5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

No difference procedurally (which is true of most forms of RNG between the 2 games). The Latios is a stationary encounter.
Thanks - but which method am I using in the RNG Reporter Drop Down? Gen V IV's? Also, there is a 1 second delay for Nintendo DS Lite systems correct? So I have to load the game 1 second before the seed?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks - but which method am I using in the RNG Reporter Drop Down? Gen V IV's? Also, there is a 1 second delay for Nintendo DS Lite systems correct? So I have to load the game 1 second before the seed?
In the Time Finder you'd want to use IVs (Standard Seed) as the method, and in the main window you'd use Gen 5 PIDRNG. Both use the encounter type of Stationary Pokemon. You'd get the exact delay from calibration, but for the most part yeah the delay is 1 second for a DS Lite. Assuming the delay is 1 second, right. You'd press A to boot the game from the DS menu 1 second before the time for your seed. :)

In the Time Finder you'd want to use IVs (Standard Seed) as the method, and in the main window you'd use Gen 5 PIDRNG. Both use the encounter type of Stationary Pokemon. You'd get the exact delay from calibration, but for the most part yeah the delay is 1 second for a DS Lite. Assuming the delay is 1 second, right. You'd press A to boot the game from the DS menu 1 second before the time for your seed. :)
Thanks a lot for your help. 1 last question:

What are the proper times to press, and subsequently release, the required button presses? Once I hit A to load the game, do I start pressing immediately?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks a lot for your help. 1 last question:

What are the proper times to press, and subsequently release, the required button presses? Once I hit A to load the game, do I start pressing immediately?
Np :)

That's what I do yeah. As soon as I hit A to boot the game from the DS menu, I hold down the keypresses until I see the shooting star. Some people like to hold the keypresses down before hitting A to boot the game, but either works. If A is one of the keypresses, just press A to boot the game and keep holding it down until you see that shooting star.

Can I calibrate BW2 the same way I calibrated BW1? Mac address is the same/it's the same DS.

I was planning on saving in front of a stationary legend like Heatran to get my most common Timer0. Is it true that some copies of BW2 have very inconsistent Timer0's and is there anything I can do to alleviate this issue?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Can I calibrate BW2 the same way I calibrated BW1? Mac address is the same/it's the same DS.

I was planning on saving in front of a stationary legend like Heatran to get my most common Timer0. Is it true that some copies of BW2 have very inconsistent Timer0's and is there anything I can do to alleviate this issue?
Yup, the old method of capturing Pokemon and checking the IVs still works! (You also have the option of using the Unova Link tool to calibrate now, but I'd stick with catching the Heatran). The parameters will be different from BW, so the fact it's the same DS won't matter too much.

Yeah your Timer0 will likely fluctuate a lot. I have 2 pretty consistent values, and about 5 it fluctuates between (others have had more). Just being as consistent as you can in booting the game from the DS menu is about all you can do to alleviate it. Iirc the original DS and DS Lite are more stable than a DSi/3ds. Even way, you're still going to get trolled.

Haven't done this in several years so maybe I'm looking at something wrong. Regarding the PIDRNG, is there a reason why some frames that aren't supposed to be synch-able actually are and some that are supposed to be actually aren't? I'm 100% certain it's the correct seed and PID frame. Confirmed by the IVs and PID/encounter slot. Everything is right except the nature sometimes.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Haven't done this in several years so maybe I'm looking at something wrong. Regarding the PIDRNG, is there a reason why some frames that aren't supposed to be synch-able actually are and some that are supposed to be actually aren't? I'm 100% certain it's the correct seed and PID frame. Confirmed by the IVs and PID/encounter slot. Everything is right except the nature sometimes.
Iirc, there's a bug in the RNG Reporter where some synch frames actually aren't. I seem to recall that coming up when people went for shiny frames, but it would seem normal frames aren't immune (assuming of course your target wasn't a shiny).

Iirc, there's a bug in the RNG Reporter where some synch frames actually aren't. I seem to recall that coming up when people went for shiny frames, but it would seem normal frames aren't immune (assuming of course your target wasn't a shiny).
Ah ok that would make sense. I actually do remember that about shiny frames, happened to me quite a few times. I wasn't going for shininess in this case and worked my way around it. Was just wondering if it was a bug or not.

Im doing Hidden Grotto abuse for a Dragonite in White 2. I cant seem to get it to appear depsite doing other Hidden Grottos with ease. Based on the encounter table in shiny finder 's sig I have slot as 0 and 0,1,2,3 checked for sub slot. Can anyone verify if this is correct? I know my Timer0 is very consistent.

Edit: Is there an in game limit to how many Hidden Grottos you can rng in a given period of time?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Im doing Hidden Grotto abuse for a Dragonite in White 2. I cant seem to get it to appear depsite doing other Hidden Grottos with ease. Based on the encounter table in shiny finder 's sig I have slot as 0 and 0,1,2,3 checked for sub slot. Can anyone verify if this is correct? I know my Timer0 is very consistent.

Edit: Is there an in game limit to how many Hidden Grottos you can rng in a given period of time?
The slots look correct. If it's not populating the grotto/populating with the wrong thing, it's probably because: 1) You're not walking the right number of steps in the grotto, 2) You're missing your seed due to wrong DS time/wrong keypresses etc, 3) You don't have all of the other grottos filled with something (With respect to the encounter slots, you only need the grottos above the one you're trying to RNG in filled. Since you're in the last grotto, you need all of the others filled).

3 is probably the most likely culprit here. If you're sure everything is right and all of the other grottos are filled, I'd try a different seed.

And nope, there's no limit.

The slots look correct. If it's not populating the grotto/populating with the wrong thing, it's probably because: 1) You're not walking the right number of steps in the grotto, 2) You're missing your seed due to wrong DS time/wrong keypresses etc, 3) You don't have all of the other grottos filled with something (With respect to the encounter slots, you only need the grottos above the one you're trying to RNG in filled. Since you're in the last grotto, you need all of the others filled).

3 is probably the most likely culprit here. If you're sure everything is right and all of the other grottos are filled, I'd try a different seed.

And nope, there's no limit.
It's 256 steps in the grotto right? Is there an EXACT amount I need to walk or is it just >256 so that the grotto populates?

All the other grottos are filled.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
It's 256 steps in the grotto right? Is there an EXACT amount I need to walk or is it just >256 so that the grotto populates?

All the other grottos are filled.
It's really just >256, though I wouldn't do too much more. Iirc I just ran around the perimeter 8 times then ran out of the grotto. If you're sure everything else is right, then yeah I'd just try a different seed. I'd also say it's Timer0 trolling, but you said yours is really consistent (which is surprising itself! :P)

Hi there! Im HG SS right now and i play record movie to hit my seed but after i press A it changes the intitial seed is it normal? I don't know why but i d'ont know how to RNG anymore lol

Was it possible to RNG the shiny Genesect from 2013? Cannot for the life of me figure out why it isn't working. Same seed works for other wondercards.

Was it possible to RNG the shiny Genesect from 2013? Cannot for the life of me figure out why it isn't working. Same seed works for other wondercards.
Yes, though if I remember correctly the atk IV is fixed to 31, which changes how a seed's IVs work on it.

Yes, though if I remember correctly the atk IV is fixed to 31, which changes how a seed's IVs work on it.
Can somebody expand on this? This could be the problem.

Edit: Ok it seems it comes with 31 in atk AND speed. So how would I go about RNGing it?

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can somebody expand on this? This could be the problem.

Edit: Ok it seems it comes with 31 in atk AND speed. So how would I go about RNGing it?
This ought to help you:
The Movie Genesect is different from the other Pokémon events because of the fixed 31 IV in Attack and Speed.
If you are planning to abuse the red Genesect, you gotta compare the IVs of the frame you hit with the target frame and adjust it.
The fixed IVs will end up dropping the last two IVs of the frame and shift others to later IVs.
I'll try to do an example to make this thing more easy. So... if you have a frame that has the following IVs: 1/5/9/21/2/6, once time you've hit your target frame, you'll get a Genesect with the following IVs: 1/31/5/9/21/31.
If you guys want to RNG a hex flawless red Genesect, you have to search your spread leaving empty the SDef & Spe dialogue boxes beacause RNG Reporter doesn't know how to calculate the right frame for Wondercards with static traits.

Genesect is +6 while Mewtwo is +8.
So basically, search for a 31/31/31/31/x/x seed and then hit the frame 6 before your target and you should get the result you're after.

I know this was asked before but I can't find it.

Are the DS parameters (Timer0, etc.) cartridge specific or do they depend on the game?
To be specific when I restart a game do I need to check for my DS Parameters again? (Black/White 2)

Notes about BW2/RNG Reporter 9.96, read before posting:
RNG Reporter has updated to .NET Framework 4.5 (download here) allowing searches to be significantly faster. This does mean that Windows XP is no longer supported. Windows XP version can be downloaded from here.
  • Certain Languages are nto supported on DSi, if you want to help us out look here.
  • Dream radar is currently not supported in Reporter
  • CGear seeds no longer exist, turning on the CGear advances the IVRNG by 2 frames and advances the PIDRNG like usual
  • Entralink starts on IV frame 25
  • Memory linking offsets the PIDRNG initial frame by 1 so check the box for it in your profile if you have memory linked.
  • Timer0 ranges are much wider. Some people have 12-15 different Timer0s. Tip: Using Eon Timer to hit your seed greatly increases your consistency for hitting a specific Timer0.
  • Breeding is a total mess, don't even try to breed in BW2 for now. It might never be possible to do much of any breeding. Be happy there's no new egg moves I know of.
  • Shiny Charm support will be added at a later date due to the vast amount of work to implement it.

Please consider making a donation to support RNG Reporter's programmer, Slashmolder! Working on it takes up a great deal of his personal time, and every dollar helps to keep him working on new features to RNG Reporter.

DREAM RADAR ABUSE / UNOVA LINK CALIBRATION GUIDE FOR PPRNG

Onsite Guide to RNG Manipulation in Black/White

Onsite Guide to RNG Manipulation in Black/White with PPRNG

Encounter Slots
Smogon's on-site RNG Mechanics Guide
Rough C-Gear Guide (this post)
Standard Seed Guide
Entralink RNG Guide

Rules:

If you are asking for help, these are questions you need to be answering in your post. Posts asking for help without following these rules will be ignored.
  • Please list which version of RNG Reporter or PPRNG you are using. If you are not using the latest version, don't ask questions until you do.
  • What are you trying to capture\hatch? Please specify whether you are attempting to breed a shiny Pokémon, breed IVs onto a Pokémon, or capture a Pokémon.
  • What is your target seed and frame? What is the delay of that seed? What is the MAC address of the DS you are using?
  • How did you verify your seed?
  • If you tried and failed, what results did you get? You NEED to know this so you can figure out what went wrong. Results are either the IV\nature of the Pokemon you caught, or an ID\SID if you are attempting ID\SID abuse.

General Posting Rules:
  • Please do not ask for AR codes. Please do not give them to people to ask for them. Please do not answer with AR codes. They are all out there on the internet and can be googled.
  • Please do not make "Help me find my SID" requests in this thread! For that you may use the Simple Questions sticky in this forum.
  • DO NOT ASK when the next release of RNG Reporter will be out.
  • And once again, do not ask about AR codes.
My RNG Reporter development notes: do not ask about anything within them or you will be infracted
They are for my purposes only, and they do not need to make sense to anyone but me. They are only here to give people a sense of what progress is being made in the meantime.
However, feel free to leave comments on the discussion page. If this gets abused, I will take it down.

A Guide to 5th Generation RNG Manipulation
written by Kaphotics
edited by OmegaDonut

Introduction

For the past two concurrent Pokémon generations, there was a direct nature–IV relationship for Pokémon captured in the wild, as a result of the random number generator, or RNG, outputting fewer nature-IV combinations than there were nature-IV possibilities.

In the fifth generation of Pokémon, the IVs are determined by a separate RNG instead of along with the PID, which determines nature, gender, ability, and shininess. This means that there is no longer a relationship between IVs and PID. This implies that there is no longer an IV restriction on natures, so any nature can now have any combination of IVs!

This Mersenne Twister based IV RNG (abbreviated MTIVRNG or IVRNG) is very easy to control, so long as you know your initial seeds. There are two types of seeds, called non-C-Gear seeds and C-Gear seeds.

• Non-C-Gear seeds do not require delay to hit, only precision down to the second. These seeds are determined the second you soft reset your game as opposed to pressing continue. The downside is that we cannot yet manipulate these initial seeds to selectively target spreads, but they are extremely easy to hit.
  • C-Gear seeds use delay, and are set when you turn on the C-Gear. There are two points in which you can activate the C-Gear:
    - At the continue screen
    - In game​
    Activating the C-Gear at the continue screen have a postponed seeding, the MTRNG is reseeded once you regain control of your character. This is why it is best to get your C-Gear seed in game. By turning on the C-Gear via the Power button at the bottom right and pressing yes, the seed is instantly set.

Prerequisites
  • Pokémon Black or Pokémon White (1/2)
  • RNG Reporter 9 (latest version is 9.96.5) OR
  • PPRNG, a Mac-only program.
  • Knowledge of how to hit seeds in Generation 4
Step by Step Instructions

Step 1 – Setup
  • Save next to a stationary legendary, Delivery Man, or in a cave/patch of grass with sweet scent. You can also RNG the base IVs of eggs if you choose, but you will need to use Power items to force certain IVs to be passed down. Just have the egg ready to be grabbed from the Daycare Man. Alternatively for high frame IV spreads, you can be near the target Pokémon at the closest PC.
  • Have 5 or less Pokémon in your party.
  • Have your DS synced to an external clock, or know what time it is on your DS via the main menu.
  • Save your game.
  • Open up RNG Reporter and select Method 5 in the Time Finder.
Step 2 – Seeds
Non C-Gear seeds:

Videos from bearsfan092:

Pokemon Black and White: Standard Abuse for Legends and Wild Pokemon- Part 1- IV's

Pokemon Black and White: Standard Abuse for Legends and Wild Pokemon- Part 2- Nature/Ability/Shininess

C-Gear seeds:
  • Open up seed Time Finder in RNG Reporter, click the Capture tab and select Method 5 from the Method drop down.
  • In your game, look up the MAC address of your DS.
  • Copy down all 12 digits (leave out the dashes) and put them into the DS MAC Address box.
  • Specify the criteria for an IV spread(s) you want. It is suggested to have a max frame below 2500.
  • Generate the seed list. This will take quite some time, depending on how fast your computer is and how large of a range you specified.

Hitting your C-Gear seed:
  • Obtain your C-Gear seed from RNG Reporter. Press Seed to Time and find a time to hit for your C-Gear seed with your given MAC Address.
  • Start a two stage delay timer to hit your delay and time.
  • Start the game at the time that will give you the correct seconds\delay when the timer ends.
  • When the game asks you to turn on the C-Gear right at the Continue screen, do NOT say yes. Say no and proceed into the game.
  • Click the C-Gear power button. You will see a Yes\No prompt.
  • When the second timer ends, you should be pressing Yes at this screen.
Step 2a - C-Gear Seed Calibration
This section concerns determining how far off your target time\delay you were, and finding out how much to adjust accordingly.

There is no method of verifying that you hit your seed, unlike the Gen IV games. You will have to catch a Pokémon and check its IVs.

To find out how far off you were from hitting the correct time, you will have to use RNG Reporter's Seed to Time:

• Enter the necessary date, time, and MAC address into Seed to Time.
  • Generate a list of adjacents. If this is your first time attempting this, it is recommended you use a wide range of adjacents, in the hundreds.
  • Catch the first Pokémon you encounter immediately after turning on the game. It is preferred that this Pokémon be a stationary legendary or a Pokémon attracted with Sweet Scent in Victory Road, so it's IVs can be easily determined.
  • Determine the Pokémon's IVs. Search for these IVs among the adjacents (the "Search IVs" button).
  • Adjust your timer based on how far off the target you were.
The minimum delay for C-Gear seeds is approximately 1000, so start your search there.

Step 3 – Frames and Spreads
You now know what your MTIVRNG seed is, and you know what frames will get you certain IV spreads. For those who hit C-Gear seeds, leaving it on will cause no side effects, except for changing the resulting nature\gender\ability at a rate of approximately 1 per second. Now to get those spreads on Pokémon!

Things to be sure of:
  • Correct setup for what you are trying to RNG the IVs onto, and at the correct in game starting position (Step 1).
  • Knowing what seed your game has been seeded with (Step 2).
  • Not entered a single battle, or moved at all since you hit that particular seed.
Definition: Initial Frame
• For non C-Gear seeds, your initial frame will be 1.
• For C-Gear seeds, your initial frame will be 1 (technically 3, but RNG Reporter takes care of this for you)

You must now advance your initial frame to the frame right before your target frame, accounting for the method of IV generation for your target Pokémon. So far there are three known types of generation:
  • Regular Generation (for wild Pokémon and stationary legendaries)
    - Starting Frame is 1​
  • Egg Generation
    - Starting Frame is 8​
  • Roamer Generation
    - Starting Frame is 1* (The speed IV will be put before the SpA IV, shifting them right)​
Target – Initial – Starting + 1 = Advances Required

Advancing the frame:
  • Moving 128 steps with Z Pokémon in your party.
    - Advances the frame by Z.​
  • Moving a Pokémon to your party from the PC Box (Withdraw/Move)
    - Advances the frame by 7.​
  • Engaging in a battle.
    - Advances at approximately 120 frames per second. Requires Frame Check code to pull off.
    - This is how you hit frames above 1000. You probably will not have to hit these frames.​

Advancing the frame for the RNG that determines nature\PID\egg inheritence (the PIDRNG):
  • Turning in areas with wild Pokémon
    - Advances the frame by 2 per step.​
  • Walking in areas with wild Pokémon
    - Advances the frame by 2 per step.​
  • Saving
    - Advances the frame by 1 per save.​
  • Chattering Chatot
    - After you have recorded a Chatter, advances the frame by 1 every time you hear its call on the status screen.​
  • The C-Gear
    - Advances at approximately 1 frames per second, but the exact number has not been tested.​
  • Wandering NPCs
After you advanced the frame correctly, you may use the IV frame check code to see if you are at the right point.
Target – Monster – 624*n – C = 0
C =<624; n being an integer.
C is the value displayed with the IV frame check code.

C + Monster Frame = Target Frame

Encounter or receive your Pokémon, and verify the IVs. Enjoy!

Video from bearsfan092:

Pokemon Black and White: C Gear Abuse for Legends and Wild Pokemon

Source code can be found on Github.
Can somoene reupload the file for downloading RNG Reporter 9.96? There is no links anyway...

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
im having an issue with pprng 1.15.1 running on my mac.

the program opens and loads fine, however i find no matter what i do, any search i try to run i get the "the following search parameters are expected to return more than 10,000 results.." yada ya

also in the config window it wont let me set a max value for my V Frame.. no matter what i type in the box and hit ok, it disappears and then in the main window shows VFrame: 6 -

can anyone help with this?

edit: borrowed a PC because screw dealing with all of that ^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 21)