A Midsummer Night's Dream (OU)

A Midusmmer Night's Dream

Introduction (Strategy)
It looks like a Standard team that you will find on every corner of the OU Shoddy ladder, but that doesn't mean, this are six OU Pokemon randomly put together in a team. As you can read below in the Team History, this team has used much time to build and has a lot of thinking and testing behind it. The strategy of this team is Synergy: All of them Pokemon work nicely together, which is central to the strategy of this team. I use two Stat-Uppers as an offensive core, and it is integral to this teams strategy that they cover each other's weaknesses well, as it provides them opportunities to switch in and almost always guarantees that at least one of them sets up and sweeps. However, not only the core works well together, but all other pokemon around it as well. Starting with Scizor and Celebi who cover each others weaknesses, or Heatran and Scizor where the former benefits from the fire attacks the latter draws like a magnet or Swampert and Dragonite that counter various Electric Pokemon depending on whether they're running Hidden Power Grass or Ice. Synergy is the key to this teams success and it has worked out great so far.

Team History (skip if not interested in the team building process)
After a long struggle to build a successful team, i finally managed to do one. I never got to make a purely offensive team, and every stall team I made looked very much like Obi's with a few changes, which I found very unoriginal. So, I went for a balanced team. I wanted a physical and a special Stat-upper that complement each other nicely and I really wanted to use Jirachi and Celebi.

Zapdos (bulky) Zapdos (Scarf) > Rotom-h (TrickScarf) > Heatran (Scarf)
With Scizor being probably the most common Pokemon in OU and a huge threat to any team, I really needed a solid counter for that monsterous bug. Zapdos made a great counter in the beginning, especially the bulky one, though I really lacked some offence. I went for a Scarfed Zapdos with Thunderbolt/Heat Wave/HP [Ice]/U-Turn, which gave me a great Scizor counter and a revenge killer for Gyarados and Adamant DDMence (who would be outrun thanks to scarf and Timid nature) but without Wish support I ended up dying to Stealth Rock since Blissey could easily switch in and force the Thunderbird out. A Scarfed Heat Rotom with Overheat/Thunderbolt/HP [Ground]/Trick came into mind. I lost the ability to Revenge kill Salamence, but I wouldn't suffer from the Stealth Rock weak and finally had a solution to cripple Blissey. When Latias became OU however, that whole strategy went down the toilet since a Pursuiting Tyranitar was on every other team and could switch in on anything, especially Overheat. So I needed a counter to Scizor that wasn't weak to Stealth Rock or Pursuit, and if possible, had the ability to revenge kill Salamence... There is only one Pokemon that can do that successfully: Heatran. The burning robot frog was a great choice for this team. Explosion would keep Blissey and Latias at bay, and Heatran also has the wonderful ability to revenge kill SD Lucario.

Jirachi (Scarf) > Jirachi (CM)
I originally started with a Scarfed Jirachi that had Iron Head/Ice Punch/Fire Punch/Trick, which was pretty successful, but I struggled to find a suitable Special sweeper that was still pretty bulky and not of the Psychic type, since it would pretty much mean that Tyranitar raped my team if he was accompanied by things that can remove his usual counters. So, I decided to give CM Rachi a try. I went for Sub/CM/Flash Cannon/HP [Fighting] but ended up being beaten by Gyarados. The Psychic/Thunderbolt combo didn't really help either since Magnezone, Celebi and Tyranitar are pretty common. So I tried to find some STAB with good coverage, failed to do so, however. I also tried Psychic/Water Pulse, which was ok, but Empoleon, who was pretty common at that time, was giving me a headache, and of course, Celebi totally walled me. I only managed to beat those two when able to set up properly and getting lucky with Serene Grace, which means Water Pulse's confusion and Psychics SpDef drops, so I might give it another try these days as I really like having STAB.

Celebi
Celebi has always been a member of my teams and for very good reason. It is unbelievably sturdy and one of the best Gyarados counters out there. I started with Grass Knot/Earth Power/HP [Ice]/Recover, which could beat common threats such as Lucario, Metagross, Gyarados, Breloom and Salamence and kept Heatran from switching in freely, but fell to Scizor, so I decided to change it to Grass Knot/HP [Fire]/Thunder Wave/Recover. This was pretty useful as it still had the ability to beat Metagross, Breloom and Lucario and also having a solution for Salamence and Infernape on the switch. Since I didn't have a PHazer on this team, I had trouble with CM Rachi and similar Stat-Uppers. When Latias became OU i got raped by any Team that had CM somewhere in there and also had a hard time getting past Blissey. So I gave Perish Song a try, which proved to be really helpful. Not only did it beat the common Calm Minders (especially those with Sub) but also worked as a sort of PHazing to force more Stealth Rock damage. U-Turn, so I don't fall to things like Umbreon and Dugtrio and for general Scouting. I miss HP [Fire] or Thunder Wave once in a while, but seing those Calm Minders struggle with Perish Song makes it really worth the change. It also saved me arse a couple o'times against last Pokemon CM Rest Suicune and Curselax, so yeah!

Tentacruel > Starmie (Life Orb) > Vaporeon (Wish) > Swampert
I always run at least one water type on my teams, to keep various things like Heatran and Infernape in check. Due to the prevalence of Toxic Spikes that could really hurt my team at that time, I went with Tentacruel (Toxic Spikes/Surf/Rest/Sleep Talk), which also served as a Special Wall, somewhat and countered Infernape nicely. However, it lacked a lot of offense so I changed it to Starmie with Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Recover. It worked out well, but a third Psychic Type made me vulnerable to Pursuit. Since I could really use Wish support, I came up with Vaporeon (Wish/Protect/Surf/Ice Beam), which helped against Infernape and Salamence, though I got in trouble when the opponent had a Blissey (or a Zapdos), since my team was now quite vulnerabe to Electric attacks and was almost purely special. It came that also Stealth Rock started to look more and more attractive as it would help me turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs and 3HKOs into 2HKOs. It also would help a lot against Zapdos, Gyarados and Salamence and would add some protection against Bellyzard. Swampert came into mind, obviously: It can set up Stealth Rock, is immune to Electric attacks, can use Physical attacks and has te ability to counter Heatran, Metagross, Tyranitar and Elctivire. That's how that frog creature ended on my team eventually.

Lucario (Scarf, physical) > Gallade (Scarf) > Machamp > Duknoir (Choice Band) > Azumarill (CB) > Scizor
This is the Team Spot i struggled with the most. I needed something that could counter or revenge kill Tyranitar (to a lesser extend: Blissey) and in the case of Lucario, revenge kill Gyarados and Salamence. The Scarfed Lucario had Close Combat/Crunch/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch, though it didn't really have the power to sweep since it had to be Jolly in order to outspeed Adamant Salamence after a DD. I decided to forego Speed in favour of Power so I changed Lucario to Adamant Gallade who can run a similar moveset but with considerably more Power. Close Combat/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch/Night Slash was the set I used here, though I replaced Thunderpunch with Psycho Cut a but later in order to be able to take on Machamp leads (I was leading with Gallade at that time). Rotom spoiled this strategy quite often though and forced Gallade to switch. Machamp was the next thing I used, with reasonnable success. I went for Dynamic Punch/Stone Edge/Bulk Up/Encore, which could be really annoying for the opponent. I wasn't satiesfied yet, however and changed that to a CB Dusknoir with Focus Punch/Shadow Sneak/Fire Punch/Trick, though this made me extremely weak to Tyranitar, especially since I was running Tetacruel back then. I tried to merge those to Pokemon together (read: something that can take on Blissey and Infernape) that also had the ability to hurt Tyranitar. The obvious Choice became a CB Azumarill with Waterfall/Ice Punch/Superpower/Aqua Jet. It could OHKO Blissey with Superpower, Scare Tyranitar with Waterfall and Aqua Jet and revenge kill Ape with Aqua Jet. Azumarill was a great success, though Toxic Spikes started to hurt it, which is why I ended up with Scizor. He packs even more of a Punch but doesn't have the ability to kill or threaten Infernape in any way. So Azumarill remains a considerable option.

Gyarados (Bulky) > Kingdra (DD) > Dragonite
Well, first of all, all of these worked great on this team. Gyarados was a huge plus, since it could shut down Forretress, Skarmory and various PHazers as it had DD/Waterfall/Stone Edge/Taunt. An overall great Pokemon, but as mentioned before, Electric attacks were giving mea hard time. Kingdra eventually replaced the flying Sea serpent. I went with a bulky EV spread of 252HP, 24 Atk, 232 Spd and DD/Outrage/Waterfall/Rain Dance. I would use Rain Dance first turn to outrun about everything and power up Waterfall. Thanks to Kingdra's great defensive typing and bulk, as well as the good coverage provided by Outrage/Waterfall, I ended up sweeping quite a lot of teams, but again, Toxic Spikes began to become a problem and Kingdra was often forced to use Outrage early on, making it easier to revenge kill. I always loved Dragonite so I decided to give it a go. The main reason I chose him over Salamence was the greater bulk and the ability to use Electric attacks, so he wouldn't be countered by Gyarados and Vaporeon. I originally went with Thunderbolt to take on Skarmory easier, but I had to split the EVs and use a Hasty/Naive nature, which hurts it's bulk. So that is how Thunderpunch found it's way into the moveset. Love this thing and it has swept quite often.

Well, so much for the building process of this team, without further ago, let's go into detail:

The Team

We fairies, that do run
[...]
From the presence of the sun
Following darkness like a dream

Nick Bottom
Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed
240 HP, 216 Def, 52 SpAf
Ability: Torrent

- Stealth Rock
- Surf
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Description: One of the few pictures where swampert doesn't look like a total twat;-). Now anyway, Swampert makes quite an ok lead. He's not one of them "Suicide-bombing" Azelfs. So, he's bulky enough to run if he get's taunted and come back in later to set up the Rocks.
Well, it should be pretty obvious why them Stealth Rocks are in there. It really helps to wear down Zapdos, Gyarados and Salamence who can be a real pain in the arse once in a while. A bit unusual EV spread, but it packs a lot more of a punch. However, I'm considering to change it to to Relaxed, 212 HP, 240 Def, 56 SpA with Ice Beam and Surf mainly for Hippowdon and Scizor.

Synergy: Swampert adds an Electric resistance which is unbelievably useful. Even though none of my team members are weak to Electric, none of them (barring Celebi) enjoy a Thunderbolt off a Zapdos' 125 Base Special Attack. Swampert also makes a good switch in for Heatran and can serve as a backup counter to Scizor (CB Bullet Punch does pitiful damage). Jirachi also doesn't like Swampert at all.

Weaknesses: Grass (4x)
Resistances: Steel, Poison, Fire, Rock
Immunities: Electric

Titania
Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP, 220 Def, 36 Spd
Ability: Natural Cure

- Perish Song
- Grass Knot
- U-Turn
- Recover

Description: Well, Sub-Stat-Uppers (Sub CM Rachi / CM Latias / CalmCune, etc) were always given me trouble, as did Baton Pass Teams or Breloom... Celebi's Perish Song completely solves this. It also helps against something like last Pokemon Curselax. U-Turn replaced HP [Fire] because I ended up dying in my own trap a few times (damn Dugtrio). Grass Knot really hurts Gyarados alot and makes sure me team doens't get walled by Swampert. Celebi is almost irreplaceable, cause it's a very hard to kill. I love it, really^^.

Synergy: As I said, Celebi protects me from SubCMRachi, or CMcune and counters Swampert and Gyarados rather nicely. It also works excellently with Heatran since they both cover each others weaknesses. Speaking of that, Celebi also adds some very useful resists to this team, most notably Electric, Ground, Fighting and Water. It is also one of the few Pokemon who beats CMrachi with the Psychic/Thunderbolt combo thanks to Perish Song. Overall, a central member to the team.

Weaks: Bug (4x), Poison, Fire, Ice, Dark, Ghost, Flying,
Resists: Water, Ground, Electric, Grass, Fighting, Psychic

Hermia
Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Naïve
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Ability: Flash Fire

- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Explosion

Description: It's getting hot in here: Heatran is just brilliant. She's a great revenge killer to various threats thanks to her great resistances and somewhat impressive speed thanks to Choice Scarf. Lava Plume is there for it's high burn rate and cripples many of Heatran's counters, such as Swampert, Tyranitar, Gyarados and Flygon. Earth Power has good coverage alongside Lava Plume and lets me revenge kill Infernape and other Heatran. Hidden Power Ice is for the Dragons (Salamence locked into Outrage^^) and OHKOs Gliscor and Explosion is when Heatran is low on health or no longer needed. Latias and Blissey really don't like it^^.

Synergy: Heatran adds a boatload of resistances to this team and works nicely with Celebi when it comes to defence as they cover each other's weaknesses. The fire immunity is also very handy on a team with Scizor. Heatran also keeps various threats in check, most notably Scizor and Lucario. She also is me best switch in to those annoying Rotom.

Weaks: Ground (4x), Water, Fighting
Resists: Bug (4x), Steel (4x), Ice (4x), Grass (4x), Dragon, Flying, Normal, Psychic, Ghost, Dark
Immunities: Fire, Poison

Lysander
Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant
208 HP, 252 Atk, 48 Spd
Ability: Technician

- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit
- U-Turn

Description: What a beastI Scizor's power is just increadible if it avaids it's counters. The Speed EVs outrun minimum Speed Magnezone iirc, te rest is pumped into HP to give it a great deal of bulk. Bullet Punch is a great move to revenge kill weakened foes and really hurts Tyranitar (especially those DD versions that can become dangerous). Superpower is mainly for Blissey and OHKOs most Heatran on the Switch. Pursuit Punishes fleeing opponents like Celebi and Gengar (the latter is in trouble when a bit weakened and will have to decide: "Will I get OHKOed by Bullet Punch or Pursuit". Latias doesn't enjoy U-Turn or Pursuit either. Pursuit also works great with Perish Song as it will force the opponent to die in the trap or loose a great deal of health from a CB Technician powered Pursuit off a 130 Attack Stat.

Synergy: A great Revenge killer of many sorts that also has great resistances and keeps various threats like Tyranitar in check. As outlined above, it also works great with Celebi thanks to the Perish Song - U-Turn- Pursuit Trap and draws Fire attacks that activate Heatrans Flash Fire ability. Wouldn't want to miss him, really.

Weaks: Fire (4x)
Resists: Dragon, Dark, Ghost, Psychic, Steel, Ice, Normal, Bug, Grass
Immunities: Poison

Puck
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Timid
252 HP, 76 SpA, 180 Spd
Ability: Serene Grace

- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Description: The first part of this team's core: CMRachi. The moveset seems a bit odd, i know, but it provides perfect coverage. The other combos i tried that had STAB (Psychic/Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon/HP [Fighting]) were all countered too easily. The former was safely beaten by any Celebi (especially those with Perish song) or Magnezone, whereas the latter was a free switch in for Gyarados, Zapdos and Rotom. Thunderbolt/HP [Ice] is also something I'm considering but it still can't hurt Magnezone and doesn't do enough to Lucario and Tyranitar when in trouble. EVs are to outrun positive natured speed base 90 Pokemon (180 EVs because HP Fighting lowers the Speed IV to 30).

Synergy: As I said, the first part of my core. Dragonite and Jirachi work wonderfully together and I can usually set up with at least one of them. I absolutely love this little guy. Jirachi also adds a great deal of resistances to this team.

Weaks: Fire, Ground
Resists: Dragon, Normal, Psychic (4x), Grass, Ice, Steel, Rock, Flying
Immunities: Poison

Oberon
Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Jolly
88 HP, 244 Atk, 176 Spd
Ability: Inner Focus

- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Thunderpunch

Description: The first thing you will notice is that this Dragonite has Thunderpunch over Firepunch... There is a reason for it: Outrage/Earthquake hits everything neutrally except for Bronzong and Skarmory. The formers usage has decreased massively in the past couple of months and the latter is hit just as hard by Thunderpunch. However, I found that the most common switch ins to Dragonite are Water types, especially Gyarados and Vaporeon. Especially in the case of the former, Dragonite would have to switch out or lock himself into Outrage. A +1 -1 Thunderpunch OHKOes Gyarados, however, solving that problem. The ability to use Electric (and Ice Attacks) is something that Dragonite has over his cousin Salamence. There also is another reason why I use DDnite over DDmence: Bulk. Dragonite cannot be revenge killed by Scarftran since it has Yache Berry, which allows him to survive HP [Ice]. Yes, Salamence can do that too, but Dragonite can't be OHKOed by Naive Heatran's Dragon Pulse either, even with Stealth Rock taken into account. The Speed EVs generate a Speed stat of 164, which outruns all positive natured Pokemon after a Dragon Dance. (However, I'm considering going for 72 HP, 204 Atk, 232 Spd, which outruns Choice ScarfTran after a Dragon Dance.) Dragonite is an overall great member on this team, and thanks to Thunderpunch, has given me a few suprise sweeps here and there.

Synergy: The second Part of this team's core and it works perfectly with the first part since Dragonite and Jirachi cover each other's weaknesses. Choiced Pokemon locked into an Earthquake are great, since it gives Dragonite the ability to switch in for free and DD on the switch. The same goes for Scarftran locked into Fire Blast, btw, which Jirachi seems to draw like a magnet. Overall, Dragonite is a surprisingly bulky and reliable Pokemon and adds some very useful resistances to the team.

Weaks: Ice (4x), Dragon, Rock
Resists: Fire, Water, Bug, Fighting, Grass (4x)
Immunities: Ground

Issues:

Infernape: Mixape can be quite a problem (especially if it has HP [Ice]). Heatran can revenge kill it but apart from that, nothing really. I thought of replacing Swampert with someting else that can handle it, but that Electric immunity and Stealth Rock is just really useful.
Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock: Really annoying stuff. Dragonite really hates the latter, whereas Celebi and Swampert are not particularly fond of them former.
Zapdos/Rotom/Gengar: Well, any team without Blissey or Snorlax struggles against them, doesn't it, however, they are quite hard to counter for me team.

Threat List

Tyranitar: Swampert takes it on rather well, though it struggles against Dragon Dancers. Scizor works great, as it can revenge kill it with Bullet Punch.

Gyarados: Celebi is the best Counter. Grass Knot will 2HKO (3HKO when really unlucky) after Stealth Rock. Just hope it doesn't get lucky with an Ice Fang freeze or flinch and I should be fine. If it runs Waterfall and Earthquake, Dragonite can also switch in. Celebi's Perish Song works great against Bounce versions, as a +1 Bounce usually doesn't OHKO.

Infernape: This is a bit troublesome, depending on the set. Clever switching is my best bet here. If it doesn't run HP [Ice], Dragonite makes a good switch in on Grass Knot or Fire Blast (the only thing that attracts Close Combat on this team is Heatran). Heatran can revenge kill with Earth Power and physical versions are handled by Swampert.

Azelf Not much of a concern, really as most of them are suicide leads. I just have to make sure I get a Steel type in when he explodes. Heatran helps a lot here, since it resists Explosion, Psychic and Flamethrower. It also is my best bet against Nasty Plot versions as Scarftran outruns, is immune to Flamethrower and resistant to Grass Knot and Psychic. Scizor can revenge kill with Bullet Punch when the Sash is broken.

Latias: Can become difficult, but I can usually play around it. Perish Song keeps it from Calm Minding up and can Start the trap to remove it by Scizors Pursuit. The latter can also take it on with U-Turn if it only runs Dragon Pulse, and Jirachi can Set up too if this is the case.

Rhyperior: Celebi and Swampert.

Electivire: Swampert is a great counter. Celebi can also take it on rather nicely.

Heracross: A bit trickier than others, but clever switching against Choice Band versions helps. Heatran can revenge kill and really doesn't mind switching into Megahorn. Swords Dance versions are revenge killed by Heatran and Scarfed ones can be a Nasty surprise at first but usually end up as set up fodder for either Dragonite or Jirachi.

Metagross: Swampert makes a great counter except for the rare case it runs Grass Knot. Celebi can force Agility versions out with Perish song, since Ice Punch won't OHKO even after Stealth Rock.

Gengar: Less common than it used to be these days. Switching helps a lot, depending on the set. Jirachi beats it, if it has a CM or a Sub up. Scizor can really hurt it with Bullet Punch.

Salamence: Not much really, but I usually can play around it. Swampert usually switches in, Heatran revenge kills those locked into Outrage, Scizor's Bullet Punch also hurts, as does Stealth Rock.

Togekiss Set up fodder for Jirachi. Heatran can Explode on it, if it gets bad.

Lucario: Heatran takes it on rather nicely if it avoids Close Combat. Jirachi revenge kills those that have used CC already, Swampert, otherwise.

Weavile: Jirachi sets up on it, Swampert can also take it on an Heatran can revenge kill.

PorygonZ Jirachi, if it avoids Status from Tri attack, Heatran revenge kills, as does Scizor's Bullet Punch (usually a 2HKO).

Slowbro (CM) Celebi's Perish Song. Psychic/Ice Beam versions are a good oppurtunity for Jirachi to Calm Mind up.

Jolteon: SpecsJolt is beaten by clever switching. LO Jolt can be more troublesome. Depending on the set (read: HP [Ice] or HP [Grass]) Dragonite or Swampert. Heatran can revenge kill with Earth Power (or just about any other attack, as Jolteon is quite frail). Perish Song punishes any attemps to Baton Pass

Snorlax: Perish Song keeps Curselax from winning, Choice Banders can be outpredicted as my team has great resistances and RestTalk versions have never been an issue really.

Zapdos That's rather tough to counter but possible. Again, the decision is between HP Ice or Grass. Heatran loves to switch into Heat Wave and Jirachi can even set up on bulky versions if it avoids Status.

Blissey: Jirachi Sets up if it avoids Thunder Wave. Perish Song makes sure I'm not walled by Blissey as the last Pokemon and Scizor really frightens it.

Rotom: Hate those guys. Heatran is my best bet if it switches into Heat Wave or Will-O-Wisp. Swampert works too depending on the set, as does Jirachi.

Heatran Swampert, mainly. Dragonite can switch in on Fire Attacks and laughs at any set that runs HP [Grass] over HP [Ice].

Jirachi: Swampert takes on most physical versions, Celebi walls Special versions and keeps them from Calm Minding up thanks to Perish song. Heatran also hurts it.

Celebi Heatran, mainly. Scizor too. Jirachi sets up on it if it doesn't have Perish Song and avoids Thunder Wave.

Swampert: Celebi is the best counter around.

Gliscor: Swampert switches in on the Defensive Set (especially if I decide to run Ice Beam over Ice Punch). Celebi foils the Baton Passer with Perish Song and Heatran outruns non Rock Polish Sets and OHKOs with HP [Ice]

*******​

Now, That' it. Thanks a lot for reading and a great "cheers mate" in advance for rating. Any comments are highly appreciated. :pimp:

Swampert could ice beam your dragonite and your celebi as well as surf your heatran and eq your jirachi, plus set up stealth rock to kill your nite.

Just be sure to get that grass knot in before it wreaks havoc on your team.

To further abuse Dragonite's bulk, I think maxing HP could be useful, allowing you to nearly always survive two CB Scizor's Bullet Punches, but you don't have leftovers nor Roost, so I doubt it would be that helpful.

Speaking of Scizor, he can put masses holes into this team or even sweep it late game with Heatran out of the way. Since most pokemon can sweep with their counter/check eliminated, I will just proceed with the former. CB U-Turn is going to hurt all of your pokemon, save Heatran and Scizor, very badly. None of them, barring Heatran, can really threaten Scizor, since he has your only fire move. Scizor could predict and use Superpower, which is going to hurt everything as well, except Celebi. I don't know what to suggest you get rid of, as the team seems to have great synergy, but I think Rotom-A could work well if you have problems with Scizor.

On tran, fire blast is better than lava plume. I would suggest making the speed evs on scizor 56, it is very unpleasant for scizor to be out sped by the occasional skarm of t-tar that runs just a few more speed evs.

Hey there Cerulean, long time no see! (I used to be called Goldfan) How are you doing ^_^

First off, I don't see why you aren't running MixPert, I feel that as a general rule it is superior to physical pert, and it will help you out against bulky physical phazers such as Hippowdon and Skarmory who may otherwise be a bit annoying. I see no disadvantage of changing. I would run Stealth Rock / Surf / Ice Beam or Avalanche / Earthquake. Ice Beam will hit Dragon Dancing Salamence harder, unless they decide to attack right off, although DD is probably their only chance against you, but Avalanche will hit any attacking Salamence or any Latias harder. I tend to prefer avalanche, but its probably not a huge deal.

You mention also your problems with Jirachi's moveset, have you considered running a 3 attack Calm Mind Jirachi. Although Substitute can be very useful at times, the only thing that its really protecting Jirachi from is paralysis in terms of status, and often there is nothing really wrong with blind Calm Minding, especially seeing as your teams aim in generally to try to remove CMJirachi's counter anyway. The set would be Calm Mind / Psychic / Grass Knot / Thunderbolt, which provides almost perfect coverage. Admittedly you still have problems with Celebi, but the rest of your team doesn't really, and you can run HP Ice should you really wish to. This is more of a discussion because by o means is 3 attack Rachi perfect, but it might be worth testing out.

Addressing the specific weaknesses that you have brought up, Infernape isa problem, I assume as a general rule, Heatran switches in on HP Ice / Flamethrower and covers it, and that probably works, as nothing except Heatran on your team actually draws Close Combats. I don't really want to say "If Pokemon x goes down, Pokemon y sweeps you" but I think that does apply here as Heatran is definately only a check, not a counter. No obvious switch leaps to mind, considering you have spent so much time revising it, I don't know if replacement will really work, you could retry CB Azumarill, you could also try dropping SuperPower on Scizor for Quick Attack, seeing as you have enemy Heatran nicely covered throughout the rest of your team, with the defensive synergy you have set up. Also Heatran will mostly be switching into U-turn or trying to revenge you, so I don't know how often you actually use SuperPower, unless you are deliberately trying to catch Heatran out, which you don't actually have to do, you can "beat it normally." So consider changing to CB Azu and consider changing to Quick Attack.

Again I don't see a nice fix for fitting something to deal with Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes on, Heal Bell on Celebi will work quite well, as it will remove Toxic temporarily, but to be honest, only Swampert really cares about Toxic Spikes. Dragonite doesn't like Stealth Rock, yes, but I disagree that its that bad, because really you should only be using Dragonite for mid / late game sweeps anyway!

Scizor does for Gengar I think 90% of the time and Swampert / Celebi should deal with Zapdos forcing Stealth Rock damage, and eventually you can wear it down. It is not a huge issue for this team, it's more kinda "this is something I must play around" as no team can really cover everything. The same really kinda goes for Rotom. I guess DD Mence or Mix Mence might be better over Dragonite if you want to cover those two, simply because he will be faster and able to revenge kill them better, so that might be worth considering. The new MixMence set especially might be good for to be a real wall-breaker for your team.

Overall just a few suggestions. It is probably in your best interests to test them all out, and see how they work. It's nice to catch up with you and see what you have been working on too, congratulations, and an excellently made RMT, I really appreciate the effort you put into this, good job.

Okay that was insanely long, but I got to admit that you did a spectacular job at constructing this team, and the synergy is great. I'm not going to screw around with the structure or anything, but I think there are certain areas that can be improved slightly. Alright starting off with Swampert I want to get into your decision of changing him to a MixPert. I don't see it benefiting you a whole lot if you want to do that for the sole reason of hitting Hippowdon and Scizor harder since they both are dealt with good enough as it is, and those two normally wouldn't switch into him anyways. Plus, Waterfall will cause enough damage to Hippowdon, so I disagree with running Surf / Ice Beam. Surf would probably deal with Rotom a little better, but besides that it's more of a liability. In most situations Roar might work over Waterfall too if you're worried about Celebi doing all the phazing by his self. Celebi is better at fighting off CalmCune than Swampert is due to the switchs that Perish Song provokes, and Swampert won't last long against CM boosted Surfs. You're worried about Toxic Spikes more than anything else it seems. Most of your team is immune to it anyways so take my advice and don't worry so much about it. As for Stealth Rock, you're going to face it nearly every match anyways and only Dragonite fears it. He's there because you obviously preferred a physically bulky Dragon which is why you didn't go for Salamence, but all in all you did a good job with him although Salemence would most likely perform as a superior Dragon in terms of offense. Anyways, I'd run Fire Punch or Fire Blast over Thunder Punch to deal with Metagross along with other Steels who will inevitably switch in while you are Outraging and proceed to get rid of him, especially Scizors who will attempt Bullet Punch you to oblivion.

Alright getting to a few Pokemon that hinder you I'll start off with Infernape. You will see a lot of these early in the match, so if you can try to get Swampert to score a OHKO with Earthquake against them. You absolutely need to watch out for Grass Knot though, as nearly all of them will be carrying that obviously. Barring acutal switch ins against Infernape, ScarfTran can deal with him due to the great damage caused by Earth Power, but a smart ScarfTran user will not recklessly switch in to him because Close Combat will total him. From a special attacking perspective, Heatran has Infernape covered as he resists all of those usual moves like Grass Knot and HP Ice. As for Zapdos, I know they can be a problem due to their un-resisted coverage of Heat Wave / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice or Grass, but if you play your cards right, there are a few possibilities of eliminating him. They obviously cannot run Hidden Power Grass and Hidden Power Ice at the same time, so if you find out which one they have, you'll have the advantage. I think running Leech Seed over Recover on Celebi can enable you to stall it out and force a switch, then if it lacks Hidden Power Ice you can switch into Dragonite and proceed to do at least 2 Dragon Dances assuming he's at reasonable health or possibly even full health and KO him with Outrage. Alright on Jirachi I want you to drop Shadow Ball for Psychic; Psychic + Fighting coverage is only resisted by pure Psychics along with a couple of dual types Psychics like Celebi and Latias for instance of whom aren't a huge threat to begin with. That way, you have a STAB attack to work with while at the same time maintaining an attack that's able to hit SE against Gengar like Shadow Ball did as well as gaining coverage against Infernape who you could possibly hit on the switch in if you're lucky.

These are just a few general suggestions that might help you out but your team is great as it is and I wouldn't change it in any significant way. Again the format was pretty awesome and I hope you can cover up those weaknesses with my ideas. Anyways, good luck with your team. ^_^

dude i was looking for teams to copy because i couldnt make my own good one. i copied yours and WOW this team goes hard. this is a very good team and thunderpunch on dragonite is genuis. people always switch their gyarados into him just to see it die. i found that mixpert works better than adamant pert

Hey mates, first of all, thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll try me best to use most of them as they seem very useful.

@ Cost: Swampert really doesn't worry me, seeing that Celebi is probably the best counter to any form of Swampert. Swampert can't 2HKO Celebi with Ice Beam, not even after Stealth Rock, so I should be fine there.

@ blaspehmy1: Yeah, Scizor could possibly hurt a lot once Heatran is down. I'll look into the Rotom formes, test them on Shoddy to see what I gain/lose with Heatran/Rotom. The bulky EV spread on Dragonite seems tempting, however, I'd miss out of quite a bit of offence there and as you said, without Roost or at least Lefties, there would be not much to gain and removing Yache Berry greatly hurts his potential as I'd probably had to change around the whole moveset (like, squeeze Light Screen in there or something like that)

@ - -. I'll test FB over Lava Plume, though the 100% accuracy + the high burn rate has often proven to be a lot more useful than the raw power of Fire Blast.

@ Imran: Hey there. Sure I remember you, you were the one that helped me out a lot with my first Platinum team. On your suggestions: I tried MixPert and it truly seems to be better. It loses a bit of Power by removing Adamant and the Attack EVs but gains a huge deal of bulk, which is pretty handy. I haven't come across a Latias yet, so Avalance vs Ice Beam is still undecided, since Physical Attacks hit Latias a lot harder. But the power gain from Ice Beam without having to wait to be damaged may prove more useful, seing as I still got ways to play around Latias.
I'll test the 3 Attacks CM Rachi to see whether Status becomes a huge problem or not. I'll also certainly test some different move combinations that include STAB, which might pretty often prove to be more useful than perfect coverage. The Infernape problem still get's me, so I will try both Quick attack and CB Azumarill, but the huge drawback would be the inability to revenge kill a weakened Salamence (something Bullet Punch can but Aqua Jet can't even if the latter has far better coverage).

@ Solidus: Thanks ^_^. I will certainly test your suggestions and try to fit in Psychic (or if it works better Flash Cannon) in there somwhere along with a move that can complement it nicely. Murdering Infernape on the switch or from behind the sub also seems really appealing so Psychic will almost certainly find it's way into Jirachi's moveset.

@ shofu: great! thanks for testing it then^_^

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time and effort to rate this team so far. If there is any moe to improve, please just rate along.

bump

For Jirachi's attacks, I tried Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt; Psychic/Thunderbolt; and Flash Cannon/HP [Fighting] so far, none of them really shone. Swampert was a problem with the first one, Celebi for the Second and a boatload of pokemon (Gyarados, Skarmory, Swampert, Rotom, Zapdos) for the third. Any suggestions?

Also replaced Superpower with Quick Attack on Gliscor, which helps me picking up weakened Infernapes and stuff like that.

man i've been testing this team for a few days now and realized that scizor is a huge problem. i think celebi definitely needs hp fire over u turn. would you rather let a scizor threaten you all game or have the very small chance of a dugtrio trapping you in your own perish song? im sure scizor is much more common. heatran cant safely switch into scizor, as scizor might predict and use superpower, which i had to learn the hard way. swampert is 2hko'd by superpower after 1 swords dance, and fails to kill even with the defense drop.everything is is fine though. i've changed u turn to hp fire and i'll be testing it for a few days. i'll let you know how it works. also, lava plume is very weak. i know it could or might get a burn, but it doesnt happen often enough. maybe its just me

Swampert can run Hidden Power [Fire] over something that you see less important to counter Scizor reliably. Celebi has the risk of eating an X-Scissor on the switch-in, which removes it as a viable counter check.

Swampert can run Hidden Power [Fire] over something that you see less important to counter Scizor reliably. Celebi has the risk of eating an X-Scissor on the switch-in, which removes it as a viable counter check.
yes, it is impossible for celebi to switch into scizor

I ran Swampert with HP [Fire], but I really miss Surf here or there... Also I found that Infernape is still a huge threat and that Heatran can actually hurt an awful lot if it's not Scarfed (Sub WoW are really annoying). Any ideas? The team does still pretty well, but these are just obvious flaws that can hurt me a lot. Scizor with Quick Attack is great. I can't hurt Lucario and Heatran switch in's though, but at least I can revenge kill weakened Infernape...

Hey, I'm new here, and thus don't have anything to say about your team except that I loved all the nicknames you gave them from one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I think the names are very suiting for all of them!

Cool team, I think. I like the way use listed the previous pokemon for each spot on the team... like how Tentacruel eventually became Swampert, etc. It reminds me of how I think... lol.

Anyway, this is just a random comment, but as a fellow scizor user I fear Bulky Zapdos (especially with HP grass) MUCH more than do Heatran. Most Scizors carry some form of fighting attack, so there's always that chance of switching into a Superpower or whatever. Just saying.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Try fire punch on dragonite, possibly over thunderpunch, it will give your team a way to deal with scizor.

First off, let me start by saying those are awesome pictures. Where'd you find them?

I don't think you need U-turn on Celebi. Dugtrio really doesn't switch into many Celebi's seeing as how bulky you are. I'd change that back to HP Fire.

Psychic / thunderbolt has always worked well for me on Jirachi, but if you don't want that then try Flash Cannon / HP Ground. That's not countered so easily.

You don't have something to take status, besides Celebi but it hates Toxic and stuff anyway. You can try this LiechiNite which has been working well:

Dragonite @ Liechi Berry
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD (working on a better spread)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage (Up to you)
- Earthquake
- Substitute

The key to this set is Substitute. You avoid status, Leech Seed, and other stuff. Many walls like Celebi or Cressalia can't even break your subs which allows you to DD up.

Then you sweep, obviously. If you don't think you'll be able to kill the foe, just Sub down to your Liechi Berry.

This is a pretty standard, yet solid team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)