly over to the start of Victory Road and Sweet Scent calibrate there (the Pokemon are high enough level to get distinct IVs/ranges using the in-built calculator). Otherwise, I'm pretty clueless.
Nope, not very far at all:/ is there any other relatively early places where I can sweet scent without NPCs? (I can check IVs via trade over to white)

As lockiegengar12 said, it would be a lot easier if you had access to higher level Pokemon, but that might be a moot point. NPC's don't matter when you calibrate, so that's not an issue. Don't bother with the Unova Link method though since that feature doesn't work in your version. Have you tried widening your search parameters? It's possible that you are slightly off on your timing (possibly due to your external timer being slightly off). Are you getting more than 1 result each time you actually get results?
I figured NPCs didn't. I have used the default parameters which I assumed were wide enough already. Once I got two results when searching but most of the time it has been one highly inconsistent result.
Edit: Unova Link method doesn't work in English white 2?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I figured NPCs didn't. I have used the default parameters which I assumed were wide enough already. Once I got two results when searching but most of the time it has been one highly inconsistent result.
Ok. Yeah, the defaults should be fine, I was just thinking more along the lines of the seconds if your timer was out of synch. Are you hard resetting after setting the time? So, have you tried setting the time, powering off, powering on, and then starting the game at the appropriate time?

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
Edit: Unova Link method doesn't work in English white 2?
It can only be performed on Black 2 / White 2, but it doesn't really work in RNGReporter (yet?).

Ok. Yeah, the defaults should be fine, I was just thinking more along the lines of the seconds if your timer was out of synch. Are you hard resetting after setting the time? So, have you tried setting the time, powering off, powering on, and then starting the game at the appropriate time?
Mhmm. That's the method I normally use as the "return to DSi Menu" buttons tend to mess up my timing slightly for whatever reason.

It's buggy in 9.96.5, but iirc it works fine in 9.96.6 alpha
Would you happen to have the download link for said 9.96.6? :)
Edit: Found it. Lemme see if Unova Link calibration works now

edit 2: Still very, very inconsistent- 8 trials thus far, all with different results (or none at all). None of the results outputted still showed up in the search when I continued doing spinner advances either :/ I'm toying with the idea of running PPRNG on an iPad or even a virtual machine as I've seen friends have success with it previously. Does the iOS version support Unova Link searches?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Would you happen to have the download link for said 9.96.6? :)
Edit: Found it. Lemme see if Unova Link calibration works now

edit 2: Still very, very inconsistent- 8 trials thus far, all with different results (or none at all). None of the results outputted still showed up in the search when I continued doing spinner advances either :/ I'm toying with the idea of running PPRNG on an iPad or even a virtual machine as I've seen friends have success with it previously. Does the iOS version support Unova Link searches?
Have you done memory link? I'm not sure if this is still an issue (or is relevant to the reporter), but you can try checking the box saying that you have (even if you haven't) and seeing if that gives you more consistent results.

Yes, pprng supports UL calibration.

Have you done memory link? I'm not sure if this is still an issue (or is relevant to the reporter), but you can try checking the box saying that you have (even if you haven't) and seeing if that gives you more consistent results.

Yes, pprng supports UL calibration.
I've tried about 10 or so searches experimenting with it and haven't gotten any positive results.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I've tried about 10 or so searches experimenting with it and haven't gotten any positive results.
Are you starting the game at the same time/date every time (and I'm assuming you're putting in the time you push A to start the game)? If so, you can try picking a different date/time and seeing if that changes anything. Sometimes that seems to help.

Also, would you mind posting a screen shot of your parameters window? I'll just double check to make sure there's nothing blatantly wrong.

Are you starting the game at the same time/date every time (and I'm assuming you're putting in the time you push A to start the game)? If so, you can try picking a different date/time and seeing if that changes anything. Sometimes that seems to help.

Also, would you mind posting a screen shot of your parameters window? I'll just double check to make sure there's nothing blatantly wrong.
I've been using two different dates (I switched from one after it gave me inconsistent results). But otherwise, yeah, everything is entered correctly. I've actually RNGed in my friend's Black 2, so I'm honestly clueless as to why it is giving me this much trouble.
Edit: Both parameter window screenshots added.
Edit 2: Bizarrely enough, using PPRNG I've been able to output the same VCount, VFrame, and Timer0 twice. The other results have been fairly similar as well as of the last 5 trials. So I guess PPRNG is going to be my tool of choice. Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I've been using two different dates (I switched from one after it gave me inconsistent results). But otherwise, yeah, everything is entered correctly. I've actually RNGed in my friend's Black 2, so I'm honestly clueless as to why it is giving me this much trouble.
Edit: Both parameter window screenshots added.

Thanks. Yeah the setup seems fine/consistent. So you are using the same times every time and sometimes you get results and sometimes not? If that's the case, then the only thing that is different is your timing. So if you get results, try doing the exact same thing next time (I'm sure you probably are). I'd also try doing at different seconds values to see if that changes anything. If these two times/dates aren't working, then it's probably worth trying another. Are the different results you are getting at least close together albeit different?

There has to be something else going on that's causing you to not get consistent results. I'm just not sure what that is atm :/

edit: it would appear that you're now getting results with PPRNG. Perhaps it's just that is more of a stable/forgiving searcher than the reporter's.

Last edited:
Following the edits to my previous post:
PPRNG seems to be giving me fairly consistent results; I remember reading that VCount isn't supposed to vary though. (It's shifting between AC and AD.) Is this a new thing in B2W2 similar to the broader range of Timer0s or is it still too inconsistent?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Following the edits to my previous post:
PPRNG seems to be giving me fairly consistent results; I remember reading that VCount isn't supposed to vary though. (It's shifting between AC and AD.) Is this a new thing in B2W2 similar to the broader range of Timer0s or is it still too inconsistent?
The Vcount sometimes varies for some 3ds/dsi users. It's fine.

edit: Glad you got it working :). And to be more accurate, it sometimes switches between adjacent values, which yours apparently does.

Alright, I'm back, unfortunately:(

So, I'm attempting to RNG my TID/SID in White 2 after finally having been able to get consistent parameter results via PPRNG for iOS.

Using RNG Reporter 9.96.5, I'm attempting to hit the following seed:

Unlike before however, I am getting a result (TID 35243) with some consistency, though in attempting to find an adjacent, the Pandora's Box Seed Finder does not output any similar results to the above seed.

I have RNGed my IDs in Soul Silver and in White (1) so, again, I'm pretty comfortable with the process.

So, my questions:
-What differences are there between BW1 and BW2 as far as RNGing your TID/SID goes, aside from a lot more Timer0s? Are the methods of advancement (saying "No" to Juniper) still the same?
-Is the Pandora's Box Seed Finder still usable for White 2 or am I forced to just keep trying until I hit my seed?
-If I can't use the Seed Finder, how can I find out what seed I did hit so that I can make proper adjustments?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know of a alternate download link for 9.96.5 the link on the main page doesn't work
This might be it (I didn't label my bookmarks correctly because I'm silly -.- )
Edit: XP Ver.
I believe the first link is 9.96.6a. No idea for the XP Version :/.

Esmeya : No need to be sorry. I was simply meaning I don't know what version the XP Version's Version# is (and that hopefully 9.96.6a was sufficient for the above's purposes). :)

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
So, my questions:
-What differences are there between BW1 and BW2 as far as RNGing your TID/SID goes, aside from a lot more Timer0s? Are the methods of advancement (saying "No" to Juniper) still the same?
-Is the Pandora's Box Seed Finder still usable for White 2 or am I forced to just keep trying until I hit my seed?
-If I can't use the Seed Finder, how can I find out what seed I did hit so that I can make proper adjustments?
-The process is the same as before.
-You can still use it, although iirc the frames are 1 too small in Pandora's Box

The column said true when I rng'd my starter, but I wanted it shiny. I do know know if it still has to say true in general for it to work, but I don't think so. Could you post a screenshot again of the Pandora's box? What is probably happening is that you are just hitting a different Timer0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)